Previous   Next

What do you do to make a difference?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 23, 2005

Browse the archives

“I donate clothes to St. John’s Rummage House, and I donate money to my church, the American Cancer Society, American Leukemia Society and the United Way.”

“I just participated in a Hurricane Katrina relief effort for a couple who fled here. Their wedding was supposed to be a week after it hit, but they lost everything.”

“I volunteer at the Salvation Army food bank around the holidays.”

“I went to a camp at the Jewish Community Center where we did community service during the summer.”

Related story

Comments

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

i do my best to help others in need. i don't brag about what i've done because i don't do it to boost my ego.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

We all know what Italian Princess did. Good job yesterday Princess. We're proud to "know" you.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

Vote in primary elections in an effort to neocons at bay.

Hats off to IP.

Purell 9 years, 1 month ago

Hey kids, did you hear about the legend of the roundabouts? Yes, some people say that on Halloween the roundabouts are a direct portal to Hell, but most people have heard that every year several kids disappear on that night.

What is generally accepted is that the roundabouts are usually erected by satanic forces as sacrificial alters. I've heard that on each one there is a pentagram or other satanic symbol left by the builder.

We have to warn the kids that these are places of evil and to stay away. The pentagrams drawn in blood aren't always visible from every angle. Many kids are already fearful because they've seen what it has done to their parents. Normally docile moms and dads who now utter profanities while traversing these hideous monuments to Satan.

We only have a week to warn the kids this year. Maybe next year we can have a safer roundabout-free Halloween.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh, on topic...I try to do the best I can raising my children.

b_asinbeer 9 years, 1 month ago

I personally love roundabouts. Since Lawrence is a city full of people who don't know how to drive, and don't know the rules of a stop-sign (and occasionally run it), anything that keeps me or any of the other citizens safe, I support.

As for making a difference, give stuff to goodwill maybe two or three times a year, and I also adopted a dog from the Humane society.

Now, what exactly is the point of "Bring back the crusades?" I'm kinda perplexed by that.

Purell 9 years, 1 month ago

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

We made a difference yesterday with our benefit at the park. Its just not me who put this together. We are a group of mom ( 6 of us ) who worked hard for 5 weeks to pull this together to just have it rain.

Yes I'm bummed right now but not as bummed out as I was yesterday when they bands had to stop playing. I'm tired after not sleeping since Friday morning when I woke up at 630 to get my youngest for school.I think I hit the pillow last night and thats all I remember. I somehow twisted my right ankle( most likey a hole in the park somewhere ) and my house is a big mess with pantry food all over. I'm not moving to fast but my sis is coming over to help clean up before my little daycare kids are back tomorrow.

I will survive because I always do. My water is boiling for a nice cup of hot choc and my co-chair will be here at 2:00 to take the donated back to Ottawa and Baldwin.

Thanks for all you support and until the next event we plan I bid you a good day.

peace 9 years, 1 month ago

Giving someone a smile and a friendly hello can be as beneficial as material contributions.

killjoy 9 years, 1 month ago

As a taxpayer, I'm supporting my government.

Bombs for peace baby, bombs for peace!

I'm making a difference!

I think we're gonna need Chrisrian suicide bombers.

Any volunteers?

b_asinbeer 9 years, 1 month ago

even_money--if you learned how to drive then your mechanic wouldn't have to buy all those parts for you.

killjoy 9 years, 1 month ago

I smell a roundabout jihad coming on...

How about we start with a sit-in on Monday and we escalate through Thursday. On Friday, we top the week off with something really big. It would probably be against the law to suggest that we use explosives or a human sacrifice, so I won't go there.

Heck, what ever happened to Lawrence protesting like the liberals they imagine themselves to be?

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Italianprincess, you're a great lady, thanks! darned rain, gnomedog and I were gonna head down to south park about 4pm, right now, yesterday.

congratulations on a very fine effort!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

"chrisrian suicide bombers?" wow...a new people.

now, answer the question you darned gnome: first, never brag on what you do to help, so I won't. second, live each day in a way that would please Christ.

third, vote to support the damned neocons, and balance the voter above.

remember that life is just temporary.

okay. not gonna brag on what we do to help, but we do various things, Mrs. gnome and I.

have a good day, but it is going to freeze this evening, so cover any sensitive plants, like those pot plants on the patio.

b_asinbeer 9 years, 1 month ago

jihad? crusades? christian suicide bombers?

hmm....love the quality of the discussion here... (hint...note the sarcasm)