Previous   Next

Could you perform CPR in an emergency situation?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 26, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes. I had a training class for school about three or four years ago, but it was pretty simple.”

“I could not. I’ve never had any classes, so I wouldn’t know how.”

“I could. It’s been a long time since I’ve had any classes, but I know I could do it.”

“I might need a little refresher. I’d prefer to have someone who knew it with me. I would find a way to save them.”

Related story

Comments

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I could if necessary, because I have to have the training for work, and update every year...but once you start, you'd better be prepared to keep it up until 911 arrives, or you can be held liable...and CPR is very physical, and will tire you out quickly... So, if you don't think you have the horses to keep it up as long as necessary, it's better not to even start CPR, bad as it sounds... Kansas does have a good samaritan law, though, which means if the victim is unconscious, you can automatically assume they'd want help if they could answer...some states don't have that, and you can be sued, even if the victim lives...

even_money 8 years, 4 months ago

ms_c, our Holiday Inn Express is right next to the bridge to nowhere.

Watch out for that adrenaline rush.

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

ok guys - we just returned from downtown San Diego and the Nutcracker was just marvelous. Really enjoyed it. then went to little Italy for supper. Now about the Edmonton Eskimos, I don't know they have been called that for as long as I can remember. We ARE IN the north!! Nobody up there makes any big to do about it. Our hockey team are the Oilers. At the games just as it is about to begin, the colored lights flash around and a huge big oil derrick is lowered down to the ice in front of the gate where the Oilers enter and they skate out through it and then the derrick is raised again. What a big to do for nothing if you ask me. They aren't that good. But to us is as basketball is to you Lawrencians. Purell, I was wondering if you had joined ceallach at that Holiday Inn Express. A while back she mentioned that she had stayed there. :o)

Purell 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express...

one_more_bob 8 years, 4 months ago

wendt, it's good that somebody is finally stepping into Lonely Guy's shoes, I think, actually it's kinda creepy, but what are you gonna do? BTW, just saw the Walk the Line movie. Liked it a lot.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm certified in first aid and CPR so I hope I could. I've had to do the Hymlic (sp?) maneuver 3 times...all successful WHEW!, and I once drove a stroke victim 90 MPR to the hosp. and managed not to kill anyone in the process. You don't know what you'd do in any given situation, but if I had to guess, I'd be the one knocking people out of the way to do the CPR and barking at the bystanders to dial 911. (I think I was born with the sh*t or get off the pot gene.):o)

Arschloch 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion,

Sometimes it's better to say nothing and let people at least think you have some self control.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 4 months ago

now, if we just could come up with an actual spirit of christmas past/present/future to pay Bea a visit, along with the rattling chains etc...

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, what Marion said. If you don't want to read a post, feel free to scroll on by, but you shouldn't knock somebody just for having time to type.

bearded: Only a few more hours and my punishment is over. This "Christmas Story" movie is pretty good by the way, even if watching it 24 hours straight is a little tough. A Red-Ryder bb gun, what was that kid thinking!?!

What? You said "Christmas Carol"?? 1938 and black and white??? Ugh! I guess I'll get back with you late tomorrow after another trip to the video store. bea

Marion Lynn 8 years, 4 months ago

Nudist, look up "party pooper", "unwanted input", "Who cares what you think?". "Put it in a bowl!", "Bite me!" and any number of other responses which could be calulated to get you to SHUT UP!

Thanks.

Marion.

nudist 8 years, 4 months ago

been there done that already

I don't feel compelled to provide the boring details as Marion does. Marion, look up succinct in the dictionary.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 4 months ago

looks like somebody performed CPR on KU's foo-bah team...they actually won and sounds like they will play in a bowl game...which game would be appropriate..."the potato bowl?'

interesting little fact: tiny charge can stop the heart, 20MA-50MA. to start the heart electricly you need one he11 of a lot more juice, applied in the right direction.

good stories Marion.

we sharing bloody war stories?

was walking dog before this current gnomedog; neighbor's four-foot tall old crapy wooden fence fell down. of course I tripped on it, one the boards got inserted in left hand between base of thumb and index. actually didn't hurt much at all. first I was aware of it was the massive amount of blood. I was alone, just me and dog home. as soon as I realized what was happening, I applied pressure, just pushed the side of the hand into my pant leg. at the ER they said I'd lost a lot of blood and if had not applied pressure when I did I'd have passed out. still have a good scar there, will show it if you wish...needless to say, the pant leg was all full of blood, good thing those were my crud pants already! I typically wore them for BBQ or on muddy days.

still goal post hunks wandering around Lawrence.

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

prospector: "Is Edmonton in trouble for having a non PC name?" Good question. I am curious too, and I wonder if they have mascots that dress up in a stereotypical fashion like some of the Native American-inspired mascots do here (please note that I say "some" and not "all"), or is it handled differently by our Northern neighbors? Or do they just not care to make a big deal out of it? Interesting.

prospector 8 years, 4 months ago

Thanks ms-c

Just whisper in my ear what you are about to do and I would start right up. ;0)

Who are you rooting for? What is an Alouette? Is Edmonton in trouble for having a non PC name?

Enjoy the Nutcracker. Ballet is one of my favourite spectator sports. Watch out for those dasturdly mice.

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

Big PS here that I think I should clear up. My jumper cable stuff is all a big joke, if anyone out there did not get that. just following up on e_m's bit. but I am confident the you are all very clever and wouold have got that, but couldn't take a chance :o)

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

prospecter and bea - yes there is a positive and negative and you better not get it wrong. The pos. is red and the neg. is black. :o) :o) You attach the red cable on the right wrist and the black one on the left ankle. It's actually quite easy to do. bea - well, you better say clear unless you want to defib more than one person. I worked in emerg for several years. Have a nice day everyone. My sis and I are going to see the ballet Nutcracker this pm. lovely day here. Grey Cup football game in Vancouver, BC tomorrow and the Edmonton Eskimos are in it against the Montreal Alouettes. Talked to my good man this am. He will be glued to the set. Big day for footie fans in Canada. ciao all!!

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

ms_c, you actually used a defibrillator to save somebody? Did you say "Clear" like they do in all the tv shows? Very cool.

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 4 months ago

I only have a vague understanding of the process and would only step up if there were no others able to or if I could be talked through it by emergency personnnel.

Marion, your "war stories" were interesting and I sensed this feel that I had when after I pulled a 8 year old girl from Lake Michigan. I was living in Chicago, I was only 12 myself, and diggin' a day at my neighborhood beach. The water was fairly choppy that day and the lifeguard shouldn't have let us swim. The girl couldn't control her body for the waves and lost it. I went to get her and she started to pull me down. I took a deep breath and juttted backward with my feet as hard as I could and managed to get us both out. I now know that feeling I had when it was over was that I needed a tall, cold one really, really bad. The lifeguard wouldn't let us swim anymore that day. And I bet one of the reasons the lifeguards have something to throw out there is the drown-ee that is still conscious will first grab for that if it's the first thing available.

prospector 8 years, 4 months ago

Please help.

Where do you make the positive and negative connection to the body? Is there a wrong way to do it?

ms_canada 8 years, 4 months ago

It is a rather scary thing to have to do. But yes, I could do the necessary, being a nurse. Have never actually performed CPR. Now, as to e_m's method, that I have done and that worked beautifully. The victims heart jump started on the first try. I was so pleased with myself. :o)

prospector 8 years, 4 months ago

I would need to refer to Emily Post on the performance in a social situation. Which spoon for a tongue depressor? Is it compression from the right and breathing from the left?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 4 months ago

Not only could I perform CPR in an emergency situation but I feel confident I could do it in a recreational situation also!

Pywacket 8 years, 4 months ago

Depends on who was dying..... ;-)

I like Even_Money's reply best...

I did have CPR training through the workplace some years back, and think I could do the chest compressions and breathing correctly, but am not sure I'd remember the particulars of timing (one breath to how many chest compressions? 5 maybe?)..

I think I could perform a Heimlich in an emergency, and clear the air passages in a near-drowning. I hope, in terms of keeping someone going until the ambulance got there, something would be better than nothing in most of these scenarios.

This reminds me of the old joke of the two buddies, one of whom gets bitten by a rattlesnake on his ... rattlesnake. Remember that? The punchline goes, "The doctor says you're gonna die." ;-) (Google it if you don't remember the rest!)

I'm going out to enjoy this lovely day, now. Cheers.

one_more_bob 8 years, 4 months ago

I took a CPR class this past March after I started working at a hospital. Haven't had to do CPR for real yet. It's still kinda freaky to hear the PA system calling a code blue (which means somebody has just quit breathing/having heart function & needs to get a jump start).

Marion Lynn 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh, too funny!

Thanks.

Marion.

prospector 8 years, 4 months ago

CPR

Is that Citizens for the Propagation of Roundabouts?

Look in their wallet for a DNR order first.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 4 months ago

Thanks! The plumbing thing was a relatively easy fix which took more time to tear out than to replace!

We'uns had turkey and taters and veggies and pie and the Doggie Children got the runoffs and leavins' (Less the bones, of course!) to flavour the dry food.

Happy people, happy dogs.

Hope things went well for you as well!

Thanks.

Marion.

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

I have had the class, but never have had to actually perform.

Marion, hope you got that plumbing problem under control and that it didn't disrupt your Thanksgiving too terribly.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 4 months ago

Yes and have on three occasions. Just lucky I guess.

One was a drowning victim who began to breath on his own after a short CPR session, the second, it turned out had aspirated a hard candy ball and we got him unclogged and breathing again but the third, an elderly man died after we reached the hospital.

The ambulance attendants(They were not EMTs at that time but nevertheless knew CPR), my partner and myself worked the man all the way to the ER.

Turned out that he'd had a massive heart attack and although his heart did start several times and he would breath on his own for short periods, he had no chance from the beginning.

Poor man, we were all young and we were saying things like, "Don't you die on us! If you die on us we'll kill you!"

Halfway to the hospital his heart stopped so we used the pericardial thump which was acceptable at the time and , by golly, his heart started right up!

The man even spoke to us on the way and thanked us for helping him.

The doctors later told us that it would have been impossible for him to have spoken to us but the much older physician in charge of the ER disagreed with them and told them to put a cork in it.

This older doctor then took us into his office where he fixed us up with a tall one to calm us down.

Everyone should learn as much about CPR and other first aid techniques as they can.

Even a small cut in the right place can be deadly and it can be so simple to stop the bleeding and save a life.

Mere immobilisaton of auto accicent victms can save lives.

On another occasion way out west on Hihgway 4 we came upon a '67 Buick that had been rolled into a ball and there was no one around.

The engine was still hot, anti-freeze was dripping and then, there it was...a blood trail so we followed it.

Half a mile down the road we came upon an injured woman who was banged up, bleeding real good from a couple of holes where people are not supposed to have holes and was carrying her small child as she walked down the narrow cleche country road.

She was so disoriented from the accident that she didn't know what had happened and didn't realise that the blood on the baby was actually her own and not the kid's!

The baby (babies being made of rubber-like substance) was fine and for all we know thought that the rollover had been fun!

We stopped the bleeding by applying direct pressure to her injuries with shop towels and our coats , got her into the back seat and blasted the 35 or so miles to the nearest hospital.

The woman had several broken vertebrae and might have very well severed her spine had she not been immobilised.

I learned CPR and basic first aid techniques in Red Cross classes, 4H and in the Boy Scouts efore additional emergency training on the job, most of which was pretty primitive by today's standards but still work and work well.

So many lives can be saved with only a little knowledge and training.

Thanks.

Marion.

sharron5rs 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh YES I Can!!! I was an EMT for several years before becoming an EMTI. Out of 18 yrs or so doing emergency work Ive had 2 saves. Its one of the best things in the world to hear from someone youve worked on to come up to you and simply say "Thanks". Just wish I was still in the emergency service.

jonas 8 years, 4 months ago

Could I perform it? Sure!

Would it help? Er, no. Probably not.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't know CPR, but I could act like it if I were on TV or for a movie. Does that count? =) After all, presentation is everything.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely. It's not something I look forward too - people usually puke when you do it. Plus, the sound of their ribs separating from their sternum is pretty gross.