Previous   Next

Should city workers be able to drive to and from work with city vehicles?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on October 19, 2005

Browse the archives

“Probably not unless it was absolutely necessary for a work-related purpose. Where I live, there is a policy prohibiting people from taking city vehicles home, although there are some exceptions.”

“I’d say no. Mostly because I drive as a part of my job, but I have to drive to and from work. The money that goes to gas for those cars could be better used to benefit the city.”

“It would seem to me that it would be unfair to allow people that privilege in contrast to the rest of us. Unless, of course, they perform some essential or emergency task for the city.”

“If they have to go from their home to work at a site that changes, then it would be OK. Otherwise I don’t think they should.”

Related story

Comments

thunderbuns 8 years, 10 months ago

I'll be the roundabout, the words will make you out and out.......

I'll spend the day your way. Call it morning driving in and out the valley........

I'm last. HHAA!!!!!

b_asinbeer 8 years, 10 months ago

Fifth, broadband man costumes are horrible, right alongside the very commercials he stars in....VERY cheesy. I've learned that any other channel (except, fox news of course) would be a better option to switch to, than watching those silly commericals....looks like a high school project.

Sixth, of course city workers shouldn't be allowed to use the city's vehicles to commute to work and back. What kind of a silly question is that?

sharron5rs 8 years, 10 months ago

As I said in the article comment. Takem' home rather than spend the money saved towards a roundabout

Jeff Goodrick 8 years, 10 months ago

Yes that away the city would only need half the parking, which is few downtown.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 10 months ago

Ridership on the T continues to increase.

$100k may be small fish in the big scheme of things however still a nice chunk of dough. Many of the vehicles are large cars for one person and certainly not easy on the gas. Some could ride bicycles, walk to work or ride the T.

Someone needs to micro manage the inspections department cause they do not discipline themselves so well. Some like to look the other way.

redbird 8 years, 10 months ago

No.....only workers who are on-call status for emergency work should be allowed vehicles to drive home,these people are rotated,normally,and this would not be a privilege or perk,it would just be a speedy way for the individual to get to the emergency worksite.

ku_law 8 years, 10 months ago

First, I am first.

Second, does anyone really care?

Third, where can I score a Broadband Man costume?

ku_law 8 years, 10 months ago

Fourth, when I asked if anyone really cared, I was referring to the city workers question...not my being first. I know everyone cares about that.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 10 months ago

No... with the exception of emergency utility workers.

bankboy119 8 years, 10 months ago

I think my next job will be a driver for the T....hopefully I can take it home at night and then turn it into a party bus on the weekends. I'd probably make more that way....

staff04 8 years, 10 months ago

I think it is a fine way for an employer to reel in a prospective employee. We're not talking about the cities dump trucks and street sweepers being parked in our neighborhoods, folks. It is an incentive, like insurance and a nice retirement plan. 'Nother waste of a seemingly purposeful OTS...

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 10 months ago

No, I pay my own way to work and so should they. If it's a perk, then make it official. But I hope they don't

I work for the largest private empolyer in our community. That MT bus makes it possible for a whole lot of people to get to work out here. Many are riding the bus becuse they don't want to pay the outrageous gas prices. We've needed public transportation in this town for so long and now we have it. It needs to stay.

ku_law 8 years, 10 months ago

I was being sarcastic about wanting a broadband man costume. It was a poor attempt at humor. I'll try harder next time. Who would want to be that weirdo for Halloween?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

NO! Unless it's some kind of emergency cituation. I always get a little upset when I see school busses parked at Wal-Mart. You know the kids aren't on a field trip! This is OUR gas money they're spending.

An accountant told me yesterday that depreciation is up to 48 1/2 cents a mile. WOW!!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

ku_law, just admit that you really do want to be broadban man. You might look dashing in that skin tight outfit.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

OOPS! I meant Broadband...but broad ban might work better for this board, anyway!

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

c'mon, as far as lawrence commercials go, Broadband Man is one of the more entertaining. (or at least it was with the old "actor" playing him. He was full of cheese, and that was the point.)

for the question: no. It will add wear and tear to the vehicles, that you can be sure will not be paid out of their own pockets. No personal use without personal upkeep. Very simple.

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

Broad ban Man! Sunflower sue, you might have stumbled upon something here. It could be the new face of the Lawrence City Commission! Get me a line to Highberger!

rhd99 8 years, 10 months ago

This City Commission (since the election of BOOG, Schauner, & Rundle) has categorically WASTED our money on frivulous things, such as roundabouts, & bans. The idea that city workers can use official city vehicles & drive to & from work needs to STOP! We don't get a free ride, with gas prices, why should these city employees?! They pay a fee every month, or they lose their privileges. Stop the WASTE, BOOG!

craigers 8 years, 10 months ago

While on the commercial kick, I must say that the Capital One commercials are awesome. I don't know which one is better, the voodoo doll one, or the angry customer that comes in and chases the guy around. As far as any other dumb commercials, I would have to say "I get it Free card" commercial for the LJWorld. Oh no, did I say that out loud? I wonder if my post will get pulled today?

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

Geico, though, still has the best marketing out there.

Aside from the King from Burger King. Me and a friend have been cogitating on the King for Halloween. The problem is you'd have to go the whole night without SAYING anything. But man, how great would it be to hide around corners or next to windows and just wait for people to notice that you're there!

lunacydetector 8 years, 10 months ago

the city (us taxpayers) spends $2Million a year subsidizing the MT bus. the federal subsidies ran out a few years ago.

now THAT is waste.

lunacydetector 8 years, 10 months ago

macon47 - yet another comment i totally agree.

Purell 8 years, 10 months ago

I just can't sleep now that I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 10 months ago

and gnome has had too much actual stuff to do. was at wheatfields this morning, what a wonderful cheese damish [Danish!]!

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; coral is far more red than her lip's red, if snow be white, why then her breasts are dun; if hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head; I have seen roses damask'd, red white; but no such roses see I in her cheeks; I love to hear her speak, yet well I know, that music hath a far more pleasing sound; I grant I never saw a goddess go, my mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground; and yet, by heaven, I think my love is rare, as any she belied with false compare.

errors not by Shakespeare. (sonnet #130, to the "dark lady")

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

e_m: I think you have confused me with another poster -- I do cook, but I neither sew nor do windows:):) It has just been one of those days when I was actually expected to work the entire business day!!! I'm going to have to find another job.

Not sure why I'm bothering to post, this will probably be "last post," and those are seldom heralded in the same way as the "first post." That just doesn't seem right, somehow.

omb: air banjo? you are truly a talented guy!

Manana

bearded_gnome 8 years, 10 months ago

'night ceallatch, I'm #55. it is pouring rain with distant thunder. beautiful indeed.
read yours.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

e_m: you are a clever devil :):) Windows is among the many things I am forced to do at work that I do not do at home. But that is another sad tale.

buns: you stole my thunder! Thought I would be last :\