Previous   Next

What do you do to protect yourself during flu season?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on October 12, 2005

Browse the archives

“I’m a little bit leery about getting a flu shot. I think there are so many strains out there that the side effects won’t be worth the risk. I just try to watch my environment, like what I wear and where I go.”

“I wash my hands a lot and use hand sanitizer. I work at home, so I’m fairly protected. I don’t come into contact with a large number of people. I’ve had flu shots in the past, but I don’t think I will get one this year.”

“Absolutely nothing that I don’t do all year round. I’ve actually never had a flu shot, and I’ve never gotten the flu.”

“I don’t worry about the flu, because I think when you are stressed out about it, you become more susceptible to it.”

Comments

massst 9 years, 2 months ago

I drink fresh Lemon juice with garlic...

spym00se 9 years, 2 months ago

Can the commission go ahead and BAN the flu please? Or make it go through a roundabout to slow it down...

Sigmund 9 years, 2 months ago

I'll bought designer surgical masks by the gross and will be selling them for obscene windfall profits on the corner next to the honk for hemp guy.

Redneckgal 9 years, 2 months ago

I got a flu shot one year and was sick for a week. So I decided so much for that. Now I just load up on the vitamin C and take echinacea. It seems to work for me. Knock on wood, I haven't had even a bad cold in 2 years.

sharron5rs 9 years, 2 months ago

Didn't yesterdays question deal with something like this? Or close enough to it?

bankboy119 9 years, 2 months ago

lol e_m pretty early to get your message banned huh?

Oh and as for the question, nothing I don't do all year round.

neopolss 9 years, 2 months ago

zzzzzzzzzz...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................

Next question please.

lunacydetector 9 years, 2 months ago

that is allowable Sigmund, as long as you don't use balloons to attract attention.

note: people who smoke marijuana are more likely to get the flu, so be careful.

italianprincess 9 years, 2 months ago

Good morning everyone..........

Coming from an Italian family we are used to taking my grandmother's recipe of Lemon, Honey, and Whiskey. I'm telling you it taste like %$@*, but kicks anything out of you system in no time. I have been taking this since I was a child and still do to this day. Takes a while to make, but it works wonders.

I keep up on my kids and give them meds when I know they are not feeling well. I figure if I catch it before it explodes then thats a good thing. My youngest has a bit of a cough right now and just took some cough and cold medicine and is sucking on a fruit breezer before he goes to school. Cough drops are not allowed anymore in school unless you leave them at the nurse's office.

The Hurricane Benefit Concert is moving along and we are so hyped out about it. We met with the bands this past Sunday evening and they are ready to play. They were quite surprised to see how organized we are and that we have what they need. We have given up on trying to find a stage for them with the stage company here in Lawrence. I made a phone call to a builders supply company and they have donated all the wood we need to make a 16X20 ft stage. All the merchants have been so wonderful and have helped out so much.

We are still looking for people to help out with our bake sale and our cake walk. If anyone in here would like to help us out by doing some baking we would highly appreciate it. Any baked goods for the bake sale if your choice. We are looking for cakes, pies, dishes of brownies, cookies for the cake walk. Even though its called a cake walk I was told you don't actually have to have strickly cakes.

Look for out fliers to be all over town in the next few days as CopyCo has offered to make up 5000 of them. Like I said our merchants here in Lawrence have been so willing to help us out. We are also on the calendar at Lawrence.com.

Time for work now, so everyone have a wonderful day........

bthom37 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey, as long as it's not that frickin stomach flu from 3 years ago, it won't be that bad.

italianprincess 9 years, 2 months ago

Oh and I forgot to mention that at last nights city meeting we got our beer garden approved. So come on out, listen to the bands play ( 7 of them ) , drink a beer, buy a raffle ticket ( awesome prizes ) and have a good time.

Hopefully looking forward to a large crowd on the 22nd. Its going to be a day of thinking about others in need right now.

We are also collecting canned goods for out local groups who help our community. If you bring a canned good you will get a free game ticket.

Hope to see everyone out.

Purell 9 years, 2 months ago

Feel free to use me liberally. I can kill those germs on your hands before you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth.

Purell with Aloe is the best; it doesn't dry out your hands.

As has been said before, if everyone had proper hygiene, there wouldn't be a flu season.

Cover your mouth when you cough/sneeze or use the bathroom then, wash your hands. If you can't wash your hands, use Purell

After you touch common objects like doorknobs, or even get change at the store, wash your hands.

Folks, this isn't a commercial, it's a way to prevent you and everyone else from getting ill. Kids need to learn these things as well.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 2 months ago

IP, I know you're busy, but where and when would you like those baked goods delivered?

Today's ?: As I said yesterday, I do naked headstands in the yard while reciting Shakespere. People won't come w/in 100 feet of a crazy person! Germs don't like to travel that far. That, and I bathe in hand sanitizer.

True story: I was watching my Dr. girlfriend's snot nosed babe and he (as babe's often do) came up to me and shoved a sticky booger covered finger right up my nostril. I was sure I was doomed but quickly remembered the HAND SANITIZER!!! You guessed it. I put some on my finger and plunged that right up my nose! Burned like @#$%. BUT, I did not catch his nasty cold. My girlfriend thought this was great therapy, if not slightly entertaining.

lunacydetector 9 years, 2 months ago

TOB - it is makes sense. passing doobies or bongs to one another during flu season is hazardous to your health. why wait for a sneeze in your face when you can get a breathy and saliva slimed injection from your germy friends? :)

thunderbuns 9 years, 2 months ago

I stay in my one-room apartment 24/7 while reading "The Divine Comedy" with Buddy's girl friend.

Sorry Buddy....

bearded_gnome 9 years, 2 months ago

ZZZZZ

here are some suggested "on the street" questions, some are serious, some not...can you tell them apart?

1. what can lawrence do to become really pedestrian friendly?

2. is billie mays really part of our species?

3. are you bothered by train whistles?

4. are you bothered by train whistles and do you live within a mile of real RR tracks?

5. should the city commission start putting new bans up for public votes?

6. has the smoking ban been changing how you live?

7. what would be good names for Lawrence's roundabouts, i.e. "the offtotheright roundabout?"

8. name your favorite Kansas University staffer or prof, of all time.

9. Will Mr. Bronze have his own reality tv show on channel 6?

10, can the LJW come up with better questions for "on the street?"

"I ain't no cowhand.com" www.cowboyculturalsociety.com>>

bankboy119 9 years, 2 months ago

1. real
  2. not
  3. not
  4. real
  5. should be real but they have their heads so far up each other's...
  6. real
  7. not
  8. KU sucks
  9. the answer is yes
  10. so as to not get this comment removed I'll say no but we all know the real answer.

ms_canada 9 years, 2 months ago

I do nothing unusual. Funny this question came up this morning. My good man just told me an hour ago that flu shots are now available. Don't know why he told me. I never get one. He does every fall. I have not had the flu for 10 years or more nor a cold. I attribute this to healthy eating, lots of veggies, little meat, drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep usually. Washing the hands is the best thing a person can do. Lots of washing.

Ceallach 9 years, 2 months ago

Take all the precautions we so carefully listed yesterday.

Purell: My desk bottle of . .well . . you .. says "with Aloe & Vitamin E," that makes mine special, right?

I can't help but wonder if our trusty tokers truly do not catch the flu -- or if maybe they are oblivious to it :):) That may be the way to keep the stress out of flu season!

bankboy119 9 years, 2 months ago

Flu shots are just another excuse for a company to market a useless product.

italianprincess 9 years, 2 months ago

Sunflower-Sue,

Thanks so much for doing some baking for us. What did you plan on baking? This way I can let the other ladies know what else to ask for from others who are baking also.

You can drop them off at my house the night before if you like. Email me for my address and thanks again for all of your help.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 2 months ago

Drink whiskey. Lots of whiskey. It'll kill any germs and in the event that it doesn't you'll be trashed so you won't really know or care if you have the flu or not anyway.

On the serious side..about those flu shots.my aunt got one 2 years ago and had some kind of a bad reaction to it. She ended up in the hospital for about a month because she couldn't walk. The doctor had some kind of a big long name for it I can't remember. Frankly I think those shots are more dangerous than the flu.

Ceallach 9 years, 2 months ago

You used Purell? Then you can relax, it's all in your head:)

hottruckinmama 9 years, 2 months ago

lol. ljw must be obsessed with the flu this week.

Ceallach 9 years, 2 months ago

It may be safe to get your Thanksgiving bird from Romania but whatever you do, no turkey from Turkey.

Ceallach 9 years, 2 months ago

I knew you would feel better after reading a BBC report. I see you too have learned to love the word "pandemic." :)

omb: as if men cared about how many drumsticks a chicken may have.

off to get a haircut - I hope the woman hasn't been eating turkey from Turkey! Will things to worry about never end?

sunflower_sue 9 years, 2 months ago

OMB, If you are a leg man, get your bird from France. BIG thighs but very small breasts. Hmmmmm....

bearded_gnome 9 years, 2 months ago

E.M. I don't think Offtotheright understood I was joking with a sort of pun; when you exit a roundabout, unless you turn left across [insert three stuges' sound effect], you are going 'off to the right!'

I agree with him 99% of the time, so I figure I can make a joke with him.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 2 months ago

now, regarding the questions above: 1. serious question but I bet ljw will never ask it! 2. actually serious, can Billie Mays really exist in a universe of polite humans? 3. serious question. 4. mental health assessment question. 5. ought to be another ljw question, but again I bet they never would ask! 6. another serious question.
7. if we're going to have these round-a-bouts, we oughta name them something. [half serious] 8. serious, my favorite KU employee: Eleanor Simons (sp?) she was reference librarian often in Watson when I was actually a student at KU; she was wonderful! she's the one with the english accent. I think this would be a great OTS question. 9. not serious, but would be improvement over about half the programming on channel 6. 10. would take a lot of courage for the LJW to do this for an OTS question.

okay-bye