Previous   Next

Should the city smoking ban apply to company vehicles?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 10, 2005

Browse the archives

“It seems to me that if it’s a city ordinance, it should be all or nothing. I don’t support the smoking ban personally, but since it is in effect, then yes it should.”

“Yes, because more than one person might use it. It’s very hard to get the smoke smell out of vehicles, and they could cause damage to the car.”

“No. I don’t think so. As long as the smoker has the windows open, there shouldn’t be that much smoke. If the other people who use the vehicle don’t complain, they should let them smoke.”

“No. That should be up to the company. I agree with the ban inside buildings, but a vehicle is a lot more private.”

Related story

Comments

sunflowerzelda45 9 years, 3 months ago

People wake up, wake up wake up... How can this be happening in america? How can we just agree to let our freedoms be taken away. Oh I know you don't smoke so it doesn't matter... But at some point and time it will be a something you feel should be your own choice and not the city goverment or state goverment or Federal goverment.. Do you see how they are rounding up looters in new orleans and not letting them make that one call. People things are going on and your not thinking about the big picture.. I would fight to have this whole smoking ban forgotten.

happygolucky 9 years, 3 months ago

If you are the only one who uses the car, then smoke away. If you drive a cab or a bus, then take it outside. As far as taking snuff up the butt,...whoo rah.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 3 months ago

WTF is a hooter? It should be up to the companies as to whether employees should smoke in the vehicle. Unless it's a vehicle in which customers/public will be passengers. Isn't that the premise of the restaurant/bar smoking ban, anyway?

The ban is going to creep into so many facets of our lives that there will be certain areas of our own homes in which we can't smoke.

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

I want to know about the dangerous toxins emitted from these gas burning automobiles.....and what is the City going to do about it?

the lunatic fringe has taken over..... in a perfect society people won't smoke cigarettes (but marijuana is okay), people should not drive automobiles (they should ride a bike instead while smokiing that joint), and businesses should NOT make any money (a barter system needs to be established - an example- glass beads could be exchanged for a bong), as long as corporations aren't profitting.

if marijuana should be decriminalized, then what about hashish? why pick on a legal drug (cigarettes) but be in favor of decriminalizing an illegal drug (pot)?

come on lawrence wackos! what else is next, ban beer but legalize or decriminalize psychedelic mushroom tea?

if this 'smoking in a company vehicle' is illegal nonsense stays, i'll remember to report the next CITY EMPLOYEE, car dealer, handy man, salesman, cop, etc., smoking a cig while driving a company vehicle.

has anyone ever been ticketed? who does the city ticket? do they ticket the business that owns the vehicle, instead of the driver? - (kind of like ticketing the bar owner because the patron smoked inside). GREAT ANALOGY! does this apply to government vehicles as well or only business?

Lawrence, KS "Businesses UnWelcome"

KsTwister 9 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence City Officials are now spending time debating a new ordinance that can well be handled (and will in spite of what their edict is) by the companies who own the vehicles. Don't you have more important dockets to deal with? Then again maybe our own city is on FEMA time and it will be awhile before we move on to more pressing problems. Only government can waste taxpayer's money so meaninglessly. Do you have a 'fun and games' portion to every meeting?

Dixie Jones 9 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like to me the gov offices of lawrence have nothing to do all day other than to think up stupid stuff to ban, Yeah im not a smoker and Yeah i dont like smelling it , so i avoid it , as for a vehicle thats up to the company NOT THE CITY... work on something that matters people ......

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 3 months ago

What about when the company vehicle leaves the city limits or one comes in from out of town? Sounds like company policy would have jurisdiction over the vehice that leaves town and that's whose policys should be in effect at all times for the said vehicle. Most company policies that I have encountered do not allow smoking in company vehicles. Seems to me like this is hardly productive time spent by our city.

I am on day two of my latest attempt at smoking ceasation. I recall that during a period on an earlier attempt and I went to a bar in KC with some friends. The smoke smell was pretty rank, but nothing compared to the smoke machine they cranked up later in the evning. Elvis H. Prelsey!! I thought I was going to simultaneously scratch the eyes out of my head and choke to death. Does our city also ban smoke machines from Discos?

beatrice 9 years, 3 months ago

omb: No, rectal snuff won't be banned, but you will need to provide your own seat cover.

Apparently, rectal snuff is quite popular, as many here today sure seem to be talking out of their a**.

A_A: Good luck with the quitting, and keep us posted. If all goes well, soon you will be one of us "wackos" against cancerous air in any and all work places.

Ban breathing.

heretoday 9 years, 3 months ago

offtotheright, I heard that the city is even thinking about banning smoking period! Not just bars...but smoking outside...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 3 months ago

Has anybody posting here actually read the article? Smoking in company vehicles is already banned under the current ordinance, so the commission is not considering adding it to the ban-- it's already there. If they make any changes, it will be to relax the ban, not make it more stringent.

OK, you can go back to making sh** up again.

heretoday 9 years, 3 months ago

and also talk about prohibiting the sale and consumption of all tobacco products, regardless of where they are used. US Surgeon General Richard Carmona stirred some controversy when he publicly called for all tobacco products to be banned nationwide. Such like the alcohol prohibition in the early 1900s... that is going to cause problems!!!

Fangorn 9 years, 3 months ago

Bozo: You'll have to forgive us. Most of us have lived in Lawrence for a while and we're used to the local government continually expanding its meddling in our private lives and affairs. That they might even consider scaling Big Brother back is such a novelty it didn't occur to anyone as a possibility.

Question for everyone: Does the smoking ban apply to home-based businesses? And does anyone know when the common sense ban went into effect? Although there is wide-spread indifference -- if not open defiance -- to the common sense ban, those in charge of the city appear to observe it quite fastidiously.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, Bea! I'm already kinda one of those whackos. I'm pretty much for the smoking ban but think that taverns that don't sell food should be exempt - even considering the gagoriffic episode in KC I mentioned earlier. I haven't allowed smoking in my home since my younger son was born. It was a nasty first winter to exile myself outside, too. When we got the house, I allowed smoking in the garage but only if the weather was bad, but we still go outside anyway.

Total tobacco prohibition would be absurd just as marijuana prohibition is absurd. Monies would be spent enforcing that prohibition and even more money won't be spent dealing with the dangerous drugs. There needs to be more resources addessing the distribution and use of Cocaine and Heroin - and those Meth users with the freakin' "Tree Feds" - those areas are in need of more attention.

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

Fangorn: I'm guessing that there is an inverse relation (probably'd make a good graph image) between the size or degree of influence of the government, and the degree of common sense allowed to be allocated. I'm not entirely sure where the horizon line is for it to be banned completely, but I'm sure with some factoring and figuring we could maybe give a good estimate.

. . . Besides, idealism and common sense run on a similar inverse.

rhd99 9 years, 3 months ago

Sounds to me like the proponents of this STUPID smoking ordinance have ONLY idealism going for them in regard to today's question. For crying out loud, LET US LIVE in peace & stop regulating our lives, BOOG, RUNDLE, & SCHAUNER. Seems to me they like to have their cake & eat it too. Either make the ordinance uniform all across the board, or GET RID OF IT!

rhd99 9 years, 3 months ago

Folks, let me make this clear, our tax money is being wasted because this ordinance has NO teeth in regards to enforcement mechanisms. The three people who called for this stupid ban have NOT legitimized this ordinance by allowing one segment to smoke while blaming the restaurant & bar owners or patrons. That is not equality.

Jclarkson 9 years, 3 months ago

NO....let the individual company set the guidelines for smoking in their vehicles. sheesh.

dacs23 9 years, 3 months ago

Who cares about the ban, lets talk market value. I agree with Megan, I bought a SUV from a smoker and it took about 9 months to get the smell out, the headliner is the worst. Had to get the thing professionally cleaned twice and even then I could smell it on hot days. Talk about capital depreciation. I will never buy another vehicle that was owned by a smoker. Give me gas fumes any day of the week.

turdfurgeson 9 years, 3 months ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but the smoking ban is a "liberal" or "left sided" initiative.

Look at NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg (D), for example.. Who, in only a few years, outlawed cigarettes in all clubs, bars, restaurants, etc.. and added additional taxes on cigarettes which brought them to roughly $7.50 to $8.00 per PACK. Sure it's our "freedom" to smoke. But isn't it a non-smoker's "freedom" to avoid smoke? Im not saying i have the answer, but there should be a compromise.

I am a smoker. I am a moderate. Heck, I even voted for John Kerry. But this is nuts. If "republicans" want the government to "stay the hell out of our private lives", then you wont have to guess what i'd do if John McCain were to run for president. Clubs should follow suite with the Replay..heated / cooled smoking porch. Yes.. bless the replay.

David Ryan 9 years, 3 months ago

Mayor Bloomberg actually is a Republican.

He was a Democrat earlier in his life but switched parties to run for mayor of New York as a Republican.

He won the election for mayor as a Republican.