Previous   Next

Do you think Kansas Highway Patrol officers should carry Tasers?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 10, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I think they should. It protects them without having to kill the person. It’s another line of defense.”

“I think carrying Tasers would allow them to use it more frequently in less serious situations. Any weapon is a bad weapon as far as I’m concerned.”

“Yes. Officers can be confronted with more unexpected and dangerous situations. A lot more is at risk for them.”

“I really just don’t see the need for them to have Tasers to monitor the highways of Kansas.”

Related story

Comments

trollkiller 8 years, 8 months ago

Teach them Spanish so they can catch and deport illegal aliens.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

blue - but no matter what the situation is, throw in some silly string and it becomes a party. Everyone is happy and having a grand old time, no worries...

Yes, they need to be able to protect themselves.

craigers 8 years, 8 months ago

Sure why not. I just don't want to get tasered myself, so I will try to behave when they pull me over.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

omb, would the officer also be allowed to shake his index finger at the miscreant, too, or would that be considered excessive force?

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

sgtwolverine - I don't know, the officer's finger could poke the miscreant in the eye...

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

Katie_Horner, why didn't you warn me about this wind today? My hair is all mussed.

Any day that has the word "miscreant" before 9:00a is going to be a good day!

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

Is that a felony or a feel lonely? Couldn't tell :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Tasers, cattle prods...give 'em whatever they need.

Funny related story: A certain someone I know (that shall remain nameless) was in Orschlen's one day and decided it would be fun to "play" with one of the cattle prods on the rack. For some reason, the cattle prod was fully functional and he ended up zapping himself in front of the 4 kids he was in charge of that day. Guess the kids (and the nameless one) learned a good life lesson: "The most dangerous cattle prods are the 'unloaded' ones."

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do, K_H. Just remember that I could switch to Windy's owner....(Wendy???). We viewers are very fickle.

Anyone else remember the fickle finger of fate?

Liberty 8 years, 8 months ago

This may signal the beginning of disarming the police in exchange for "non-lethal" weapons.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 8 months ago

I am in full support of the Highway Patrol carrying Tasers. It is a dangerous job (in spite of Danielle's idiotic comment) and I-70 and I-35 are two of the largest drug corridor's in the country.

Yes, some subjects have died. However, (and this is the part that the media coveniently leaves out) in almost every case it was found that the Taser was not the reason the person died. Usually, they died because of their tendency to load their bodies up with dangerous and illegal substances that put their hearts into high gear. As a result, they died of heart failure.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

RI must have a thing for blonde, fertile, control freaks.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Inmate, How would you feel about viewing "Brokeback Mountain?" (Or should we just not go there?)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

So the solution is to take all the people off the highway. Then we could remove all weapons from the highway patrol. I mean, pavement doesn't get too violent. It usually just sits there.

enochville 8 years, 8 months ago

I am personally very pleased that law enforcement officers now how many different non-lethal weapons to choose from. I think that should use the least severe method necessary to protect themselves while enforcing the law. The less they have to pull out their guns the better.

I think they should have tasers, guns that shoot bean bags or rubber bullets, flashbangs, etc. But, they need to be trained how to use them appropriately and only use enough force to control the situation. Any police officer that uses unnecessary force, such as tasering an unarmed, handcuffed guy lying on the ground (that was not posing threat to anyone) should be charged with assault and fired from law enforcement.

adky 8 years, 8 months ago

If only LPD had Tasers. With their enthusiasm for wrestling with the mentally ill, we could have neighborhood Electric Shock Therapy. We would all live in a sunny place with bunnies and pretty flowers.....

Prod_The_Goat 8 years, 8 months ago

Nah-- if they're going to pump the criminals with a heat producing energy, why not just get it over with and use a flamethrower? We wouldn't have to worry about overcrowded prisons!

Or hunger, for that matter!

acg 8 years, 8 months ago

I feel better about them having tasers than guns. In a situation where adrenaline is running high and they're trying to control an unruly suspect it would be better to taser them than shoot them or crack them in the head with a baton or flashlight, right? And I would think that in the grand scheme of things people are less likely to die of being tasered than being shot. I've never really liked cops. Most of the ones I've come across have delusions of grandeur to begin with and then we arm them with a serious weapon and a license to do basically whatever they please but they do have one of the most dangerous jobs around they should get the tools that are necessary to keep themselves and others around them safe. But I also think they need to be trained when to use it. I've seen stories about cops tasering people that didn't deserve it at all. It shouldn't be one of those situations where it's like "LET ME SEE YOUR LICENSE AND REGISTRATION!! NOW!!" zapppzzaapp.

Prod_The_Goat 8 years, 8 months ago

Although, if they did make the switch, I wonder if people on the streets would use them eventually, too...

Drive-by zappings...

curiosos_husband 8 years, 8 months ago

sgt..I noticed this and thought of you..you might want to careful if you head up to Alaska.

Posted by Napoleon_Dynomite (anonymous) on April 9, 2006 at 5:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Local,

I agree with you about the pain animals feel. That is why when I go hunting I don't use weapons. It is much more satisfying to capture an animal with one's bare hands. There is nothing I enjoy more than hunting elk and wolverines in Alaska.

Horrific, Good point on the word "lick". It scares me just to hear it.

jonas 8 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone have any data past anecdotal evidence and hearsay as to what the number of on-highway altercations with law enforcement actually are in Kansas? Or perhaps how many times on a yearly basis officers have had to draw or use their guns to control a detainee?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

You know, there have been a couple times people have referenced hunting wolverines. I may never go to Alaska now. Too bad, too, because I hear it's gorgeous.

Thanks for the warning!

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

With my luck, I'd run into an Ohio State fan.

Although an OSU fan would be a Buckeye, which is an inanimate object, so I'd probably be safe.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Sorry inmate, I couldn't even get him to watch it with me! :*(

curiosos_husband 8 years, 8 months ago

sgt..maybe that sign should read,

Michigan Wolverine

Endangered/Protected Species (I carry my own taser!)

smackdaddy30 8 years, 8 months ago

I am glad to see that Danielle thinks troopers only patrol the Highways. They actually assist other local agencies by backing them on calls if they are the closest unit. Plus, she can't tell me there are never ANY dangerous people on the highways, COME ON, LAY OFF THE SHROOMS!!!

enochville 8 years, 8 months ago

from 6 to 7pm tonight on the History channel they are discussing non-lethal weapons.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

here's what my display now shows for the OTS list: Latest comment Do you think Kansas Highway Patrol officers should carry Tasers? (55 comments) -1 years, 12 months ago Should sex education classes include information about various abortion procedures and fetal pain?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

movie quote: "the peasants are revolting, sire!" "yes they are, I've seen them, and they certainly are revolting!"

thecuremobile 8 years, 8 months ago

As Danielle, who is getting harped on in this thread...just wanted to let you know that when approached on the street about this topic the reporter put the subject in a negative light and enjoyed my sarcastic response. He mentioned the accidental deaths and that's what triggered my response.

Personally, I own a can of pepper spray that I think is more threatening to a burrito than a criminal and since I'm nervous around guns, I like the idea of owning a taser for personal safety reasons. I'm not so concerned with anyone in the city of Lawrence being a threat, but not a bad idea for a girl who travels to big cities often.

The reporter and I also talked about the costs of obtaining these weapons and training each officer and where that money would come from and if the costs measured up to the necessity. So, I don't know, make of that what you will.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

"burrito?"
I can appreciate you were being sarcastic...the OTS reporter should've reflected that somehow! thanks for clearing that up...otherwise you appeared a very odd, irreal person.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

hit the dog with the can? 'night, going horizontally polarized now.

rousseau108 8 years, 8 months ago

"Danielle" or "thecuremobile", are you serious when you say you don't worry about anyone in Lawrence? what about the shooting that just occurred downtown, or the rapist that broke in to the apartments and raped the girls, or the people that knock old ladies down and take their purses in grocery store parking lots, people getting stabbed, or drunks that officers pull over who then try to fight and even grab for the officer's gun, etc, etc.? WAKE UP! Lawrence is not some little safe haven removed from the real world. there are real criminals and real crime. if someone pulls a knife on a cop and they're far enough away, i'd rather that cop could tazer them rather than being forced to shoot them when they ran at the cop, but that's just me.

Disgusted 8 years, 8 months ago

People should read a book called "L.A. Secret Police" by Mike Rothmiller and Ivan G. Goldman. I haven't read it all yet but so far it is terrifying. Mike Rothmiller is an ex-cop and he tells how they are trained to lie about people and arrest them for no reason, stop them in their cars and say they went over the line, how to inflict horrible pain on people without leaving signs of abuse, they jab them with pins and when the guy jumps around in pain they say he must be on drugs or something to start jumping around for no reason, the book is on Amazon for 26 cents, when I looked it up a few days ago. They are trained to hate blacks and arrest and abuse them every chance they get. And that's just in the first 53 pages of a 246 page book. Wake up everybody, don't give the cops any more weapons than they have now. They use them to torture innocent people.

Disgusted 8 years, 8 months ago

Go to the iWon site and look up gangstalking and there is a lot of information there and even a place to click where it shows the cops are in on it, too.