Previous   Next

Do you have any objection to taking the day off of school for Columbus Day?

Asked at Haskell Indian Nations University on October 7, 2005

Browse the archives

“Not really. It’s just another day out of school. It gives me another day to study, so I don’t mind.”

“Yes, I have many objections. I don’t see any reason for there to be a holiday for him. He’s probably one of the worst men ever. It’s ridiculous.”

“I think it should be changed to honor both Native Americans and Columbus, but it should still remain a federal holiday.”

“No, I don’t have any objections. I know people want to put a lot of politics behind it, but I just like to have the day off.”

Related story

Comments

Jayhawk226 9 years, 7 months ago

I like Vay's comment from above...

...find a way to dedicate more attention to Native Americans, in addition to Columbus, and maintain the federal holiday status.

I suppose that would be a politically correct thing to do.

Hey wait a minute, I'm still teaching on Monday!! What the &@%$!????????

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 7 months ago

Of course! A day off? YESSIR! Kiss my @ss, work!

l_eustacy 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm indifferent about the day - are we desperate for ??s He was lucky not to have to worry about distractions like cell phones or roundabouts. I'll bet he walked to school.

sevenyearhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

I think this holiday is ridiculous. There is only one other Federal holiday for an individual, MLK, and I don't necessarily agree with that one either. (for other reasons)

From a journalistic standpoint of authenticity, this man never even actually set foot on this continent! If we need a holiday for explorers, how about Amerigo Vespucci, for which the continent was named.

Let's not even get started on the havoc this man and other explorers wrought on the indigenous peoples ...

MasterBlue 9 years, 7 months ago

First, I'm part Indian, so no one get offended. Can anyone honestly say they are worse off for Columbus' discovery than they would be if he had missed the Americas? Would you prefer nomadic wandering to studying in a comfortable college?

(BTW)- Nope, no objections here...

MasterBlue 9 years, 7 months ago

7yearhawk- I don't know how to post a link, so just copy and paste this URL. WHy should this guy get a holiday when all he did was sail around south america 10 years after Columbus?

HERE--> http://www.studyworld.com/Amerigo_Vespucci.htm

neopolss 9 years, 7 months ago

National Native American Recognition day might be a better day. And perhaps it is time to focus our efforts on making thinks right with respect to the reservations, government money, and land. Reservations are looking like third world countries (created through our policies and politics), while we spend truckloads on the Iraqis. It's time we brought the money home and concentrate on our own family.

Forget Columbus day, I propose Roundabout day!

Reader 9 years, 7 months ago

Off Subject, But How About That Fire? Thank Goodness For "The Kansas City Channel 9 LIVE" Or Else I Wouldn't Have Known Anything About It This Morning! As For "Channel News 6"..."Emphasis On Local" My @$$! Nothing There This Morning! Oh, And Hats Off To Channel 5 News Also For Being There "LIVE"!

glockenspiel 9 years, 7 months ago

[Off-Topic]

It's no wonder the media places more emphasis on getting the story first instead of getting the story right. If you found out about this tragedy this afternoon instead of this morning, it doesn't make it any less sensational.

Topside 9 years, 7 months ago

I would personally like to thnk the LJW for tipping their hand and asking only Haskell studnets/faculty trying to drum up controversy by finding an offended NA. Whoops! Didn't work too well, did it, LOSERS.
Snake-eyes on that roll, because its all hype there are a handful of activists out there who hate it, but for the 99 percent of us who don't have, too much free time, could really care less. We're all just squirrels trying to get a nut and love a day off when we can get it.

PS- I'm not considered a conservative, or even a moderate, but LJW is probably one of the most liberal rags that gets printed. It is hard for me to take them seriously since the biases hit you in the face like a 2x4. I even read a movie review the other day that had a political commentary in it. Hey, pal, if you can't fill your column space about the movie you either: A-should have been watching the movie instead of making out during it. I never fault a dude for gettin' his, but not when it affects your job. B-If you can't fill your column with actual movie opinions and facts you really don't know much about movies in the first place and are a fraud.

glockenspiel 9 years, 7 months ago

Columbus and his men killed, raped, and enslaved human beings...

Give him a day, but don't give a day off for him...

sevenyearhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

MasterBlue,

well, I'm not saying Amerigo is perfect, but somehow this continent has his name.

How about using this "holiday" to celebrate Cristobal Colon and Amerigo and Magellan and even Lewis and Clark ... a true explorer holiday. Heck, throw Neil Armstrong and John Glenn in for good measure!

It just bothers me as a historian and a journalist that Colon thought he was in INDIA, and in four trips to this hemisphere he never set foot in "America" and finally all the indigenous suffering he caused.

thanks for the link, good stuff!

enochville 9 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to the United States of Vespuccia.

bankboy119 9 years, 7 months ago

There was a war and one side lost. Doesn't matter if they were indiginous or not, they lost. It's absolutely ludicris to pay people who lost the war just because they lost. I don't see the South getting paid by the North because they lost the civil war. They're lucky to be sucking taxpayer money down like they are. Columbus does deserve the holiday because America wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him.

staff04 9 years, 7 months ago

macon- on the subject of offending someone with a holiday like that, you're right, someone will whine. It reminds me of a school program called "don't laugh at me." The right got all up in arms over it because it taught kids to not pick on children that were different from them. Gay agenda, they said...

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 7 months ago

Don't be a twit, bankboy. That is a totally over simplied view. The Native Americans settled under treaties. If our country broke treaties with other countries as they have the Indian treaties we would be embroiled in a diplmatic nightmare far worse than we are now and it's already pretty bad.

canyon_wren 9 years, 7 months ago

Good comments! I think it is so silly to assume that life for today's Native Americans (BTW--I understand most of them would prefer to be called by their tribes' names and not lumped together) would not be idyllic if Europeans had never discovered America. On the other hand, I know that it is far from idyllic now for many--especially out here in the West, where poverty reigns, in many cases (that's a whole 'nother issue). However, we don't celebrate Columbus Day because he "conquered" the indigenous people--we celebrate it because he had the courage to venture into the unknown--something we still celebrate, and, as far as I know, is not banned on the politically correct lists?

I agree that it would be nice, maybe, to change it to Explorers Day, just as we did with Presidents Day--if we want to recognize a few others. But the constant attempt to discredit people we have honored in the past is getting pretty tiresome!

As far as taking the day off is concerned, our local offices voted to "exchange" that day for the day after Thanksgiving--they knew it would be politically unacceptable to choose MLK day for that purpose. Even the PC considerations have to be prioritized! Not that I object to MLK day, though--as with the other explorers, there are some pretty significant Black Americans in our history who deserve recognition as well.

canyon_wren 9 years, 7 months ago

Correction--in the first sentence, I meant it would be silly to assume that the NA's lives WOULD be idyllic under different conditions.

staff04 9 years, 7 months ago

Uhhh...bankboy...hate to break it to you friend, but Kansas is sucking down redistributed taxpayer money just as quickly as any former confederate states.

Lulu 9 years, 7 months ago

Columbus brought the Americas down. America was a utopia and Columbus raped and pillaged through all of the native peoples peace loving habitat. Show humanity! His imperfection and disease should be spat on!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 7 months ago

No problem with the holiday.

that being said, it is time, here and now, we as a people must begin to honor the treaty obligations with native peoples! honor them fully and with respect

treat the native peoples as they were promised.

then, "bloody vikings!" (re spam)

sevenyearhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Canyon_wren,

thanks for support of my idea for Explorers Day.

And I have to admit some comments here are helping to soften my stance to this day. But I still won't use Colon's Anglo name ... :)

I guess I'll have to put more energy behind an Explorer's Day movement. Good comparison to President's Day! :D

I guess part of my problem with MLK day is just any day to honor one individual. I can't image from what I've read about him that he'd like so much attention either. Maybe that should become a day to recognize all those that wanted to improve others' lives. Cesar Chavez, Mother Theresa, Clara Barton, Gahndi, etc. ... But I'll leave that task to someone else ...

Confrontation 9 years, 7 months ago

I think it should be National Fitness Day. Then, I would be able to go to the gym instead of being stuck at work. Those who oppose this idea could spend the day at McDonald's.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 7 months ago

"wrap up all your troubles, and just yodel them away ..." www.cowboyculturalsociety.com>>

yes, there were native cowboys, black cowboys, and spanish/mexican. so this is not antidiverse...sit back down and don't wack me.

avhjmlk 9 years, 7 months ago

sevenyear--Explorers Day...Not a bad name, I think. Way to go!

Is that the kind of suggestion that can actually get submitted somewhere? Do we need to write a bill? (I'm actually not joking, it's a heckuva thought).

Linda Aikins 9 years, 7 months ago

I don't believe in Columbus Day.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Ban Consumer1 !!!

avhjmlk 9 years, 7 months ago

Gootsie, where are your jumbles? I'm sure you could get lots of good words out of columbus day

bankboy119 9 years, 7 months ago

staff, I was talking about Indians, not Kansas. Just another form of welfare that doesn't do anybody any good. But yes all government agencies spend too much money on too much crap.

Azure, what treaties? It's also interesting to note that if you study the history and judicial records back then that settlers that did break the agreements were punished because of the agreement being broken. If you'd like some specific examples I can get them once I get home from my job of being a twit....I like that word haha.

beatrice 9 years, 7 months ago

All the continuing talk on Columbus "discovering" America cracks me up. How does anyone discover a place where people are already living? Others have said this and I repeat it, but it is kind of like someone knocking on your door and when you answer he walks in and says that he has discovered your house.

Dump Columbus, lets have The Beatles Day! Now there are some lads from Europe who deserve our adulation. The holiday won't be to one person and like Columbus they aren't American, and we can dance all day long! Twist and Shout everyone!

staff04 9 years, 7 months ago

bankboy- sorry. Maybe you shouldn't have clarified it. It sounded a lot better when I thought you were referring to redistribution of tax dollars from the northeast and west coast to the former confederate states and not being so hostile towards a minority.

I disagree with your assessment of it as a form of welfare that helps no one.

Fry Karl Rove!! That guy is going down!

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 7 months ago

Bankboy, I'm not talking about settlers, I'm talking about the government. Where did you go to college? Bob Jones University? Goggle it! You will find plenty!

enochville 9 years, 7 months ago

A serious question: Outside of the USA, what kind of relationship do Native American tribes have with the non-natives in Central and South Vespuccia, I mean America?

Topside 9 years, 7 months ago

How does one not believe in Columbus day? He's not Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny he actually did exist.

just kiddin'

avhjmlk 9 years, 7 months ago

I have to say, "bum locus" is by far my favorite.

What's your bum locus?

Linda Aikins 9 years, 7 months ago

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

A lot of spit and vinegar running through the board today!

I have no druthers about Columbus Day.

I am curious about where people came up with the idea that the killing, raping and enslaving, as done to the natives by CC and Co. were novel actions perpetrated simply because CC was Euro and the natives were not. Throughout history, pick a location, this has been standard operating procedure since there were enough people to form a raiding party. Come on now, peaceful and idyllic lifestyles have always been a myth. Native American tribes were familiar with the practices long before any Euro arrived, why? Because that's what the tribes were doing to each other. Where did I learn this? In class at Haskell Indian Junior College! This information is know as History.

CC was the first of many, many explorers (read "invaders") to encroach on the territories of the first nations established on (or near) this continent. Euros killed, raped and enslaved each other before they were able to spread their "civilization" across the waters.

The most effective weapon Euros used against NAs was unification. The country was all but lost before NAs stopped fighting each other long enough to forge a unified defense of their territory. As with the Celts of Europe, NA's tribal independence and rivalries ultimately led to their defeat.

The recent incident in which a Native American young woman was assaulted is a sad reminder that not much has changed after all these years. What did she do wrong? Nothing. It was not a personal attack, it was in fact tribal.

captain_poindexter 9 years, 7 months ago

TOB may be the greatest guy on this site.

I really mean that too...hilarious.

canyon_wren 9 years, 7 months ago

Good points, ceallach. It would be nice if we could all agree that no one race or ethnic group has a corner on inhumane behavior.

bankboy119 9 years, 7 months ago

Azure you believe everything you read on the net? I'll tell you what, give me 10 min and I'll make a site that says if you give me $5,000 you'll live forever. Then Mike from yesterday can send Topside $5,000 and live forever because the newspaper said it too.

I bet Lulu has a site too.....wonder how truthful that is???

Oh btw I'll be expecting your check by the end of the week.

John Spencer 9 years, 7 months ago

The "Indian" in the commercial was "Iron Eyes" Cody who was actually Espera DiCorti, born of two Italian immigrants in Gueydan, Louisiana.

Topside 9 years, 7 months ago

4 out of 5 Mikes agree they would like to have Columbus day off.

Actually I don't know why everyone cares since only like 5 percent of people in the US actually get to take it off anyway. I'm peeved that I don' t get it off. Only G-men and bank teller.

bankboy119 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry that you guys don't get it off. When I get up at 10 I'll make sure to post and say hey before I enjoy my day off haha.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 7 months ago

Actually, Bankboy, I learned a great deal from my parents (one with a MA the other a PhD) prior to going to to college and more when I got there. This information now happen to be on the internet. I think you were sleeping in history class. Or maybe perhaps you need to stay off of Bill O'Schmuckly's webpage. You can stick the check.

bankboy119 9 years, 7 months ago

Haha calm down buddy I was just refuting your point. It just so happens that the KKK has a website too. And you know if you want to take all that liberal crap that you learned and call it "fact" like Darwin's THEORY of evolution go ahead. Here's something you didn't learn in school, Darwin at the end of his life said he was wrong. My father has a PhD as well, maybe we could all sit around some tea and crumpets eh? I'm sorry I don't know what that was all aboot.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 7 months ago

Calm down? CALM DOWN! WTF?! I can't calm down. I'm upitty. If you want to take all that conservative crap and call it fact go ahead. Liberal crap? It's called science. He didn't say he was wrong, he said "Rosebud . . . " You sound pretty guilible. I think you have surpased twitdom and accelerated to schmuck, old boy, harumph, harumph.

james bush 9 years, 7 months ago

Everybody should stay home and not drive their cars so the g...d'd oil gougers would make less $---of course that's too late now, the swindlers!

mikwastguven 9 years, 7 months ago

Me, While I love the idea of having a Monday off....I'm not too excited about celebrating some guy who got lost. Big Whopee. I do that once in a while. You don't see anyone making a national holiday over me!!!