Previous   Next

What are you going to do with your extra hour of daylight-saving time?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 30, 2005

Browse the archives

“I’m going to the natural history museum to look at the new evolution exhibit. I’ve been dying to see it.”

“I plan to dress as Aladdin and ride my magic carpet for an extra hour.”

“Fill out some more college applications and maybe catch up on some of the sleep I’ve lost filling out college applications.”

“I’m going to set aside the whole hour to contemplate the meaning of time.”

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 1 month ago

I've spent it wasted. I'll probably sleep off the buzz with my extra hour. HOORAY for gin! XOXOXO

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

audvisartist: I hope that didn't take the full hour to do!

I guess my question is: which hour exactly is that extra hour? I plan on doing a number of different things today, so what I'm doing with that extra hour depends on which hour it is to match up with what I'm doing.

For the sake of hypothetical examples, if hour is

2-3a: sleeping 8-9a: anime 2-3p: dynastry warriors

b_asinbeer 9 years, 1 month ago

If it takes her that long and is that hard for her to fill out college applications, maybe she should not be going to college at all?

audvisartist 9 years, 1 month ago

What will I do with my "extra" hour? Why I'll comment on this silly "On the Street" question of course!

sweatpeagj 9 years, 1 month ago

Extra hour?? I guess it means that I get to clean up after Hurricane Wilma. I moved from Lawrence to Marathon Florida but still read LJW faithfully

enochville 9 years, 1 month ago

I knew that tonight was the night, but I forgot about it until when I read today's question. I would sleep, but I woke up and can't go back to sleep, so I'll get some things done that I need to (now I have an extra hour to do it in).

enochville 9 years, 1 month ago

jonas: I think you can look at it in one of two ways. Either it is the extra 1-2am that you get, because you got two 1-2am's last night. Or, it is the hour after you would normally wake up. Let's say hypothetically, that on a Saturday night you usually get eight hours of sleep from 10:30pm-6:30am. Well, last night, if you went to bed at 10:30pm, you would have your eight hours of sleep by 5:30am. So, you are an hour ahead of schedule. What do you do with that hour?

jayhawks71 9 years, 1 month ago

extra hour? I am running on infinity. Everytime I move the clock back an hour, when I get to 2am, I have to move the clock back an hour. I am caught in an infinite loop where nothing is open except for gas stations!

Purell 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to drive through all the roundabouts and speedbumps

bthom37 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to wake up and be totally surprised by the fact that my computer is an hour behind my microwave.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

What e_m said at 3:01 a.m. goes for me too. I miss that hour from April til October, so I welcome it back home :) Downside is myself and 2 other members of my family got "bad" food yesterday at Perkins (now off my eat-out possibilities list). So now I'll have an extra hour of stomach ache before I get over it :(

sweatpeagj: Floridians have certainly been hit hard the last few years, hope your clean-up goes well. btw, tornados for hurricanes -- was it worth the switch?

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

sorry to be picky, but isn't it "daylight savings time?"

and, sunflower_sue, thanks, i will go to the site you recommended.

extra hour. just an illusion [to try to make a topical reference!], the time from birth to death is not changed by the temporal labels which we apply to our chronological markings.

blip.

instead, do you ever feel you are repeating the same time over and over...there is no psychoactive substance to treat that. just enjoy the ride.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

I think I would be more surprised if my microwave and my computer, and my refrigerator were communicating with each other! some new appliances appearantly have internet commection capability...now that's way too much.

my computer tells my coffee-maker when to make my coffee, and the microwave tells my refrigerator some bad joke it picked up on a mailing list...the refigerator orders more letuce from my grocery store because it detects I'm out...and the coffee-mails my computer an e-mail to tell me my coffee is ready... Ray Bradbury wake up and smell this coffee!

thunderbuns 9 years, 1 month ago

The L J W could use the extra hour to have a little huddle-up with their "staff" to come up with some decent OTS questions!! And try to ask them some place other than Mass Street! Whoa!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

can you say something nice about the writer of the "on the street" questions?

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

What did I do with the extra hour? goofy question. But here is what I did. I drove for 1 hour 45 min. south of my city to a little city called Red Deer to catch a hockey game between the Red Deer Rebels and the Lethbridge Hurricanes. My grandson Robert plays for the Hurricanes. It was a terrific game and Robbie scored 1 assist and 1 goal. Yeh, go Canes go!! we got to visit with him for a wee while after the game before he had to hop on their bus for the long journey home. So when we got home at 12:30am, I just turned my clock back and got an extra hour to read myself to sleep. Oh yes, the Canes did win 5 -1.
Here is a useless bit of trivia for you all to contemplate. Hockey is played in an arena. Anyone have a knowledge of spanish out there? Arena, a spanish word, means sand as in the bullring, so how come hockey is played in an arena made of frozen water?????? Or perhaps a better question would be how come this venue of frozen water is called an arena???

heretoday 9 years, 1 month ago

What about the people who live in AZ?

badger 9 years, 1 month ago

I have one clock, my alarm clock, that doesn't change itself, and my watch will require setting. Other than that, the computers, the cell, all the other clocks are setting themselves.

With my extra hour, I have fed my coffee beast, chatted with my sweetie about what house tasks we'll cover today (tidying the living room and fixing the front door), and played a little City of Villains.

Jclarkson 9 years, 1 month ago

Im going to eat some corn. I got extra time to eat, so why not?

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Equip each roundabout with one of these air horns?
for a while, the ljw site was inaccessable! somebody elsewhere linked to an ljw story and overwhelmed its servers??? do with the extra hour ljw: find a better person for OTS questions?

Can you say something nice about the daylight saving time?

killjoy 9 years, 1 month ago

New question possibilities:

Do you ever see shapes in the clouds?

Do you believe in magic?

Which way does your TP roll?

Do you know what the capital of Canada is?

Do you know how many provinces Canada has?

What's your favorite smell?

What are you scared of?

Is journalism dead?

Have you ever seen Uranus?

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

Killjoy - 1. absolutely 2. absolutely 3. under 4. absolutely (Ottawa) 5. absolutely (10) 6. garlic sauteeing 7. Dick Cheney 8. absolutely not 9. No

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Killjoy:

1. I do!
  2. omb took my answer
  3. over
  4. what ms_canada said
  5. see above
  6. baking bread
  7. flying purple people eaters
  8. no, but it does smell that way at times
  9. of course

Manana

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

1. clouds? we don't need no stinkin' clouds!
  2. there's gotta be magic-gnomedog is better looking than me and I have two lovely women in my life...only magic!
  3. I don't roll my tp, instead I fold it up for travel, then put it up with a pole in the middle and the corners secured...
  4. what good is a capital in canada anyway?
  5. provinces, canada is a state of mind? so as many as you like.
  6. garlic, as above!
  7. people who are afraid of Dick Cheney...
  8. no, but it is on life support.
  9. digital exam [no children, this has nothing to do with computers!]

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

39...

EM...you suppose we should name an ATM machine after you?

"done" sounds serious, you better check your kitchen appliances, your car, and your mailbox, if it, too, is internet capable!

big brother is watching...through your appliances.

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

e_m - now I really am scared, I have a little blue e also and I think we are done for.

Lulu 9 years, 1 month ago

I encourage everyone to ignore the daylight savings time. It is good for nothing. Why do we have it? I propose Lawrence ignore daylight savings time as a message to the corporate fascist pigs that run our country. Not only does daylight saving not save us any energy, but it actually encourages us to use more energy.

When we have longer summer evenings, it encourages us to go out and spend money. Keeping us in the dark is the only way to go because people will be more rested and use less electricity because they will be in bed earlier and the corporate ripoff artists called big oil will lose and so will their partner in crime Bush.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Bush must be to blame for the blue "E" and "done!" oh no! the inhumanity! i...

galfromku 9 years, 1 month ago

I used my extra hour for some quality cuddle time.. :)