Previous   Next

Should city workers be able to drive to and from work with city vehicles?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on October 19, 2005

Browse the archives

“Probably not unless it was absolutely necessary for a work-related purpose. Where I live, there is a policy prohibiting people from taking city vehicles home, although there are some exceptions.”

“I’d say no. Mostly because I drive as a part of my job, but I have to drive to and from work. The money that goes to gas for those cars could be better used to benefit the city.”

“It would seem to me that it would be unfair to allow people that privilege in contrast to the rest of us. Unless, of course, they perform some essential or emergency task for the city.”

“If they have to go from their home to work at a site that changes, then it would be OK. Otherwise I don’t think they should.”

Related story

Comments

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

e_m: you are a clever devil :):) Windows is among the many things I am forced to do at work that I do not do at home. But that is another sad tale.

buns: you stole my thunder! Thought I would be last :\

thunderbuns 8 years, 6 months ago

I'll be the roundabout, the words will make you out and out.......

I'll spend the day your way. Call it morning driving in and out the valley........

I'm last. HHAA!!!!!

Purell 8 years, 6 months ago

I just can't sleep now that I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

I knew the somes of you all would be checking back in. Goodness, time for sleep.

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Ceal--at my computer I have no choice but to do windows :)

See ya ta marra.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

'night ceallatch, I'm #55. it is pouring rain with distant thunder. beautiful indeed.
read yours.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

e_m: I think you have confused me with another poster -- I do cook, but I neither sew nor do windows:):) It has just been one of those days when I was actually expected to work the entire business day!!! I'm going to have to find another job.

Not sure why I'm bothering to post, this will probably be "last post," and those are seldom heralded in the same way as the "first post." That just doesn't seem right, somehow.

omb: air banjo? you are truly a talented guy!

Manana

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

and gnome has had too much actual stuff to do. was at wheatfields this morning, what a wonderful cheese damish [Danish!]!

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; coral is far more red than her lip's red, if snow be white, why then her breasts are dun; if hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head; I have seen roses damask'd, red white; but no such roses see I in her cheeks; I love to hear her speak, yet well I know, that music hath a far more pleasing sound; I grant I never saw a goddess go, my mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground; and yet, by heaven, I think my love is rare, as any she belied with false compare.

errors not by Shakespeare. (sonnet #130, to the "dark lady")

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Ceallach is stitching a Halloween costume. Bankboy is off having an affair. Hottruckinmama is consoling herself over her neighbor's paint color. TOB is at Border's lurking around for an LJW reporter. And I'm finally getting some work done on that dissertation.

Or, at least I was. :)

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Dang, OTS has been croaking early in the day lately. I'm gonna have to go back to standing on the street corner & playing air-banjo to entertain myself if things don't pick up here.

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

That would be a hoot! Be sure to give your username as your 'real' name.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

One day we should all meet in Borders and look for the dude that asks these questions.

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

I visited the News Center the other day. They have one of those big 'Wheel of Fortune' wheels mounted on the conference room wall. The strangest thing, though.

The only three options labeled were Massachusetts Street, Checkers, and Borders. Hmmmm.

macon47 8 years, 6 months ago

2 million bucks for 600 people to ride an MT bus ? and rundle is whining about maybe 15 or 50 city cars that might not actually require them being taken home at night

lunacydetector 8 years, 6 months ago

macon47 - yet another comment i totally agree.

lunacydetector 8 years, 6 months ago

the city (us taxpayers) spends $2Million a year subsidizing the MT bus. the federal subsidies ran out a few years ago.

now THAT is waste.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Someone posted this the other day and I totally agree... LJW has totally killed OTS. Lame questions every now and again are fine but this...

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Craigers, since you brought it up. The attempted integration of those Cap One pillagers into the current job force is genuinely funny. I really enjoy watching that fur-clad dude trying to get his car out of the parking spot.

If Michelangelo had ever had OTS online, would the Sistine ceiling ever have gotten done? The frescoed image of God reaching out to Adam would have been eclipsed by a roundabout, I bet. :)

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

BTW, has anyone else noticed that almost nobody has signed up for the "real name" verification by their username? Snort, giggle......

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Leave us not discuss post pulling, there may be children in the audience.......

jonas 8 years, 6 months ago

Geico, though, still has the best marketing out there.

Aside from the King from Burger King. Me and a friend have been cogitating on the King for Halloween. The problem is you'd have to go the whole night without SAYING anything. But man, how great would it be to hide around corners or next to windows and just wait for people to notice that you're there!

craigers 8 years, 6 months ago

While on the commercial kick, I must say that the Capital One commercials are awesome. I don't know which one is better, the voodoo doll one, or the angry customer that comes in and chases the guy around. As far as any other dumb commercials, I would have to say "I get it Free card" commercial for the LJWorld. Oh no, did I say that out loud? I wonder if my post will get pulled today?

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Let employees drive city vehicles but have 'em keep track of mileage and chip in for gas. That's not asking too much, is it?

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

No costume necessary. Just accessorize with a saw, a bucket and a six of Hamms.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Damn Pippen!!!! What a great idea. Dress up as the homeless dude that keeps his foot and his Hamm's on ice!

DonQuipunch 8 years, 6 months ago

Um, yes, I have one more:

PAY-LESS FURNITURE OUTLET

I'd change the channel to TBN to avoid those commercials if I had to.

kpippen 8 years, 6 months ago

Halloween - im going to dress up as an "artist" who only has one foot and keeps the other in a bucket with Hamms beer and other trinkets.

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Only so long as he bans LAME commercials.

Hap Hazard Broadband Man That geek from Runza

Any more?

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Good one sunflower_sue!!

broadban man.

I likey. :)

rhd99 8 years, 6 months ago

This City Commission (since the election of BOOG, Schauner, & Rundle) has categorically WASTED our money on frivulous things, such as roundabouts, & bans. The idea that city workers can use official city vehicles & drive to & from work needs to STOP! We don't get a free ride, with gas prices, why should these city employees?! They pay a fee every month, or they lose their privileges. Stop the WASTE, BOOG!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Sue - I get 48.5 through Endowment money (it's like 40.5 for straight State money). Not sure what the private sector is but it usually mirrors our Endowment money. But, I'm not getting rich off it... price of gas takes most of it.

Broadban. That is quality.

jonas 8 years, 6 months ago

Broad ban Man! Sunflower sue, you might have stumbled upon something here. It could be the new face of the Lawrence City Commission! Get me a line to Highberger!

jonas 8 years, 6 months ago

c'mon, as far as lawrence commercials go, Broadband Man is one of the more entertaining. (or at least it was with the old "actor" playing him. He was full of cheese, and that was the point.)

for the question: no. It will add wear and tear to the vehicles, that you can be sure will not be paid out of their own pockets. No personal use without personal upkeep. Very simple.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

OOPS! I meant Broadband...but broad ban might work better for this board, anyway!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

ku_law, just admit that you really do want to be broadban man. You might look dashing in that skin tight outfit.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

NO! Unless it's some kind of emergency cituation. I always get a little upset when I see school busses parked at Wal-Mart. You know the kids aren't on a field trip! This is OUR gas money they're spending.

An accountant told me yesterday that depreciation is up to 48 1/2 cents a mile. WOW!!!

ku_law 8 years, 6 months ago

I was being sarcastic about wanting a broadband man costume. It was a poor attempt at humor. I'll try harder next time. Who would want to be that weirdo for Halloween?

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

o_m_b, AND only if they are willing to bulldoze 'THROUGH' a roundabout on their way home.

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

ku_law, just wear a dish on your head and go as his nemesis.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

No. Hell no. Drive them home at night. And everywhere else.

macon47 8 years, 6 months ago

we dont need public transportation if it takes 20 or 30 buses to haul ONLY 600 people across town every day, that doesnt make sense, if it was a needed service more people would be using it.

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Only if they drive a bull-dozer!

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 6 months ago

No, I pay my own way to work and so should they. If it's a perk, then make it official. But I hope they don't

I work for the largest private empolyer in our community. That MT bus makes it possible for a whole lot of people to get to work out here. Many are riding the bus becuse they don't want to pay the outrageous gas prices. We've needed public transportation in this town for so long and now we have it. It needs to stay.

staff04 8 years, 6 months ago

I think it is a fine way for an employer to reel in a prospective employee. We're not talking about the cities dump trucks and street sweepers being parked in our neighborhoods, folks. It is an incentive, like insurance and a nice retirement plan. 'Nother waste of a seemingly purposeful OTS...

macon47 8 years, 6 months ago

the minor increase in the MT ridership is almost a joke, 1200 people that ride while 80,000 pay ? That is not good business, I would suggest a test for the next 12 months. free rides all day everyday . the fares they collect are only about 600 bucks a day, so what good wll 187 grand do? i bet it costs that 1/4 th of that to pay some one to count the money and take it to the bank. after 12 months if ridership doesnt increase,send the buses back home and let the city employees haul the 600 people back and forth across town in the city cars.

bankboy119 8 years, 6 months ago

I think my next job will be a driver for the T....hopefully I can take it home at night and then turn it into a party bus on the weekends. I'd probably make more that way....

Richard Heckler 8 years, 6 months ago

Ridership on the T continues to increase.

$100k may be small fish in the big scheme of things however still a nice chunk of dough. Many of the vehicles are large cars for one person and certainly not easy on the gas. Some could ride bicycles, walk to work or ride the T.

Someone needs to micro manage the inspections department cause they do not discipline themselves so well. Some like to look the other way.

macon47 8 years, 6 months ago

I can easily assume there are a few city employees that don't really Need to take home a vehicle at nite. I also assume there are just As many that wish they didn't have to, so they wouldn't be called back out after they get home to the family. I am not sure what rundles interest in this matter is, except his micromanaging fetish. I can bet He has a buddy that works for the city that DOESN'T GET A CAR. Or he has some arch enemy that DOES GET A CAR to take home. Why else would it matter to him , with all the other more important City matters at hand?? He needs to tend to business, not nit pick. it he really wanted to save the city money he would drop the empty buses running up and down the streets 6 days a week. now that is a REAL waste of fuel and money.

blue73harley 8 years, 6 months ago

Only if they are using the vehicle for something essential...like picking up garage sale signs on a Saturday morning!

sharron5rs 8 years, 6 months ago

As I said in the article comment. Takem' home rather than spend the money saved towards a roundabout

Richard Heckler 8 years, 6 months ago

No... with the exception of emergency utility workers.

redbird 8 years, 6 months ago

No.....only workers who are on-call status for emergency work should be allowed vehicles to drive home,these people are rotated,normally,and this would not be a privilege or perk,it would just be a speedy way for the individual to get to the emergency worksite.

Jeff Goodrick 8 years, 6 months ago

Yes that away the city would only need half the parking, which is few downtown.

b_asinbeer 8 years, 6 months ago

Fifth, broadband man costumes are horrible, right alongside the very commercials he stars in....VERY cheesy. I've learned that any other channel (except, fox news of course) would be a better option to switch to, than watching those silly commericals....looks like a high school project.

Sixth, of course city workers shouldn't be allowed to use the city's vehicles to commute to work and back. What kind of a silly question is that?

ku_law 8 years, 6 months ago

Fourth, when I asked if anyone really cared, I was referring to the city workers question...not my being first. I know everyone cares about that.

ku_law 8 years, 6 months ago

First, I am first.

Second, does anyone really care?

Third, where can I score a Broadband Man costume?