Previous   Next

What is the most unusual job you’ve ever done?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on September 5, 2005

Browse the archives

“I used to work at the Willy Wonka candy factory in St. Louis in the shock tart room. It was my summer job during college, but there were no Oompas there.”

“Working with autistic children. I would go to the movies with them or go swimming. I pretty much got paid just to hang out.”

“We transferred the payroll officer from one ship to another with a rope while we were out at sea, but that was back in 1956.”

“Probably working as a mental health aide in Kansas City and Lawrence. It was very interesting and exciting. Never a dull moment.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't know about interesting, but the most evil job I had was the time I worked for Sprint Repair down at the outlet mall. What we were, essentially, were middlemen to middlemen, because we were the phone representatives who talked to people about their problems with their service and phone equipment, and sent the orders to the real dispatchers, who then sent the order to the technician. The reason we were there was. . . we were trained, more or less, as telemarketers for other Sprint services (long distance, caller ID, voicemail etc.) and had to push those products on the people that called in. We had to make two attempts and everything. Because you know, when your existing service sucks and doesn't work, what you REALLY need is more gadgetry and options. . . that probably won't work either.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

It might not be so unusual, but the summer when I was 15 and we were living on a small farm outside of Vancouver, B.C., I got a job as a housemaid for a wealthy, sort of, family in the city. They had two little boys, sweet little fellows, and I was to care for them. But as it turned out I had to do everything in the house also. Clean the house, wash clothes, make the meals which were very simple meals as the people were total vegans. The strangest thing I was required to do was to crush and grind egg shells. They consumed no dairy products either and thougt the egg shells would give them the calcium the milk would have given them. They sprinkled the shells on their food. Strange people they were, but one thing I got from that experience was my love of some classical music, they had a huge record collection and I was allowed to play anything I wanted, which I did. I have always loved music and the only thing I had at home was the radio. We were quite poor in my home. Other summer jobs that I had were picking beans, strawberries and raspberries all summer in that order. I picked raspberries for an old man until, while picking low down on a bush, I happened to look up for more berries and there was a snake hanging about 2 inches from my face. That was the end for me of raspberries, thank you!!!

Dixie Jones 9 years, 3 months ago

was it worth it to her to see you in the speedos? if so do you still hire out ??? LMAO

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

I dressed up as a giant caterpillar for the book store's grand opening in the Riverfront Mall. It was hot as hell and it made the tiny little children start crying. Maybe it was more like cruel and unusual punishment than just an unusual job.

Hey, I'm the first poster! It pays to stay up late sometimes.....

Happy Labor Day to you all.

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

Damn you Carmenilla! I thought I was the first post! There wasn't one there when I started writing. . . .

Dixie Jones 9 years, 3 months ago

And to Mr Polson ...Working with autistics is a trying job i have a Autistic son myself you are greatly admired, i also work with Polson hes a awesome teacher..that explains why he has the patience .

linux_chick 9 years, 3 months ago

My brother once paid me to help him sneak frogs into the bathtub to hear Mom scream when she woke up before us.

Does that count?

Nikki May 9 years, 3 months ago

Ms Canada, why were they even messing with eggs if they were vegan?

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

punkrockmom - that is a good question. I suppose that they were ovo-vegan. At 15 yrs, I did not care to ask and also never having heard of a vegan anyway. Just a kid from the farm not wise in city ways and you may not know as you are new here, but I am pretty ancient, could be the elder poster here. :o) Right guys???

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

ms_canada: And I might add, the wisest. Not to say you are a wiseacre :)

Brian_Peppers: Just how much are you paid per yard? My neighborhood is pretty quiet, would love to see some of their faces if I hired you to do my yard :):)

omb: omg, yuck yuck yuck!! btw, hats off to Houston, great city with a great heart.

It's going to take more than a few states to absorb all the victims of this tragedy, it will take the entire nation. Funny how trivial some of our problems seem now compared to two weeks ago.

What was the topic? Oh yeah, unusual jobs. I worked for 2 years dispatching concrete. Learned to estimate concrete needed for pads, footings, etc., comply with the Corps of Engineers regulations (number of bags per cubic yard, test cones, and all that jazz) and get along with the Teamsters :- Of course, the fact that I was engaged to a Teamster's Business Agent at the time did help a bit :)

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

even-money: The "thagomizer" as named after the late Thag Simmons?

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

My cousin had a boob job once.

Hey TOB - went through Greensburg this weekend! I think they took down the billboard "Home of THE Original Bob". Sorry to break the news.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

Way to go omb. You are a saint. How are spirits there?

oldfashiongirl 9 years, 3 months ago

My most unusual job was being a grocery store cashier back in Kentucky in 1944. This tall handsome Coast Guardsman asked where to find the baking powder and I took it on myself to show him and one thing led to another and found out he was from Lawrence. I invited him home for Thanksgiving dinner and we went out a few times. I've thought about him every day for those 61 years. You know who you are-now give me a call!!

Are these notes posted in the home delivery papers?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

I was a make-up artists assistant for Playboy magazine. It was sort of unusual but entirely pleasant.

chevygal 9 years, 3 months ago

would workin as an exotic dancer be an unusual job??

chevygal 9 years, 3 months ago

more than happy to judge huh brian peppers?

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

OMB,

I think its great that you went to the dome to help out. Its nice to see people out helping others in this time of need.

The benefit concert seems to grow larger daily as I now have others who have joined me in this effort to help the families who have lost everything.

Now for my unusual job..........When I was about 12 I got a job washing dogs at a local dog grooming place. I got .50 for the little ones and 1.00 for the big ones. The gross thing was having to squeeze their glands near their ( well you can guess where ) while washing them. Talk about nasty and disgusting. Makes me want to throw up just thinking about it right now.

Yuck!!!!!!!!!!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

One post before I'm off to bed:

My hubby once had a job "Probing honey" (you may intrepret this however you like).

Me, let's see...Maybe not so unusual but fun: One summer I got to pick apples while driving a hydralift. That's where you drive a "cherry picker" from the bucket while off the ground. You have six foot pedals to do all the steering and hydraulic ups and downs and swinging from left to right while way up in the air. That was a blast. Hated all the bugs, though!

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

omb: I consider it a privilege to "kind of" know you :) This just proves that you are really just as nice as you (usually :) seem. On behalf of so many of us who will not have the opportunity to give of our time volunteering as you have, thank you.

IP: I have been away this weekend, how is the benefit shaping up? I look forward to using your benefit as one of the ways I can donate to the relief effort. Keep us posted.

linux_chick: I think it counts, especially since you survived your mother's wrath to tell about it, or did she know it was you?

Carmenilla: Happy Labor Day to you, too.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

OMBob, don't sell yourself short. Lots of people wouldn't do it. We are proud to post alongside you and your prostrate. And I would be like a zombie in a Michael Jackson video if I went through any of that loss.