Previous   Next

Do you enjoy it when college students are out of town for the summer?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 24, 2005

Browse the archives

“Actually, I kind of like having the students here. Every once in a while the traffic bothers me.”

“Yes. There is less congestion, and it’s easier, faster and safer to get around town.”

“Yes, mainly because of the traffic. Driving today was so nice. I could drive from Sixth Street to 23rd Street in five minutes.”

“I enjoy it when the students are in town, but I also enjoy the break during the summer. It’s like living in two different cities.”

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 3 months ago

It's always a huge relief when the dorm rats go back to Nebraska and Minnesota. The traffic slows down tremendously, yes. The nightlife seems to water down a bit too.

However, there's something very magical about the start of any school year... the sense of possibility is almost palpable.

Fangorn 9 years, 3 months ago

I wish I spoke more languages, so I could say YES! in all of them. I realize we receive many benefits from having the university here. And I do appreciate them. But I also appreciate the break we get each summer from the congestion (traffic, restaurants, etc.) the presence of 20,000 extra people in the city causes.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

Actually I found this far more enjoyable : http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/may/24/bush_set_record/?opinion

KU students for Lawrence are part of the deal and probaly do not play as big a role in traffic congestion as the 20k-40k new permanent residents. Many of them drive as if they are from KC,Topeka or New York City. Most commuters likely should have stayed closer to their jobs instead of creating morning and late afternoon stress in their life.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 3 months ago

consumer1--

...keep in mind how much money is generated by these temporary residents, their visiting families and friends, that normally would have no reason to ever visit Kansas or Douglas County, other than stopping for a rest stop at the Lawrence Oasis on I-70 as they pass on through during their road trip.

And during the last census count, though I am a born-and-raised Chicagoan and continue to have everything registered through IL, I was counted as a KS resident because I was a college student that resided in the state majoirty of the year--even though I have intent of leaving upon graduation. I will admit, I do choose to vote in KS though.

If my body counts as a one more number to the KS already-small population, I'll continue to vote in Lawrence.

Just wish I can bring my grand Chicago voting tactics with me--get these dead people who remain registered to vote and for everybody else who is alive...vote early, vote often! <>

enochville 9 years, 3 months ago

consumer1 - I wonder if the student's votes ever determine an election. Although many students vote, the majority do not. I doubt that the fall/winter student's votes every affect the outcome of an election.

I do like that the traffic dies down over the summer.

deuce 9 years, 3 months ago

Yes! I'm glad they're gone...

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

KU students are like grandchildren...We sure do love 'em but are so glad when we can send 'em home for a break!

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Do that many students really leave? It always seems like there are still plenty of them around in the summer. I remember way back in the day (when I was a young whippersnapper) that the town seemed empty when the students left. Now Lawrence is too big for its britches with or without the students. But no, I don't miss them too terribly much.

sadtaco1 9 years, 3 months ago

I hate people. But I do love lamp.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

sadtaco1, You are one sad taco! But, I'm glad you love something.

Carmenilla, The time that you really notice that we have lots of out-of-town students is when they all come back in the fall and suddenly it becomes terrifying to drive in town.

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

Carmenilla: I too remember the empty streets and restaurants of the past. One reason the summers are more active is the expansion of camps hosted by KU. Those big empty dorms were costing rather than making money. Now the doors revolve with kids camps of every description. A few camps offer scholarships, but for the most part they have big time registration fees. So in a way we are doing our part to keep a number of wealthy peoples kids off the streets of their hometowns :) Thank goodness Lawrence does have some good Parks & Recreation activities for summer (at least they once did).

The income is beneficial to several university units, but also to so many staff that now have 12 month positions rather than 9.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

Just thought I'd take another jab at LPR for not doing enough for their gymnastics program. (Since Ceallach brought it up) ;) The newspaper article that ran a couple of weeks ago made it seem as though not too many kids were going to be affected by losing Robinson Gymnasium. WRONG! It's true that they will have a small area for little kids to tumble about and maybe walk on a small balance beam...but THAT is NOT gymnastics! And it completely leaves out most of the kids over the age of eight (I'm being generous). Where does all the money in Lawrence go? Oh yeah, Round-abouts!

While I'm on the subject, where is the ice rink, the roller rink, and other things that Small Town USA has and we don't?

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

sunflower_sue: as if I can't get in enough trouble by myself :-)

btw, smile when you say Small Town about Lawrence and don't let many people hear you. More and more Lawrencians will be offended by such a definition. Makes us sound like "regular" people, or worse hicks, instead of the elite individuals we are. If you rock their little boat they will say mean things to and about you. Although, from past posts, I think your shoulders are probably broad enough to bear it;)

I have known of two rollar rinks in the years I have been in Lawrence. Both were great in the beginning, then apparently the owners decided to pocket all income and let them run down until they were finally closed. The last rink was always busy, birthday parties, youth groups, etc. Then, gone.

Fangorn 9 years, 3 months ago

When I moved here 9 years ago, I thought it was odd that a town this size doesn't have a miniature golf course. There's that little think inside Royal Crest Lanes, but that's a far cry from the good, outdoor mini-golf places I've seen in other towns, some much smaller than Lawrence. I suppose a family can always take their entertainment dollars elsewhere.

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

Sad but true, there's also been two Putt-Putt miniature golf courses. The first one was on W. 23rd, replaced by the building where Yello Sub is now and the gas station to its east. The second was at 31st & Iowa, need I say more?

If they manage to become "tragically hip" I truly fear for our lives.

Safety pins and eye shadows may have already become the required look to work in a check out lane in Lawrence. A well loved teenage family member had one of those little bar bells put in her eyebrow, that was last summer -- I discovered that when I finally got to the point that I could look at it without wondering "Why would anyone . . .?" she removed it, and I haven't seen it since. Glad I was able to keep quiet (at least about that).

remember_username 9 years, 3 months ago

o_m_b - Goth police uniforms - that truly made my day. Now I have to copy these posts so that when next time I see a LPD officer, and I start laughing uncontrollably, I can show your post and (hopefully) not get arrested.

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

melissamouse: I don't remember Henry's but I do remember the Willie' 1040 on W 6th, and the Dynamite on W. 23rd street. Not that I would know much about the Dynamite as I was underage at the time :)

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

consumer1: I'll have an Allen's Royal with fries!! They were the best -- we are really showing our age now :) and yes, I even remember Griff burgers, weren't they $.12?

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

Ceallach, sorry for the misinturpretation, I meant to say that "small town USA" has these things, why don't we? (Meaning that we are not "Small town".) Didn't want to get you in trouble...just wanted somebody to go down with me. Hee Hee ;)

I remember the last roller rink and even the putt-putt. Went on a few dates with my boyfriend (now hubby) at the mini golf. It's a great date place. If I had millions, I'd buy a tiny lot in Lawrence and put one in. Call me sentimental.......

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

I want a Chuck E Cheese to come here now that the little Mr. Gattis has gone away.

I believe that they would do well here with all the kids, and its great for parties and fun.

Time to email them about possibly coming here.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Well just emailed Chuck E Cheese and lets see what happens.

Have a great rest of the day everyone.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 9 years, 3 months ago

My granddaughter decided last year that she wanted her birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese's (after being made to believe that it was the coolest place on Earth by the commercials on tv), so the family sat through one of the worst times we have ever spent in a outing. The pizza was terrible, it cost an arm and a leg, and we all felt like fools watching those poor high school kids dancing around as if they'd overdosed on the overly sweet pizza sauce. Her "party" was one of probably 20 that same afternoon and she were given no special attention beyond a cardboard tiara. There was nothing special about the place at all. Even our little ones realized what a ridiculous situation it was.
At the end of the afternoon when asked how she liked Chuck E Cheese's my granddaughter said that she wished we'd gotten pizza anywhere else and taken it to the park. I would hate to see a Chuck E. Cheese's come to town when we already have so many great pizza places. Sure they have the games, tunnels and robotic animals, but they also use a child's wonder and belief in magic to manipulate them, and in turn their parents. This year for her birthday my granddaughter has chosen a make your own pizza party at my house, then afterwards we'll go outside and play croquet and badminton, and sit around a bonfire scratching the dogs between the ears and talk till the little ones fall asleep. I think I'll email Chuck E. Cheese's and ask them NOT to come to Lawrence.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Sorry the party was such a drag. Yes it can be costly to have a party just about anywhere these days.

I just thought since theres nothing much for kids to do here as far as a place of entertainment and fun it would be nice.

Try Jeepers next time in the mall in Olathe. We have fun everytime we go there.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

schoolmarm, I agree with you 10,000% (can I do that?) We have yard parties (where kids can be kids). I think I'll e-mail cc's too and ask them to stay away.

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

I find all of the pizza/party places to be rather annoying as well, ladies. We used to call Mr. Gatti's "Mr. Gaudy's"! I think we could all do without another place that peddles frozen processed pizza and cheapo trinkets that require you to spend $5 in tokens before your kid "wins" a prize that's worth $.05. I say boo to that! Take your children outside or to the museum. Sorry IP...

melissamouse 9 years, 3 months ago

I've never posted before but when I saw someone remembered Griff's and Allen's...that made my day! Does anyone remember Henry's on 6th and Maine with dime burgers that were awful!? As far as students being gone in the summer it's getting more difficult all the time to tell the difference in traffic than when they're here. Actually, Lawrence was at it's best in 60's-70's to me. More of a 'Leave it to Beaver" town.

melissamouse 9 years, 3 months ago

ceallach, I'm confused...are you referring to Willie C's that used to be on 6th and Vermont? I have heard of the Dynamite on 23rd but don't actually remember seeing it. Also there was a place called The Carriage Lamp where I believe Godfather's is or used to be near Ace hardware. Here's some that go way back...The Stinky Cheese Shoppe, Eve's Apple, and Harvey's shoe store!