Previous   Next

What is the best way to cook a turkey?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on November 23, 2005

Browse the archives

“Roast it with salt and pepper. Don’t overdo it and add too many spices. Just keep it simple.”

“I go with smoked. I think it gives it a better flavor than roasting or basting it. I like the flavor that smoking gives to just about any type of meat.”

“Smoke it. I’ve only had it that way one time, but I thought it was much more tasty than roasting it.”

“I think roasting it is still the best way. My grandmother always roasts the turkey, and it’s always very yummy.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

well, now you've got Mrs. gnome posting on here!

never heard of the paper bag method.

my poem under the "quiet zone" article, the quiet zone is the banning of train whistles, and they are also considering "traffic calming devices" on 13th street. 13th is the main funeral procession route. so, I couldn't resist writing a poem which combines roundabouts and hearses.

happy thanksgiving, which it is just now! though not yet for MS_Canada, you've got two more hours.

yellowrose 8 years, 5 months ago

Hi Ms_Canada and Ceallach!

I really enjoyed meeting both of you and the conversation we had during our visit. Ms_Canada, I'm glad you made it to your destination safely.
Happy Thanksgiving to all and may God bless everyone as we gather together to partake of the bounty He has blessed us with.

yellowrose 8 years, 5 months ago

How to cook a turkey? The old-fashioned way. After it's thawed, I use the gibblets for broth with seasonings. While broth cooks I make my cornbread from scratch for the dressing, not that packaged crap. I chop bell peppers, cellery, onions and water chestnuts for the dressing. Then I mix the crumbled cornbread, vegetables, raw eggs and enough broth to make a very wet dressing. Then I stuff the turkey with the dressing and pour the remaining broth in the roasting pan. Mr. Stuffed Tom goes in the broth and is covered. He cooks over night at about 300 degrees. We awaken to the smell of that wonderful bird the next morning. Take the lid off and allow that bad boy to brown and you've got some good eating to look forward too. Add my homemade cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, Bearded_Gnome's pink mashed potatoes, roles and my homemade Sweet Potato Pie and that's dinner. Sometimes I add Candied Yams but most often I reserve that recipe for Christmas. I know they say not to stuff a turkey any more but I think the reason for that is the laziness of cooks in our "hurry-up" society. People started stuffing turkeys the night before cooking them and the stuffing spoils inside the bird. If you stuff the bird just before it's put in the oven, the stuffing is fine and the flavor is so much better.
No pumpkin pies here. During our first Christmas I got Bearded_Gnome hooked on Sweet Potato Pie and now nothing else will do.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

If they don't leave it alone, just eat them!

Have a good one sunny_sue :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Ceallach, never heard of the "brown bag" method. (I've heard of the "turkey baster" method. Hee, Hee) I'm going to have to try that one sometime (the brown bag, that is). Right now, I have my 19+ pounder soaking in salt/sugar water brine in one of those big orange beverage coolers. Won't fit in my fridge so I just have it sitting out on the porch! (It was partially frozen...I think it will be fine.) Hopefully the critters will leave it alone. :P

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

omb: chili for Thanksgiving, I think you are catching on to being Texas rather quicky :) Enjoy!

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

I won't be cooking a turkey this year, I've been assigned the candied yams, layer salad and corn casserole. Just finished preparating and refrigerating them all (just need to bake the hot dishes in the morning). The family holiday pitcher of Sangria has been made and is chilling. btw, the family pitcher is not for the family :):) it's for me after spending a solid day and evening with the entire family . Just kidding, I love my people : )

e_m, my tolerance for alcohol is too low to start early in the day (darn Cherokee blood!!) I have to save it til last : )

sun_sue, your cranberry sauce recipe sounds really good, I WILL be making that one for Christmas. I guess I can still have Christmas on the board, I can no longer have it at work -- just Winter Break!

When I do cook a turkey I rub butter all over the outside of a 20 - 22 pounder, put it in a brown paper bag, staple the opening of the bag shut, about midnight Wednesday I put it in an oven preheated to 275 and go to bed. Next morning I have a golden brown, tenderly delicious turkey. Lots of broth to cook the giblets for gravy. You also have time to use the real broth in your dressing. Sounds odd I know but my mother always cooked it that way and it turns out great, no basting necessary.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Manana's Manana

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

102. Buffalo's going into the pot in the morning. The chili should be done by early afternoon. I'm trying some different salsa in place of the tomato paste the mix recommends. I'll let you guys know how it goes. BTW, had to settle for regular above-ground buffalo.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Congrats! All y'all have hit 100!!

Gotta read now to catch up : )

Jill Ensley 8 years, 5 months ago

Raider is the typical online lurker. Don't think too much, just assume and then lash out. Certainly you must know what happens when you assume.

As for my stupid blurb, I read it in the new issue of Gourmet magazine. Then I tried it and it turned out great. I actually like lots of spices. But thanks for playing.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Gootsie, I suck! My 11 year old got 18.078...she rocks!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

gootsie, 16.969...I really rock!

e_m, for you:

Cranberry salad

1 c sugar 1 1/2 c craisins (or cranberries) 1/2 c crushed pineapple 1/2 orange w/ peel (pith removed), chopped well 1/2 apple, chopped well 1/2 c celery (yes, celery) 1/2 c pecans, chopped 1 pkg raspberry jello

Stir first 7 ingredients together in a bowl. Dissolve jello into 1 c boiling water. Let congeal slightly and stir into fruit mixture. Chill. Deeeelish!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Ms_C, Sooooo glad to see you made it safe and sound to Cali. Too bad you couldn't stay a few more days. My friend from Iowa comes tonight and she would just LOOOOOOVE you! (she has good taste):)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

gootsie, 8.718 seconds...I rock!

My bro's computer broke. Going to get a new one but until then, he'll be here tomorrow and he can play then:)

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

ms_c, lovely to hear you enjoyed your visit to Lawrence, KS. Might I add, possibly on behalf of the rest of us, that you are an exquisite person and we most enjoyed your company also? Your stories were moving, especially of your visit to Guatemala (pun). :)

If I gush any more some wisecrack will come along and suggest we get a room.

Enjoy the holiday with your daughter, and thank you so much for visiting with us!

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh yes, the best way to cook a turkey. Just roast it with a good chestnut stuffing, that is our favourite. Oh and yes the proper way to spell favour is indeed favour. :o) At least marion and I agree on that.

ms_canada 8 years, 5 months ago

e_m - were you deliberately trying to hurt us with that post of your turkey roasting method? I laughed so hard I hurt myself. Now you just apologize, like a good boy!! Well, I arrived here safe and sound thanks to ceallach's tender loving care. I did indeed have a most wonderful time in your lovely city. I think I was hugged more in 6 days than in the last 6 years. You must pat yourselves on the back for being such excellent people. I saw so much of your delightful city and I met and thoroughly enjoyed the company of ceallach, sunflower sue, fangorn, even money, azure attitude, bearded gnome and mrs, gnome, unfortunately La Prima Tazza would not allow gnome dog to enter their establishment. Good thing I did not have time to post yesterday or marion would have got a piece of my mind. I have never read such drivil on the street in the entire last year. Has lulu been reincarnated? No, I take that back, lulu could not possibly be that much of an eejit.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Rats. You know what? Seems I gave away my canned cranberry sauce to the FSHS kids for their food drive. And I'm not making yet another trip to the store just for this.

In my cupboard I found a bag of "Craisins Trail Mix", separated out the cashews and peanuts from a couple handfulls of the stuff, placed it in a saucepan with 1/2 c of grocery-store cranberry juice (always good to have on hand--maybe I will try a splash with the whiskey later) and added a moderate dollop of lemon juice on top. I brought it to a simmer for about 10 min and just now stirred it. The whole house now smells holiday festive.

Allowing it to steep for about another hour, I plan to chill it prior to serving. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gootsie 8 years, 5 months ago

Another game to make us crazy! S_S, for your brother!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

Yes, here's an animal food story. whenever mRs. Gnome eats asparagus (I can't stand the stuff) we have to watch her plate carefully, because for some reason gnome dog will steal it off of her plate. he once did this, passing up a lamb chop!

and, indeed kids are weird: when I was a kid, parents gave me money to go to the store to get whatever I wanted...normal children, like most of you? would get candy/other sweets...etc.
me, no, I'd get liverwurst. still like the stuff when made right.

unusual thanksgiving entres...when I was growing up, in central Calif where artichokes are grown, we used to have artichoke pie, made from one heck of a lot of artichoke hearts, not the kind from the can with that revolting brine. it would be similar to pumpkin pie.

happy day all.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

Can I be one of CHAR's in-laws! yumm.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

As soon as I get one more bathroom cleaned, the liquor store opens at my house! Then the pie making commences...

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

s_s, yeah I'm on vacation but I simply couldn't resist posting that little gem.

Anyone know what time the liquor stores close? :)

prospector 8 years, 5 months ago

Did the Pilgrams or the Indians bring the olives? ;0)

Give thanks for every day.

Peace

Gootsie 8 years, 5 months ago

I take large pitted black olives and fill them with squeeze cheese (in a can) and eat until I'm sick of them. My own little hors d'oeuvre.

No cat stories.

char 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm still addicted to black olives. I can eat a large can by myself. Anyone else ever put an olive on each finger and wave them in your sibling's/cousin's face?

char 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't think I will ever be allowed to cook thanksgiving dinner, because I don't like turkey. Unless the family is willing to have a lamb roast instead of turkey, I don't have to worry about cooking. I am making chocolate french silk pie, however. My mother always made it, so I like to make one to take to my in-laws'. Our recipe is much better than the kind you get in restaurants.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Badger, funny story about the olives. I don't know what it is but I think black olives are like kiddie crack. I remember doing the same thing when I was little.

passionatelibra 8 years, 5 months ago

My old cat loved green onions straight out of the ground/pot

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

My cat will knock over the trash can to get to salad leftovers. If I use fresh parsley or dill for anything, she'll drag the stalks into the middle of the living room and roll around and chew on them.

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

"vegan whipped cream that tasted like angry plastic"

oh badger, i nearly hurt myself laughing on that one!

happy T'givin' y'all!

wonderhorse 8 years, 5 months ago

I used to have a cat that loved cantaloup.

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I used to know a cat that liked grapefruit. He wasn't a vegan, tho. If there was shrimp in the house, he'd go into panther mode.

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

GEB: Tamales. do they count as untraditional? A true southwestern tradition, and even more prevalent during Christmas. I'm not talking about the little, dried out things with hardly any stuff inside like you find in restaurants in Lawrence. I'm talking about thick, juicy, and spicy tamales -- chicken, beef, or "green" corn. The spicy tamale is a nice balance for the turkey. I don't make them, but have friends in Phoenix who do. I haven't had any good tamales for a while, so I am looking forward to this week's festivities! I'm off to lunch. I'm getting hungry just thinking about the meal to come. Yum.

Also, a nice bottle of Boujelais Nouveau at Thanksgiving is a must -- the new wine of the year, which just came out last Thursday (3rd thursday of November every year).

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

Last year my sister came in with her husband and two kids for Thanksgiving at Mom's. My youngest nephew, just over 18 mos old, pointed to the plate of black olives and said, "What's that?" My brother-in-law said, "Oh, those are olives. You can try one," and then turned to the rest of us and said, "He probably won't like it, he's really pick--"

Then he had to grab the plate, as four olives vanished in rapid succession, and his son followed him around for five or ten minutes after dinner, repeating, "Lollib? Lollib?" For days, at every meal, he would search his little plate carefully, then look up at my sister in consternation and say, "Lollib?"

He's still on the olive kick, so my sister uses them for rewards. If they sit down and read a story together, they can have a little dish of four or five olives to share, and if he comes home from preschool with a 'Good Day' sticker on, his snack can be olives instead of crackers and peanut butter if he wants.

He doesn't want sweets, or soda, or chips. He wants black olives. Kids are weird.

prospector 8 years, 5 months ago

Prime Cut MMMMMMMMMMM

Sissy Spaceks best work. First movie for KU grad Hugh Gillian. One of those character actors you would say 'Oh him'. His best gig was as the sherriff on "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman".

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

By the end of the day, I'll bet that at least one vegan will simply refuse to eat tomorrow!:o)

BTW, are animals morally wrong to eat meat? What do vegans feed their pets? (I'm sure that someone makes a 100% vege. pet food.)

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

After seeing the movie "Prime Cut" back in the 70's, I was nervous about combines for years.....

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Just for the vegans (and anyone else that is curious):

I will note, however, that some of these ingredients listed can also be derived from vegetable sources.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Don't know the FDA's acceptable level of "parts" in grain but I do know that the "animal food" industry has far higher standards for the grain they accept than the "human food" people do. (TRUE!)

prospector 8 years, 5 months ago

Like Mom does. Damn, I'm gonna miss it.

blue73harley 8 years, 5 months ago

GEB - I like all the traditional stuff too but, please, no green jello with ___(fill-in-the-blank)in it. If you don't like to cook BUY something to contribute to the meal. Don't be lazy and bring that jello crap to my house!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and we have to have lots of black olives so the little ones can put one on each finger and we can tell them they are going to get sick from eating so many..they never do, though.

prospector 8 years, 5 months ago

Like mom did.

Does anyone know the FDA acceptable amount of bug/rat parts in wheat/soy/ect?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

GEB, got my dough for my rolls made. Also have everything assembled for stuffing. Cranberry salad ingredients are all chopped and will be finished tonight. Pecan and cherry (NOT canned) pies will be made tonight. Everything else tomorrow...turkey, mashed 'taters n gravy (giblet, of course), candied sweet 'taters w/ the marshmellows, greenbean casserole, & relish tray. Did I leave anything out? Oh yes, pumpkin pie. Pretty traditional here.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 5 months ago

What about the rest of the dinner, guys? Soyjunk and liquor aside, what are some uncommon T-Day dinner staples?

My mom is so lucky to have her kids home! She's still working away at the office and we've prepped and cooked everything that can be for tomorrow: Apple Pies Punkin' Pies Stuffing/Dressing Fruit Salad Sweet Taters Green Bean Casserole

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 5 months ago

Sunflower Sue - Is that true about animals getting sucked up in the combine?

I love all animals. Especially on a plate with a side of mashed taters!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

"Soyrizo" is actually very good...but very fatty as well.

Raider 8 years, 5 months ago

Jill is the typical Kansas eater. Just a little salt and pepper. Not too much though. And no spices. That might make it too racey! Keep it bland.

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

Aiko: From an agnostic liberal's view, I have no problem with the expression "God Speed," and have used it at times myself. It is a good phrase that gets the point across, but has lost favor perhaps because in our modern times everything is already too fast. We now need things to slow down. As a result, I think we hear "the patience of Job" with greater regularity.

I like what comedian Jack Black has to say about things like soy whipped topping and soy milk (paraphrasing): "No such thing as 'soy milk,' because there is no such thing as a soy tittie. You can't call it what it is -- soy juice -- because just by saying it it makes you throw up just a little bit in your mouth."

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, tofu is fine when it's admitting to being tofu, like in tofu pad thai (Yeah, I think I know what I'm having for lunch today...).

But when soybeans try to be bacon or hamburger meat, I just have to say no way, jose. I think it's Morningstar Farms that makes a really great veggie burger, with big chunks of crisp veggies and water chestnuts in it, and a fabulous spicy black bean burger, but the soy 'hamburgers' are vile. You think that if they're so reluctant to consume meat, they would try a little less hard to approximate it and just let beans be beans.

BunE 8 years, 5 months ago

Shoot it.

Pluck it

Deep Fry it 25 meters from your house.
or Roast it in a Pepper/Coffee rub

Drink Irish or Scotch whiskey, enjoy!

Punch your uncle for being an a$$

I like tofu but eating it thanksgiving style seems sort of gross. tofu Pad Thai. Now THAT is tasty and I am willing to give thanks for it.

MMMMMMPad Thai

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

Vegan pumpkin pie has no dairy in it.

I guess that means no evaporated or condensed milk, and that you have to put whipped soy or rice cream on top of it.

blinks

Having tried some form of vegan whipped cream that tasted like angry plastic, I think I'm perfectly happy with my dairy consumption, thank you.

passionatelibra 8 years, 5 months ago

First year eating pizza for myself and my daughter. We'll eat pizza, put ornaments together and watch movies this year. All my family is back home (Fairbanks Alaska holla!) so we're trying something new. I'm looking forward to it!

Everyone have a safe and fun holiday!

lunacydetector 8 years, 5 months ago

greeneyedblues cracks me up!

lulu, you poor baby implying that people who are vegans are discriminated against in today's question and in the same breath slamming people who believe in God.

....and what exactly is mouth-watering "vegan" pumpkin pie? isn't pumpkin pie animal free anyway? i'm surprised tofurkey doesn't make you sick since it's name is derived from a hormone filled decapitated turkey, gobble-gobble!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 5 months ago

The best way to cook a turkey is to cook it thoroughly. Lulu - Tofurky is great bait when hunting live turkey's. The smell helps draw them out into the open. Thanks for the suggestion!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Just a quick fact for the vegans:

Do you know how many mice, rats, skunks, and even the occassional dog get run through a combine every year while harvesting your soybeans? Just so you know...they are never really 100% animal free. OOPS, you maybe didn't want to know that. Hope that doesn't spoil your tofurky.:o)

The trap door buffalo and prairie squid are usually big enough that they won't pass through the combine. Just plugs everything up. What a mess!

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

blue73harley, I think a .50 caliber Desert Eagle would be a more suitable firearm for the area you are going. Don't forget the vest and good luck! Can one say "God Speed" anylonger or is that offensive? I would really like to know..

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I hope each and everyone of you eat want you want, drink what you want and relax without any guilt or drama. Be safe too.....

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

e_m, sounds like a perfect recipe! Now, aren't you supposed to be on vacation???

Rooga, I thought this was your 5th year for frozen pizza.?.

Not trying to pick on you vegans out there, but...if your non-vegan friend was coming over for Thanksgiving, would you cook him/her a turkey?

Marion, you truly are paradoxical!

How to cook a turkey: slow and low. I may try to encorporate e_m's recipe though.

OMB, I always thought it was "sue weeeee...here piggy, piggy, piggy.":o)

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Where is LuLu? I am ready for some LuLu fun...

blue73harley 8 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of traveling, we're visiting the wife's relatives in Wy Co. (KCK) so I am wondering...is it fashionable to wear the bullet-proof vest in or out? And is a .45 Caliber Gov't Model Colt enough firepower these days to handle any drive-bys that we might encounter?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

good morning, nice to see EM, and removed posts! happy thanksgiving!

I would note that I just posted a poem under the proposed "quiet zone" article, if any one wishes to read it.

my choice, smoked turkey goood...at home no smoker, so roast with cornbread stuffing in the bird, stuffing starts very wet, with waterchestnuts, loads of garlic/sage/onion. yummm, and yes I I I do know I am a risk taker to eat the stuffing from in the bird, but its so damned gooood.

we make the cranberry from scratch, the little berries pop like popcorn, sure beats that canned cranberry spam you get at the store.

travel safe, y'all come back in one piece. unless, you're the turkey.

wonderhorse 8 years, 5 months ago

By the way, what about the killing of all of those innocent soy plants just to make tofu? They never hurt anybody.

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

Quick note:

Don't assume, Lulu. I eat free-range hormone free turkey, raised without all those nasty chemicals. Please don't assume everyone who consumes meat is ignorant of health, environmental, and ethical concerns regarding their consumption choices. On that note, how sure are you that your holiday tofurkey wasn't made from GMO (Genetically engineered, often sterile, mass-produced products, usually produced by large corporate farms as they drive the family farmer under) soybeans? I'm afraid you can't be sure at all, because the last time I looked, it was close to impossible to find certified GMO-free tofu anywhere but a few specialty products, tofurkey not being one of those. Motes, beams, eyes, and so forth, dear. We all make the ethical decisions we believe to be the best ones.

As to cooking a turkey, I simmer two fresh bay leaves and two diced cloves of garlic in half a cup of olive oil over the very lowest heat possible heat for about an hour, until the flavors have infused the oil. Rinse the turkey and pat dry. Remove the organ meats for gravy if you choose. Put one onion, quartered, half an apple, two more fresh bay leaves (you can substitute one dried for two fresh), and three whole cloves of garlic into the turkey. Open the flap of skin at the neck and fold the other half of the apple into that opening.

Tuck the wings and tie the drumsticks, and brush the turkey with the olive oil until it is thoroughly coated. Sprinkle with powdered thyme, rosemary, white pepper, and black pepper and bake at 325 until the meat thermometer registers 170. After about an hour, put foil boots on the drumstick ends to keep them from getting tough. When the meat thermometer says 170, take the bird out of the oven and cover it with foil for 20 minutes to half an hour. The internal temp should hit 180 at least.

Oh, and jonas? That beak-and-feather tip really helped out. I'd spent years trying to get this recipe right, and the hardest part was getting the olive oil to soak through the feathers...

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Whooo weeee, Pigs! (UA alum here)

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

Best way to cook a turkey is to beat 'em by one point in Maui.....

wonderhorse 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks to you also, OMB. I had forgotten that you were a "furriner".

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Good Old Westheimer.......

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I found fresh buffalo at Central Market at 3815 Westheimer here in Houston. In Lawrence, the Merc used to have frozen buffalo. They may still carry it.

angelofmine 8 years, 5 months ago

Ahhh....nothing like a couple removed posts and a little Lulu to start the day off right, eh? LOL

I can understand where you're coming from Lulu. But as I am respectful of the decisions others make as to where their meals come from, I would only hope for a little of the same. If I were to have a vegan for dinner, I would certainly ask for what they would prefer and fix that as well.

We always roast our turkey, breast side down, with celery, carrot, and a stick of butter stuffed inside. Sounds strange, but the breast is sooo tender and juicy. I make homemade egg noodles and use a little turkey and broth for a soup....its very popular in our family!

jvr 8 years, 5 months ago

wereallmonkeys

i totally agree! i had my first fried turkey two years ago and ever since then any oven roasted (even my moms), or smoked turkeys are no comparison for the deep fried turkey. They are so juicy that even those who hate white meat because of the dryness would be converted! We are frying 6 of them this afternoon for our pre-thanksgiving party and then another 4 tomorrow for the family party! I can't wait.

wonderhorse 8 years, 5 months ago

OMB--Where do you get the buffalo?

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Where is Mr. Lecter today? BTW, I'd never seen a wild turkey in the woods before I moved to MO back in the 1980's. Now, the country out toward Perry is lousy with the critters!

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Turkey Facts and Figures:

In 2004, 264 million turkeys were raised. It is estimated 46 million were eaten at Thanksgiving, 22 million at Christmas and 19 million at Easter.

A turkey has about 70 percent white meat and 30 percent dark meat. White meat has fewer calories and less fat than dark meat.

Turkey consumption has doubled over the past 25 years. Per capita turkey consumption was 17.1 pounds in 2004.

When Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin sat down to eat their first meal on the moon, their foil packets contained roasted turkey and all the trimmings.

John Spencer 8 years, 5 months ago

Deep Fryed! Once you go deep, you never go back. I like to inject different spices into each breast, having a hot side and a non-hot side.

blue73harley 8 years, 5 months ago

TOB - another "brown liquor" recommendation to help wash that gravy down - Virgin brand bourbon made in Kentucky is pretty good stuff and inexpensive, too. I'd say it about as smooth as JD but it is 101 proof so be careful when you light that cigar. Texas Jacks carries it.

feeble 8 years, 5 months ago

What is the best way to cook a turkey?

Without H5N1 infected meat.

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 5 months ago

The absolute best turkey I ever made was per a recipe from the "Good Eats" show on Food network. You make a brine of salt, herbs & spices, and broth and soak the turkey in it overnight, then roast. The brine gives the meat a bit of flavor and the salt makes it retain water so it doesn't dry out. Mmm, mmm. Takes some prep time but well worth it!

Centrist 8 years, 5 months ago

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when turkey is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out.

Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED TURKEY 16-27 lb. Turkey 1 cup melted butter 1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.) 1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's butt blows the oven door open and the turkey flies across the room, it's done.

And you thought I couldn't cook.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Informed - It's been my experience that Brown Liquor is the most popular choice. I've seen red and white wine, vodka, and gin, but at the end of the night it's the Yukon Jack, Kentucky Slaver, and Old Grandad bottles that are empty.

Norma Jeane Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

I plan on brining my turkey before roasting. Yum! And moist!

My biggest decision is what wine to serve. Red or white? I prefer white, but have seen several Thanksgiving tables set with red. Oh, heck! I'll just have both!

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Actually, I'm going to be making chili. Went & got some fresh ground buffalo last night. Probably will make the chili tonight & let it sit in the fridge overnight to age.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Mixture of EM's and Harley's method. Basically, I do the drinking and the women-folk do the cooking of the turkey. Call it sexist or whatever but imagine the tragedy of the day if the roles were reversed. I do help in other ways, "Stir the gravy." "Put the rolls in the oven." "Go see if your brother is wandering in traffic again."

Marion Lynn 8 years, 5 months ago

Beatrice wrote:

Posted by beatrice (anonymous) on November 23, 2005 at 8:12 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Marion, I thought for sure you would have said:

"Hey, it is my turkey.

I bought it, and I should be allowed to COOK IT ANYWAY I WANT.

Even it that means to SMOKE it!"

(just kidding)"

Oh, Bea, that is too funny!

I needed a laugh as when I went for coffee the kitchn floor was all wet due to a leaking sink so it's off to the lumber yard for me!

What I'm about to write will read silly but I don't smoke meats due to the high levels nitrosamines and carcinogens which are created in the process.

Esophogeal cancer result from a regular intake of smoked meats as studies in Japan have shown.

They eat lots of smoked fish there and drop like flies.

Oh, well, off to find my plumber's hat!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Thanks.

Marion.

jonas 8 years, 5 months ago

Through a lifetime of trial and error, I have found that it is helpful to take the feathers and the beak off first.

sharron5rs 8 years, 5 months ago

Rinse and pat dry the turkey, Use alot of BUTTER. sepatate the skin from the breast meat and put sliced up butter in the space made. Salt and peper. Put in a deep roasting pan with a little chicken broth. Cover and cook slowly until done. We have mashed patatoes,gravy, greenbeans,corn,cornbread dressing, sweet patatoes cooked two ways, one mashed with marshmallows on top, the other, candied. Hot rolls, and your choice of pumpkin, apple, or pecan pie for desert. Lots of love and laughter to go around. Everyone have a GREAT Thanksgiving.

cutny 8 years, 5 months ago

You know, I have to say that I had frozen pizzas for about four Thanksgivings in a row. I'd be interested in seeing a poll about the other popular meals people make for themselves on Thanksgiving. I get the feeling frozen pizza wouldn't be too down on the list.

Ok snarkers, start your engines and let's hear those sh*tty comments.

Happy Thanksgiving

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I was doubtful about the whole deep-fried turkey business until I actually tried some. Mmmm, mmm good. For those interested in alternatives: http://www.eathufu.com/home.asp SFW, but sort of gruesome. It may be a hoax, read at your own peril.

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

well said GEB!

i luvvvv deep fried turkey...but will be roasting da'bird nice&slowwww. with all the trimmings of course.

Happy Thanksgiving to ya's all!

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

Marion, I thought for sure you would have said:

"Hey, it is my turkey.

I bought it, and I should be allowed to COOK IT ANYWAY I WANT.

Even it that means to SMOKE it!"

(just kidding)

Marion Lynn 8 years, 5 months ago

I stuff the bird with carrots, onions, celery, a tiny bit of salt, lots of pepper, wrap in in tinfoil, butter up the outside and let it cook 'til it's done.

No prepared salts or seasonings.

Oh, I leave the heart and liver inside but give the gizzard to whichever dog is first up for a treat.

Use the neck for simmering in the gravy.

Mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, a veggie or two, sourdough bread with butter and honey, a cheese and cracker plate, none of those traditional cranberry things as cranberries are poisonous!(;)!), maybe white wine, dressing if I have time to scratch it but no boxed stuff and a few friends there to chow.

Pretty plain but it works and there are never any complaints.

Thanks.

Marion.

italianprincess 8 years, 5 months ago

EM,

To funny to wake up this morning. I haven't seen that recipe since last year. I got an email with that included and laughed until my stomach hurt.

We are having our little turkey feast here at my daycare today. We will be having the traditional menu with all the fixins of course.

Lulu.......I do have a little vegetarian boy here who can have only certain things. Not completely vegan, but vegetarian. I will be making everything included in a traditional Thanksgiving feast with something special for him to enjoy also instead of turkey. His mom is awesome when it comes to helping too. Shes going to bring in tofurky for him to eat today and of course he can everything else as long as it doens't include any animal product in it.

My daycare parents are great when it comes to helping out with our holiday festivities. They bring in what I ask and the day turns out to be fantastic. With everyone helping out its terrific and its to fun watching the children walk in with what they are bringing for our feast. They are so excited and have the biggest smiles on their faces. Children are arriving now so I have to go.

Have a wonderful day everyone and drive careful if you are traveling today.

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

Hey GreenEyesBlue, I think you were a bit harsh for early in the morning. I mean really, saying that Lulu needs to sit at the kids table to be with the like minded, that is mean spirited. Besides, what did those kids ever do to you for you to compare them to Lulu! I think you owe the kids an apology. : )

Tofurky -- is that for real, does anyone know? Like meatless meatloaf, what is the point? If it is tofu, call it tofu, but don't turn it into some meat-sounding name. yuck.

Basting keeps the turkey nice and juicy. Key is to not overcook it.

e_m: with all that whiskey, be sure not to cook over an open flame.

Have a great Thanksgiving day everyone!

craigers 8 years, 5 months ago

I think the best flavored turkey that I ever ate was fried. It sealed all of the juices inside and was a little crispy on the outside. MMMMMM

Happy Thanksgiving everybody and be safe traveling. My guess is that the gym will be packed next Monday.

Gootsie 8 years, 5 months ago

I will be thankful if this doesn't turn into a carnivore-herbivore board today. In case it does, I'd better post now!

I paint my turkey with butter-flavored Crisco, then saturate it with lemon pepper and then roast it. It is darn good. But the pies, stuffing, home-grown green beans, all make it go from wonderful to REALLY wonderful!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you turkeys!

rooga 8 years, 5 months ago

Cant tell you how to cook a turkey but Im good at cooking frozen Pizzas. I'll be having that! 4th year in a row now! Hope everyone enjoys their turkeys!

blue73harley 8 years, 5 months ago

What has always worked for me is to have my wife cook it. I really don't know what she does but it works out pretty good and leave me time to drink more whiskey.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Step 9: Turk the bastey

Step 10: Whiskey another bottle of get

Step 11: Stick a turkey in the thermometer

Step 12: Glass yourself a pour of whiskey

Step 13: Bake the whiskey for 4 hours

Step 14: Take the oven out of the turkey

Step 15: Take the oven out of the turkey!!!

Step 16: Floor the turkey up off the pick

Step 17: Turk the carvey

Step 18: Get yourself another scottle of botch

Step 19: Tet the sable and pour yourself a glass of turkey

Step 20: Bless the saying, eat and pass out!

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 5 months ago

Why is everyone frying turkeys in peanut oil? Gross!

We always roasted the turkey. And by we, I mean Dad. [Nobody else was allowed to touch "the bird", as he called it.]

Lulu, gross. Tofurkey? If you were at my dinner, I'd make you take that sh*t to the kiddies' table. If you're gonna whine and pee in everyone else's stuffing, you might as well do it while dining among like-minded companions.

I, too, am of a progressive [dare I use the L-word] mindset. I don't, however, take lightly to one defiling the wondrous tradition of overeating among friends and family once a year. Food has a very unique and magical habit of bringing people together, so I'm going to make sure it's delicious and not soy-based, cruelty-free, or in any other way "touched by an angel" of PETA. Bring smiles to the table, not guilt and resentment!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! XOXO GEB

Lulu 8 years, 5 months ago

You mean anyone who happens to be a person of vegan quality is not included in today's question? There are plenty of vegans in Lawrence, and the question should also apply to us. What is the best way to cook for consumption, a beautifully life filled creature raised on carcinogenic growth hormones killed by decapitation or electronical probe?

This Thanksgiving should be a Progressive Thanksgiving dedicated to the countless animals slaughtered for the greed and over-population of humanity.

What is the best way to cook Tofurky? should've been the question.

I love Thanksgiving. The sweet smells of cranberry jelly, mouth-watering vegan pumpkin pie, and savory vegan Tofurky. Enjoy delicious animal-friendly food with fun people and thank your mythical neocon ghost in the sky that it isn't a just baked you lying on the table for fat humans to stabbeth.

ilkeeze 8 years, 5 months ago