Previous   Next

Where do you go to enjoy nature?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 27, 2006

Browse the archives

“Clinton and Lone Star Lake for sure. I especially like to hike in the area around the Woodridge campsite at Clinton and go swimming at both.”

“Actually I go play disk golf myself. Usually at Centennial Park, but sometimes at the one in North Lawrence.”

“I really enjoy going camping at Lone Star and the Konza Prairie is pretty cool.”

“If I’m not going very far, I go to Lone Star Lake. If I’m driving a ways, I go up to Grand Marais on the shore of Lake Superior.”

Comments

happygolucky 8 years, 8 months ago

I was thinking of camping in the roundabout at 19th and barker, or maybe the one out by Clinton lake.

jonas 8 years, 8 months ago

The basement, there's lots of mushrooms and things growing off all the corpses I keep down there.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

Where do I go to enjoy nature?

Outside!

H_Lecter 8 years, 8 months ago

Jonas,

Do you have lunch plans? I could bring a salad if the mushrooms are fresh.

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 8 months ago

Our Yahoo group will be enjoying nature next weekend at Camp Gaea. Its beautiful out there and this will be my 5th camping trip there.

The camp sites are clean and well kept. Of course there are rules you have to follow, but at least we don't have worry about being quiet by 10pm like we had to one year at Clinton Lake.

neopolss 8 years, 8 months ago

I enjoy my nature with a magazine and 2-ply paper. Have a nice bathroom adds to the experience. Sometimes I can finish the entire Sunday paper in one "nature" sitting.

plop

Charla Welch 8 years, 8 months ago

We (as in the hubby and I) usually go camping around Lake Perry. But we like to go everywhere.

My favorite place to really get out and "enjoy nature" is Granite Hot Springs, back in Wyoming. It is still my favorite place to camp, and we always make a trip to the hot springs pool up in the mountains when we go visit my parents. I also love enjoying nature at my family's ranch back in Wyoming. You can stand in one spot and see for miles in every direction. And if it rains, you can smell all the sage.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

My backyard, or one of my neighbors' backyards.

Deer, skunks, groundhogs, badgers, 'possums, snakes, vermin of all kind, the occassional mtn lion (sure, I know they don't exist here rolls eyes), dog killing coyotes...I even found a falcon in the chicken coop one morning. Yep, I think I get all the nature I need right here.

Neo, thanks for sharing your "call of nature" with us. That was truly special! Over or under on the 2 ply?

Call to botanists: I have a "Jack in the pulpit" coming up for 3 years now in my front (full sun) flower bed. What's up w/ that?

enochville 8 years, 8 months ago

sun_sue: I know you asked neo, but over for me.

shotgun 8 years, 8 months ago

It used to be Johnson's Shut Ins State Park in southeast Missouri. The park is currently closed due to a Ameren U. E. reservior breach which flooded it with millions of gallons.

It was such a beautiful and serene place, I am curious to see how the area looks in the aftermath of the practices of the "Evil Utility"

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

TOB, I agree -- Paula Abdul is not natural.

acg 8 years, 8 months ago

Well I live in the woods on a lake so I have nature every time I open my door. But I also go on an annual float trip to the current river (which is the best place around to float). The water is clean and cold and the area is beautiful. This makes me jones for summer.

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

I am Nature and Nature is me. I just enjoy being me. Besides, there are too many bugs in the woods, and in the grass, and in the air, and all about. I don't much care for the bugs of Nature.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

Hannibal, some of us think you should have Paula Abdul "over" for dinner.

Over.

Out.

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

Actually, if I want to commune more with Nature, I just stop using the deodorant for a few days. But, I can't say I really enjoy it.

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

Although I live in a rather large city (1 1/2 m.) I can enjoy nature out of both my front and back windows. We have 5 large white rabbits that we feed (bird seed of all things) all winter in the back yard. Then we noticed two pheasant hens joining them this spring. We also have little red foxes that cavort on the river back across the street.
But the best of all is to gaze in wonder at moma and papa eagle as they soar on the thermals. And this very morning I was thrilled to see them joined by junior. He had finally hatched. How wonderful!!! There are also squirrels that visit the bird feeder. Sometimes you just have to look to see what is around you even in the city.

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

Under and curses on anyone who changes the direction. :o)

BrianR 8 years, 8 months ago

Definitely the Zoo Creature thingy on Channel 6. That's about as wild as it gets.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 8 months ago

The Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. It rocks!

Thorny_Ramathorn 8 years, 8 months ago

After the way JPT described it, I'll be heading out to Riverfront Park!!

Chrissy Neibarger 8 years, 8 months ago

Shotgun- I LOVED Johnson Shut In's.. we used to go there twice a summer as kids. GREAT place, or i guess it used to be.

We always go on a float trip in southern mo or ark. This year it's down the big piney river. Love nature, of course i have so many pets in my house, we have nature all year round!

Kyle Neuer 8 years, 8 months ago

Apostle Islands in Lake Superior, Pt. Reyes Nat'l Seashore, Big Basin Redwood State Park, Voyageurs Nat'l Park, Isle Royale

Ion_Joe_Snaps 8 years, 8 months ago

acg, O-bob- bringing back the memories! Quite fond of the current, though I think my favorite trip was once on the Buffalo during spring rains. We dumped once, but had a great time with the rapids all the same. Horrifyingly, though, my folks liked to go around Halloween each year cuz all the people were gone, so occasionally we would be canooing when snow was falling.

Everyone was having so much fun with alternate sign-ons, that I buckled down and made one I've had kicking around for some time now.

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 8 months ago

My favorite place is St. Joe Peninsula Park in the panhandle of Florida. It is so beautiful. White sand beaches and lots of lush vegetation. You can even hike further and get to the primitive cabins that are so secluded. Its a cool place. I also like camping in Estes Park, CO in the national park area. I also enjoy sitting in the back yard and watching birds and horny squirrels!!

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

neopolss - you made my day :o) he he!

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

I have this little cottage on a lake nearby and love to sit on the deck and watch the birds and squirrels, but since my little furry companion, Camille, died, it is rather lonesome. My good man won't come out there as long as I allow my other companions to inhabit the place. Little brown bats. Have you ever seen one up close? They are quite beautiful. Now if there were black snakes there, Sue, I would be out of the like a bat out of he((. Pardon the pun. I hate snakes. And a six foot one would give me apoplexy for sure

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

Wow. Mountains of points to ms_canada for using the word apoplexy. What a great word.

Speaking of snakes, I got a great story from my parents. They live in an old farmhouse, and she was heading into the basement. She opened the door at the bottom of the stairs, and something fell from the ceiling, hit her shoulder and fell to the floor. She was confused ... until she saw the snake slithering away. Fortunately, we're light on poisonous snakes around here, so it was no big deal. But talk about nature coming to find you!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Ms_C, black snakes are nice critters. Except when they get into the chicken coop. We just catch them and put them where they can eat some mice, instead. Now, the rattle-headed copper moccasins are the ones to avoid. We have quite a few of those around too. If it had been one of those in the yard, it would have been food for the lawn mower.

Funny story: I was selling my "old" house and there was a nice couple from Alaska that I was showing it to. As we walked outside, she asked "There aren't snakes here, are there?" She no sooner got it out of her mouth when we almost stepped on a big blue racer. It was coiled up and striking at us. I just laughed and asked her if she had seen enough. I'm thankful for that snake as I really like the people that ended up buying the house instead. (Good thing since they are our neighbors, as well.)

p.s. "Apoplectic with rage" is one of my favorite descriptions.:o)

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

I got the apoplexy once, out in the woods on a float trip. But, my ex-wife, we were friends then, made it all better.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Just remember: if you have an apoplexy, a good shot of TPA might do the trick! (Get it within the first 3 hours.)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Apoplexy education day:

Warning signs: Sudden... Weakness or numbness on one side Difficulty speaking Severe headache Blurred vision in one eye Loss of balance and dizziness

P.S. Don't mistakenly believe that apoplexy only happens to old people! It happens to young, healthy, verile and gorgeous people, too!

Get to hospital ASAP, or dial 911

public service anouncement now over and I'll return you to regular programming

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

Uh oh. If apoplexy happens to young, healthy, virile and gorgeous people, then this entire board is at risk!

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

"It happens to young, healthy, verile and gorgeous people, too!" It sure does! Cause it happened to me. But, maybe I don't really know what the apoplexy actually is. I might think its something else entirely.

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

I guess, cause you look like you're not packing, and you need to be.

shotgun 8 years, 8 months ago

Hey fleeba,

The Big Piney is the only stream left in MO where you can float on weekends and not be in a canoe demalition derby!

paladin 8 years, 8 months ago

Wow! Sounds good. Why'd you stop doing outrageous stuff like that?

kcwarpony 8 years, 8 months ago

Glenwood Springs. Colorado. I know of a huge flat rock right on the bank at the confluence of the Roaring Fork and Colorado Rivers. It's amazing to sit there and watch and feel the power of the water as it goes by. Getting there is a great. You go through Glenwood Canyon on I-70. Beautiful high canyon walls. Just remember to make pit stops before entering. Only way in or out is westbound and eastbound. If someone has an accident, I-70 is shut down. No roadside to relieve bladder pressure! That would be another accident... Only exit within the canyon is for Hanging Lake, at least for the parking lot. The lake is a one mile or so hike straight up, very steep!* I feel a road trip coming on :)

*Hike to Hanging Lake recommended only for those with a low risk of apoplexy.

l_eustacy 8 years, 8 months ago

The Mulberry in Ark. is good w/wwater at 1.9 or above. It's gradient is steeper than the Buffalo. Doesn't have the cliffs of the upper buffalo though. Subject to the same rain needs as the Buffalo - best in April or after a good rain.

Water level gauge: http://www.turnerbend.com/river_gauge.html

7thplanet 8 years, 8 months ago

I think temporary apoplexy is caused by blood rushing too quickly to member engorgement.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

every day, walking with gnomedog. then he enjoys nature, too, sniffing, looking, pissing on it, etc. but seriously, daily walk is very good for the mind and body. even on busted up sidewalks which make trails in the sierras seem tame sometimes.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

whew, at least there's one thing I don't have to worry I'll get!

^over^ and why would any one do otherwise? paper gets stuck on the wall...etc. no, STOP IT!

trinity 8 years, 8 months ago

uh! where be the ots for friday??

somebody broke the ots! i need a klondike bar, stat!

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

Usually when you cycle through questions you wait at least a month to reuse one, just as a common courtesy.

I will probably watch the first round of the draft, at least until the Chiefs pick, then I will move on to something else more than likely.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

following the draft, WITH WHAT? lisol?
what a question steeped in dumbth!
here's a better question for today:

if you were stranded on a desert island, or a dessert isand, take your choice, and you could have exactly one cable tv channel to watch until your rescue, which one would it be? and, now, what cable tv channel would you create which doesn't exist now.
answer to latter, I'd create the "all live events channel" if there's a car chase, it is on there, even if it is in Ukraine. no, no tape at all. that'd be cool tv.