Previous   Next

When was the last time you went Easter egg hunting?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 15, 2006

Browse the archives

“Probably when I was in the sixth grade. My parents hid them for me outside if it was nice or in the house if it was nasty.”

“Last year. I’m a Sunday school teacher. So I do it along with all the kids in my class.”

“About 15 years ago, when our kids were young. We just hid them around the house.”

“Last Easter at my house. I have a 4-year-old niece. I hide them and then help her find them.”

Comments

Multidisciplinary 8 years ago

hannibal..that's one message board I'm not going to..no way..hehehe..but the disclaimer at the bottom was funny!

marion..I have work to do D@##!T. But to get even, I'm going to send that D@#N link to everyone. :D

I'm a sucker for shooting galleries, no matter how pitiful or cute, you got me.

Where's Ron this time of night?

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

Try this:

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks.

Marion.

oldfashiongirl 8 years ago

Liberty and Ms-Canada,

Exceptionally well said-I couldn't have done it better.

Everyone have a joyous Resurrection Day!!

Multidisciplinary 8 years ago

Hey look what we just found....a juggler doing a parody of the Chris Bliss juggling video! He does the same routine, using 5 balls instead of 3! Don't forget to watch the last bit at the very end, with 5 balls in each hand!

Inmate, don't get nervous, it's only juggling!

paladin 8 years ago

A-singing "Ninety-Nine Bottles of Milk on the Wall....."

easy_mark 8 years ago

Derf got deleted..oh man, I missed it. Was it one of those days when they went crazy and deleted a whole bunch of people? Wow, I hope he writes.

paladin 8 years ago

I think that derf bit the dust. He was probly so disillusioned and heartsick and just so, well, depressed about being Deleted that he just threw all the cats in the car and took off West, for the coast, to Catlifornia to start over again. Re-birth, renewal and all that. That's what I heard.

easy_mark 8 years ago

Hey Marion, did you bag any rabbits yesterday?

I wonder that you didn't invite OMB as your hunting partner.

Derf....oh, Derf. come out, come out where ever you are! (Anybody heard from derf lately?)

paladin 8 years ago

I think that the Jewish people ate allot of hardboiled eggs and they ate so many of them that it got boring. So, they painted them lots of different colors so it wouldn't be so boring. Oh yeah, re-birth and renewal of hope and all that, too.

ms_canada 8 years ago

I might have gone hunting easter eggs as a kid, but have no memory of it. Easter has always been a religious celebration in my family, as a kid in a Catholic home and now in an evangelical home. As for Easter eggs. I wondered how they came to be a part of a Christian celebration. As many will know and as Liberty pointed out in his rather long comment, Easter is connected to the Passover celebration of the Hebrews. I looked this up and found that a hard boiled egg is part of the Passover meal, (the Seder). This meal is celebrated in Jewish households to remind them of the time that they were rescued from slavery in Egypt. The name Passover comes from the night when the angel of death swept over the the country killing all the first born Egyptians but passed over houses of Hebrews who had painted the doorposts and lintel with the blood of a pure unblemished lamb. It is a long story, too long for this venue. Suffice it to say that the blood of the lamb represented the blood of Jesus, the ultimate sacrificial Lamb who rescues us from the penalty of our sins just as the lamb did in Egypt for the Hebrews. I think the egg is a symbol of renewed life just as our lives can be renewed by accepting the sacrifice that Jesus made for us on the cross. Herein endeth the lesson for this day. :o)

horrific_changeling 8 years ago

yes paladin, I think you might be in danger of burning in hell for just thinking about it. No matter how much fun that thought might be. And let's try to not spend too much time thinking about the Easter Bunny and Foghorn Leghorn at the Sunset Drive In. I'm talking about on the screen people, get your minds out of the backseat...er, gutter.

Liberty 8 years ago

Ragingbear,

Sounds like an Indian name. Indians practice a blood covenant too don't they? Didn't blood brothers make covenant (agreement) together?

Also, a God that wants to bring you into His own family doesn't sound like a God that berates you. He already knows that you are not ever going to be good enough, so He sent His own Son Jesus as a sacrifice for your sins so you can be good enough in His sight for all eternity. It sounds like God loves you, no matter what you have done, because God has the power and can forgive your sins. I recommend a second look at this God. You may have more in common with Him than you first thought...

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

Since I cannot say 'I ++++ in OMB's general direction!", I will instead say "I poo-poo in OMB's general direction!"

Thanks.

Marion.

l_eustacy 8 years ago

Jonas,

o_m_b is making a subtle reference to a favorite person.

jonas 8 years ago

Posted by one_more_bob (anonymous) on April 15, 2006 at 9:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"I like to search in empty buildings where businesses have gone bankrupt to see what the ishtar beagle has hidden."

??

Ragingbear 8 years ago

If you successfully breed a rabbit and a chicken, then they will lay Cadbury Easter eggs.... Mmmm, pure sugur and diabetes......

And for you Christians.... You are worshipping a very strange vengful, wierd god that got into rubbing blood, ritual sacrifice of animals, human sacrifice, and constantly berates you for never being good enough. Learn the truth and behold the noodly appendage of the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Gootsie 8 years ago

One Easter we colored a bunch of raw eggs, then told my little cousin that the best way to start peeling them is to crack it on your head.

We got in a lot of trouble.

YourItalianPrincess 8 years ago

Tonight is the night for coloring eggs and having fun. I look forward to this every year with my boys. Even though my oldest will be 18 in July, my youngest is 8 and he still has fun coloring eggs and hunting the next morning. Both my boys get Easter baskets ( even the oldest-his items other then candy have changed of course ), but he still enjoys seeing what mom puts in there.

Have a wonderful Easter everyone.

Drew_Carey 8 years ago

100 pts for unite for best comment so far.

1000 pts for inmate, because it sounds like he's going to need some pay off this weekend.

Happy Saturday Everyone, and have fun cleaning up for all of those relatives, you really don't want to have to see so soon after Christmas and New Year's!

Easter, the holiday that makes you think, if we hadn't had kids, we'd be sleeping in today and the house wouldn't smell like vinegar. But the chocolate foil eggs are a nice payoff.

inmate 8 years ago

When I hear someone say, "It's time to hide the eggs", I get a scared sick feeling.

unite2revolt 8 years ago

My last Easter egg hunt involved a car jacking attempt in Topeka, that was three years ago.

unite2revolt 8 years ago

Paladin the reason the Easter Bunny hides the eggs is because she doesn't want her familiarity with Foghorn Leghorn to become public knowledge.

boogeyman 8 years ago

I remember the last time, I was beating all the kids to the eggs. I knocked a few of them down accidently. One little girl even cried. Guess I was a bit too aggressive because a couple of the moms got testy and told me that "the hunt was for CHILDREN".
I finished my beer and went home.

paladin 8 years ago

Do rabbits have to mate with chickens to get Easter eggs?

one_more_bob 8 years ago

Liberty 8 years ago

Easter is the celebration of the pagen god Ishtar. It is not a Christian holiday, but a pagen holiday. Rabbits and eggs have little to do with believing in the Son of God.

This is Passover Weekend. It was an old testament event which forshadowed the real event when Jesus the Son of God would be sacrificed on the cross (as a lamb without spot or blemish) and His blood spilled to pay for your sins instead of a lamb (animal without spot or blemish) being the sacrifice like the Isrealites used to escape from Egypt's slavery. (Notice that God always provides the sacrifice for you, in this case, the final sacrifice; Jesus the Son of God, and the lamb of God sacrificed for your sins).

The Isrealites took the lambs blood (a lamb with out spot or blemish) and used a piece of hyssop (hyssop is a limb of a bush which represents your faith today) and painted the blood on the doorpost of every house that put their trust in God's power to deliver them from the wicked slavery of Egypt and Pharoh's army. All who had this blood painted on the doorpost were safe from the destruction that would hit Egypt and their people.

Today, Jesus is the doorpost (place of safety) with His own blood painted on it from the cross. Jesus is the Lamb of God without spot or blemish. All who are found in Jesus, are safe from the destruction which will hit those outside of God's protection. He was the sacrifice that God the Father provided; Jesus died taking your sins on the cross and when you choose to believe that God the Father raised Jesus from the dead on the third day, you receive the righteousness (right standing with God the Father) and all your sins are forgiven forever and you become a son or daughter of God and join His family.

He plunges you into Jesus (like water baptism) and you are then safe within Jesus, who is the real doorpost, like in Egypt with the lamb's blood (the lamb of God) painted on it as a sign that you belong to God, none of God's wrath is to come on those within this place; this is a place of protection for those who believe and trust in God and His Holy (pure) Son Jesus.

This Sunday is Resurrection Day when we are reminded that Jesus was raised from the dead by the power of God the Father. This is what Christians celebrate, and one of the many reasons why you should become a Christian too.

Stop wasting your time hunting eggs, and discover the real excitement of becoming a son or daughter of God and learning all that God has to offer you today through His Holy Son Jesus the Christ! (Christ= 'The One sent from God', it is not Jesus' last name) Start reading the Bible today and start in the New Testament to learn what God has for you!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 8 years ago

Last year, I found the oddments up through July.

bretherite 8 years ago

Gee if it weren't for the "Christian Taliban" there would be no Easter.

paladin 8 years ago

En passo le ammunision!

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Easter, Easter, Easter! Praise the Lord!!!!

Lulu 8 years ago

When will people get hip and stop calling it Easter? Easter is for the Christian Taliban. It should be renamed Bunny Day or Jonas' humorous hunt for shrunken heads day. Separation of church and state People!

enochville 8 years ago

Last year, and I'll be doing it again today. We have 7 nephews and nieces all under the age of 6.

sunflower_sue 8 years ago

Last year. A good friend of mine had about a million people out to her house and she had about a gazillion candy filled eggs that I and several others helped her hide outside. Then we turned the kiddies loose. It was a success as most of the eggs were found and none of the kids got bitten by snakes.

busy, busy day. Adios amigos! And have a very happy Easter!

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

When I was a kid the best EAster eggs were the one that you didn't find for a few weeks.

The eggs would go rotten inside the shell and stink to high Heaven!

These foul smelling eggs could be used as hand grenades when playing army and woe betide the kid who got colbbered with one!

The kid would stink for days and have to take a zillion baths!

heh, heh

Thanks.

Marion.

jonas 8 years ago

A few days ago, except instead of eggs they were tiny shrunken heads