Previous   Next

Are you surprised the Vatican has deemed intelligent design to be an unscientific theory?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 19, 2005

Browse the archives

“That does surprise me. I would think that as a religious entity they would support it.”

“Not really. Given Pope John Paul II’s previous position on creationism, it’s not surprising that they’ve come to this conclusion.”

“No, it doesn’t surprise me. I don’t see that they have any scientific research to support that it is a scientific theory.”

“Actually, I was surprised, because the church has supported the blending of science and religion in the past.”

Related story

Comments

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

omb: If you leave now you could be here by 11 on Monday morning, right? With the price of gas being what it is, you could probably get your coffee paid :)

ms_canada loves Lawrence but was surpised though, the city is much bigger than she thought (so in this case it was not As Big As You Think :) She is a delightful lady and a gracious guest.

btw, we will be at La Prima Tazza, just look for a couple of "mature" ladies having a great time :-)

Manana

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

s_s, glad to hear you guys are okay. Be safe out there.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

Ceallach, glad Ms_C is being taken well care of!

Me & Hubby took girls to a movie today and little one came out burning up w/ a fever (funny how they can be fine one minute and not the next...). Anyway, Hubby and I traded car for truck and a good thing 'cause my other daughter and I got rearended on the way home. Totaled the poor car behind us but nobody was hurt (thank God) and not a scratch on the big 'ol truck!

So, take heed: it's a bit slippery out there. (There was already an accident at the same place I got hit.) Be careful! I'm off to bed with a nice muscle relaxant! Night all!

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

We didn't make it to the Harvard roundabout, but we did the 19th & Harvard and the Clinton Parkway monster. She's been fed in style -- Wheatfields, Panera's, Miltons, Perkins and Chili's!!! Needless to say, I don't cook much!!!

If you want to meet ms_canada come to La Prima Tazza, Monday at 11:00 a.m. and look for the Canadian flag :):) btw, she ain't buyin :P

Arschloch 8 years, 5 months ago

Just before the hitman finishes off the BOE, I hope he repeats something to them like Carrie Fisher said to John Belushi in The Blues Brothers. "For the good of the peope in Kansas, for the kids in the school, for the embarrassment you've caused and because it's the right thing to do, I must now kill you."

That's what I would call Natural selection.

Chris Bohling 8 years, 5 months ago

Not surprisingly, Steve Abrams went to K-State.

wondering 8 years, 5 months ago

Wondering why the pope feels it necessary to speak on the teaching of intelligent design at all.

However, as a Kansan, I find it embarrassing and incredible that this concept is to be taught as science in our schools.

Certainly evolution has been demonstrated as a scientific theorem in several areas and should included in basic education.

Why or how the world occurred, whether by a big bang or intelligent design or the 6 days of creation is not scientific in any way. The philosophical/religious implications of any of these theories should be dealth with in other venues. For children, this means at home.

Purell 8 years, 5 months ago

Surprised? It was issued by a Jesuit astronomer. Jesuits are some of the most worldly and intelligent Catholic priests.

Ceallach,

I hope your visitor made it to the KU b-ball game last night. That is the essence of Lawrence.

How about the Harvard roundabout tour with a jaunt North toward folks road to see how our fine traffic planners can embarrass us all.

Chicen soft tacos at Chipotle Sushi at Wa Trip to the plaza; too bad the lights aren't on yet.

Gootsie 8 years, 5 months ago

Stephanie got married! Way to go girl!

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

Napolean:

You have too much time on your hands my little chum!

boogeyman 8 years, 5 months ago

Last time I got a haircut, I picked up the April issue of Sports Illustrated and I found myself thinking, "Thank you God." At that moment, I being a person who believes in scientific theory, believed in Intelligent design. Maybe that's the approach that should be taught in school. Personally, if Heidi Klum were to come to my classromm, I would think of that as a Holy gift.

Napoleon_Dynomite 8 years, 5 months ago

Surprised? No, why just the other day I was at the Vatican and the Pope and I were talking about what he did as a member of the Hitler youth and drinking some of that famous wine he has in the cellar. After a few goblets he asked if I could do some paint touch-ups on the ceiling in the Sisteen Chapel. I told him I was better with watercolors, but I'd give it a shot. So I added some captions like, "Pull my finger" to The Creation. It was really funny and the the pope was laughing so hard that I thought he was going to puke. But then he started snorting and burped some wine through his nose - ruined his robe. He was gonna take it off, but his Holy boxers were in the laundry. He has the best sense of humor.

Anyway, what he said was, yeah he feels obligated to put out these edicts that follow the standard guidelines, but everyone should keep it in perspective and lighten up. We don't want to end up fighting ourselves like the Muslims and then start killing everybody. He said he had enough of that as a youth and added, "Been there, done that." What a great guy. Before I left, he gave me a St Christopher medal that he personally blessed. I'm wearing it right now. Did I mention I'm not even Catholic?

Just since we had the time, I asked the Pope what he thought about some other issues, roundabouts, full moons and some other stuff. He said he HATES roundabouts (and he said believe it or not that God hates roundabouts too). He said that when he's riding in the back of the Pope-mobile, he about falls over everytime they hit a roundbout. He said that the full moon theory is bull, that he only believes things that have a scientific basis. Then he realized what he said and asked me not tell. I said, "I won't promise, but no one will believe me anyway do don't worry about it." Before I left I asked him if he had any regrets and he said, "Yeah, I wish we (Deutschland) would have been able to hold on to France. I told him I agreed. Neither one of us cares for the French people and if they were speaking German right now, we'd all be happier.

I hope that answers the question

jrlii 8 years, 5 months ago

The Roman church has never supported a literal interpretation of the Bible.

Intelligent Design, as I understand it, denys God the ability to use natural processes for his purposes.

bthom37 8 years, 5 months ago

Not at all surprised, really.

bennyoates 8 years, 5 months ago

Not at all. Not only is "intelligent design" a politically correct, Orwellian euphemism for Christian creationism, its Christianity is of an Evangelical Protestant variety, i.e., part of the propaganda that's been ruining this country since the founding of the Moral Majority (sic) in the 1970s.

Based on what I've witnessed recently, ID is a key part of a larger plan simply to do away with public education, or at least to compromise and damage public education so much that charter and private schooling will be dominant. Most Republicans are quite candid in their hostility to public education, and to public resources that make for a more democratic (small "d"), egalitarian society.

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

If Moses himself walked up to Abrams & said, "ID is a crock", I don't think that would shake Abrams faith in ID.

Bob Reinsch 8 years, 5 months ago

audvisartist 8 years, 5 months ago

The Roman Catholic Church takes a contextual approach to interpreting the Bible whereas those that support intelligent design are coming from a more literalist Biblical view of creation. It's not surprising that the Catholic Church would deem intelligent design as an unscientific theory because they know when science and religion diverge. They've had 2,000 years of trial and error to work on that!

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

Now that the Catholic Church doesn't support intelligent design, I can see thousands of Darwinist begin to reconsider their position.

Deb Trybom 8 years, 5 months ago

Honestly, I'm not surprised by anything the Vatican does. In my opinion the only way the intelligent design theory could be considered scientific is if "scientific" applied to a philosophical theory. I know, I know philosophy is science, haha!

One more thought... Whoo hoo! I'm first!