Previous   Next

Can you say something nice about the University of Missouri?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 29, 2005

Browse the archives

“Impossible. They have no redeeming value. That the nicest thing I can say about them.”

“Didn’t Brad Pitt go there? That’s kind of nice, isn’t it?”

“They have nice colors, but that’s about it.”

“It’s more than two hours away from here.”

Related story

Comments

thunderbuns 9 years, 1 month ago

Fortunately I can say : "something nice about the University of Missouri", and I want to thank all my grade school teachers for helping me learn the English language to do so!

So..........

"Thanks teachers!"

bankboy119 9 years, 1 month ago

So Lawrence thinks it knows better and wants to try the same thing 30 years later. Priceless.

thunderbuns 9 years, 1 month ago

Whoa! Is it just me or does Garth (way up top) look like Jim Carrey???

Aiko 9 years, 1 month ago

I am first, I am first........no, I cannot say much on Mizz.

badger 9 years, 1 month ago

They have an experimental ice cream program. As part of one of the schools (restaurant and hotel management, I think), there is a facility dedicated to improving ice cream technology.

That facility has a store, Arbuckle's, which is right across a courtyard from one of the dorms. You can go there and get hand-dipped ice cream in strange and unusual flavors, like a chocolate and orange swirl that's fearsome tasty, or fresh pineapple.

I ate a great deal of Arbuckle's ice cream, way back when. Perhaps it's time to schedule a trip to visit my brother in Columbia again...

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

I can't say much about the university, but when I was in the Dominican Republic on a medical mission trip, our group was joined by three doctoral students from MU, and they were all super-smart, super-nice and super-super-cute!

memoirs_of_a_sleepwalker 9 years, 1 month ago

No. Football is stupid. It brings out the worst qualities in men. And I'm a man. Ban football. Ban school rivalry. Read books instead. Reprioritize. Build brain cells, rather than destroy them!!!

memoirs_of_a_sleepwalker 9 years, 1 month ago

For many people, it's extremely hard to sit still, read something long, widely and closely, and absorb ideas that expand the mind rather than shrink it. I'm not talkin about comic books, either. How difficult is it to sit mindlessly in front of the TV, beat your chest, and yell like a buffoon at the players and rival team? Or in the stadium? One example, Bankboy: football brings out human atavism at it's finest. Of course, to understand what I mean by "atavism," you may need to consult a dictionary.

sunnysideup 9 years, 1 month ago

M U C K

F I Z Z O U

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Goodrick 9 years, 1 month ago

That they will hammer KU in football today

Jclarkson 9 years, 1 month ago

Mizzou has a WONDERFUL journalism school. Although KU has a great J-school themselves, many KU professors were once MU grads.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 1 month ago

The only thing I can say nice...

...is that it is very nice to know that none of my friends or family members have ever attended or graduated from the University of Missouri.

Instead, my family/friends are all associated with their two biggest rivals, of whom, they are as jealous as can be!!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK, GO KU!!!

I
L
L

I
N
I

gccs14r 9 years, 1 month ago

It is STUPID to gauge the quality of a university on the performance of its sports teams. My personal feeling is that a university that foregoes sports in favor of academics is automatically superior to any university that sponsors a sports team. The exception to that rule is any school of divinity.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

gccs14r: What is stupid is to take a purposefully light-hearted topic and make it all "serious". Someone should remove your post.

Some nice things about Missouri:

Nicely-rounded potholes in their roads (I drive those roads daily, they suck).

The sweat on the face of Quinn Snyder has an especially bright sheen to it, and it never seems to diminish in it's brightness. Even when he's not buzzing on opiates.

It has a huge earthquake fault line right in the middle of it that will someday turn the whole state into big sinkhole. Which will also be nicely rounded.

They are a proof for fans of intelligent design that evolution is false (or, at least that it never took place in Missouri).

They are a proof for fans of evolution that intelligent design is false. No intelligent being would have designed a Missourian.

bankboy119 9 years, 1 month ago

sleepwalker give us a break please. What are the worst qualities? Display of strength and skill? How hard is it to read a book? honestly

METALQ2 9 years, 1 month ago

U CAN FLY BALLOONS ANY TIME U WANT IN MO.

Bruce Rist 9 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Atavism thinks a lot of himself (herself).

b_asinbeer 9 years, 1 month ago

I've thought about the question for five minutes, not a single good thought about Mizzou popped into my head.

Bunny_Hotcakes 9 years, 1 month ago

They have an endowed Kenneth L. Lay Chair In Economics in their b-school...Oh, wait.

bankboy119 9 years, 1 month ago

Atavism at its finest eh? Well your display brings to mind the same characteristics. And my post did the same. I'm sorry I didn't mean to condemn reading. I try to get through a book a week at least. I'm all for exercise though, just having knowledge does nothing for anyone. I could be the smartest person in the world and read and read and study and study and have the cure for cancer but if I still sit and read and learn I'm not doing the world any good. Any sport is good interaction for people, but again if all people are doing is watching sports and beating their chests then they aren't doing society any good either.....but they are a lot more entertaining to watch than some one reading a book lol.

By the way....I didn't have to look in the dictionary since I read too:)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Ummm, I'm still thinking.

Off topic: What is that odd smell in town today?

juscin3 9 years, 1 month ago

hmmm...well, they do have more entertainment things to do there..and a wider variety of restraunts...as for the potholes, they SUCK!!! If anything they need to work on is the dang roads...and how long does it take to fix a pothole the CORRECT way??? I've been in MO, and no, they do not have roundabouts, or I haven't seen them...guess their city commissionors feel the same way the Lawrence public does as to why they don't have them...

juscin3 9 years, 1 month ago

oops, read the question wrong, silly me...hmm..no I can't say anything nice about MU, I have never been there and I can't see myself goin there anytime in the near future.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

they don't have a bunch of wasteful roundabouts AND they haven't banned anything. BUT:

A Mizzou coed walks into a supermarket and buys :

1 bar of soap 1 toothbrush 1 tube of toothpaste 1 loaf of bread 1 pint of milk 1 single serving of cereal 1 single serving frozen dinner 1 can of Soup For One 1 16oz can of Miller Lite

The guy at the checkout looks at her and says, "Single, are you?" The woman smiles sweetly and replies, "How did you guess?" He replies, "Because you're ugly."

juscin3 9 years, 1 month ago

LMBO Lunacy, mean but too funny!!! had to share that one with my family.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Hairy gnome, I had to look up skype...you just peaked my interest too much, so I went to skype.com and read about it. If you still are having trouble, you could check out lawrence freecycle.com. Sometimes people just ask for help or info on things. I dunno but it might be worth trying. Good luck!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Still thinking.........

p.s. Just got a call from my MU fan bro. LOVE IT!

yes, I've thought of it:

I love some of MU's fans!

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

MU has a decent medical center. Inferior to KUMC of course :) but decent.

sun_sue: The odor in town today? What else, MO BO.

Manana

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

gnome: Just saw your last post yesterday. Glad you were able to talk with your girl in Pakistan, hard life there! I'm totally out of the loop regarding video games. I seem to have A.D.D. when I try to figure them out. Since I was unable to conquer them, I have declared them useless, thereby allowing myself to sail happily down the river of DeNile regarding my video game ineptness :)

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Ceallach, thank you. had another good talk, we talk about every day. skype has been acting weird and very frustrating, that's why was looking for another local skype user.

Zork, not a "video game" but very primative, old, role-playing game, used to play it on unix minicomputers when an undergraduate student, in early '80s. info: www.xyzzy.com>

hope you enjoy the weekend, and all the other souls on here!
something good about MU...well, they LOST! and, one more thing: THEY'RE ONLY IN MISSOURI!...how's that.

happy trails, until we meet again. [if you haven't hugged your dog yet today, try it.] ,

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Sunflower-sue, did not know about freecycle.com. will go.
can you say anything good about the writer of OTS questions?