Previous   Next

How should people commemorate Sept. 11 this year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 11, 2005

Browse the archives

“I think they should take some time to think about the victims of recent and past tragedies and do their part to help those who need it.”

“They should donate some money to help out with the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina.”

“Spend some quality time with family and friends and think about what’s really important to them.”

“I think they should put their flags out on their houses. Just like we all did when it happened. So many people are patriotic at the moment, but they need to remember and be patriotic year after year.”

Comments

nut_case 9 years, 8 months ago

Good job Karen. I just got done raising old glory. Then took a moment to watch the sunrise and reflect on events both past and present.

Fangorn 9 years, 8 months ago

"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." -- Adlai Stevenson

Even Democrats get something right every once in a while. We should all renew our dedication to making and keeping this country safe. I realize that will mean widely different things to each of us here on the board. And that's OK. Patriotism doesn't always mean agreeing with each other. And sometimes it's quite the opposite.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 8 months ago

I like what Dan said. Trying to remember everyday what really matters. How quickly we lose sight of what's important. I'll remember the WTC tragedy, but I'll not dwell on it. I'll not forget, either.

Maybe I'll go help my father-in-law take his flag down this evening.

yourworstnightmare 9 years, 8 months ago

My suggestion is to play two games of Jenga simultaneously.

italianprincess 9 years, 8 months ago

Our flag flies each and every day here at home.

Today we are heading out to the Art and Crafts Fair to look around and I'm meeting with " Famer's Daughter " to chat with venders about coming out to the benefit concert we are planning. Its a beautiful day today to be with family and friends.

We have decided to call our benefit concert planned for October 22nd in South Park " America Coming Together " and will have our first meeting tonight at La Prima Tazza. We are meeting at 7 pm and hope all who want to join us in the effort to come.

See you there and have a great day.

Fangorn 9 years, 8 months ago

IP: It may be that you selected the name for this reason, or you may have been unware, but "America Coming Together" is the name of an activitst group at the far left end of the spectrum. Were you intending to imply affiliation with this group, or have all the activist groups, left and right, just taken most of the meaningful names already?

kidfresh 9 years, 8 months ago

completely unrelated to the original question (sorry)... to Fangorn: If you consider 'America Coming Together' to be a "far left" organization... what do you consider to be a "far right" group? How does your spectrum spread? What is just a "left" or "right", and what might be a "far, far left" or "far, far right"? I am just looking for some context. Thanks.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 8 months ago

Well, I spent the day doing a puzzle w/ my girls on the kitchen table (didn't let them carve into it , though) My hubby made the table so I'll preserve it for his sake.

We did, however, let them chew up the crib that he made for them. Those little teeth marks are something to remember!

Now, I gotta go to a function for my youngest. Still hope to be back in time to help my father-in-law with his daily flag ceremony. :)

e_m, glad I missed the 9:11 posting. That might have weirded me out a bit.

How 'bout those CHIEFS?!?

heretoday 9 years, 8 months ago

GO CHEIFS!!!

On the 4th anniversary of a threatened America and the beginning of what we have sloganed as the "war on terror", since we watched, horrified, as the second airliner hit the World Trade Center tower, since my sister called me to tell me she was on her way home from work and watching the Pentagon burn---we need to remember in context who we are and who our enemies are. Some of those memories, though imprinted permanently in our minds, also seem faded into the past as we carry out the rituals of our daily lives. Today, everyone who loves the freedoms they enjoy should take time to remember 9-11, because we dare not forget.