Previous   Next

Are you surprised the Vatican has deemed intelligent design to be an unscientific theory?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 19, 2005

Browse the archives

“That does surprise me. I would think that as a religious entity they would support it.”

“Not really. Given Pope John Paul II’s previous position on creationism, it’s not surprising that they’ve come to this conclusion.”

“No, it doesn’t surprise me. I don’t see that they have any scientific research to support that it is a scientific theory.”

“Actually, I was surprised, because the church has supported the blending of science and religion in the past.”

Related story

Comments

Sigmund 8 years, 10 months ago

Now that the Catholic Church doesn't support intelligent design, I can see thousands of Darwinist begin to reconsider their position.

Deb Trybom 8 years, 10 months ago

Honestly, I'm not surprised by anything the Vatican does. In my opinion the only way the intelligent design theory could be considered scientific is if "scientific" applied to a philosophical theory. I know, I know philosophy is science, haha!

One more thought... Whoo hoo! I'm first!

audvisartist 8 years, 10 months ago

The Roman Catholic Church takes a contextual approach to interpreting the Bible whereas those that support intelligent design are coming from a more literalist Biblical view of creation. It's not surprising that the Catholic Church would deem intelligent design as an unscientific theory because they know when science and religion diverge. They've had 2,000 years of trial and error to work on that!

Bob Reinsch 8 years, 10 months ago

bthom37 8 years, 10 months ago

Not at all surprised, really.

Janet Lowther 8 years, 10 months ago

The Roman church has never supported a literal interpretation of the Bible.

Intelligent Design, as I understand it, denys God the ability to use natural processes for his purposes.

thunderbuns 8 years, 10 months ago

Napolean:

You have too much time on your hands my little chum!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 10 months ago

Stephanie got married! Way to go girl!

Purell 8 years, 10 months ago

Surprised? It was issued by a Jesuit astronomer. Jesuits are some of the most worldly and intelligent Catholic priests.

Ceallach,

I hope your visitor made it to the KU b-ball game last night. That is the essence of Lawrence.

How about the Harvard roundabout tour with a jaunt North toward folks road to see how our fine traffic planners can embarrass us all.

Chicen soft tacos at Chipotle Sushi at Wa Trip to the plaza; too bad the lights aren't on yet.

wondering 8 years, 10 months ago

Wondering why the pope feels it necessary to speak on the teaching of intelligent design at all.

However, as a Kansan, I find it embarrassing and incredible that this concept is to be taught as science in our schools.

Certainly evolution has been demonstrated as a scientific theorem in several areas and should included in basic education.

Why or how the world occurred, whether by a big bang or intelligent design or the 6 days of creation is not scientific in any way. The philosophical/religious implications of any of these theories should be dealth with in other venues. For children, this means at home.

Chris Bohling 8 years, 10 months ago

Not surprisingly, Steve Abrams went to K-State.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

We didn't make it to the Harvard roundabout, but we did the 19th & Harvard and the Clinton Parkway monster. She's been fed in style -- Wheatfields, Panera's, Miltons, Perkins and Chili's!!! Needless to say, I don't cook much!!!

If you want to meet ms_canada come to La Prima Tazza, Monday at 11:00 a.m. and look for the Canadian flag :):) btw, she ain't buyin :P

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Ceallach, glad Ms_C is being taken well care of!

Me & Hubby took girls to a movie today and little one came out burning up w/ a fever (funny how they can be fine one minute and not the next...). Anyway, Hubby and I traded car for truck and a good thing 'cause my other daughter and I got rearended on the way home. Totaled the poor car behind us but nobody was hurt (thank God) and not a scratch on the big 'ol truck!

So, take heed: it's a bit slippery out there. (There was already an accident at the same place I got hit.) Be careful! I'm off to bed with a nice muscle relaxant! Night all!

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

omb: If you leave now you could be here by 11 on Monday morning, right? With the price of gas being what it is, you could probably get your coffee paid :)

ms_canada loves Lawrence but was surpised though, the city is much bigger than she thought (so in this case it was not As Big As You Think :) She is a delightful lady and a gracious guest.

btw, we will be at La Prima Tazza, just look for a couple of "mature" ladies having a great time :-)

Manana