Previous   Next

What job would you least want to have?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 1, 2005

Browse the archives

“Probably an assembly line-type factory job, in terms of the repetitive task. I just don’t want to do the same thing over and over again.”

“A truck driver. You’re gone all the time, always away from your family. You always have to deal with traffic, eating truck stop food - and it’s really bad on your body and health.”

“Whoever’s job it is to scrape the gum, and whatever else, off of the bottom of the seats at the movie theater.”

“I was a rifleman in Vietnam. I don’t want to say that it was an entirely bad experience. I learned a lot about myself and other people, but I would definitely not want to do anything like that again.”

Related story

Comments

Jayhawk226 9 years, 1 month ago

Bomb Squad.

Is it the lowest ranking member or highest seniority member that gets that brave assignment?

Jayhawk226 9 years, 1 month ago

Gootsie--

What job would be worse...

...Toilet? Plunger?

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

The guy who comes up with these on the street questions.

junco_partner 9 years, 1 month ago

Head of missing persons bureau in China

gccs14r 9 years, 1 month ago

Any job in a corporate culture in which profit trumps consumer safety.

Aiko 9 years, 1 month ago

The President of the United States!

Topside 9 years, 1 month ago

Note to self: Don't make enemies with Bob Stephens!

I would say a migrant worker of some time. It is Hot, it is long, and your stooped over all day picking sugar beets or rutabegas. No thanks

average 9 years, 1 month ago

I distinctly don't have the character to be in the military, particularly not in combat. Definitely the worst for me.

But I'd take an hour of almost any physical labor over an hour spent in another pointless meeting.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

oh Jayhawk, good point. I'd say it is a tie.

Serious answer? Plumber. They earn their pay.

I have a bathroom theme going here, don't I?

Lib_ee12 9 years, 1 month ago

Retail. Catoring to people all day who are upset because I can't change the prices. Its all politics and chain of command. As soon as I quit this job I'm never working retail again!!
I'm also hoping to marry rich. That might be a great job, the wife of Richie Rich. Worth a try.

Grammaton 9 years, 1 month ago

Scraping out the dumpsters at $h*t factories.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Cleaning out the bottom of a grain leg that's full of rotten soybeans (you only THINK you've smelled worse things!)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

OR...road kill picker-upper...week old road kill!

Fangorn 9 years, 1 month ago

For me, it would be any type of retail sales job. I just can't stomach trying to convince people to part with their (usually) hard-earned money.

TOB: Why do you define pharmaceutical companies as "the absolute scum of the earth"?

thunderbuns 9 years, 1 month ago

Working at a financial institution on Mass Street. Absolutely, positively, the bottom of the barrel. Go there on day-one, look around at the employees, then go back 6 months later and they're all new employees! The employee turnover capital of Lawrence is at a financial institution on Mass Street! They suck!!

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

e_m - that's what I'm talking about! Imagine having to be the toilet and endure something so awful, it requires crime scene tape.

HUB 9 years, 1 month ago

An anarchist. Apparently a requirement is that you have bad personal hygiene, nappy hair, and the you have to go to protests where the police kick your butt for being stupid.

BunE 9 years, 1 month ago

Runnin' the Honeypot at the Winfield blue grass festival

neopolss 9 years, 1 month ago

A city commissioner. Can't believe no one mentioned it yet.

Confrontation 9 years, 1 month ago

Donald Trump's hair stylist. I'd be so ashamed!

Liberty 9 years, 1 month ago

A politician. The amount of lying and deceiving of the American public about the form of government (democracy instead of a Republic) (or the fiat money system), would be impossible for me to do with a clear conscience.

staff04 9 years, 1 month ago

Liberty: I agree. I've worked for several, and have yet to see one that stayed true to their own values, let alone the values of their constituents...

b_asinbeer 9 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, for all of you who wrote down toilet: FYI Being a toilet is not a job...

staff04 9 years, 1 month ago

b_asinbeer: Don't tell the toilet that!

rhd99 9 years, 1 month ago

Federal Court Judge. Did any of you hear what happened that is now abuzz in Washington? It's no surprise, that the Democrats are now making threats to filibuster this new Supreme Court nomination. He was the lonely boy on a ruling in which he said he demanded that there be spousal notification when a woman conducts an abortion. He says he's for equal justice? One word to say to that: HYPOCRITE!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

OMB, still sounds too much like goatdog to me;)

Fangorn, Welcome back!

harrierist 9 years, 1 month ago

An Offficer in the Armed Forces whose job it is to travel to Families homes, and have to tell them their loved one has died in combat.

avhjmlk 9 years, 1 month ago

I know "sanitation engineers" are REALLY important people (just remember "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout" who would not take the garbage out), but I just cannot stomach the smell/appearance of icky old, cleaned-out-my-fridge-for-the-first-time-in-2-years food. Can't do it.

oldfashiongirl 9 years, 1 month ago

TOB: You're right about drug salespersons" Last Friday I could not get on the elevator as there were 7 salespersons pulling their little carts who rushed in ahead of me. When I finally reached my doctor's office, there were 5 of them taking up all the waiting room area. I was 10 minutes early for my appointment, but MY doctor chose to see 2 of them before seeing me 15 minutes late. I was so provoked I said out loud "No wonder drug prices are so high and out of reach for most seniors." There was a steely silence waiting, except another lady said "Amen."

Neopolss mentioned city commissioners. You can take care of that at the ballot box. Many of you sound very intelligent and could certainly win a seat if there is a vote and not appointments made by a mayor. If you are not having an election this November, then try to get as many people registered before next election and go out and work at it. I know you will succeed!!

neopolss 9 years, 1 month ago

Repubs are treatening to change the rules over the philibuster. Is this really a smart move? Have they considered that they would be condemning themselves should the Senate become Democratically controlled? I hear each side threatening the other with obstructing the process, being irrational, and I think the entire time, is this government even working for us now?

No. It is not. I abandoned both political parties long ago, and the amount of voter turnout should send a clear enough message - many Americans have no faith in the system representing them. Not voting is the only way to voice displeasure in a government that has failed to be a voice of the people. It has been hijacked, and it needs to be replaced.

I hope not everyone is such a die-hard loyalist to their party to see that neither party has the average American as the number one priority.

That said, it must be awfully hard to be a registered voter. You get disappointed everytime.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

when a person is dead for weeks in their house before they are found -the guy who has to clean up the mess and make the house smell good again -that job would suck.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

Well, couple of previous posters took my first two, "OTS interviewer," or sanitation engineer. so, I'll say Lawrence Firefighter (now the agency is LDCFM); you risk your life and a bunch of people think you could do a better job; or your job is to "stand around" at a fire because you are the safety officer, documenting what you see, or your the supervising firefighter. but, the armchair quarterbacks think they could do it better!

I have almost recovered from the disappointment of not seeing Ceallach in her stiletto boots and whip on halloween!

eotw33 9 years, 1 month ago

goerge bush's english teacher or public speaking teacher.

Fangorn 9 years, 1 month ago

eotw33: I can't help but appreciate the irony presented by your misspelling of "George" and the fact that the first three words of your post should have been capitalized. Were you one of W's classmates in these two courses?

Fangorn 9 years, 1 month ago

Sunflower_Sue: I got home about a week ago but have spent all my time catching up on what didn't get done in my absence, and then traveling to Nebraska for a wedding. I leave again tomorrow -- but only for a few days this time.

btw, I finally found a job, which I will start the day after I return from the East Coast. And there was much rejoicing!

juscin3 9 years, 1 month ago

T_O_B, I used to work for a company that has clients with pharmaceutical companies. The job sucked, I had to do data entry and one of the companies, which I can't mention is that they changed their rules everyday and the supervisor of our dept, would fail to tell us till AFTER the mail was processed. VERY aggrivating for that company. Glad I'm not doin that job anymore. I would have to say the job that I wouldn't want to do is retail. I have seen how people can be and that I have been one of them myself. I know that companies have policies, which one place I don't want to mention because of "slander" is they wouldn't refund my money because of their policy, and I was in the right in the first place. You have to be strong and not let the employee see that you will just say forget it, cuz thats what they want you to say. Anywho, by me being strong, I got my refund! :)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 1 month ago

Fangorn, Congrats on the new job! For your sake, I hope it's not as a badger teaser...although, I hear they make pretty good money.

Lib_ee12 9 years, 1 month ago

Believe it or not, I'm all for helping the customer. Sure, everyone hurts when people lie and want refunds they don't deserve because that just drives up prices. It's not my company after all. The reason I hate retail so much is because of the people I work with. My managers are stuck in a dead-end job that doesn't pay squat and they take it out on me.

'I'm sorry that your day is not going well, but please don't yell at me in front of customers. And please, can I just have 1 day off that I want??????'

Lib_ee12 9 years, 1 month ago

'diller bowling sounds like fun! What do you use as pins?? You know that 'dillers are migrating north right? Maybe we can all pick up a new sport!

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

Fangorn - we are indeed rejoicing with you on the job and on that fact that your name is once again seen on this board. We have missed you. As for the job least appreciated. I read the comment of the clergy man above about the repetitious type work. I think he was actually talking about a housewife. Can anything be more repetitious than washing the same dishes over and over again or making the same bed or ironing the same shirts or wiping the same little bum. But you all know that we would not change our jobs for all the tea in China :o) don't you.

olathereader 9 years, 1 month ago

I work in a medical office and i know what you mean about the drug reps. They just parade in and out of offices all day long, they do bring us lunches every day, one day last week two reps got their schedules screwed up so we had two lunches! They always bring way too much food that always gets wasted. i'd love to have that job for the lack of schedule, yet i'd hate it for wasting so much money on food and sucking up to drs. blah

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

gnome, your better off for it, the only men who have are not longer here (and I don't just mean in Lawrence :)

Fangorn: Welcome Back!! YEAH for the job!!! Lucky company!!

Morgue attendant. . . . . . .

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Correction: are "no" longer here :) That may be a sign that I shouldn't joke about it :\

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

Hey guys - I just remembered, it is my anniversary today I joined this forum one year ago today. Sure does not seem like a year. Time flies when your having fun, so I have been told.

Ember 9 years, 1 month ago

Venomous snake milker. Every time you go to work, you risk a very painful death.

I'd gladly go home reeking of manure or any other substance you can think of. At least a stench you can wash off. Death is a bit harder to remove.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Happy Anniversary, ms_canada! I had no idea when I started, looked it up, October 11 was my first. omb, you are right, time does fly!

I just finished one of the world's worst jobs -- cleaning the litter box!!!!

IndoJimbo 9 years, 1 month ago

I'll take a stab and say that the comments are from a predominantly American audience. As such, the comments are an embarassing lot, and only serve to illustrate very clearly how a narrow-minded, parochial, whining, spoiled and insensitive group we have become, at an alarmingly logarithmic rate over the past 20 years or so. In another 30 years or so when we're no longer on the top of the heap, remember what we've taught our children and apologize to them. I'm an American living overseas who loves America and what it stood for, who is still proud to be an American, and wants very much for my 12-year-old and 8-year-old to experience America, as well as just the privileged lifestyle they live overseas. But comments like I've seen from you lot provide ample support to those throughout the world (yes, Virginia, there are other people outside America!) who consider Americans to be a global embarassment. These are not people that want to see America fail, or to bring American down either - they're people (non-Americans) that love what America used to be, and lament the current overstuffed, parochial and selfish version they see nowadays. And yes, I now fully expect to get numerous indignant responses - that's all part of the profile.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

"not longer here..."

so you have 'that' effect on men...[smirk]\

actually, I knew what you meant.

Fangorn, congratulations! [don't believe howmany times I misspelled congratulations just then, must have been in goerge bush's english class!??!]

A dog sees madness when he looks at man--adapted from John Steinbeck.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

79 comment here. come one...we can make #100!

another job I surely wouldn't want, is 9-1-1 dispatcher and call-taker. high stress, high responsibility and low authority. sometimes to save lives with limited time and limited information.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Logarithmic rates are often the most alarming.

One hopes the privileged life you and your children enjoy overseas will help them acquire a sense of humor. Your self described lifestyle seldom produces anything but arrogant, spoiled, ungrateful adults, who consider themselves superior to others.

Excuse us for joking around and making light of something as serious as what job we would not like to do! The gravity of the question is just beyond our tiny little scopes (probably due to the fact that most of us did NOT grow up in privilege, "abroad." We've just been hanging around the USA, working and paying taxes to send foreign aid -- probably to the country where you are wallowing in, what was it? oh yes, privilege. Isn't it odd that other countries never seem to think our money is embarrassing, or our medical facilities, etc., ad nauseum. Jimbo, you should be ashamed of yourself. However, the ability to be ashamed of inappropriate actions is something else seldom acquired by the privileged.

Oh yes, welcome to the board. I hope you will observe a little longer before dumping on the posters again. Thanks for dropping by, see you next time you feel like slumming.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

In all fairness, we do not know that GW can't spell. He did spend a number of years in Texas. I've had some experience with Texans and you can never be sure if they do not know how to pronounce a word, or could just care less whether or not it's pronounced right.

btw, just found out "Big Mama" is coming up for Christmas -- Yee Hah! She usually makes us come down to the valley to see her. Doesn't like ice and snow. She says we might have to live in it ---- but she does not.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Hope all y'all have a good night.

Manana

bearded_gnome 9 years, 1 month ago

thanks Ceallach.
and, it would be nice if "Jimbo" hung around here a bit before he laid out his broadside. he doesn't know me, you, or the others here.

you suppose he even knows anything about Lawrence?

and, apparently, he is one of the humor-impaired.
'night Ceallach et al.