Previous   Next

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 14, 2005

Browse the archives

“Probably the cranberry sauce. The kind that comes out of the can with the little indentations on it. That’s my favorite.”

“I’d say it’s a tie between stuffing and green bean casserole. Stuffing is like a meaty bread pudding, but the casserole has the crunchy onions.”

“The ham. I don’t like to have too much turkey. Ham with some macaroni and cheese.”

“Mashed potatoes with a lot of butter and a little bit of cream mixed into it. No gravy.”

Comments

thunderbuns 9 years, 1 month ago

My favorite dish? That little white one with the red dots on it.

Til I broke it...........

DANG!!!!! That was a nice dish too!!

Jclarkson 9 years, 1 month ago

My favorite thanksgiving dish? It has to be potatoes...A big heap of mashed potatoes -FIRST POST- with gravy. You must drown the potatoes and the rest of your food in the gravy....

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 1 month ago

My favorite food on Thanksgiving: Baked yams covered in a blanket of toasted marshmallow cream.

Green Bean Casserole is raunchy.

redbird 9 years, 1 month ago

stuffing with smoked oysters and stuffing with a bit a spicy sausage or andioulle sausage in it,all with a smoked turkey!!!

thisiknow 9 years, 1 month ago

The cauiflower smothered in cheese sauce and the relish tray with all the choices of CRUNCH!!!

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 1 month ago

the big macs and super sized fries with a super size diet coke! YUM

rooga 9 years, 1 month ago

For the past 5 years for Thanksgiving dinner I've had frozen pizza, so Im gonna have to go with that!

sharron5rs 9 years, 1 month ago

I think my favorite is Thanksgiving eve. Leftover white meat- turkey,dressing,and green olive sandwich,with a big glass of milk.

killjoy 9 years, 1 month ago

I love stuffing...but I like cranberries too. Vivian dounds tasty as well. Anyone want to swap recipies?

neopolss 9 years, 1 month ago

Flying Monkey Chowder - excellant companion to Candied Yams.

trinity 9 years, 1 month ago

why are e_m's posts deleted?¿

geeeeesh, killjoys.

fave dish? the peanut butter pie i make for holidays. scrumptuous!

John Spencer 9 years, 1 month ago

The big oval one with the really glassy finish.

bankboy119 9 years, 1 month ago

Wow, half the posts are deleted. Nice E_M and boogey.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

well, aren't we just special this morning...six posts removed...is that a record here?

my fav: cornbread stuffing, baked in the turkey (yes, i know I am a chance-taker, always have been), stuffing made with very heavy garlic, sage, and some sliced waterchestnuts, besides usual cellery/onion etc.

next: homemade thick gravey made from a good roast like a ribeye roast, the roast having been roasted with a heavy crust of garlic, pepper, and other spices.

*to note: for the past hour and a half the ljworld site has been extremely slow or inaccessible...guess somebody outa town has linked to ljworld on their blog...you suppose it is the sewer story they're all reading???????

happy day all...will be back in a few hours. guess we're all in our tops and shirts today.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Trinity - what is your recipe for peanut butter pie? I LOVE those - peanut butter-flavored pudding in a crush with meringue. Yum Yum!

I would have to say that I'm everyone's favorite Thanksgiving dish, if I do say so myself!

Seriously, dressing. No oysters or giblets, though.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Hannibal_Lecter should be loving this OTS question!

nlf78 9 years, 1 month ago

Pumpkin Pie and my grandmothers mashed potatoes. I can't believe the number of deleted posts over a question as trivial as the favorite thanksgiving food.

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

My Nana's turkey was so moist and fell right off the bone. Shes gone now, so my mom has passed on the tradition of cooking the turkey like hers.

Looking forward to our Italian tradional Christmas dinner though next month. The soup takes forever to make, but I've got my my Nana's recipe right on the mark now. Lasagna and Italian chicken and other things also.

I can't wait until Thanksgiving weekend so I can decorate the house for Christmas. I may have to start early.......I'm getting so excited, its going to be a great one.

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

Apparently, innuendo, no matter how harmless, is now unnaceptable.

Gotta go with the turkey. The only thing tastier is. . . .

. . . . . BRAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

webmocker 9 years, 1 month ago

Candide Yams: The Best of All Possible Yams

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm getting to where I really just enjoy whatever is put in front of me. We have the usual turkey/stuffing/gravy traditions, but we've done rib roasts and hams as well.

We'll be going to LA for Thanksgiving this year. My brother is a stay-at-home dad and has turned into quite the cook. I fully expect him to completely throw down and just tear it up in the kitchen. He'll probably do a bird.

My mother makes the most incredible, and ugly, stuffing. It's really good (a cornbread stuffing), but the most disturbing off-grey color. You look at it and say "I'll eat a little... so as to not be rude", then you just keep eating it.

The wife has suggested making her dangerously good Chocolate-Pecan Pie. Reminds me of the Douglas County Pie they used to serve at Paradise Cafe (RIP).

beatrice 9 years, 1 month ago

Homemade tamales are my favorite (as long as they are made in someone else's home, as the prep can be quite messy)!

bearded: no, 5 removals is not the record. Every once in a while a certain someone (David, you know who you are) gets a little testy and the rejections happen in bunches. People even get removed completely, with all record of their having been around entirely erased. Oh the humanity! I'll bet you even money (wink, wink) that it happens again if a certain someone isn't careful.

e_m: Just for the fun of it (wink, wink) I was just thinking of other e_m names. I like "early morning," given your tendency to be first around here. Your thoughts?

bearded: back to you. So let me get this straight -- you wrote a poem this weekend about bob's, um, "sword" (not that there is anything wrong with that). ; ) ; ) nudge nudge, say no more.

neopolss 9 years, 1 month ago

omb, that was one of the best I have read yet!

There was something else about Thanksgiving meals -

It might be involving a roundabout, dog on a leash, water hosing a sidewalk, indoor cigerette, cell phone in a car, an entrance to 23rd, or pesticide in a park, but for the life of me I can't think of it.

thunderbuns 9 years, 1 month ago

BunE: "I like pie".

You know, that's a classic line from an MST3K movie:

"Time Chasers". Did you know that?

killjoy 9 years, 1 month ago

My wife's yams are the best! I'm drooling right now just thinking about them! Her pie is excellent too!

Usually, we set everything on a giant roundabout in the middle of the table.

ladysilk 9 years, 1 month ago

I am going to go with pecan pie and pumpkin pie (with fresh pumpkin not canned). I also like grits!

BunE 9 years, 1 month ago

I knew it was a movie quote but I did not know which. Thank you.

I also think that overly simplistic answers to questions are really funny:

"Do you think that your lack of time in the pool has put you or your partner in some sort of jeopardy for making the Olympics in 2006?"

"I don't swim"

hahahahahahahah

I saw something similar to that on SNL.

I like to fish

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Bea, yes I did...somebody had to, its a dirty job but just had to write a poem about Bob in his underwear and his sword...only a poem could express my feelings just porporly.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Gootsi: everybody's favorite dish...you get served with chocolate sauce or whipped cream?

pictures?

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Celery!! Despise?? Such a strong word for something as mild mannered as celery. I'm shocked! I've never met anyone who felt so strongly about celery -- guess I still haven't since we have not reeleee met:)

It is hard for me to pick one favorite dish so I'll say Dressing w/giblet gravy (lots of celery in the dressing:)

btw, you know who you are, although I enjoyed all of them, the ice sculptures were awesome! Thanks!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

again, this site has been extremely difficult to get into...must be all the monitoring going on [wonder if my last post will get the axe today?].

MST3K...there's a show I miss... Favorite MST3K movie...the stupid movie with the "hip nun" and all them boxes...but loved all of 'em.

I see New Jersey is doing a contest to come up with a new motto, has beeN: "New Jersey, the garden state."

Okay, let's use this collumn to suggest new motto suggestions for Lawrence...in fact what the heck is Lawrence's motto now? "motto, we don't need no stinkin' motto..."

1. Lawrence: Here today, and ban tomorrow.

2. Lawrence: caught in a roundabout kind of world.

3. Lawrence: as big as you want to be...oh that's sort of taken.

4. Lawrence: squats on the Kaw.

5. Lawrence: sewers are an underground conspiracy.

6. Lawrence: as bad as I wanna be.

7. Oh there's no place like Lawrence.

8. Lawrence: where's Quantrill when he's really needed?

9. Lawrence forgets the older neighborhoods and blathers about "new urbanism."

10. anything goes in Lawrence, except what we determine to ban.

thunderbuns 9 years, 1 month ago

Bearded_G:

I taped about 30 MST3Ks before it went off the air. Best show on the tube! I watch 'em over n' over and laugh til I puke! The one you referred to is called "Future War".

Tom Servo: "May I point out that THIS is NOT the future and there is NO war!"

BWABWAHHHHHHH!

Now that's comedy!!!

Lawrence motto:

"Sit up close and smell the excitement!"

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, good to be back! gnome, I looked back to see your poem about omb, that was cute. I couldn't help but wonder if those briefs were leather ?:)?

I too had problems connecting to the site earlier this afternoon. I see e_m was being his bad boy self this morning:) Although I think the problem may be that staff delegated the task of monitoring this board in the middle of the night are not thrilled about it and therefore rather quick on the "remove" trigger.

Token remark about topic: I also like cranberry sauce with walnuts and orange zest. (For leftovers try zesty cranberry sauce on a turkey sandwich, yummmm.)

raven 9 years, 1 month ago

I really like everything about Thanksgiving. But, my favorite is the stuffing. It has to be stovetop though, homemade stuffing is just nasty.

oldfashiongirl 9 years, 1 month ago

e.m. What you been saying to such a run-of-the-mill question that you get zapped off? I've tried for 5 hours to log onto this site, but just did.

I really have no favorites for Thanksgiving--I just love them all!! Homemade cornbread dressing and giblet gravy, refrigerated mashed potatoes, candied yams, boiled small onions, brussell sprouts, homemade rolls, cranberry-orange relish, Waldorf salad, spiced peaches, big glass of iced tea, sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie, relish tray of veggies with my curry dip.
I like turkey, but prefer my Mom's big fat hen she roasted and make dumplings from the stock.

Can't wait till next week as I will be visiting my daughter in Virginia.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

I wrote my top 10 list and it wouldn't let me post it. I'm too tired to type now.

Purell 9 years, 1 month ago

slogans

Slow down when you visit lawrence....not like you have a choice.

Lawrence: left turn...left turn...left turn....left turn...bump...bump...bump

Lawrence: Home of direct portals to hell.

Lawrence: Sister city to all former Axis powers.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Cealach, glad you liked the poem. now, we just need a video of OmB as superhero.

wow, Purell, that was funny! lets get some of them on lawrence license frames... ya' think.

cornbread stuffing is the only stuffing. yumm

oldfashionedgirl, you have a fine menu there!

thunderbuns: "the girl with the gold boots on!"

think am caught up with this one. for your information tomorrow the weather becomes really bad really fast and a "winter weather advisory" issued for counties north, northwest, and west of lawrence/douglas counties. blast of cold air...damned Canadians...keep your arctic cold all right!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

70 here...

so, today, we actually answered the ots question, revived interest in mystery science theater 3K, and identified something like 20 proposed new lawrence motto choices.

tip of the hat... 'night all.

gccs14r 9 years, 1 month ago

My dad's homemade oyster stuffing. The recipe was in his head and he's been dead for 10 years, so it's gone forever.

heretoday 9 years, 1 month ago

I am sorry to hear that gccs14r.
"I like Pizza" ----Multiplicity.

Thanksgiving.... I love Pecan Pie!!!!!!!!! Also homemade Mash Pots and I do love my Grandma's green bean casserole. I also love hot rolls with lots of butter and jelly. Bring it on!!!

This is my forth time trying to post today, I listed more before but this should suffice.

Question...can anyone suggest for removal and then automatically that comment is taken out?