Previous   Next

How does the weather affect your job?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 17, 2005

Browse the archives

“I work in a dish room, so it doesn’t really affect it that much besides how I get to and from work.”

“It’s a lot more enjoyable when it’s nice because I have to get in and out of my car a lot. When the weather is nice, I’m in a better mood, and when I’m in a good mood, everyone who works with me is in a better mood.”

“When the weather is nicer, I can work longer and make more money. It creates my workplace atmosphere.”

“It makes it better for me if it rains because less people come in, and I don’t have to do that much.”

Related story

Comments

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

Staff, for ljw, would you please e-mail me, every time I try to fill in my "user profile" it gets refused. would like to communicate with you about this.

also, ljw staff, you demonstrate an obvious anti-gnome bias, as none of my posts have ever been "removed by the site staff."
you could start with this one?

staff04 8 years, 6 months ago

Just kidding. I'm sure I'll be back, but the LJW has sure taken the fun out of it today.

staff04 8 years, 6 months ago

Wow. LJW has finally driven everyone away from OTS. Guess I'll have to go back to actually working in the afternoons instead of wasting my days here...

I'll miss you all.

nlf78 8 years, 6 months ago

We try to save and budget for the holidays over the summer months, but it is hard to have one seasonal unemployed member of the household during the holidays!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

take your goat to work day...

was I comment %## fourteen or fifteen before...trying.

Italian sausages cooked in sherry. lunch.

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

avhyoumademedaymlk, golly, thanks.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

Count me among the "only during my commute" group.

Unless you count the half an hour I drove a haytruck shortly after I was married. My brother-in-law wouldn't quit harping until "the city girl" joined everyone else (except their mother) in the hayfield. While I flatly refused to try to throw hay (there are snakes out there!!!) I begrudgingly agreed to drive the truck. Weeeellllll, it only took about 7 clipped bales for me to be sent to the house (to help mom) in disgrace as my hubby (bless him for defending me) and his brother argued over whether or not I had done it on purpose. [I learned a lot about cooking as I helped her feed the hay hands.]

avhjmlk 8 years, 6 months ago

omb, you ARE my sledge-hammer.

avhjmlk 8 years, 6 months ago

I meant seasonally poor in the worst season to be poor--holidays, New Years, Thanksgiving, Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice (or whatever you choose to celebrate), need for new winter clothes, etc.

It's like being a student and being out of money right before the end of the semester...same hit in the winter.

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

(musical voice on) I want to be your sledge-hammmer. (musical voice off)

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and if the two previous bans were to be implemented, there would be no need for OTS.

We could all become baristas / baristos, wander around downtown, and ask questions to LJW reporters.

Post THEIR answers to OUR questions on the web.

"Why don't you work for a REAL newspaper?"

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Okay, it sucks that you cannot read previous posts while composing your own. "SLEDGE-hammer."

Ban OTS.

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Ban fluorescent-lit cubicles.

Take o_m_b's jackhammer and make new interior courtyards to bring natural daylight (and cloud-watching) into office buildings!

avhjmlk 8 years, 6 months ago

That means you're seasonally poor in exactly the worst season. That really sucks.

nlf78 8 years, 6 months ago

I commute and work in office 40 hours a week. But my husband does construction and because of the winters here, we are seasonally poor. But we do enjoy his time home because during nice weather he works 10 hours a day...

avhjmlk 8 years, 6 months ago

omb-If I ever had to get under a trailer with a sledge hammer, it would be to clear me up from the job entirely. I would have no idea where to whack!

avhjmlk 8 years, 6 months ago

Well, when my "job" was being a full-time college student, the weather definintely affected me because KU Facilities and Maintenance does such a poor job of clearing snow/ice. Also, part of campus get really slick when it's rainy (all that pretty red paving brick outside the union is like a slipper-slide when it rains).

Now that I'm a cubicle-dweller, the weather only affects me during my commute...

staff04 8 years, 6 months ago

Worked on the grounds crew at a country club for four years, seasonally. I was one tan mother back then.

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

I was an over-the-road trucker for a while. Seemed like everytime I had to get under a trailer with a sledge-hammer to free up a rear-axle slider, it was raining.

Topside 8 years, 6 months ago

Worked doing construction QA/QC for almost five yrs. It blew chunks. We used to pray for rain because it was the only time we got a day off. Now I work indoors, wear a suit, and park in a parking garage.

whosaid 8 years, 6 months ago

Can the questions get any more boring than this?

When blowing your nose, do you blow both sides or just one side at a time?

How many steps does it take for you to get to your mailbox?

Ok, I think I have the LJW set up for a couple of days.

harrierist 8 years, 6 months ago

It depends on where you are from. Those of us raised in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle and Port Angeles) are used to rain and damp conditions with a temp range of 30 to 75, with humid cool days and always a cool breeze from the ocean. So for us now in living in Kansas and Oklahoma, a bright sunny day with warm to hot humid air (85 to 100+), is depressing. And creates a negative day at work. God after watching those folks in New Orleans suffer in the hot humid air, who would choose to live their is beyond me.

ms_canada 8 years, 6 months ago

Always worked indoors as a nurse, but when a teenager worked outside with my father on the farm. No goats on our farm, though, just pigs, chickens and cows. Also garden work, big garden. Now, I think everyone knows the odour of a hospital. Sometimes it would have been great to be outside when the odour got too strong. I worked in emergency for awhile and the odour of blood along with unmentionable stuff is quite nasty and no windows to open. Yuk! Outside work looked rather appealing at such times. :o)

bankboy119 8 years, 6 months ago

gnome, the next ban is going to be on clouds. Do you know how dangerous it is to look at them while you're driving? E_M you're lucky you didn't crash. Shame on you for looking at clouds while driving! Thank goodness you weren't on your cell phone. Who knows what could have happened.

linux_chick 8 years, 6 months ago

We have no windows and no overhead lights where I work to cut out the glare on our monitors. Underneath 10 stories of dorm apartments, I think a tornado could pass without us knowing it.

LC misses windows :(

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

I had goats...I banned them! Milking twice a day was just too much. Miss the cheese, though.

Do I see a goat in the clouds? Wait, where are the clouds?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

can we get better questions for OTS???

LD: all indoor, Radio, and "human services." as a teen milked goats every day for 8 years, definitely outside but in central CA only one ice day or two peryear.

what will the next ban be?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

LD - For the past five years I've had a strictly inside job. And that's because I went to college and actually graduated (as opposed to many of my friends that merely "went to Lawrence"). I worked on the farm since I was a kid, moved to Lawrence, worked as an auto detailer at the car wash. Not sure what you were getting at other than most people on this board probably don't have outside jobs due to the mass of postings we are able to spew out at will.

EM - I saw that same dolphin yesterday.

To answer the question... weather affecting my job... well, last Friday I took the afternoon off because it was so nice out. Otherwise, nil.

juscin3 8 years, 6 months ago

Good questions Hannibal. Now everyone will be thinking of that one while being outside. Wasn't payin attention to the clouds yesterday...too busy doin other things. My job is inside for 6 hours. Sometimes during the winter we have the heater blower on, and some of the coworkers don't think about anyone else but themselves and they go and shut the darn thing off! If you are hot, dress appropriately, if cold do the same, never know what the temp is like inside.
Be considerate of others!

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Yesterday I thought I saw maybe a dolphin in the clouds.

My passenger thought it looked more like a seal, and she was right. It looked like it could have been sliding along on its belly with its tail raised just so.

Thanks for the reminder Hannibal! ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 6 months ago

The weather affects every aspect of my job. All we need is 4 more days of NO rain (and very little dew would help). HA! Are we in KS, Toto?

Eric Beightel 8 years, 6 months ago

LD - I worked during the summers on a farm from age 10 to age 17.

In college, I worked as an intern collecting air samples which required that I be outside quite a bit.

Currently, I work outside about a week or so every month as I remove invasive vegetation while working to rehabilitate the prairie on the land that I manage.

As long as it isn't raining or below 10, I'm golden.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 6 months ago

Outdoors is beautiful therefore my job is the same. I love working in it. Sometimes the extreme heat is a bit much. Extreme cold = break time. Fall,spring and early winter are awesome.

neopolss 8 years, 6 months ago

I worked on the back docks unloading trucks at the Kmart DC. While not technically outside, during the winter there is no insulation in those trucks, not to mention that the docks allow so much air in that it might as well be outside. Despite the cold though, most of the time I worked in shorts and t-shirts, even at freezing or below. I worked up a sweat working there!

Hannibal_Lecter 8 years, 6 months ago

Tomorrow's question: Do you see shapes in the clouds? Why even continue this column?

blue73harley 8 years, 6 months ago

ld- I've been stuck in a cubicle for almost 30 years now! But when I'm driving to work on a crappy winter day I always think to myself - "man, I'm glad I ain't working construction!".

one_more_bob 8 years, 6 months ago

ld, I worked at a sawmill, about half the time I was outside, for a year & a half. Also was in the Army for two years. As an infantryman & then a tanker, the bulk of that was outside work. Currently have an inside desk job at at hospital, other than commuting, weather doesn't directly affect my work.

redbird 8 years, 6 months ago

It makes my days miserable if it raning all day,my job is also outside work.....as for lunacydetector's question,other than the 11 years of bartending,the other 19 years that I have worked haved been outdoor jobs,ranging from oilfield jobs to landscaping and farm/ranch work....

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Okay, I'll bite LD,

As an undergrad I worked for the Gardener's shop. Several years--part time, one summer full time.

In January I remember having to be clocked in by 5:30AM some mornings to be sent out with an ice chopper and a big bucket of sand to clear snow and ice from the steep sidewalk north of the Union. Then on to clearing steps in the north grove. With enough layers on, one would work up a bit of a sweat despite frigid cold temperatures, but it seemed nothing could be done to thaw out feet.

Spring meant planting and mowing. Summer meant, at that time, riding the water wagon; Autumn raking leaves. If it hadn't been for the 'office politics' which seem inevitable on every job, it would have been peaceful, good, productive work. Albeit minimal pay.

lunacydetector 8 years, 6 months ago

a non-scientific poll:

how many men and how many women who write on here have held a job requiring working outdoors, and for how long?

i did for 5 years.

italianprincess 8 years, 6 months ago

I work at home so I guess you can say it doesn't affect much. It does although wreck some days when the children can't go out and play when they want to.

I plan activities for inside when it rains, when its extremely to hot or cold and they have fun. Playdoh is a favorite here and also finger painting with pudding.

Looking forward to a nice day this Saturday at the benefit. They are calling for around 70 to 73 and we are hoping its going to stay and not change.

Off to bed now......have to be up in 4 1/2 hours to start my day.