Previous   Next

Does it bother you to lose an hour for daylight-saving time?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 2, 2006

Browse the archives

“Yes. It makes you more tired, but only for a couple of days.”

“It doesn’t bother me, and it’s safer for children going to school because they don’t have to walk in the dark. It’s nice to have the extra hour of daylight to enjoy the spring and summer.”

“Not really. I don’t get that much sleep anyway, so it doesn’t really bother me. It’s just one hour.”

“No. It keeps me on my toes.”

Comments

Aileen Dingus 9 years ago

We didn't lose an hour- anybody remember the "extra" hour from the fall?

That said- It's awful dark at 6am now. :) That's for the birds!

enochville 9 years ago

Due to none of us picking either UCLA or Florida to win it all, there are no more points to be had in our "On the Street" community pool for the Men's NCAA Tournament. For those who may not be aware, our pool started due to an OTS question a few weeks back.

There is a lot of information in the table; all that is really important is rank, which is the first number, and total points, which is the next to last number. Jouhnes is The_Original_Bob and Strong is sgtwolverine. So, here are the final results:

RANK ENTRY, RND1 RND2 RND3 QUAR SEMI FINAL PPR TOT PCT 1 Enochville 5 , 220 220 280 80 120 0 0 920 99.5 2 Noland 1 , 200 200 200 80 120 0 0 800 96.4 3 Jouhnes 3 , 220 200 200 160 0 0 0 780 95.3 4 Strong 2 , 200 160 120 80 120 0 0 680 84.1 5 Gootsie really thinking , 230 200 160 80 0 0 0 670 82.3 6 Son of Das Ubermime , 220 180 160 80 0 0 0 640 75.8 Strong 1 , 200 160 200 80 0 0 0 640 75.8 8 RonBurgandy3 , 230 200 200 0 0 0 0 630 73.3 Jouhnes 2 , 230 200 200 0 0 0 0 630 73.3 10 RonBurgandy1 , 220 220 160 0 0 0 0 600 63.1 Strong 3 , 260 220 120 0 0 0 0 600 63.1 12 Return of Das Ubermime , 220 180 160 0 0 0 0 560 48.1 13 Enochville 3 , 240 180 120 0 0 0 0 540 40.1 14 Robert C. Jouhnes , 210 200 120 0 0 0 0 530 36.2 15 Enochville 1 , 210 180 120 0 0 0 0 510 28.5 16 Enochville 2 , 200 180 120 0 0 0 0 500 25.0 17 Das_Ubermime , 210 160 120 0 0 0 0 490 21.7 18 avhjmlk , 210 180 80 0 0 0 0 470 16.0 19 RonBurgandy2 , 210 160 80 0 0 0 0 450 11.4 20 Gootsie by heart , 220 140 80 0 0 0 0 440 9.6 21 Enochville 4 , 200 140 80 0 0 0 0 420 6.6 22 Gootsie alphabetically , 150 120 40 0 0 0 0 310 0.9 23 Gootsie backwards alpha , 170 80 0 0 0 0 0 250 0.4 24 Ceallach , 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0

Ceallach 9 years ago

Yes, every single day until I get it back in October -- which I always celebrate.

btw, Dazie: it wasn't "extra" it was just released after being held hostage for 6 months :)

enoch, I am shocked by your lack of chivalry!!! A true gentleman would never have posted all of my zeros :):)

Ceallach 9 years ago

derf, I adjust my clocks, it's my body I can't seem to adjust. Anyway, that's the excuse I use for being late :)

enochville 9 years ago

Haha, Ceallach! I usually post as a disclaimer, everytime I updated the board on how the pool was doing, that the reason you had all zeros was that you never made any picks. I just left off the disclaimer this time.

Janet Lowther 9 years ago

It wouldn't be so bad if there was actually some daylight to save in the morning at this point in the year: It has finally gotten to be light at 6:00 AM, and now we are plunged back into darkness.

I used to call it a communist plot to give the whole country a case of jet lag. . . I guess it must be a more generic statist plot, since the commies are mostly gone. . .

gr 9 years ago

"....anything that helps end the long, gray, cold, depressing, unbearable"

So, why not end it before it begins?

"it's safer for children going to school because they don't have to walk in the dark."

"It's awful dark at 6am now"

So, why not wait until after school is out?

"It's nice to have the extra hour of daylight to enjoy the spring and summer."

Is that the whole reason we mess with the time and people's minds and bodies is because "it's nice"?

How about splitting the difference, change the time a half hour and keep it that way all year?

Ceallach 9 years ago

FYI - a friend from Topeka called to let me know they are received a heavy hail storm. She said the hail was also large.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Just checked the radar. The heavy stuff is all going north of here. Fear not, Lawrencinians, we shall not die...yet!

Time change: Affects the kiddies more than anything. They run on an "internal" clock that hasn't got an adjustment on it. I have to admit, I love the extra daylight in the evenings (when I'm more prone to be awake).

All you youngin's w/ new babes at home...good luck with that! I always had a hard time getting my babies to realize that they had to conform to a new schedule.

horrific_changeling 9 years ago

Inmate..ask the fellows,

If someone is going to lay on the train tracks..should they use flooring adhesive to glue their clothing on first? I mean, body parts, naked. Not so pretty.

Or maybe hann would have ideas on this?

And inmate, do you suppose your fellow inmates would deem this an appropriate easter egg hunt for the deputies this easter? Should the parts be different colors, for fun? Should I stack baskets at trackside for added humor? I mean, they would get a laugh. I know some of those guys.

horrific_changeling 9 years ago

I would have emailed him directly, but I didn't think they would let him get email..

sorry

horrific_changeling 9 years ago

i'll ask to get it pulled, i'm out anyway..chagrin

moralebooster 9 years ago

Hey everybody, Cheer up! There's room for everybody's opinion on OTS! This is America, home of the free, land of the brave...land our ancestors gave their lives for. What a great day outside. You know that the only reason you're upset is because YOU let yourself get upset. Turn the other cheek! Go outside and forget your troubles. Have some fun.

Remember, God loves us all and I love us all too.

Ceallach 9 years ago

I'll have some of what moralebooster is drinking :):) Good points!

Did I miss it? Was today Troll the OTS Board Day? They seem to be coming out of the woodwork.

MD, Ice Age II was great -- (that would be g'ma time :) It was sold out Friday night so we went to DQ to address our dispair and then went back Saturday afternoon.

moralebooster 9 years ago

Gee Jim,

That Kool Aid sounds good! How about sending a big batch over to Curioso and her pal horrific_changeling; they seem really out of sorts and upset today.

Love you all to death!

Ceallach 9 years ago

MD: I've been called worse (I think) . Celtic names are not easy to guess -- half the Celts can't even agree on some of them, Ceallach and Ceallaigh included -- but then again disagreeing is the God given right of the Celts :):) We're just doing our best to keep the world on the right course.

All y'all have a good night.

Manana

gr 9 years ago

MB: "You know that the only reason you're upset is because YOU let yourself get upset."

So, if we change the time, say, 20 minutes a week for 5 weeks in the spring and 5 weeks in the fall, then no one should complain nor object.

badger 9 years ago

OTSSweeper said:

"I see someone spent their day on the Internet trying to insult others.

a small wasted existence"

I'm sorry you didn't find it fulfilling.

Perhaps you can try again another day?