Previous   Next

Do you think Jackson County, Mo., voters should vote to renovate Kauffman and Arrowhead stadiums?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on April 5, 2006

Browse the archives

“I say yes. Better to keep the Royals and Chiefs instead of losing them like Cleveland and Baltimore did. If the people have the choice to keep the teams by improving the stadiums, it’s better than trusting the owners to stay.”

“Yes. I think that sports teams are important for the overall economy of the metropolitan area.”

“If the county is going to benefit from the renovations then they should. I guess it depends on how important the professional sports teams are to that community.”

“No, definitely not. I think the money should go somewhere else. It sounds like it’s going to help the sports teams a lot more than the people that live there.”

Related story

Comments

bmwjhawk 8 years, 8 months ago

I think they'll support the stadium improvements, but reject the roof. And, I think there will be a report on 9 cases of mumps in and around Lawrence.

enochville 8 years, 8 months ago

I have listened to the debate on this issue on NPR last week, but I still don't feel informed enough to offer an opinion. I could not participate in the vote, and it doesn't really affect me, so why should I spend my time investigating the issue?

neopolss 8 years, 8 months ago

Better question: Do you think the city should lift its ban on curbside balloons?

bankboy119 8 years, 8 months ago

I am in Platte, not Jackson county, so I couldn't vote either. People were extremely split on the issue. I do not think it's good that only Jackson county has to pay for it. Jackson is not the only county that benefits from these teams. On the other hand, I'm glad I won't see an increase in my taxes to support it.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

With all due respect to Karen, I seem to remember reading an article (a long while ago) that said that sports teams and stadiums ultimately aren't really much of an economic benefit. I wish I had something to reference, but I'm just relying on a faint memory.

Oh, and in reference to your post yesterday, Ron (whenever you read this), I'm not sure the Lions can really compete with the Cardinals for franchise futility. The Lions did have a string of championships (and great teams) in the 50s. And they had Barry Sanders, which should count for something.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

Yes, these teams affect more people than just sports fanatics and people that go to the games.

If voters had declined to renovate the stadiums, I am sure both owners would have entertained offers from other cities.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

sgtwolverine - true, not much can compete with the cardinals huh? I do believe that a couple of years ago ESPN had a poll that voted the Chicago Blackhawks the worst professional sports team, right in front of the cardinals.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm...the Cardinals started in Chicago...could that be a coincidence?

Around here we like to say go Lions, and take the Tigers with you.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 8 months ago

Considering the salaries of professional sport players you would think the teams owners would have enough money to build their own stadiums. It seems like they prey on the emotions of taxpayers and scare the hell out of them. Oh my gawd Kansas City will fade into oblivion without the teams. Seems to me fans have proved themselves over the years so now it's time for the owners to pay back or be willing to make do with what you got.

Perhaps stadiums should be built to last one hundred years or at least 60.

Where else can you pay $7 for a beer and $20 for a hot dog? I know these prices are slightly exaggerated...just making a point.

I only hope local taxpayers don't end up eating crow over our local push for a new sports arena.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

I happen to enjoy having both teams in KC. I love going to baseball games even though the Royals suck. Drink alot in the parking lot if you have to drink during the game. Go on buck night if you have to eat a lot while watching. Tailgating at Chiefs games is great, the atmosphere is perfect for football.

Maybe it's just because I like sports.

bankboy119 8 years, 8 months ago

Yeah I think $7 is low now haha. Yes the Chiefs are a cash cow but at the same time, they only gross 18th out of 32 teams. If I remember correctly the Washington Redskins were #1 with $273 million and KC was only $183 million per year. I'd have to check the ESPN magazine again.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

bankboy, that has everything to do with the size of the market. DC and NYC teams often have larger numbers associated with them. That has to be taken in proper context.

That would also even out a bit if the NFL owners got organized about revenue sharing. I don't want to take that to the extreme, but there is a substantial market difference between DC and KC.

Merrill, it's unrealistic to expect a stadium to last that long without a lot of work. Even well-designed stadiums have to have major upkeep -- and renovations to follow ever-changing codes and regulations -- and there are always stadiums that are not the best designs. The multipurpose concrete boxes built in the 70s (60s, too?) come to mind immediately. Think Three Rivers in Pburgh or that eyesore in Seattle (both removed for beautiful stadiums).

And Ron, I too am a sports fan, so I think it's worth having teams in a city. I've gotten myself a bit spoiled, living near a city with four major teams (Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings) and even nearer to one of the very good university athletic departments in D1.

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

Asking the public to pay for the building while paying the employees millions of dollars is a slap in the face! It will never fly, I tell ya! The people of Jackson County are smarter than that -- I predict the issue will fail by a wide margin! People know better than to allow the rich to get richer off of their hard-earned, tax-payer dollars!

Oh, it passed already? Nevermind.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

Who's financing the the Cardinals' new stadium?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

You know, that is a beautiful thing. Private financing. I wish it would become a trend.

I was in St. Louis last summer, and I walked around the outside of the old stadium. The new, open-ended stadiums are nice, but there's something I appreciate about the closed stadiums like the old Busch. The Tigers went from a closed design (Tiger Stadium) to an open design (Comerica Park), too.

bankboy119 8 years, 8 months ago

I understand the markets are different wolverine. At the same time the Midwest cannot compete with the coasts because of the market differential.

assistant1234 8 years, 8 months ago

I am a HUGE sports fan, but these cities/counties/metro areas need to grow a pair and stop letting teams blackmail them into building/maintaining their venues. If cities were unwilling to do it, they would actually have to "sacrifice" some money from their multi-billion dollar industry to provide themselves with a place of business.

snoozey 8 years, 8 months ago

It's unfortunate that renovation passed, I think the new stadiums could have been better utilized out by the raceway. I am not convinced that the present location is all that great and have to wonder about how cost effective redoing those old, decayed, existing structures would be. There is a rumour that they are going to hire some of our former city engineers and planners to make certain that the waste systems are inadequate, throw in a couple of roundabouts, make shoddy repairs to the existing potholes and provide T-busses to circle emptily in the parking lots. That may have swung the vote.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

In OTS defense, the questions was asked yesterday, before or during the voting process. But they probably should have asked the question on Monday evening and posted it Tuesday.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

Multi - I don't think we have to worry about that question ever being asked in that situation.

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

sgtw: "Who's financing the the Cardinals' new stadium?" The people of Phoenix are paying for it, because, you know, it would be such a terrible thing if the almighty Cardinals packed up and moved to, um, uh, ... wait a second, I don't think another city would have taken them. Ugh. Yet people still voted to approve paying for a stadium. They bought the lie that it wouldn't have an effect on their taxes since it would be paid for by a rise in "resort and hotel" taxes.

So now we will have a beautiful, state-of-the-art enclosed stadium with a lawn that cranks in and out of the field where the Cardinals will continue to be spanked by every other team in the NFL. Ugh.

It isn't so bad when the Cardinals play at home, because they never sell out so they aren't on television. That is a good thing. What stinks is when they are away, and they break into the end of another game to make sure we see every dreadful moment of the Cardinals game. We miss the ends of great games because the NFL has decided it is important that we see every terrible second of the Cardinals -- from the fumble on the opening kickoff to walking off the field having lost by 30. Ugh.

MD: By the way, which future Pres will be making that announcement?

bankboy119 8 years, 8 months ago

bea, you're back! I was starting to get worried. I hadn't seen you post in awhile.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

Which Pres makes the announcement? Whichever presidential hopeful wins in the election between George Bush's great-grandchild and whatever Kennedy is available at that point.

Well, it seems like American politics has been all about recycling...

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

bankboy, I've been really busy with work, and the multiple questions about how I "felt" about the basketball tournament just seemed silly, so I just stayed away. By the way, who won the bragging rights among the board for their tournament picks?

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

I really wish tomorrow's OTS question would be:

What would you do for a Klondike bar?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

For a Klondike bar?

I would coach Missouri.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

OMB, I'm sure I don't need to point out the ills of tying cats together!

As per today's ?: Um, maybe it's just me but...DIDN'T THEY ALREADY VOTE YESTERDAY?????????

Klondike bar: definitely has to be a family type environment, something along the line of HOOTERS. Is it cold in here?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 8 months ago

You know, OTS could probably alleviate this question controversy by altering the question just slightly: instead of saying "voters should vote," they could change it to say, "voters should have voted."

neopolss 8 years, 8 months ago

I support the Royals, even though they suck. I understand that not every team can be a great team. SOMONE has to suck. I am proud to at least be the worst team. I would hate to be third runner-up. I refuse to be a fair-weather fan. GO ROYALS! YES! ANOTHER ERROR!

RonBurgandy 8 years, 8 months ago

sgtwolverine - keep talking about how the tigers are so bad. Did you see the game today?

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

I'd help Tom Delay pack up his office for a Klondike bar.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

I'll tape Wittig in his first day in jail for Klondike bar.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

well, should the voters of jackson county vote to improve johnson county, with lots of lincolns and washingtons?
wow, whatta bill.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

zowie, I'm under the weather and otherwise time demanded elsewhere, and I come and see such lame OTS QUESTIONS1!!!!!1.
will the royals improve this year? did this year need improving then?
and, improve...compared to what baseline???? will the royals have a manager who chases other men's wives?
should the voters of Jefferson county vote to improve wellman road?
should the voters of douglas county vote to improve the riverfront condom park?
should Shawnee county voters vote to give topeka some kinda life?

whew...tomorrow's OTS: does the new mayor stand a chance of really changing things?
that'd be a good one!
or, will the new mayor get some buds to vote his way after the next commish election? or, where will the next sink hole occur? and, what should we do with it?

please, OTS, don't make me have to come DOWN THERE!