Previous   Next

What is your favorite track and field event?

Asked at Kansas Relays on April 22, 2006

Browse the archives

“Shot-put. It’s got a beat to it. You need to use a beat to know when to release it.”

“Hurdles. There’s a lot of drama, especially in the 100 meter. There’s a little more danger in it. Jumping over objects at a full sprint is exciting. One mistake and it’s all over.”

“Javelin. My brother is competing in it. I like to watch them fly.”

“I’d have to say shot-put. You get to see a lot more aggression. You get to see who’s really here to throw.”

Comments

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

To watch: pole vault, high jump

To participate in: shot put and discus...Yes, a million years ago I was 110 pounds of solid muscle! My girlfriend (fellow shot putter) and I were comparing our glorious biceps in math class one day and looked up to see the entire class staring at us. That was a bit embarrassing.

paladin 9 years, 4 months ago

I only like the running, jumping, and throwing. Everything else is kind of boring. The sack race is my favorite.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

Didn't Meatloaf (the singer) catch a discus upside the head or is that just urban legend?

ms_canada 9 years, 4 months ago

I have long legs, which served me well in my high school days in high jump competition. And that is what I really like to watch now. I like the way they curl their bodies up and over the bar. It looks so effortless and artistic,

paladin 9 years, 4 months ago

I have it on good authority the Meatloaf did, indeed, have an olympic size discus implanted in his head, inadvertently, it seems. Perhaps, that explains his strange appearance. And the nature of his singing.

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

Sunflower-Sue: "Yes, a million years ago I was 110 pounds of solid muscle!"

Really, no bones or organs or anything? Cool! How long did it take for you to evolve into your present state?

I was always fond of the high-jump back in school, but never competed formally in track, just gym class. Still I could jump a 5 foot bar without knowing the Fosbury Flop, just jumping straight over it. Had some air in school. Still do I guess. . . .

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

Paladin, if so, it worked. He is one of my all time faves!!!

Gotta go play pasture pool for charity. Ya'll have a good day! (Hopefully I won't catch anything upside my head!)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

jonas, still not fully evolved but I underwent a great deal of bodily changes through each pregnancy!

ms_canada 9 years, 4 months ago

howard_b - ok, you have made your point and the horse is dead. I really don't know enough about his accomplishments or non-accomplishments in the Oval Office to debate the point with you. So, let us agree to stop flogging the poor animal. :o)

geekin_topekan 9 years, 4 months ago

When is women's Olympic sand vollyball going to become a college sport?

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

howard_beale: Yes but he grew peanuts, so he was okay in my book. Dem' peanuts are tasty!

jonas 9 years, 4 months ago

Of course, I only really remember Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush, so unfortunately don't have the pick of any good presidents.

paladin 9 years, 4 months ago

JC is a good guy. He is a Naval Academy legend. He, evidently, only studied by helping other Midshipmen with their studies. Otherwise, he is reputed to have never opened a book.

Larry 9 years, 4 months ago

Pole Vault and Mile Relay. I competed in both events during high school. Although after breaking two poles within a time span of one month during my freshmen year, I never did quite trust the poles after that, nor did I improve much. Fortunantly, my high school had just invested in nice pits. Previously, we had to jump on the old foam pads that were put inside a big net. OUCH! Do any of you remember those old pits?

I wasn't that great, but the event of pole vaulting sure was fun to watch. Especially when you see beginners screw up on their approach, steps all off, plant of the pole is off and they get up to the height of the crossbar - straddle one side of the crossbar with one leg, the other side of the crossbar with the other leg, then come down on the crossbar. OUCH again! I did that a time or two in the beginning. OR before the event begins, some idiot is showing off to the girls by flexing his pole against the wall or in the pit. He does it so much that he breaks the pole and ends up missing the event or using someone else pole that isn't weighted specifically for him. I've seen beginners plant the pole poorly and end up being shot back out into the run way. Obviously I wouldn't have been laughing if people were actually getting hurt as can happen with this event, but over the years, there were plenty of funny scenes. Nothing compared to seeing a kid complete a good jump. That is sweet to watch and sweet to experience the thrill of riding that pole as it uncoils. Anyone else have any good stories from watching the pole vault? Remember KU's Jeff Buckingham?

Mile Relay was always the last event of the meet and the most exciting, if the team points were close and the team standings depended on the results of this relay event. I have some great memories from the Mile Relay.

Has anyone mentioned Javelin catching. That would be fun to watch.

paladin 9 years, 4 months ago

Javelin catching is much more challenging if you don't use your hands.

Larry 9 years, 4 months ago

Good point paladin. Hadn't considered that before.

beatrice 9 years, 4 months ago

howard_beale: Welcome! Our board needs a new village idiot! We are tiring of the old ones. So please, feel free to call people names, make outrageous claims about things that you clearly don't know to be fact, and keep beating away on a subject from one day to the next because we all know how easy it is to change a person's mind via an e-argument. And your taking on of Mrs. C., one of the nicest people around here, as your enemy on the Jimmy Carter (?) debate just solidifies your stand for new village idiot! Now, dance a little jig for us please.

paladin 9 years, 4 months ago

How could anyone get a mad on over poor, hapless Jimmy Carter?

sunflower_sue 9 years, 4 months ago

howard, aparently you don't know how this works. The LJW posts us a new ? everyday and we discuss that ?. We constantly veer off topic but we NEVER bring up old issues unless it's fruitcakes, roundabouts, or the highly known fact that one of our beloved Bobs likes to wear pleather. Now play nice. And if you attack our Ms_C again, we will all band to tie you to the middle of a roundabout, attatch lots of balloons to you, and flog you with wet noodles as we force you to wave at passing cars. :o)

p.s. I love Jimmy! (It's the farmer thing.)

Drew_Carey 9 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, I've been out of town today...

1000 pts for everyone coming to ms_c's defense, and trying to set howard beale straight on what's allowed and what's not.

1000 pts to kcwarpony for the howard beale link..classic.

And 500 pts to anyone who eats green boiled peanuts! Better bought fresh in a gunny sack from the market, boiled for hours with salt in a pot at home by your grandmother down in Georgia, eaten sitting on the front porch swing, waiting for the 4 pm shower, while the chameleons climb along the fence rail, their tails snapping off if I tried to catch them.(Hours after you've enjoyed watching your mother brush your little sister's hair back into a ponytail so tight her eye's looked slanted in the morning.)Ah, those were the days.And your step-grandpa drove a bus with that wonderful change-making machine on his belt, and had that particular beloved smell. Years later I would learn that's the smell of old men who never bathe.