Previous   Next

Why is it important to celebrate Earth Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 23, 2006

Browse the archives

“To spread awareness of what needs to be done - what avenues we need to take for a better future.”

“It’s important to recognize the beauty of our world, and it’s important for generations to come.”

“It’s important to care about our environment. It’s kind of like Valentine’s Day. It sucks that you have to make up a day to remind people of what’s important, but if that’s what you have to do.”

“To raise awareness about pollution and protecting the earth.”

Comments

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

Well, I fired up the lawn mower and cut for about fifteen minutes after which time the thing went "Clang, clang,laid enough smoke to fog an orchard and then BANG!"

The lawn mower became a candidate for the "Visible Crankcase".

Having heard those sounds before, I openend a PBR which is the best beer for cutting grass, sat on the fender of the '39 Chrysler and cogitated.

Tried to call Manny, the illegal immigrant who runs the lawn service but no luck.

He jokes about his nickname being Manuel Labor.

"Well!", says I and off to WalMart I went.

Found a freight damaged unit with a 6 hp Briggs for a hun so I loaded it up and returned to the casa at which place I cut down everything over 4" high.

Moles, mice, cricekts, grasshoppers, bunnies and even beetle all scurried for their lives but to no avail as the next step was to spray organic bug getter all over the place!

Had assistance from Ben but even that was not enough to finish before the rain so in the morning at 8 a.m. sharp; never mind the sleeping neighbours, the city code says 8 a.m., I shall again attack all which is green!

Thanks.

Marion.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

yes, the nado didn't quite bother lawrence, guess the roundabouts frustrated it, you know, didn't want to get ticketted for rotating the wrong way or something... but here in fashionable east lawrence we had an amazing hail storm, lasted for more than 15minutes, some were two inche. whew, that would hurt. gnomedog is still terrified.
the next storm seems to have died down where it was, and we're okay now...at least for now.

didn't catch the BBQ in the weather its okay.
hope you get some rest MD.

avicado buying trip...he's branching out? sounds a little seedy to me.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

Pronunciation: 'flem Function: noun Etymology: Middle English fleume, from Middle French, from Late Latin phlegmat-, phlegma, from Greek, flame, inflammation, phlegm, from phlegein to burn -- more at BLACK 1 : the one of the four humors in early physiology that was considered to be cold and moist and to cause sluggishness

now, there's a day to celebrate: "phlegm day.!

horrific_changeling 7 years, 12 months ago

Why is it important to celebrate Earth Day?

Because we could always on a place very far from there!

Multidisciplinary 7 years, 12 months ago

b_g..I hope you got the steaks off the grill before the hail hit!

We didn't get it with the first attack, but the young one has been glued to my lap. It looks like we'll be in for it later, and as usual..no sleep tonite..again!

omb, if you're up as usual, call! I never get sleep.Oh, right, he's on an avocado buying trip.

Happy Birthday Reticent..that's a lot of info from you tee hee. (in bed)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 12 months ago

S.S.

you told me no rain,

I could have put down that stuff...

Where is Katie when I need her.......

I cleaned up before i ran, got chinese for my birthday dinner..

Multidisciplinary 7 years, 12 months ago

They claim it had a funnel over Lawrence, between 6th st and 15th st, west of the Iowa, (even further,not as far as Wakarusa, but they didn't list the N/S streets and I couldn't be certain of which one it was) but the storm weakened quickly.

Multidisciplinary 7 years, 12 months ago

Thanks bg, had no clue and we were watching a cable channel..sounds like it's even worse and headed here crap their talking rotation at 6th $%^..channel five was targeted on lawrence now they went back to programming..aauugggh

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

if you're reading this in the next little while, you better check the weather! we're under a warning, and a tornado is warned for in southern Jeff Co.

of course I knew Cheney was CEO of Halliburton, did rather well with that too, despite how you liberals like to make it out to be the heart of darkness, halliburton is a good company doing stuff nobody else would. started as an oil field services company, my grandfather was a k-state educated petro engineer for them. he created some jelly-looking stuff that when pumped into old wells, brought more oil from previously dead wells.

as to AlGore, is management skills of the 2K campaign support my claim. further, he chaired a commission in the 90's which actually prevented greater air security measures being required of the airlines. yet he emits some amazing noise these days.

Bea, you mean you eat steak? how earth-unfriendly of you...you want that tofu?

lunacydetector 7 years, 12 months ago

celebrate earth day by flushing your low flow toilet twice. ain't it nice?

beatrice 7 years, 12 months ago

oh bearded, you must know that Cheney also used to be the CEO of Haliburton. I don't care how much you don't like Democrats or Al Gore, you wouldn't actually want Cheney in charge of something like your personaly air and water quality, now would you? I know I wouldn't. Sadly, he probably isn't the worst of the oil company CEOs out there. Plus, saying Al Gore "couldn't run anything except into the ground" is silly hyperbole and does nothing toward civil conversation -- kind of like people who say things like "Bush is the stupidest person on the planet." It gets us nowhere. Unless you were just kidding, of course.

By the way, I would like my steak medium rare as well, thank you. Hold the golf balls.

paladin 7 years, 12 months ago

You probably don't ever actually flush golf balls. These toilets are just capable of doing it. And, I'm given to understand, that's a fine thing for a toilet to be able to do. All I know is, all the people who have purchased them are mighty proud of them. Biosolidsman's sidekick=Lilfart.

pelliott 7 years, 12 months ago

One strategy to do with the current level of pollution, petroleum use and the rapid materialization of global warming is, is to concentrate on , since it is so late in the game, environmental practices that will be useful as suvival skills in a ecologically and culturally destroyed world. When all the weather changes what can we grow locally most efficiently. Petition politicians to allow environmental building within current code rather than by exception. Put grey water practices in law and in your homes. It is not to late to start doining something different today. Maybe just get the legal right to hook up your washing machine discharge to your garden. It maybe too late to change what will happen but not to change how it effects us. Y2K is nothing to new winds blowing, ocean currents changing, and maybe in hundreds of years the suvivors will still have the world wide web.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

now, why in heck do I want to flush golfballs? rather flush golfers?
sounds weird...flush golfballs????

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

okay, SS, how you like yer steak marinated in soy, lime, ginger and garlic?

dick cheney did actually run a successful couple of businesses. for example, he was CEO of that company when Equal the sweetener was put on the market.
lot better than AlGore, who couldn't run anything except into the ground.

being earth day, and on the subject of toilets. and RE the Biosolids story of the other day.
I want to introduce lawrence's newest superhero: BIOSOLIDSMAN! yes, he flies about in a brown cape, with gold letters "BM" on his chest.
personally, I think that when he's not in his tights, Biosolidsman is actually Marion.
wonder who'd be Biosolidsman's sidekick. hmmm.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

OK, it took about 3 billion gallons of water to get all that dirt, sunscreen, DEET and RoundUp off of me. But man, does my yard look purdy! Hope you got a ride, RI. I wouldn't have you gunking up my car, either. Composting potty? Isn't that an outhouse?

Gnome, steak on the BarBee is a wonderful idea! I like mine medium rare so don't overcook it, OK? I'll bring a fork.

horrific_changeling 7 years, 12 months ago

I hear roots tearing themselves from the ground, trees running from his yard as I type. They've been through this before, they know what happens when he's had a 12 pack and gets friendly.

macon47 7 years, 12 months ago

for earth day weekend i drank a 12 pack and am taking the empties to lonnies as soon as i get a bag full when i get my cash i will get another 12 pack and go hug a tree

paladin 7 years, 12 months ago

b_g- I know where you can get a toilet that is guaranteed to flush 18 golf balls simultaneously. But, its gonna cost ya.

beatrice 7 years, 12 months ago

bearded: Get a Toto brand toilet. Seriously. Lower water usage, and it works every time. We have had one for years and have never once had a problem or had the need for a plunger. Plus, being concerned about the ecology of our one and only planet isn't wacko - it makes perfect sense to care for the thing that provides us life. Who would you leave to care for the planet -- Cheney? Hope your grandkids like wearing gas masks just to go outside.

easy_mark 7 years, 12 months ago

The Friday Walmart post is now up to 297 posts..a great deal are now a few guys taking pot shots at each other late at night. Will it make 300? What's the record? Does anyone win a LJW free subscription or coffee mug or anything?

bearded_gnome 7 years, 12 months ago

earth day...celebrate it by lighting up the grill and throw on a big ol' hunk of meat!

don't think we should celebrate it, as it is currently ecowacko day.

thanks to the ecowackos AlGore brought into the federal government, we now have low-flow toilets...no, I'm not making this up, and though it is funny, as in the black market, [which really exists] for full flush toilets, this is serious. in a misguided attempt to save water, using my own toilet as an example, we actually use more because to prevent clogs and increased frequency of plungering, we must flush more often. even then, it has to be plungered about once or twice a week. thank you AlGore and the ecowackos! do you think the founding fathers, had they known what water closets were, would've wanted the big ol' clumsy federal government regulating the volume of your toilet flush???

I also disagree with earth day on this principle: there is no "wind day," no "fire day," nor is there a "water day." [four greek elements. or, we could celebrate days for the human humors, lets' see "blood day" "lymph day" oh yeah, flegm day." there's a good one.
happy earth day, and when you turn that steak bathed in wonderful grill smoke, remember how you love the earth!q

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 12 months ago

S.S.

This stuff is dark like molasses, I just won't lick it off if it spills.

I'm ready to make that run into town.... if you pick me up its like car-pooling. (keeping with the spirit of Earth Day)

I'm covered in sawdust, treebark, chain oil, 2 stroke exhaust residue, chemical residue and my sweat..... I don't want to get MY vehicle seats dirty.

I'm ready to go anytime you show-up.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

RI, In my experience, unless they put dye in the product to show you that you spilled it on yourself, you should live for a while anyway. If you are done breeding, I say go for it. Can't be any worse than the chemicals they put in a public swimming pool! My little one went swimming in a hotel pool last night and came home today sicker than a dog! YEASH!

OK, break time over...back to round up the weeds.

conservativelibertarian 7 years, 12 months ago

I just wonder if Captain Planet and the Planeteers thinks we are doing enough to save our dying planet on earth day? if not, then why not raise awareness 365 days a year? isnt our precious planet worth more than one celebration a year? i'll just bet there will be as much trash in the city tomorrow as there was today.

beatrice 7 years, 12 months ago

rt: I'm glad you agree with me - always a first time for everything : ) - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything to stop Global Warming. I don't agree with your math on the percentage of knowledge of earthly science. Scientists actually do have some of it figured out, and what many are saying is scary. To ignore what they are saying for the sake of present-day convenience could prove the biggest mistake human beings ever make.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 12 months ago

Speaking of walmart, All the recycled/green materials they used to build the entrance to the original new store on 31st...... trashed hauled off to landfill.... to be replaced by cheaper new non-green material

ibroke 7 years, 12 months ago

Lets all go to walmart on earth day

older_gal_with_bulging_abdomen 7 years, 12 months ago

I think Earth Day was and is a great idea! We all need to pitch in and do our share to help keep our planet looking good!

And speaking of looking good....

My!, that David Lee is a pretty handsome fella, don't you think?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 12 months ago

S.S.

Do I really need to suit up in tyvek and the mask/gloves to spray this stuff? Its too hot for that.. Tee shirt and shorts ought to be ok right? It says a teaspoon on the skin is fatal, I'm not gonna be pouring it on myself.... damn all these warnings..... but if they are too small to read with out a magnifiying glass... they must not be important.

rightthinker 7 years, 12 months ago

by beatrice:

'Earth Day is a band-aid for a severed artery.'

That gets the point across beatrice....I concur 1110%.....but it is understatement of the millenium.

This earth is just waiting to incinerate us and flick us off like a bothersome knat. Nobody, I mean nobody should ever be so arrogant as to think they have even a fraction of a thousanth of .0000000000001 percent of this whole thing figured out.

beatrice 7 years, 12 months ago

Earth Day isn't important. Setting aside a single day to consider the damage humans are doing to the planet is like trying to fill the Grand Canyon by occasionally tossing in a rock. Earth Day is a band-aid for a severed artery.

Liberty: I sure hope your God does something to correct the effects of Global Warming, because the people who claim to worship Him sure aren't doing anything about it. Raising one's voice about the effects of Global Warming isn't the same as being anti-God. Instead it is about being terrified of what the future holds when it comes to the well-being of the planet. Earth Day isn't about worshiping the earth, but about protect it against those who would exploit its resources. I absolutely agree with you that there are plenty of natural and renewable resources available to us that should be used for energy.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 12 months ago

No rain?, then I should have run around last night with the spreader... no hail here, better than the last time I ran with the spreader.

ms_canada 7 years, 12 months ago

I have to echo liberty's post. He said it all. It is a gorgeous day here in Alberta and I just returned from worship service praising our Lord for His beautiful creation. I think earth day is a good time to stop and think about all the beauty that we were given. If you don't have any beauty in your neighbourhood, maybe you could find a way to band your neighbours together and create some. Yestetrday a group of people from my church gathered together and armed with garbage bags and rubber gloves combed the entire neighbourhood around our church and cleaned it up. What a good idea to pass on.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

RI, You really are crackin me up! You know, DDT's 30 year life span runs out this year. I predict large swarms of locust will plague the earth soon.

I've already made my 20 mi round trip @ 16 mpg this morning and will be firing up the "beast" to mow my acreage this afternoon. For now, though, I'm going to go pull weeds using nothing but my hands powered by food (no doubt picked and prepared by illegal immigrants) and I shall cover my body in SPF 8000 and DEET.

P.S. I ain't gonna rain...ever!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 12 months ago

OPPS Forgot I have to roto-till the garden (another 1 gallon gasoline), and cultivate the flower beds with the mini-tiller (1/4 gallon 2 stroke fuel).

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 12 months ago

Would it be better for men to celebrate MARS day, and for women to celebrate Venus day? BTW, I am enjoying the day, buring 4 gallons of gasoline, 1/2 qt of 30w oil to mow my yard, 2 gallons of gas to trimmer mower the edges, 1/2 gallon of 2 stroke gas to weedeat/brush cut other areas, 1 gallon of 2 stroke gas to chain saw downed tree's (these I will burn in an open firepit for ambience only). I will probably need to run to the hardware store, 24 mile round trip @ 14 mpg.

On the other hand, I am requiring one of my offspring to dig post holes with the hand post-hole digger, rather than firing up the 2 stroke auger, for the badmiton/volleyball court.

Oh, I am also going to spray dandelion killer, and probably some vegetation killer today. If it was gonna rain, I would put down some bug killer crystals to take care of the ticks.

Happy Earth Day!

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

Ya know, Liberty, you're going to get pounded by the Libs for your post and although I am not a Christian, I think that your post is one of the nicest that I've seen on this board in a long time.

Thank you.

Marion.

Liberty 7 years, 12 months ago

It is a fine day as long as we worship the creator God, not those "things" (like the earth) which He created for us to enjoy. (To worship things that God created instead of worshiping the Creator God Himself would be idolatry).

Earth day should be renamed "Energy Day". Energy Day may help people realize the need for new energy devices and look to the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob (our Creator), to ask the true and living God for His help in developing these devices to improve our way of life.

rightthinker 7 years, 12 months ago

Earth day should be:

1. No machinery runs--nothing, no cars, planes, power plants, lawn mowers, TV's, radios, blenders, battery chargers, hair dryers, stoves the list goes on forever.

2. Noone showers

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

BorderRat wrote:

"Posted by BorderRat (anonymous) on April 23, 2006 at 11:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Ethanol power is nothing new. John Deere produced a tractor during WWII that ran on gasoline, kerosene or ethanol. All the farmer had to do was adjust the engine timing depending on what fuel they could get. The government even provided plans for a small still to produce your own fuel. Too bad we forgot about it for 60 years."

Marion writes:

Yes, it is also too bad that so many are overlooking the cheapest way to manufacture ethanol; the use of solar powered stills.

Stills are one of the few devices which can simply be enlarged to meet requirements.

Solar energy may be used directly or stored for later use via a variety of storage systems.

A good treatise on the use of solar energy in the production of ethanol may be found here:

Would you guess that I am a proponent of ethanol as a fuel for internal combustion engines?

Thanks.

Marion.

prospector 7 years, 12 months ago

It depends on which day.

Everyday needs to be Earth Day. You are just a guest here, so leave it nicer than you found it.

BorderRat 7 years, 12 months ago

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

It was the mice who created things.

Thanks.

Marion.

Multidisciplinary 7 years, 12 months ago

lulu needs to evolve.:D

I'm a faithful believer in the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Come, learn...evolve! http://www.venganza.org/

lunacydetector 7 years, 12 months ago

earth day wackiness. it all started when sesame street started indoctrinating our children with earth day this and earth day that. now, lulu worships the earth.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 12 months ago

Gockenspiel wrote:

"Posted by glockenspiel (anonymous) on April 23, 2006 at 10:08 a.m. (Suggest removal)

When you make ethanol, you are basically distilling pure ethyl alchohol, which is quite illegal by current laws (its basically Everclear). Besides, the stuff is highly flammable and dangerous in large quantities, so I think most people would understand the need to regulate its production."

Marion writes:

Production of ehtanol is in no way illegal anywhere in the USA.

Production of ethanol for use as alcoholic liquor is regulated, taxed and subject to additional state and local controls.

Ethanol produced for use as industrial solevetn or fuel is untaxed but still regulated.

I refer you to BATFE:

For tax-free (industrail users):

Other information about licensing may be found here:

The ignition temperature of ethano is 425 C.

The ignition temperature of gasoline is 260 C.

Alcohol is actually a much safer product to use as fuel but requirres engines with higher compression rations and advanced electronics to realise maximum efficinecy.

Alcohol wil burn with a light blue to colourless flame which can make things interesting.

Thanks.

Marion.

Drew_Carey 7 years, 12 months ago

Sorry, I've was out of town yesterday... 1000 pts for everyone coming to ms_c's defense, and trying to set howard beale straight on what's allowed and what's not.

1000 pts to kcwarpony for the howard beale link..classic.

And 500 pts to anyone who eats green boiled peanuts!

Better bought fresh in a gunny sack from the market, boiled for hours with salt in a pot at home by your Grandmother down in Georgia, eaten sitting on the front porch swing, waiting for the 4 pm shower, while the chameleons climb along the fence rail, their tails snapping off if I try to catch them.(Hours after you've enjoyed watching your mother brush your little sister's hair back into a ponytail so tight her eye's looked slanted in the morning.)Ah, those were the days. And your step-granddaddy drove a bus with that wonderful change-making machine on his belt, and had that particular beloved smell. Years later I would learn that's the smell of old men who never bathe.

There's a bit of Earth Day for you! The Deep South Farmer's Market, green beans, peaches, and a front porch swing. I don't remember if they had air conditioning back then. Every thinks green when they think Earth Day. Never forget Georgia Red Dirt! (And Green Kudzu:Everywhere)

glockenspiel 7 years, 12 months ago

Lulu 7 years, 12 months ago

Earth Day is a joyous and Momentum occasion to worship our Mother Earth. She is a wonderful lady who does not like pollutants infesting her body like festering cold sores. I want to name her Kyoto.

happygolucky 7 years, 12 months ago

You have to let the hippies have their day. Just don't Bogart and pass to the left.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

It's a great way to teach the kiddies that we are ruining the earth. I went in to the elem. school and planted flowers and put down mulch with the kiddies in the "outdoor" classroom but that was just a band-aid. I'm really not sure what it taught them. Maybe it will give some of them an appreciation for the outdoors, digging in the dirt, and making things look pretty. I guess that's all good.

Speaking of "earth day," when will we start making our own ethanol or biodiesel in our backyards? I've heard (no I cannot site the source) that the govt. is wanting to impose a large fee on people who are doing this already. Anyone heard anything? Maybe we should be teaching the kids how to make biodiesel instead of planting flowers.

Sis tells me that Lawrence post office will be on CBS Sunday morning in a bit...gotta go watch. Didn't they do the post office story last year?

Sigmund 7 years, 12 months ago

I used to mow my lawn on erath day, now I hire a illegal mexican college students. They work harder, for less money, and don't complain when I pay them only half of what I promised. I thijnk it is only fair because I pay taxes for their tuition and they don't.