Previous   Next

How does the weather affect your job?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 17, 2005

Browse the archives

“I work in a dish room, so it doesn’t really affect it that much besides how I get to and from work.”

“It’s a lot more enjoyable when it’s nice because I have to get in and out of my car a lot. When the weather is nice, I’m in a better mood, and when I’m in a good mood, everyone who works with me is in a better mood.”

“When the weather is nicer, I can work longer and make more money. It creates my workplace atmosphere.”

“It makes it better for me if it rains because less people come in, and I don’t have to do that much.”

Related story

italianprincess 10 years, 1 month ago

I work at home so I guess you can say it doesn't affect much. It does although wreck some days when the children can't go out and play when they want to.

I plan activities for inside when it rains, when its extremely to hot or cold and they have fun. Playdoh is a favorite here and also finger painting with pudding.

Looking forward to a nice day this Saturday at the benefit. They are calling for around 70 to 73 and we are hoping its going to stay and not change.

Off to bed now......have to be up in 4 1/2 hours to start my day.

lunacydetector 10 years, 1 month ago

a non-scientific poll:

how many men and how many women who write on here have held a job requiring working outdoors, and for how long?

i did for 5 years.

redbird 10 years, 1 month ago

It makes my days miserable if it raning all day,my job is also outside for lunacydetector's question,other than the 11 years of bartending,the other 19 years that I have worked haved been outdoor jobs,ranging from oilfield jobs to landscaping and farm/ranch work....

neopolss 10 years, 1 month ago

I worked on the back docks unloading trucks at the Kmart DC. While not technically outside, during the winter there is no insulation in those trucks, not to mention that the docks allow so much air in that it might as well be outside. Despite the cold though, most of the time I worked in shorts and t-shirts, even at freezing or below. I worked up a sweat working there!

Richard Heckler 10 years, 1 month ago

Outdoors is beautiful therefore my job is the same. I love working in it. Sometimes the extreme heat is a bit much. Extreme cold = break time. Fall,spring and early winter are awesome.

Eric Beightel 10 years, 1 month ago

LD - I worked during the summers on a farm from age 10 to age 17.

In college, I worked as an intern collecting air samples which required that I be outside quite a bit.

Currently, I work outside about a week or so every month as I remove invasive vegetation while working to rehabilitate the prairie on the land that I manage.

As long as it isn't raining or below 10, I'm golden.

sunflower_sue 10 years, 1 month ago

The weather affects every aspect of my job. All we need is 4 more days of NO rain (and very little dew would help). HA! Are we in KS, Toto?

juscin3 10 years, 1 month ago

Good questions Hannibal. Now everyone will be thinking of that one while being outside. Wasn't payin attention to the clouds yesterday...too busy doin other things. My job is inside for 6 hours. Sometimes during the winter we have the heater blower on, and some of the coworkers don't think about anyone else but themselves and they go and shut the darn thing off! If you are hot, dress appropriately, if cold do the same, never know what the temp is like inside.
Be considerate of others!

bearded_gnome 10 years, 1 month ago

can we get better questions for OTS???

LD: all indoor, Radio, and "human services." as a teen milked goats every day for 8 years, definitely outside but in central CA only one ice day or two peryear.

what will the next ban be?

sunflower_sue 10 years, 1 month ago

I had goats...I banned them! Milking twice a day was just too much. Miss the cheese, though.

Do I see a goat in the clouds? Wait, where are the clouds?

linux_chick 10 years, 1 month ago

We have no windows and no overhead lights where I work to cut out the glare on our monitors. Underneath 10 stories of dorm apartments, I think a tornado could pass without us knowing it.

LC misses windows :(

bankboy119 10 years, 1 month ago

gnome, the next ban is going to be on clouds. Do you know how dangerous it is to look at them while you're driving? E_M you're lucky you didn't crash. Shame on you for looking at clouds while driving! Thank goodness you weren't on your cell phone. Who knows what could have happened.

ms_canada 10 years, 1 month ago

Always worked indoors as a nurse, but when a teenager worked outside with my father on the farm. No goats on our farm, though, just pigs, chickens and cows. Also garden work, big garden. Now, I think everyone knows the odour of a hospital. Sometimes it would have been great to be outside when the odour got too strong. I worked in emergency for awhile and the odour of blood along with unmentionable stuff is quite nasty and no windows to open. Yuk! Outside work looked rather appealing at such times. :o)

harrierist 10 years, 1 month ago

It depends on where you are from. Those of us raised in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle and Port Angeles) are used to rain and damp conditions with a temp range of 30 to 75, with humid cool days and always a cool breeze from the ocean. So for us now in living in Kansas and Oklahoma, a bright sunny day with warm to hot humid air (85 to 100+), is depressing. And creates a negative day at work. God after watching those folks in New Orleans suffer in the hot humid air, who would choose to live their is beyond me.

whosaid 10 years, 1 month ago

Can the questions get any more boring than this?

When blowing your nose, do you blow both sides or just one side at a time?

How many steps does it take for you to get to your mailbox?

Ok, I think I have the LJW set up for a couple of days.

Topside 10 years, 1 month ago

Worked doing construction QA/QC for almost five yrs. It blew chunks. We used to pray for rain because it was the only time we got a day off. Now I work indoors, wear a suit, and park in a parking garage.

staff04 10 years, 1 month ago

Worked on the grounds crew at a country club for four years, seasonally. I was one tan mother back then.

avhjmlk 10 years, 1 month ago

Well, when my "job" was being a full-time college student, the weather definintely affected me because KU Facilities and Maintenance does such a poor job of clearing snow/ice. Also, part of campus get really slick when it's rainy (all that pretty red paving brick outside the union is like a slipper-slide when it rains).

Now that I'm a cubicle-dweller, the weather only affects me during my commute...

avhjmlk 10 years, 1 month ago

omb-If I ever had to get under a trailer with a sledge hammer, it would be to clear me up from the job entirely. I would have no idea where to whack!

nlf78 10 years, 1 month ago

I commute and work in office 40 hours a week. But my husband does construction and because of the winters here, we are seasonally poor. But we do enjoy his time home because during nice weather he works 10 hours a day...

avhjmlk 10 years, 1 month ago

That means you're seasonally poor in exactly the worst season. That really sucks.

avhjmlk 10 years, 1 month ago

I meant seasonally poor in the worst season to be poor--holidays, New Years, Thanksgiving, Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice (or whatever you choose to celebrate), need for new winter clothes, etc.

It's like being a student and being out of money right before the end of the semester...same hit in the winter.

Ceallach 10 years, 1 month ago

Count me among the "only during my commute" group.

Unless you count the half an hour I drove a haytruck shortly after I was married. My brother-in-law wouldn't quit harping until "the city girl" joined everyone else (except their mother) in the hayfield. While I flatly refused to try to throw hay (there are snakes out there!!!) I begrudgingly agreed to drive the truck. Weeeellllll, it only took about 7 clipped bales for me to be sent to the house (to help mom) in disgrace as my hubby (bless him for defending me) and his brother argued over whether or not I had done it on purpose. [I learned a lot about cooking as I helped her feed the hay hands.]

bearded_gnome 10 years, 1 month ago

take your goat to work day...

was I comment %## fourteen or fifteen before...trying.

Italian sausages cooked in sherry. lunch.

nlf78 10 years, 1 month ago

We try to save and budget for the holidays over the summer months, but it is hard to have one seasonal unemployed member of the household during the holidays!

staff04 10 years, 1 month ago

Wow. LJW has finally driven everyone away from OTS. Guess I'll have to go back to actually working in the afternoons instead of wasting my days here...

I'll miss you all.

staff04 10 years, 1 month ago

Just kidding. I'm sure I'll be back, but the LJW has sure taken the fun out of it today.

bearded_gnome 10 years, 1 month ago

Staff, for ljw, would you please e-mail me, every time I try to fill in my "user profile" it gets refused. would like to communicate with you about this.

also, ljw staff, you demonstrate an obvious anti-gnome bias, as none of my posts have ever been "removed by the site staff."
you could start with this one?