Previous   Next

Who was your favorite castaway on “Gilligan’s Island”?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on September 7, 2005

Browse the archives

“I guess it was Gilligan himself, because he was always blundering around.”

“Probably the Skipper, because he was the most funny character; but Gilligan was funny too.”

“It’s between Ginger and Mary Ann. It’s the age-old question, but I’ll pick Mary Ann because she was from Kansas.”

“Gilligan, because he always seemed to be the most carefree.”

Related story

Comments

lunacydetector 9 years, 6 months ago

my favorite castaway was mary ann. she looked good. they always made a big deal out of ginger being such a beauty, but i always thought 'she ugly,' probably because of that hairy mole on her face.

have a great day!

Jayhawk226 9 years, 6 months ago

Let's blame George Bush for the mole!!!!!!

Darn hairy mole!

happygolucky 9 years, 6 months ago

Ginger was so hot, she still is. Still don't understand the coconut radio.

italianprincess 9 years, 6 months ago

Morning everyone and hope your day is going well so far.

I would have to say that Gilligan is my favorite. He was the most carefree soul of the group and still makes me laugh when I come across reruns. He was the funniest and was always in some sort of trouble.

God Bless you Gilligan, you are in his home now.

Topside 9 years, 6 months ago

Topside likes Mary Anne, oohhhhh baby! BTW-I think she was from Kansas too, wasn't she?

mightyquin 9 years, 6 months ago

Yes she was Topside, Winfield I believe. I thought she was much better looking than Ginger. Ginger was a bimbo.

Spoken1 9 years, 6 months ago

Gilligan was my fave character, But wow, MaryAnn was SMOKIN'!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

Did godzilla ever make it to the island?

TOB, The only good after school entertainment was MAS*H...still is good to watch. But, alas, I don't get the required channels. (I'm sure it would just suck away too much of my life like this @#$% computer does!)

acg 9 years, 6 months ago

I always dug Thursten Howell, III. But then I've always loved the villain, the idiot, the psycho or the wacko on every show I watch. I loved how he tried to buy his way out of everything, even on a deserted island. Well, not too deserted. Remember the head hunter episode? That was great! I loved that stupid show.

hawkrew 9 years, 6 months ago

OMB - I like it...a suitcase full of money for the three hour boat ride. I never really put those together, that's great.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 6 months ago

I named my sailboat after Ginger. My logic being that it would be nice to be married to a MaryAnn, but I'd still like to have Ginger on the weekends. And now I do!

Ceallach 9 years, 6 months ago

Gilligan would be my first pick, I found that character's perpetual innocence enjoyable to watch. But next I think Lovey (wasn't that Mrs. Howell's name?) was such a hoot. Totally oblivious to things that did not fit into her silver spoon mentality. The professor always reminds me of my late husband, no matter what problem he is solving, each week his life is made difficult by the fact that he is surrounded by idiots:)

TOB: what a grump you are today, even including poor, little, Gillian :)

sun_sue: since you love sunflowers, have you seen the ljw article on them in today's paper and online, photos included? Standing fields of sunflowers are so beautiful, and the farmer ain't half bad either :):)

nlf78 9 years, 6 months ago

I'd have to say Maryann. I never really watched it though. I LOVED the Andy Griffith show. And the Mary Tyler Moore show. I watched alot of Nick at Nite when I was growing up.

nlf78 9 years, 6 months ago

I don't think the professor was gay. The skipper maybe?

Carmenilla 9 years, 6 months ago

The prof was getting a Ginger and MaryAnne sandwich every night they just couldn't show it!

I liked MaryAnne, my hubby LOVED Ginger. Tina Louise was his standard for many years. Red hair, long legs, bedroom eyes. Its funny though. He ended up with a brunette from Kansas.

Topside 9 years, 6 months ago

Ottrand nlf78-will you guy shush. You'll wake Indianus Jones, and nobody wants that. I always heard that the skipper/gilligan relationship was the suspect one. I never could really sit through a whole episode to care. However, the professor was single, thin, and neat...Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Topside 9 years, 6 months ago

I think the real issue people miss about the show was Mrs. Howell. If you could get rid of Mr. Howell...Hello Sugar-MAMA!!

nlf78 9 years, 6 months ago

GetSmart!! I'd forgotten about that one!!

italianprincess 9 years, 6 months ago

I grew up watching " The Ghost and Mrs. Muir " , " The Nanny and the Professor " and shows like that. Gilligan's Island was one of the best though.

Does anyone remember Sid and Marty Croft shows? I remember waking up every Saturday morning to watch......Sigmund and the Sea Mosters, Lidsville, H.R. Puff N Stuff, and all those crazy shows.

I know some of you in here around my age and remember these shows.

Topside 9 years, 6 months ago

Yikes, we got some real baby-boomers in here. Wasn't Ray Walston (aka Mr. Hand) on Ghost in Mrs. Muir? I only time I saw shows like that was on Nick at Night, Patty Duke was a cutie. Anyhoo, the rest of us gen-Xers grew up watching really awesome campy stuff like the A-Team and Dukes of Hazard. Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rodgers back to back was awesome! I never really followed Buck Rodgers, but I was fascinated by that little robot sidekick "Twiggy"? that just went Beep-Beep.

mightyquin 9 years, 6 months ago

I remember H.R. Puff N Stuff, that was a bizzare show. How about the Bannana Splits?

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

Ceallach, Yeah, I saw that picture. Gorgeous! (And I'm not talking about the flowers!) ;)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

Topside, I'll joining you in the gen-Xers today. Dukes of Hazzard. YUMMY! One blonde, one brunette...tight jeans (and I'm talking about the guys!) Daisy was merely put in to get some male viewers. It was the original "chick flick"! My sister and I never missed an episode...'course I couldn't tell you what any of the shows were about now. Just jeans! Oh, and I think a car was somehow involved. :)

Topside 9 years, 6 months ago

Sun_Sue: Yep, you pegged it. My whole week revolved around seeing that car take jumps! That show was just one big advertisement for fast cars, tight clothes and CB radios. I would be interested to know if that whole show was paid for by Chrysler and Motorola. I think it's funny how the CB fad died very close with the cancellation of that show.

trinity 9 years, 6 months ago

i proudly submit myself to the "geezer" populus of this board! huzzah!

heyyyyyyyyyyy, there wasn't nothin' like coming home from school to some GI, Leave it to Beaver, and 3 Stooges...i have led a very rich life!

acg 9 years, 6 months ago

When I was a kid there was this show that came on every Sat. a.m. called Land of the Lost. I can remember that show scared the hell out of me because there were these creatures called the Shlestacks at this Lost Land and they were so scary. Saw a clip of that show on I love the 70's on VH1 a few months back and that was the campiest, cheesiest thing ever. I think they got the costumes for the Shlestacks from KMart or something. It's amazing how things change with time, age and perception.

trueninetiesgirl 9 years, 6 months ago

i remember the mickey mouse club, along with almost ever movie listed today, as for the topic gilligan he was always so funny.........

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

acg, do you remember that "Chaaka" (sp?) was played by Ron Howard's little brother? Also, why did we find the Shlestacks scary? They couldn't even run! HA! Good memories!

OK, gotta get back to work!

acg 9 years, 6 months ago

I had no idea that was Ron Howard's little bro. My nickname when I was little was Chaaka because I had long, wild and crazy brown hair. My brother would give me wedgies or noogies and call me Chaaka until I would cry. LOL. Ahh, good times.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

went to your link and my only comment is:

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lunacydetector 9 years, 6 months ago

The Seven Deadly Sins of Gilligan's Island

Was Gilligan the Devil?

Ginger represents LUST - she wears skimpy outfits, is obsessed with her looks, and is a borderline nymphomaniac.

Mary Ann represents ENVY - she is jealous of Ginger's beauty.

The Professor represents PRIDE - he is an annoying know-it-all.

Mr. Howell represents GREED - no explanation needed.

Mrs. Howell represents SLOTH - she has never lifted a finger to help on any of their escape plans.

The Skipper represents two sins: GLUTTONY - again, no explanation needed and ANGER - he violently hits Gilligan on each show.

This leaves Gilligan. Gilligan is the person who put them there. He prevents them from leaving by foiling all of their escape plots. Also, it is HIS island. Therefore, Gilligan is SATAN.

Crazy? He does wear red in every episode.

Confrontation 9 years, 6 months ago

I agree with ACG-Land of the Lost used to seem really awesome when I was shorter than all the characters. I also saw it on "I Love the 70's" and was completely disappointed. It must seem really lame to the kids today who come home after school and watch sex and violence on cable.

heretoday 9 years, 6 months ago

The professor Roy Hinkley was the only rational person on the island and the castaways would never stand a chance without him!

mightyquin 9 years, 6 months ago

I want to know what kind of batteries they had in that radio? That sucker lasted the entire time they were on the island.

Ceallach 9 years, 6 months ago

Another PG show I loved to watch was The Avengers. That Emma Peel, she could run, jump, kick and fight -- all in black leather stiletto boots! No small feat considering that just walking in them was a challenge.

beatrice 9 years, 6 months ago

Topside: Ray Walston was the Martian in "My Favorite Martian," with Bill Bixby. As I recall, Bixby would later star in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father," (Sleepless in Seattle without the happy ending) "The Incredible Hulk," (you don't want to see me get angry) and "The Magician" (crimes and magic don't mix).

My favorite "island" character was Tattoo -- "Look boss, zee plane, zee plane."

beatrice 9 years, 6 months ago

e_m: They tried. It was called "The Honeymooners."

italianprincess 9 years, 6 months ago

I love watching VH1's " I Love The 70's " and all the rest. I just sit there and laugh because I remember all of it so clearly.

swamp_rat 9 years, 6 months ago

Didn't like GI. I watched Dr. Shrinker on Sat. morning. That and "Shazaam!" (sp?) Then there was that Isis chick. (Nothing like pagan Egyptian god worshiping on Sat. morning) Hope God will forgive me (I was very young and didn't know any better!) What was the show with a crazy purple dune buggy? I too watched Land of the Lost. How could they grab you with those big cloven paws moving at a slugs pace? Remember the sound they made? EEEAAARWWW! Oh, how pathetic am I?

Mongosmom 9 years, 6 months ago

I always liked Mary Ann. She was my role model until I was 10.

I'm with one_more_bob how come the professor manage to make all the gadgets but couldn't fix the boat?

Ceallach 9 years, 6 months ago

Did they ever say what all was wrong with the boat? I can't remember. There's been a lot of Professor bashing today, shame, shame. Thought I should add that for ms_canada since she isn't posting today :)

omb: How goes things at the Astrodome? If you plan to go back you should tell us what you are wearing, we'll watch for you on one of the news shows :)

Lawrence is scheduled to receive a much smaller number of flood victims. Today I heard that we are expecting approx 250. They will have temporary housing on the KU campus at Robinson. KU Dining Services will provide food and Lawrence Memorial Hospital will provide medical assistance. I'm sure many other areas of the city will also be called upon for assistance, that may still be in the planning stages.

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

em you never did answer the question, what is a thagomizer?

kansaskev61 9 years, 6 months ago

Mrs Howell. She was older AND she had money. Va Va Voom!