Previous   Next

Do you feel more guilty about overeating after Halloween or at Thanksgiving?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on November 2, 2005

Browse the archives

“Thanksgiving, because Christmas is so soon after it. I know I’m just going to eat more, so I feel guilty.”

“I’d say Halloween, because I eat a lot more candy than I do food at Thanksgiving. I overeat at Thanksgiving too, but the food is better for you.”

“Probably during Thanksgiving. I don’t have any children at home, so I don’t have much candy around the house. It’s much easier to overeat when there is a lot of food on the table.”

“I’d say during Thanksgiving. I get sick of eating candy really quick. I’m not much of a sweets person.”

Comments

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, gnome. It was better today :) I'm also relieved that I don't have to figure out why the quarter remark was made. I let Jimbo irritate me last night and didn't want to leave the board that way two nights in a row :) I'd much rather have good humored exchanges with the "gang," even if I don't always agree with some of them. There are somethings that I have re-thought due to various posters explaining it from their perspective.

You and Mrs. Gnome take good care of each other. My husband died several years ago. My three children are either in Lawrence or nearby so we have good times together, and grandchildren are a total blessing.

All y'all have a good night.

Manana

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

Killjoy, that's why we've taken to coming up with our own questions!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

144 here, a dozen times a dozen...wow.

Mrs. Gnome was glad no tricker-treaters came by Ceallach, she gets almost all the mini butterfinger crunchbars. I eat 'one' only occasionally.

tonight's 6news reported the city will investigate, with hearings, where to put the new waste water treatment plant. they say it will be on the river south of Lawrence. now, I have this vision of all that sewage from northwest lawrence, plus w.lawrence, plus KU, north lawrence, all flowing EAST! WHERE i LIVE! now, I vote for a sewage treatment plant in northwest Lawrence!
Sic semper tyranus![latin: its always that way for sewage, sort of.]

good night Ceallach/maid of might. hope you had a good day at KU, I don't think the coin ref was to you.

killjoy 8 years, 5 months ago

What is the point of this column's existence? Who comes up with the questions? Someone's six-year-old?

Purell 8 years, 5 months ago

I never heard, how many blood-soaked roundabouts did they find Tuesday Morning?

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Just got home. Was that quarter remark for me?

Jane 8 years, 5 months ago

Wowzers, my point about being crucified and mocked was 100% on target! You 'regulars' are way too predictable. For the record, I've been reading OTS online for about five years, posting occasionally for about a year or so. Sorry if you got your panties in a bunch over my criticism of your whining. Nite nite.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Bea, you're a joy to be around!

That Mike dude aside ;)

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

It looks like someone has an early bedtime. Nightynight little metal head.

METALQ2 8 years, 5 months ago

Double ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

Mercy, yes, sweet mercy. Thanks for the reminder, Cea. I sometimes forget just how powerful Mighty Mike can be.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

The reference of "Who put a quarter in you?" is commonly understood as being dehumanizing--making a reference to a person being a jukebox.

Is there anything insightful you have to offer?

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

I have no idea what you are talking about even_money????

Aiko,

If you can't be civil with folks here simply go away.

What, did you just get email?

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Who put a quarter in you?

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Unbelievers always think it is funny --- at first!! Have mercy, Bea.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Beatrice, that was funny. I have to admit that.......way to go B

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

TOB: I just heard of the Google/failure/Bush thing last week. Thanks for the information -- I had no idea -- and thanks for letting me know that I'm about two years behind the times.

Aiko: I'm not nuts! And if you keep making claims like this you will discover the power I can conjure up with my home-based shrine to the almighty Michael Moore!

staff04 8 years, 5 months ago

Okay, now everyone say something nice about OTS.

I read the Washington Post online every day, and they seldom get more than 10 posts on any story. Here we are, well over 100 posts, many of which are both thought provoking and stimulating. I don't know of any where else I could find this.

Thanks, OTS.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Halloween Halloween every year, Halloween Halloween, have no fear. For if you do and shed a tear folks will think you are quite...

Better quit while I'm ahead :)

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Hey, the satisfaction is enough pay for me.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Hey Bob, what does something like that pay? lol

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I once went Mighty Ferguson Bombing.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Beatrice says: Speaking of conspiracy, type in "failure" on Google, and then hit the "I Feel Lucky" button. Is it a conspiracy, or just an accurate web-search? You decide.

I have decided that your nuts! This is an act that people can do called Googlebombing. It is what it is...People playing around with computers probably big fans of Michael Moore!

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

So THAT'S where the WMD went off to--Google ate them!

Gootsie 8 years, 5 months ago

"That Extreme Makeover was a champ. A heck of a guy. Nothing like this loser Even Money" - love it!

Maybe next time e_m will morph into extraordinarily_macho?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

always suspiscious of Google's "I feel lucky" button, so avoid it like anarchists

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

116 or something here...darn and just because somebody asked what we had for breakfast and somebody else mentioned gravy...

the "hang by your thumbs" is an old radio reference, Bob and Ray.

carrots in mashed potatos, cut up one carrot, after peeling, add to water to boil with four or five spuds which I just leave whole and unpeeled, only washed of course. potato peel is very good for you.

especially like the Yukon gold spuds better taste and cooking.

I too love to put the mushrooms in that gravy, YEAH! that rocks.

so, will this collumn hit #200 by midnight?

it is a beautiful day in lawrence today, just a little windy, both on and off the computer.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Bea ... On the failure angle... technically, yes, that is what comes up. Here's why...

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

badger: sure, and you probably don't believe Soylent Green is people, either. Some people just refuse to accept the truth.

Actually, the conspiracy theory is not intended to be taken too seriously. It is somewhat interesting, however, that during the past week -- clearly an awful week for the President -- we got nothing but softball questions. If this continues to happen, perhaps we should look at the political leanings of the LJWorld. Where are the tough questions?

canyon_wren 8 years, 5 months ago

Great comments, Badger. I dare say none of us is so original in our thinking that we have anything revolutionary to offer that would pose a threat--real or imagined--to those responsible for this column or the reputation of the paper in general. It is often simply a matter of each poster spouting what his/her particular "idol" of the moment is saying--which is harmless enough and doesn't really justify either the attacks or the defense from other posters.

As far as whether the LJW is conservative or liberal, I don't read the editorials, so can't comment on Dolph Simons' views or others represented there. Living in Utah, it seems to me that the LJW is relatively moderate, if not liberal, in comparison to what's available out here!

I am glad that we seem to be getting away from making fun of the day's four respondents to the questions posed by OTS--especially with regard to their appearance. That seems unnecessarily unkind.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

That Extreme Makeover was a champ. A heck of a guy. Nothing like this loser Even Money.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Can you imagine Larson conjuring up a 'trap door' Dolph?

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

"If you can't be fair, at least be arbitrary."

allateup 8 years, 5 months ago

Merrill......one could only hope your parents made you trade your halloween candy for a trip to the MERC!

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Badger, good point. For a while, some posters were in the habit of making snide remarks about the people shown in OTS. I'm glad that seems to have ended.

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

Uh, this will come out snarkier than it is intended, but I see this mentality often and have to ask the question:

To those of you who think that the LJW is 'silencing' you, trying to 'separate' you, engaged in a vast right-wing conspiracy to keep you from discussing political issues, or deliberately lobbing softball questions in a failed effort to keep the tone and discussion here from getting into 'forbidden' topics that they or their corporate masters want to keep hushed up, I have to say, "Whatever gave you the idea that the products of your mind were so dangerous as to merit that sort of effort?"

Frankly, most of the people who loudly proclaim that 'someone' is trying to keep them from noticing, speaking about, or educating others about some issue or idea generally aren't doing or saying anything particularly revolutionary, threatening, or even new. They're also rarely actually doing anything with those ideas.

Most of the things written here are interesting and generally well-written, but no one is exactly boldly going where no man has gone before, my friends. The three or four folks whining about being silenced should check out some of the other boards on the web, places where you get deleted just for posting facts that contradict the board owner's pet political theories, if he can't tear them down or refute them.

Personally, I wonder if the 'On the Street' questions haven't been softening up because people are reluctant, in these heated times, to have their pictures put up next to what could be a controversial political opinion, where their neighbors or employers can see it. I've seen the OTS reporter get turned down because someone didn't want her picture attached to her opinion on the Presidential election. Perhaps they were just having a difficult time getting people willing to answer the 'meaty' questions you want, is all.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Drink, damn it!!! It tastes so good.

And so forth.

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

TOB: You can lead me to the obvious, but you can't make me drink.

Just having fun with words, Bob, just having fun.

bankboy119 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah I know I don't know what was going on. I had a whole post written too, oh well so much for something smart I don't feel like writing anymore.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

What was Ted's name again?

ROTFL

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Woo hoo! Back in business. (insert whimsical something)

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

This is a test, I've been trying to post for the last hour & keep getting bounced off.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Excuse me, Bea. Let me rephrase... "Until your post, I have never heard of anyone complaing that the LJ World is a conservative newspaper." I didn't know that I had to lead you to the obvious.

And if I'm not mistaken, been awhile, the LJW's support of Bush hinged more on how much of a fraud and loser Kerry was. I don't remember a ringing endorsement. Anyhow, I didn't like Bush. Didn't like Kerry.

Interesting theory, eustacy.

Another one is a long-held belief by a few of us on the board and that is we are part of some sort of sociology research at KU. Election time last year they could ask any question and it would result in Bush vs Kerry. This past Summer, legit questions would be asked and violence, name calling, and mischief would occur. Now, they ask these softball questions and we all generally love each other, no name calling, and much more of a jokey atmosphere. I suspect soon the OTS questions will make a huge shift and they'll be asking us questions in relation to the Arts and Entertainment articles and then they'll just lose most of us.

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

e_m: "Now LJW wants us 'scattered.'" It is all part of the right-wing conspiracy to stop us from discussing real topics, I tell you.

TOB: "I have never heard of anyone complaing that the LJ World is a conservative newspaper." Since I just did tell you, you can't rightful make that statement, now can you. The LJWorld is conservative -- do you not read the editorials by the owner/editor? Conservative and right wing -- hence the editor using his public forum to express support for Bush for the last couple of elections.

fangorn: Glad to see you back. I agree that Bush is within his right to pick a conservative judge. I've claimed the same thing here in the past, and since he was actually voted into office this past time he is even obligated to the voters to choose a supreme court nominee who leans to the right. How far to the right, however, should be the topic of our discussion, as far as I'm concerned. After all, the win wasn't exactly a landslide. And yes, Ted "What if I get pregnant? Don't worry, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" Kennedy's head will explode, no matter who is selected.

l_eustacy 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Jane has been picking the questions?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 5 months ago

e_m, Glad you corrected the Argo error. I was smacking my lips until I got to the baking soda and then I gagged!

staff, I had multigrain toast with homemade chevre for breakfast.

Guilt? These holidays were created to pig out. It's what they're for! Goodness! Who ever feels guilty on "gluttony free" days? As for an obese society...2 days a year won't make a difference. But I agree, we are all getting fat. (I need to lose a good 10 myself.)

Have you heard Hillary Clinton bashing on the pres. lately? I'm tellin ya'll...she's up to something.

killjoy 8 years, 5 months ago

I think what Jane is trying to say is that her mentality is on par with the caliber of questions here and she resents others questioning that level as being acceptable.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

avhjmlk 8 years, 5 months ago

e-m: congratulations on today's name pick. It made me smile!

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

avhjgreattipmlk, what a great suggestion! Wonders never cease what you can learn from this group.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Offtotheright. That is hilarious! True and hilarious. Ban All Fatso's! Just kidding but I would like to see these "fatsos" make some type of attempt at activity (impact or non-impact) and control your eating. I was a personal trainer for years so I know it can be done. No excuses!

staff04 8 years, 5 months ago

Funny reference, gnome.

Drugs: I have always sort of wondered why drug use isn't covered under some sort of "right to make our own medical decisions" type of ruling or law...I'm not saying I favor legalization (but I do think some of the punishments for possession don't fit the crime). It just strikes me as odd that the government doesn't manage any other parts of our lives like they do when it comes to our ingestion of controlled substances. They don't tell us what to eat or drink, we are legally allowed to smoke tobacco and ingest a number of other substances...

Fangorn-I think it is fair to criticize the President's nominee as being too conservative because the justice he is replacing was historically a swing vote. I don't think putting a justice on the bench that we can completely predict will rule in a conservative manner on every case is in the interest of the American people. He is clearly not mainstream, and while there is nothing wrong with holding conservative views, the majority of the country do not, and our courts, as with the other branches should reflect that.

avhjmlk 8 years, 5 months ago

Whoops! Forogt about the gravy.

e_m: sounds absolutely delish. The one suggestion I would make is that, after you have followed the "add milk to argo" directions, you should then slop a small amount of the hot broth mixture into the milk-argo mixture to bring the starch up to temperature. If you don't, you're still at risk for lumping.

avhjmlk 8 years, 5 months ago

We specifically limited the amount of trick-or-treating we did with our 18mo old because, since she can't eat most of the candy (not old enough for peanut chunks or whole gummy candies), there's no point in gathering up a bunch just so her bum parents (read: husband and self) get to eat it.

I generally overeat on Thanksgiving. I think it's a family tradition.

One year, actually, there was mutiny because we ran out of mashed potatoes WAY early (as in, short of anyone getting a second helping! ACK!)...Needless to say, that mistake has never been repeated.

On to the t-shirts: The t-shirts are not for one to proclaim one's own sexuality, but for anyone to proclaim social support for those who happen to be gay. So, I suppose, if the gay community wanted to show their support for straight folks, the shirt would say, "straight? fine by me."

And finally, Mr/Ms Editor: We've all heard in recent months that the LJ-W online has been lauded by those in the know. I would hazard a guess that part of the rave reviews could be attributed to things such as this comment board--free, uninhibited (unless indecent or inappropriate) community conversations of relevant or interesting topics. If you would fully read the comment boards after other articles, you will notice that they, too, often swerve away from the original topic. That is the nature of human conversation. If we were forced to continue discussing the same topic ad nauseum without having the freedom to follow a tangent, we would be stifling our own advancement.

offtotheright 8 years, 5 months ago

Site Editor....You too have lost it!

As for Halloween candy and people in Lawrence over eating, well, eh hem, just look around!

I would have to bet that 75% of college age girls are overweight fatsos!

75% of teens walking mass in the summer are overweight fatsos!

They should all skip halloween candy, thanksgiving dinner and snacking around Christmas time!

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

e_m: Your gravy sounds so good, I'm going to try it this year. I'll let you know how the fam responds - they can be real fuddy-duddies about changing their ways:) [I think they got that from their father smile but my grandchildren are more daring so we have a great time!] Argo Corn Starch is the best, I use it a lot.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

We ain't the "shut up and leave" kind!

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Serious problem with earlier post. Argo Corn Starch.

NOT BAKING SODA. My bad.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Aiko: I was just curious about the t-shirt reference made by Jane. There's only one t-shirt campaign that I know of on campus at this time. Only Jane can tell us for sure what she was talking about -- that is if she hasn't banned us all together. Oops, I don't want to use the b-word about OTS and give anyone ideas :)

QOTD: I seldom eat Halloween candy, I try not to overeat on "feast" days, but sometimes the pumpkin pie harasses me until I submit! As far as guilt, I can pretty much feel guilty about anything -- if I let myself. Many of my generation grew up at the shrine of perpetual guilt so it's pretty much second nature :) However, I believe I may be out-growing it. Was that bad of me to say? I'm sorry.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the information Original Bob! Good to know...

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

bg, thanks for the potatoes tip. I'm going to try your pinch of powder idea. (SHAME on you for thinking anything OTHER than baking powder!)

Now for the gravy. I'm of the opinion you can never have enough gravy at Thanksgiving. This is how I've done it for many many years: following the cooking bag instructions, I include chopped celery (tops included), a handfull of chopped onions (yello or white--whichever's cheaper) along with the tablespoon of flour. Secret ingredient here is sauteed fresh mushrooms (I slice 'em myself as that's also cheaper). Always keep sauteed mushrooms on hand, btw.

Turkey done and broth goes into four quart something or other with handles, mine is Revere. Add extra chicken stock or vegetable stock--whatever--and bring to a slow boil. While the stock is getting hot take that yello box of Argo Baking Soda and put maybe four tablespoons into a clean large cup. Tip in milk while stirring so to be sure the business doesn't get lumpy. Bring total volume up to about a cup of milk making sure to stir well and get the entire thing a consistent mixture. Just as soon as the stock rolls in the whatever pan, drench the whole affair with the Argo / milk mixture and plan on standing there at the burner for about five minutes all the while stirring furiously (not as furious as earlier) but fast enough with a wire whisp as this concoction turns into gravy.

Nothing else. No added salt. No added pepper. You can sneak in a beef bouillon cube or two early on if you want it more robust. No booze or anything like that--what, do you want to RUIN the gravy?

Pour enough for first round of serving into a gravy boat or some such, covering the remaining with a lid so it stays warm and doesn't dry out. There will be plenty remaining for second helpings and even for leftovers.

BUT this doesn't mean you have to gorge yourselves, folks :)

Gootsie 8 years, 5 months ago

WOW - I am late getting here. Probably a good thing!

I have no problem with posters being challenging; however, I do have a problem when they insist on being nasty and hateful. This is such a fun forum with lots and lots of very clever posters. We are not trying to solve problems and most of us know we can't change people's minds as an anonymous person.

Jane could have been much nicer and still gotten her (?) point across. Shut up and leave? OUCH! Good luck getting me to do either.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Utah is awesome. Moab, Mountains, Escalante, Bryce, Zion, Arches, not so big on SLC.

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

See, great minds DO think alike.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Isn't Utah simply in one huge roundabout? (seriously, Utah is a BEAUTIFUL state).

All roads lead to elsewhere ;)

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Canyon_wren, you also have Utah to look at. That is some compensation. There is some beautiful territory out that way.

Aiko -

Legal - No penalities for use.

Decriminalized - Penalties are not as bad. Like reducing fines/jail time etc...

No city/state can legalize pot. The Feds will bust them down in on time much like they did with the Oakland Medicinal Marijuana co-ops.

canyon_wren 8 years, 5 months ago

Apropos nothing--you guys think YOU have it rough--the Pump Patrol says $2.12 today--it's still $2.77/gal. here in SE Utah and we have much farther to drive. Of course, I realize negotiating those round-abouts does serious things to your mpgs!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

while I was posting my first post, the site editor posted; now I feel like when I was a kid, us bad country kids in the back of the school bus organized ourselves and started to rocking the bus; made the bus driver park and 'come back there!'

Mr. Site Editor, thanks for posting, I, and probably most of us, knew that OTS is a long-standing element in your print opion section.

we often post under particular stories, so we know about that option. however, the OTS can be a general discussion place, and a very good one online. why, without it, I'd have missed the significance of Kalila Dalton for example. seriously, I do appreciate your providing this, but couldn't you make the questions a little more stimulating? [note my suggestions above] and if you asked us Mr. Site Editor, we could provide lots of other very useful questions too.

Thanks for posting.

going now, back in a while.
"remember to hang by your thumbs!"

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

You betcha! Just like the one carrot?

BTW, site editor: you said, "every story posted on LJWorld.com has space for your comments and reactions as well."

I don't see space for comment under Dolph's 'editorials.'

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

What is the difference between decriminalized and making it legal? Pardon my ignorance but I am curious to know..????

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

Dear Site Editor:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Reader 8 years, 5 months ago

"Quilty" Or "Not Quilty", That Is The Question!
Neither, As For My Household Halloween "Is A Treat!" Fun For All. Thanksgiving? We're Just Going To Pray, That We'll Be Able To Afford A Nice Family Dinner At Home. Just Got My "New" Gas Bill. It Wasn't Very Pretty. With Nothing On But The Hot Water Heater, $12 From Last Month, Went Up To $36 This Month, (The Sign Of Things To Come) And That Didn't Include All The Other Fees. And It Really Hasn't Been Real Cold Yet! Maybe We'll Just Get A Roasting Hen, Dress It Up Like A Turkey And Enjoy! Not Trying To Be Sarcastic Or Anything Like That Today. Just Trying To Deal With The Pressures Of Everyday Living, Not On How Much Indulging We Do. Because We Can't. The Balancing Act, "What Ever Goes Up Doesn't Necessarly Mean's Something Comes Down!" Gas For The Car, Or Gas For The Home? "Turkey Or Chicken?" Alot Of Decisions To Be Made. And "Christmas",We'll Try To Deal With That When The Time Comes!

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Heh heh. Check out the "2" in the gnome post.

LOL

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

Enochville, thanks, you said it there!

Wren, I too love homemade gravy (starting with a good roast caked with pepper and garlic), and mashed potatos. I make mine with one carrot called "pink mashed potatos, add a pinch of baking powder to fluff them...yummm!

Answer the question you darned Gnome: ZZZZZZZZ2ZZZZZZZZZZ. on my diet, one mini butterfinger crunch bar feels like eating half a cake since I severely restrict sweets so just eat on thanksgiving the nonsweets with care.

now, some one asked about breakfast: mine scrambled eggs with ham and onions, tomato slices (almost every breakfast), strawberries, artificially sweetened lemonade; small yogart. i had big mug of extremely strong coffee earlier.

now, yes, the OTS questions are pretty weak but I certainly enjoy reading the posts on here!

I seriously doubt that this is part of a vast right wing conspiracy! that's one for the foil hat. just make sure that foil hat wasn't made by Halliburton.

I would wish for questions such as: what should america do to remember Rosa Parks? what can lawrence do to become truly more walkable? Does Lawrence have enough parks? what could lawrence do to improve traffic conditions? etc.

please have a good day y'all.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Whoa. Must of struck a nerve. Now LJW wants us 'scattered.'

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I think Mr. Site Editor's post is a sign that David Ryan has washed his hands of us. In any event, I will go post on the Warm and Breezy article.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 5 months ago

That is a very good point, I will certainly continue posting in other stories. (I'm glad you guys set that up a while back)

I do demand equal air-time for David Ryan though. As his top political strategist, I do demand we hear David Ryan's viewpoints on this matter, as well.

My candidate deserves an equitable format for his bid en route to Lawrence City Council! (If he chooses to run)

editor 8 years, 5 months ago

It should be remembered that "On the Street" is a long-standing feature of the print edition of the Journal-World that gets reproduced every day online.

The question posted online is a reproduction of the question asked for the print feature.

We'd respectfully remind our wonderful online readers that if you don't feel inspired by the print edition's On the Street question, every story posted on LJWorld.com has space for your comments and reactions as well. There are many, many options for your participation in addition to On the Street.

For a list of the most active story discussions on LJWorld.com:

To see all comments on stories on the site:

Jayhawk226 8 years, 5 months ago

Boy...don't all yell at once now!

Jayhawk226 8 years, 5 months ago

David Ryan for Lawrence City Council next election?!!?

Who's with me????????

The grassroots campaign starts here!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Dang J226 - You're are psychic.

Here's another potentional question...

Bird Flu. $7.1 Billion proposed by Bush to... to do what?

I don't get it. I understand the need to prepare, but is Halliburton contracted to do this or what? $7.1 Billion can be allocated for something that will probably not happen yet Cancer/Alzheimers/MS/etc... research fights for every measely penny it can squeeze out of the gov't.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

In reference to the shirts that are being discussed. I do not care one way or another but I feel I do not need to know someones sexual preference by the label on their shirt. I mean I would not wear a shirt that states "Wife, fine by me" or "Proud to be Straight". It just seems a bit odd for me..????

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

OB, the reason LJW is 'pithing' in the wind is they simply don't like our ilk and are desperately trying to be rid of us. They succeeded just this morning in driving off consumer1.

They closed down reader reaction for exactly that reason and now are attempting to stifle this forum as well. Plain and simple.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 5 months ago

Man, was I ever surprised.

How did such a stupid question generate 55+ posts by 9:38am????????

I'll have to scroll up and reread the posts. I'm assuming they are funny and possibly even ripping on David Ryan, in which case, I can understand.

And to answer...I don't feel guilty after Halloween or Thanksgiving "feasts."

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

Jane: Are the t-shirts you referenced, "fine by me?"

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

I agree with onehotmomma in that obesity is definitely a serious issue, especially for inhabitants of the US.

One or two days a year isn't going to change our regular eating habits, however.

That is, unless you want to go back to the 'serving steamed footwear' argument.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Bea - I have never heard of anyone complaing that the LJ World is a conservative newspaper. They have written about the topics you discussed. I wouldn't chalk up crappy OTS questions to a vast right wing media conspiracy. I do agree and respect that you have a theory though. I can't figure out why all the questions went soft.

Fangorn 8 years, 5 months ago

Aiko: Now Denver really can be the Mile "High" City!

Fangorn 8 years, 5 months ago

Beatrice: Please don't tell me you think Samuel Alito is any farther to the right than Ruth Bader-Ginsberg is to the left! Republicans were principled enough (I know, a rare occasion) to understand that, like it or not, Clinton won the election and had the right to appoint a qualified judge to the SCOTUS, regardless of her very left-wing views. Alito is very qualified. He'll be confirmed, and I'll pay good money for the video of Ted Kennedy's head exploding when it happens.

btw, I missed this place! Sparring about Supreme Court justices and debating the quality of the questions is much more interesting than post-holiday food-induced guilt.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I have no problem with legalizing Dope except that most stoners don't realize that the price of dope will increase many times over due to the gov't. controlling it. Be careful what you wish for.

Denver didn't legalize Mary Jane, they decriminalized it. I agree with that in any event.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

How about this for a topic of discussion: Legalizing Marijuana as did Denver, Colorado. Go Mile High City! How many of you would be for this law to pass in Lawrence?

happyone 8 years, 5 months ago

morning all, I have not posted in a while because of the lack of intelligent/thought provoking questions. It is obvious that OTS has decided that our friendly debates are just too intense. Yes, I too miss the days of 200+ posts. Many times I have posted here and was educated on the other side of the issue by the end of the day. I, like enoch and many others, wish they would bring back the "GOOD" questions. Now, as far as Jane goes, maybe she is Lulu's other half.

Oh and the question..... I never over eat so it doesn't bother me.

onehotmomma 8 years, 5 months ago

If you look at the question and then the fact the 1/3 of all children are overweight, not to mention how many adults are moving toward obesity, the question is really not fluff. The cost of obesity related illnesses will be hitting our insurance premiums and tax dollars in the very near future due to the fact that a vast majority of people don't "feel guilty" about overeating.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Millions of evacuees due to hurricanes and BTW, does your Great Aunt Zelda's bread pudding give you gastritis?

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

Guilt is for the weak.

As far as the lack of quality questions lately, I have a theory: It is happening at a time when our current administration is in serious trouble, people very close to the President are being indicted, Mr. Bush attempted to put his personal lawyer on the Supreme Court, Dick Cheney's friends at the gas companies are making excessive profits off of national disasters, the war in Iraq is in serious trouble, tax cuts continue to help the wealthiest people at a time when our national deficit is out of control, ...

So then, why does LJWorld ask insipid questions that have absolutely no relation to things that truly matter? It is obviously just another example of the rightfully-named "conservative media" refusing to ask serious questions of this administration. Remember, the LJWorld backed Bush in the past elections, and now they are trying to cover for him by not wanting us to think about what a disaster our President has proven to be.

Let us not discuss the new Extreme Court nominee who appears to want to legislate from the bench, or if Dick Cheney should be tried for treason for giving out the name of a CIA agent. No, lets talk about food, or your favorite color, or which type of grass you prefer to sit and watch grow.

Anything to avoid talking about the real issues at hand.

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

Besides, thunderbuns was here first!

thunderbuns 8 years, 5 months ago

Dear Jane:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

even_money 8 years, 5 months ago

There's just no substitute for boiled spotted dog.

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

Ban all spotted dogs in Lawrence!

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Dalmations! Those b@stard Romans beat up on a bunch of spotted dogs! I just can't believe it!

Fangorn 8 years, 5 months ago

OMB: Why stop at the Cathaginians? What about the Celts, the Picts, the Scots, the Dacians, the Dalmations, and the list goes on and on! I mean, I'm of direct Italian heritage, so there's real relevance for me here. All those centuries of compound interest-bearing collective cultural gulit. Oh, the horror! ;)

Aiko 8 years, 5 months ago

I am with you offtotheright, if anyone has the problem of eating too much candy the day after Holloween then you need professional mental help.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

Fanghorn... You should feel guilty about all the starving children!:) Anyhow, go back through the previous question links. These type of questions have become the norm. I believe David Ryan has had some sort of philosophical shift.

I agree with your 364 Theory. Why feel guilty about 1 or 2 or 3 gluttonous weekends if you eat right and exercise the rest of the time? People worry too much about non-issues regarding their health. Ok. That's as deep of a thought I could come up with for this question.

Fangorn 8 years, 5 months ago

Sure I overeat at Thanksgiving. But feel guilty about it? Why would I do that?! This is the one occasion each year when I really pile it on. I'm not going to feel bad about that when I've got 364 days of moderation to (more than) counterbalance it.

Regarding the caliber of the questions, I have been absent for a while so I haven't been witness to the alleged decline. However, I'd have to say the last two days' questions haven't exactly challenged and defined the moral and ethical fiber of our community. Questions like these serve as good "cooling off" periods between the more contentious discussions (remember our 200+ post days?) but shouldn't be the staple of this board. We come here to discuss and debate, to challenge and be challenged, to assert our values and opinions and to listen respectfully to the values and opinions of others. And perhaps, just perhaps, to have our values and opinions affected by the other posters. Today's question doesn't even approach the lower end of that theshold. I just can't see Bun-E or one of the Bobs standing up and saying "No, no, Fangorn, you should feel gulity. What about all those starving children in Africa?" Well...maybe I could see Lulu doing that, but I disgress.............

sweatpeagj 8 years, 5 months ago

I honestly believe if you do not like the question of the day do not respond. Wait for the day that they post one that interests you. I find it interesting that people are putting others down for their own opinions but I thought that this was the purpose. To allow ourselves to have an opinion that differs from others.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm with OTTR... is post-Halloween gluttony an issue for most folks?

I'm with the first 4 posters plus those that agreed later on... these questions blow. In defense of the angry Jane lady, I don't really recall her being around much so she probably doesn't realize that at one time legit questions were asked. I'm not sure why she chose to go all- David Ryan on the poor kids. Probably some sort of deep down childhood issues that only Consumer 1 and his infinite wisdom can cure.

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

i'll take the bait, staff-i had a bowl of yummy apple/raisin oatmeal&some orange juice; must compensate for all the halloween candy i strongarmed my grandbabies out of! :-p

oh and blueharley-lmao! ;-)

ps-y'all just make my day smiley!

one_more_bob 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm wracked with guilt over the fate of the heath hen. I bear my share of the collective guilt of Western Civilization on how the Romans treated the brave & beautiful people of Carthage. Now I've gotta feel guilty about Halloween & Thanksgiving? Oh yeah, consumer, watch out for that screen door.

staff04 8 years, 5 months ago

New question: What did you have for breakfast?

I'll start. Cheese omelette and a piece of wheat toast. Iced tea.

blue73harley 8 years, 5 months ago

What is even more outrageous than this OTS question is that they did not even look for ONE barista to answer it!

consumer1 8 years, 5 months ago

This is too funny!! You folks gripe that there is not enough depth in the questions, so one blogger, (jane) gives you a challenge, and all you do is whine and gripe I am outta here 4 ever. Good luck with your over eating and over indulging problems.

staff04 8 years, 5 months ago

Maybe we should petition Craigslist.org to start a board for Lawrence. If you want to see some really active ones, check out the "Rants and Raves" boards in NYC and San Francisco. They can get a little bawdy from time to time, but if we all jumped ship to there, then I wouldn't even have a reason to read the LJW. I sincerely doubt that most of us are here for news anyway...

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

guilt? who needs stinkin' guilt? i ate more than my fair share of halloween candy, and i'm quite sure that i'll equally enjoy the Thanksgiving&Christmas feasts. i fix 'em, i can eat 'em!

i'll slack off after Valentine's day, when the ol' comfy jeans start to really constrict-or i can't squeeze my fanny into 'em period.

and jane-geeeeez, did you get too many pieces of that black or orange wrapped candy in your punkin'? i'll share chocolate with ya! ;)

neopolss 8 years, 5 months ago

Off Topic: Jane, you are borderline trolling here, and I would stand behind enochville here with his very kindly worded post. If you would have actually read the post though, then you might see that your correction is not needed. Please have a cup of coffee and lighten up a bit.

On Topic: I don't feel guilty about either holiday.

bankboy119 8 years, 5 months ago

Okay because I was out reading and I still think KU is using false pretenses to increase its tuition I found a website with the most expensive and cheapest universities. I thought it would at least be worth your time to take a look at and realize Kansas has no reason to raise its tuition.

canyon_wren 8 years, 5 months ago

First, I agree with Jane that sometimes it seems like folks only want to gripe.

But I agree more wholeheartedly with a criticism of the quality of the questions. It seems like lately they are totally "duh!!" If they must pick questions from specific news stories, they surely can come up with something a little more thought-provoking. It doesn't have to be earth-shaking--just a chance to share the different views that are represented by the posters--without being a predictable polarized harangue--which is often what it becomes. But even THAT is better than trying to respond to these dumb questions--and we do often get some useful perspectives from those "at the poles."

Please, LJW, could you come up with some interesting questions?

As far as today's question is concerned, I'm not a candy eater, either, so TG is definitely my Waterloo, but it gets easier to go light as I get older. My favorite is (real) mashed potatoes and good gravy.

juscin3 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't over eat of candy. Only had one piece the whole day yesterday. As for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I don't over eat then either. I don't want to stuff myself and then feel miserable the rest of the time. I stop beofre its too late. As for the questions they ask, I don't mind answering them. I get some enjoyment of the funny posts that people put on this column. I do notice that the question gets asked in a different way.
Enjoy your day!

Jane 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for your support, you know who you are. Enochville: Correction: your opinion does not count any more or less than any other poster on this board, or any other board. Try the bloggosphere if you want your opinion validated. No takers on the "diversity" of Lawrence?

bankboy119 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah they really haven't been asking anything of importance. I'm not even going to answer the question because I'm tired of the crap questions. They're not even deserving of fluff. For a newspaper that prides itself on being so great, OTS sure is not helping it. The rest of the news is about Freestate, KU, or bashing the evolution debate and OTS actually provided a discussion on some different topics that mattered in not just Lawrence but sometimes the nation.

As for the first 4 posters, I agree

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I'll be back when there's a question that actually deserves some thought.

enochville 8 years, 5 months ago

Jane: I appreciate your view. I don't feel that the LJW "has" to give us a legitimate reason for what they do; I simply asked them if they would. I am not sure where your statement, "Maybe, just maybe, your opinion does not count as much as you'd like to think it does" is coming from. I didn't think I suggested that my opinion counts that much, or more than other posters.

It is my humble opinion that we had something special here. Most message boards either focus on one topic only (e.g., pregnancy, home schooling, etc) or they only attract idealogues of one type (moveon.org, the religious right). If one is looking for a message board where different topics are discussed by people with different views and life experiences, "On the Street" was a good one. They don't owe us anything, or have to cater to us, but the questions they chose to ask in the past attracted an online community (even from Canada and Texas), and now it hurts to see that go. But, if that is their decision, o.k. I'll move on.

Although they don't owe us anything, I would think that they would care for our feedback. They would not have created a message board if they didn't want people to use it. I know not everyone feels the way I do, but I do feel that it is alright for me to add the voicing of my concerns to those already shared. I don't think all the questions need to be profound. I don't mind diversity in the types of questions because not everyone wants a deep discussion. "On the Street" always had fluff questions, but they used to ask thoughtful questions from time to time as well. Although even then they had a knack for asking the same question in a different way again and again. Please bring back the thought-proking questions.

sharron5rs 8 years, 5 months ago

I enjoy this column. If it were gone , what would we grump about? I get my laughs for the day here. Please keep this column.

Thanksgiving through NewsYear. For me its nonstop eating.

offtotheright 8 years, 5 months ago

My dear Jane, it sounds like maybe you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Relax girl....

Richard Heckler 8 years, 5 months ago

What halloween candy? The answer is no because I have not indulged.

However our young daughter loves the halloween experience which is quite fun. The halloween candy is never consumed. Instead we bribe our daughter, as a method of strategy, to give up all that is who knows what's in that candy stuff. We allow her a brief shopping replacement spree and she came home with 3 pomegrantes,3 small containers of carob soy milk, 3 small pieces of organic chocolate and a bottle of carbonated fruit juice. Her choices which I believe are pretty amazing for a 9 year old.

Thanksgiving is a fine family time to indulge into the great wonders of food in addition to several walks during that period. Thanksgiving through christmas is a nice time of year.

No on halloween candy. No on thanksgiving eating...after all no one said it is a must to over indulge. There is so much food around why rush through it. Enjoy all,however you celebrate.

Jane 8 years, 5 months ago

enochville I usually enjoy reading your posts, this one though is self-centered. So what if you don't get a response, so what if you think the questions are fluff. Please tell me that you have the ability to look for thoughtful and meaningful discussions on the net..you found this one didn't you? BTW since when does a newspaper or any other private company have to give you a legitimate reason for what they do/don't do? Maybe, just maybe, your opinion does not count as much as you'd like to think it does.

As far as diversity in Lawrence--HA. If you mean that we are accepting of gays, I agree. But don't stray far from the accepted views of most people in this town. If one does express a view REALLY different from the masses here, they are crucified and mocked. Diversity my rear end. Get your t-shirt.

offtotheright 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't get it. Do people really overeat the day after Halloween?

enochville 8 years, 5 months ago

If it has become the policy of "On the Street" to never again ask a decent question, please let us know. If you have some legitimate reason, let's discuss it on the board. If anyone knows of another message board somewhere on the net that contains discussions where opinions and ideas really matter, please share.

I like the diversity in Lawrence. I think it is healthy and good for the community to have dialogues about important topics. Seeing things from another's point of view can keep people from becoming too close-minded. But, I and many others are sick of these fluff questions, and despite voicing our concerns with these questions, nothing has changed and we get no response.

To keep with policy, I'll respond to today's question: Thanksgiving because I consume more calories then. I don't pig out on candy.

lunacydetector 8 years, 5 months ago

i like candy and i like turkey. why feel guilty about anything?

Lawrence should ban candy. if you walked dowtown on halloween night, the air was THICK with smoke -worst than going into a bar by far. the unfortunate thing is the children with their little lungs breathing in the thick smelly air from the unfortunates condemned to the mini gated areas along mass. why can't they let these smokers go back inside with their ventilation systems and smoke eaters? that, or the city should install smoke eaters along the street - most will think the apparatusses are works of fine art.

there's nothing like seeing little spider man getting a piece of cheap candy from someone with a b*tt hanging out of their mouth. "there you go kid" hack, hack! "thanks mr. alcoholic smoker man." hack, hack!

take it inside.

Jane 8 years, 5 months ago

I never feel guilty, too full maybe, but not guilty. To the first four posters this morning, go read and comment somewhere else if you don't like the topics here. For the past month or so you all have been griping. Shut up or leave.