Previous   Next

Which bad driving habit annoys you the most?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on May 28, 2005

Browse the archives

“When someone shoots out of a parking lot and uses the center lane to turn instead of the nearest lane of traffic.”

“Probably when people keep their blinker on for miles and miles.”

“People who don’t use their blinker when they are about to turn, especially when they swing wide before they turn.”

“The cell phone, because they don’t pay attention when they are on it.”

Comments

melissamouse 8 years, 10 months ago

Dear hugs_and_kisses...wow.....I didn't know what I wrote would create such an outburst. I have a feeling that no matter what is written on this site, someone is going to make much ado about nothing. I sure hope it doesn't offend anyone if I don't use the phrase "people of color" That sounds as bad to me a the N word. I still say black and call Indians Indians. And I call myself white. But don't worry, I'm not prejudice, my daughter is bi-racial. Oh wait, she's half people of color and the other half caucasion. I'm truly not trying to be cynical; I'm just 47 and don't plan on having someone half my age (assuming most the people on here are college age?) analyzing every word spoken. Oh...by the way...Lawrence used to be a wonderful 'Leave it to Beaver town!!!

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Can you say "road rage"? I knew you could. Someday Happy might find himself liberally seasoned with pepper spray & thrashing around some parking lot like a monkey in a deep fryer. (not original figure of speech, I lifted that from a Star Wars review).

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 10 months ago

Yes, Happy, you go ahead and do that - kick the living snot out of one of those idiots. Don't be too surprised when you find yourself in handcuffs and getting a free ride to the jail.

happygolucky 8 years, 10 months ago

I'd have to see people with their head so far up their butt that the lump in their throat is their nose. They pull something stupid and get the bird, then act like they are going to tear me apart until I pull over and they drive off, or better yet tail gate me and act they they are calling the cops. Like this old guy in a jeep today on Iowa. He was so funny, acting all big and bad until I went to pull into a parking lot to "discuss" his error, then he quickly drove away. I think you should have the right to just kick the living snot out of idiots like that.

Stupity should be painfull

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Ceallach, May your little Escort live long and prosper!!!!!

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

[Merrill: I didn't see your last post on Thursday until today. I added a reply. I haven't seen you post today, so I don't know if you'll see this post. I'll mention it again Sunday or Monday, so you'll be able to respond if you want.]

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

Yay, ethanol! Yay, Dillons discount! Long live corn!

On Iowa, I saw a woman cruising along with two toddlers standing on the front seat of her truck. Maybe she's competing for "Dumbest Parents - Global Division" championship. I don't pull out of my driveway until everyone is locked in.

Jonas: I finally saw Hitchhiker's Guide Thursday. I was impressed, amused, and disappointed all at the same time. Great job on the Vogons, though. Bulbous and bureaucratic. "Get me the 'Permission to Pursue Fugitives' form."

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

Mine have already been discussed (that's what I get for checking late), cell phones -- when every inexpensive hands-free options are available, and tossing trash, including lit cigarette butts, out the window. Both actions reveal the individuals as totally self centered. Why should others have to either pick up your trash or pay a city worker to do so. Also, I will never understand the tendency of smokers to think they can do the drop, step, and twist dance on their cigs, walk away and it is someone else's responsibility to pick them up.

btw, sunflower_sue: filled up at Kwik Shop, 10% ethanol, used my Dillons card got a .10 cent discount (I think that suggestion was Fangorn's) and I'm waiting to see if it is too rich for my poor little escort's blood :)

Here's hoping for an enjoyable and relaxing long weekend for all y'all.

squishypoet 8 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps if driver's licenses expired more often and the tests to have them re-issued were more in-depth, people would have more cause to be reminded of the rules of the road. At least those "children" were in driver's ed not too long ago and can remember the rules, even if they aren't abiding by them. Some middle-aged drivers are just as dangerous as the "children with keys to mommy and daddy's BMW" because they've been on the road for so long that they've forgotten the rules, learned bad habits, and think that because they are so "experienced" that their way of driving must be the right way.

Grammaton 8 years, 10 months ago

Carmenilla, I'm inclined to agree. Recently I was at the intersection of Harper and 23rd where a very elderly woman was in the middle of the intersection, planning on turning left onto Harper from 23rd. The light was still red and drivers were pouring off of K-10 at light speed. She managed to make the turn but was almost clipped at high speed -- luckily she wasn't hit. I was honking my horn the whole time, as were others, and she didn't even notice.

Carmenilla 8 years, 10 months ago

Fangorn's top 2 pet peeves are the same as mine. Also, no turn signals. Huge problem! My 4th one is folks NOT BUCKLING UP children of any age!!! That child will be harmed even if the accident is happening at 15MPH. Let alone if it were on the highway at tremendous speeds. I feel that we should all buckle up. It isn't gonna do anyone any harm and it takes seconds to do it. Lastly, I want to say that young drivers are scary but some of the "elderly" elderly shouldn't be on the road. I was run off the road on 6th St. one morning by a very elderly man who obviously A) couldn't hear me laying on the horn (I use mine when necessary) and B) didn't ONCE look my way as he "merged" into the right hand lane, thus pushing me up onto a curb!!! Scary but all true. I work with the elderly population and I have the utmost empathy and respect for them. BUT at some point there has to be an admittance of "Hey, I really shouldn't be driving anymore. Its not safe." I know its the last vestige of independence for some older folks though. I feel for them. I get it.

Grammaton 8 years, 10 months ago

Ditto to just about everything here -- you've all made some excellent points.

One thing I have to add is bicyclists not even attempting to stop at stop signs, or not cycling single file on the street. Just for the sake of being accurate, I called the police department to verify the following before I posted this: When a person is riding their bicycle, they are operating a vehicle, and must comply with traffic laws, which include stopping at stop signs, signaling, and even speeding.

Please be safe on your bikes, folks. I almost hit someone the other day at an intersection because they didn't stop (it wasn't four-way).

On another note, I do attest that there are many students in town every year who either need to review the KS driving manual, or throw away their license.

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

"hyperactive pygmy slaves" LOL!

gyroduck: I think the right-of-way at stop signs isn't being mentioned because it's not a frequent issue for most people. The only time it matters is when two (or more) cars reach the same 4-way stop intersection at the same time. If there are long lines coming from multiple directions (think 31st & Louisiana around 5:00pm), it's simply a matter of taking turns, a process that goes on for an uninterrupted hour at that intersection.

My biggest driving pet peeves are 1) those who wait on side streets and then pull out into your lane right in front of you and then drive slowly, 2) those who need two blocks in both directions clear of traffic before they'll turn left onto a street, 3) driving well under the speed limit on main arteries, esp. in the left lane (they should use a side street), and 4) any kind of litter, esp. cigarette butts: use the bloody ashtray and put your empty cups and wrappers in the sack everything came in then throw it in the trash when you get home! GreenEyedBlues, I'd have been sorely tempted to toss the trash back in the window of the "hyperactive pygmy slave[master]".

gyroduck 8 years, 10 months ago

Hong Kong Phooey: I rarely hear anyone honk in this town because when someone does something wrong they can't figure out if it where them or other person who was wrong. Although I do agree with you about when people honk and it's their fault. Myself and about six other people where laughing the other day when a driver honked at some people crossing the cross walk on Mass. St. last weekend. I don't honk ( although I often would like to), because most of my driving I am representing my company and my goal is to do that in a professional manner that includes being polite even if the other person does someting wrong. The only time I would ever honk is if it would help avoid an accident. Since I am not representing my company on this board, I will tell you that rather than honking I silently wish death on the other person because they are in fact putting my life at risk and it is not appreciated. Maybe it has an effect, I don't know. I think for the most part in this town drivers are overly passive ( me to) and often don't honk when they should. The rules of the road are not that complex, but I do believe that EVERYONE not just people who's job requires it should review a driving manual on a regular basis.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

ms_canada, Misplaced my Spanish dictionary so I can only loosely translate the message you left for me. When my sister is here later, I'll have her translate it correctly for me (But even loosely translated, I know it was nice). Thanks.

Oh yeah, driving habits....I can understand that some people out there simply do not know all the rules of the road. I can even understand that we all do things that are often in the wrong for no apparent reason. I understand that there is a certain amount of just plain, old human error. What absolutly appalls me to no end is to see someone throw trash out of the window!!!!!!!!

Who raised you people? When we were kids, if we would have thrown trash out of the window, my Momma woulda pulled that big 'ol Mercury over so fast, your head would still be spinning as you got out to go pick it up!

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 10 months ago

Bad drivers aren't limited to just students. After all, most of the older bonehead drivers are just punkass KU students from the 70s and 80s who didn't know how to drive then. And haven't learned to drive since.

merrywidow033 8 years, 10 months ago

err.. "lack of turn signals, signaling your intent is really irritating." should have read "lack of turn signals, NOT signaling your intent is really irritating"

merrywidow033 8 years, 10 months ago

honestly, it's not slow drivers that hack me off as much as people driving over the speed limit. in the words of my grandfather "the speed limit IS a limit, only a boundary of which not to cross". so, going under the speed limit is not breaking the law (unless going below the posted minimum). lack of turn signals, signaling your intent is really irritating. and people throwing their cigarette butts out the window is annoying as hell. i know most people don't care, but it really sucks when those things land in a) my car or b) a dry patch of grass and start fires.

grrr...

Curtis Lange 8 years, 10 months ago

I remembered three more.

1. Driving and talking on a cellphone. (Been in many near collisions because the other driver was talking on a cell phone.)

2. Mostly applies to I-435 in Kansas City, but when people drive in the center of the three lanes. You drive in the right most lane, except for passing. By driving in the center lane, you are in effect turning a three lane road into a two lane road.

3. People that drive in the left lane when not passing anyone. Again, you are to be in the right most lane except when passing so get the hell over.

Curtis Lange 8 years, 10 months ago

1. People that turn into the far lane when making a turn.

2. People that don't use their turn signals.

3. People doing 20 mph UNDER the speed limit on Iowa for no reason.

4. People that dont yield to me while I'm in a roundabout.

5. People thinking they have the right of way when trying to enter the highway. (Just because you have your turn signal on doesnt mean I have to slow down for you when I, myself, can't get over.)

6. People that DO slow down for those trying to merge onto the highway. (There is a yield sign at the bottom of the entrance ramp for a reason!)

I'm sure there are others, but those are my biggest pet peeves about driving...especially here in Lawrence. It seems people here just don't know how to drive, be it students or residents.

KS Rules of the Road---> http://www.kscoplaw.com/vehcode/art15.html

i_tching 8 years, 10 months ago

One of my fave Bev Hillbilly episodes involved Ellie Mae going to the highschool to "git some learnin." All the snotty rich kids made fun of her rope-belted bluejeans and the bucket she used to carry her school things.

Then they found out she was rich, and they all started to wear bluejeans with rope belts and carried their books in pails.

Mister_Joe 8 years, 10 months ago

Ah, Hugs, I think Mayberry was in North Carolina, wasn't it? Well, I guess it really doesn't matter, right? I mean back in the 1960's, Jim Crow laws were alive and well in North Carolina too!

Speaking of 1960's TV shows, I see that actor Eddie Albert (of Green Acres fame) died yesterday at the age of 99. Wow! 99! I sure hope I live that long!

hugs_and_kisses 8 years, 10 months ago

Melissa, dear, do you mean to say that you actually pine for the days of Mayberry, South Carolina circa nineteen-sixty-something?? Surely you jest! You know, in the days of The Andy Griffith Show, Jim Crow laws were alive and well down south---and that included South Carolina! Also, if you watch old reruns of Andy Griffith, have you ever noticed that there isn't even one "person of color" face on that program??!! Doesn't that seem odd to you?? It should! That kind of show back in those days sent the wrong kind of message! It gave the "ever-so-subtly-implied -message" that if you want to live in a nice, quiet, peaceful, bucolic area and if you want to have that kind of life, you must live in a place where there isn't any people of color. Personally, whenever I watch those old 1960's sitcoms they make me sick! So I don't watch too many of them. Although, I must admit, I do love The Beverly Hillbillies! I have always loved that show! And yes, that program had no people of color faces either, I am embarrassed to admit! Oh, well!

melissamouse 8 years, 10 months ago

Here's one no one has mentioned and probably won't; speeding. If I go 5 miles over on the hiway I still get passed because everyone else is going 80, it seems. And in town people speed by me and then I catch up with them at the next light! Give me the Mayberry days...

larryville 8 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, sure, jt, we all knew what you meant to say! (Wink! Wink!)

.........You sicko! LOL!

i_tching 8 years, 10 months ago

Try a little more fiber in yout diet, jt!

The hostility in your post suggests something other than a considered response to the initial question.

I was specifically referring to an actual case a couple weeks ago, not in Kansas, but in a large southwestern city, which still mourns the loss of Officer Uribe.

I do not like to see drivers talking on cellphones. In New York that is proscribed by law. But I doubt that many people here would abide by such a diminishment of their "rights," as sensible as it may be, and as loathsome it is to see people so distracted as they attempt to drive.

And we all have concerns about young and inexperienced drivers, for these are often our very own children.

Driving itself is incredibly dangerous; most likely it is the most dangerous thing any of us will do today, or most days, and driving-related death and trauma are huge problems.

Problems that, I hope, you do not mean to deride in your rather fanciful post.

offtotheright 8 years, 10 months ago

Slow drivers, sitting back relaxing without a care in the world, insisting on staying in that left hand lane, going 10 mph under the speed limit. 10 cars backed up behind them. Usually on their cell phone, oblivient of what is going on around them!

Also, the driving age should be raised. Children are not mature enough or responsible enough to be behind the wheel.

jt 8 years, 10 months ago

What I meant to say was....."What I dislike!".....Not "what I like!" OOPS!!

Kind of a big boo-boo there on my part! My bad!

jt 8 years, 10 months ago

i_tching 8 years, 10 months ago

What I really dislike is when a policeman pulls over a car for some minor traffic violation, and one of the occupants reaches for a gun and blows the officers brains out.

William_Rothgraeger 8 years, 10 months ago

I hear a lot of KU students frustrated at Lawrence residents who don't know how the roundabouts work, supposedly because they believe the residents have never left the city in their lives. LJWorld should post some directions or something, because yes its really bad.

The annoying road habit that really bugs me is the applying of make-up in the car... this bothers me more than even cell-phone usage. Both eyes are off the road, stuck on the face in the review mirror while a hand applies mascara or lipstick. That one really gets me.

lunacydetector 8 years, 10 months ago

i like the mostly k.u. students who don't know how to yield at a roundabout. knowing that these children don't have enough experience behind the wheel is great as well. i am a strong advocate in k.u. having a special mandatory driver's education course for these children just handed the keys to mommy and daddy's BMW (for they do not know what they do behind the wheel). they might be 18 but they're still too immature to drive a car. what a shame that these children are legally able to operate a motor vehicle.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 10 months ago

Gyroduck: What I find TRULY funny is how everybody, including yourself, thinks that it's always the other driver that doesn't know the rules of the road.

I think it's hilarious when somebody honks a horn at another driver and then that driver gets angry - even if it was their fault!

gyroduck 8 years, 10 months ago

Funny, nobody mentions not knowing the right of way at stop signs and while driving. Maybe because none of you know it, and thats why you ALL need to read your kansas driving manual!

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

People who throw burning garbage (butts) out of their windows while driving.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 10 months ago

Can't wait until the hyperactive pygmies get THEIR driver's licenses!

This may sound picky, but I find it very annoying that a driver planning to make a turn puts the brakes on and slows way down before using their turn signal (if they even USE it at ALL).

And ditto to everything else so far.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 10 months ago

Litterbugs drive me up the wall. Is it that hard to wait until you get home to get the trash out of your car? Come to think of it, wherever you're going, there's bound to be a trash can. Somehow people feel the need to just chuck their garbage out the window as they're barreling down the highway/street.

I was waiting in the drive thru line at Backyard Burger yesterday and I saw this parked van with a litter of like 5 kids and a woman inside. The two side doors open and four little arms stretch out, dumping soda out onto the lot and then tossing the cups and cans beneath the vehicle! BLARK! A grownass woman who doesn't have the decency to put trash where it belongs. She didn't even enlist one of her hyperactive pygmy slaves to dump the trash for her.

Adam 8 years, 10 months ago

I hate it when I'm riding on my bicycle and some idiot driving a ocean liner of an SUV tries to run me off the road and yell at me for being on the road (where I have every right to be) and then that dumb redneck fatass slob isn't even man enough to get out of the car and let me beat him into a bloody pulp on the side of the road. That's annoying.

squishypoet 8 years, 10 months ago

I have a few.

1.Tailgaters-- what's your hurry? Am I the only one who remembers those rules from driver's ed-- either the 3 second rule, or the one-car-length-per-10mph rule? Geeze. Back the hell off, especially if my turn signal is on and I'm slowing down before a turn so my car doesn't roll over. Thanks.

1. Irresponsible drivers on cell phones. I was almost hit by a U-Haul today because the driver was too busy chatting on his cell phone to notice that the light was red. That's the 3rd time in 2 months that I've had near accidents because someone was yack-yack-yacking away and was too preoccupied to pay attention at a busy intersection.

2. People who don't know what their turn signal is for. Indicating that you DESIRE to change lanes, for example? By the time you're straddling the line, it's a little late to blink that puppy at me-- if I haven't caught on by then, I'm out of luck. It lets people know why you're slowing down in a seemingly irrational place. Again, if you're halfway around the corner when you flip it on, it's not much use to anyone around you. Turning right, turning left, changing lanes, in a turn lane-- just use your damn blinker!

larryville 8 years, 10 months ago

I hate tailgaters!

Also, is it too much to ask for a woman driver (and it's been my experience that 99 times out of 100 it's a woman driver) to put down that damn cell phone while she's backing her gigantic SUV out of her parking stall??!! Geez! I realize that trying to back one of those 19 foot long, 6,000 pound Ford Expeditions out of a narrow parking stall is tough enough--but doing it with just one hand on the steering wheel and gabbing away on the cell phone can't make it any easier!! I can't tell you how many times I've found myself sitting in my car in a parking lot somewhere anxiously waiting for an SUV to finish backing out of a stall, and the driver is a woman talking on her cell phone! And it takes long enough to back one of those things up with two hands and no distractions!! If you are doing it with only one hand on the wheel and you're busy talking away on a cell phone (major distraction) it takes even longer to back out of that parking stall in that SUV!! I mean, can't these people tell the person they're talking to, "Hey, can you hold on a second? I gotta back out of my stall."---And with that, the person could rest the cell phone down somewhere and back up ---and then get back on the phone!! Is that too much to ask??!!

italianprincess 8 years, 10 months ago

The drivers who are talking on their cell phones and smoking at the same time.

Phone in one hand, smoke in the other with that hand on the wheel.

I once got cut off by a lady driving a van. She had a disabled plate, but was able to chat, smoke and drive at the same time.

I want a P.A. system installed in my car.