Previous   Next

What are your plans for after graduation?

Asked at Memorial Stadium on May 23, 2005

Browse the archives

“Going back home to live with my parents and get an internship in St. Louis.”

“I’m hopefully going to get a job. I’ve already had two interviews, and I’m just waiting for a reply.”

“I’ll be a registered nurse in labor and delivery at Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo.”

“I’m looking at one of three things: graduate school, medical school or working in a lab.”

Comments

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

fangorn: I understand what you are saying about the health care availability and quality here being better in a number of ways than the care received in most other countries. However, I do believe we are overdue for a reform. Health care has become too much of an industry. It seems to me that between HMO's who focus on the bottom line and so many "specialists" who can only diagnose by running a battery of expensive tests, we the patients are being squeezed in between. Maybe I should contact O'Reilly, isn't he the one who says he's looking out for us? ;)

Seriously, when I compare what is available and the cost now compared with 30 years ago when I had a young family there is a stark difference. The US still had the newest innovations in medical equipment and pharmaceuticals but the family did not have to bear so much of the financial burden. (The fact that I am currently dealing with doctors and tests $$$ probably doesn't help my perspective :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Just backed-up and read some things about gasoline tax. You're right, Deuce, that farmers have road tax exempt diesel, and I think this is a good thing. (Especially now when diesel is the highest priced fuel at the pumps.) You are wrong, however, that they get tax exempt fuel for "over the road". The diesel that goes in a semi gets taxed just like your car does...only your car doesn't have a 200 gallon capacity! It takes a lot of fuel to run a tractor over a field several times before the farmer gets our food to the elevators. Also, the farmer has to pay tax on his fuel for his lawn mower, etc... just like we do. Where the heck are the bio-diesel plants that should be popping up all over? When we can make fuel from corn and soybeans, why are we still buying so much oil? And if anyone is wondering, YES, I ALWAYS fill up my car with the 10% ethanol...even when it is more expensive.

About having tax-exempt fuel for lawn mowers, etc., I don't argue that it's wrong to tax this fuel but am wondering the cost effectiveness of putting in another pump versus the tax that we pay. I haven't done the math.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

After graduation... I will be thrilled about less traffic, less accidents, more tables open in restaurants, and generally, less students! (Not that we don't love 'em)

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

ceallach - I do believe that fangorn is right. Our health care system could use some improvement in various areas. It takes months to get an MRI or even a CTscan. But for hospital care and X-Rays, lab work, treatment and office visits, emergency care, we can't complain. So as f. says, far pastures can sometimes appear greener.

larryville 8 years, 11 months ago

Okay, I'll say it before lonely guy has a chance to say it.......

Regarding Michelle Chaputa.......Hubba-hubba!

Sorry, lonely guy, I just couldn't resist!!

LOL!

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

GreenEyedBlues: I thought you probably had the game. I thought about you when I watched the girls playing it. I knew a lot of the answers, but I figured you'd be the Grand Master Champion.

Ceallach: I think the Canadian health care system is a "grass is always greener" issue. Better speciality care is available here in the US. And how many new life-saving, life-enhancing pharmaceuticals come out of Canada each year? Or anywhere else for that matter? I'll be quite happy to keep the system we've got over anything else the rest of the world has to offer.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

My family is about 50 miles east of Port Isabel (S. Padre) which we avoid like the plague during the collegiate fertility rituals each spring:) The valley's growth is totally out of control! My parents have not moved for 25 years but their city address has changed 3 times. The same house has been in Pharr, San Juan and Alamo.

ms_canada: my parents have close friends from Canada. Until 2 years ago Mom and Dad went to Canada each summer to visit the "Snow Birds" in their native habitat. They too were more than pleased with their health care system. The politicians here make it sound like the "end of life as we know it" if our health care system were to be reformed to a model closer to yours. However, being the skeptic that I am, I think it is the politicians lives that might change (money, money, money).

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach, I'm in Houston, as in "....,we have a problem". Moved here in Feb after 10 years in the Lawrence area.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

omb: How far down in Texas are you? My family calls the Rio Grande Valley home, now that is "way down" in Texas :)

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

YES! Ha ha ha ha! My parents bought it for me as a Christmas present! What a SWEET game! =D I'm gonna bust it out and play it now. LOL

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

My primary plans for after graduation are to enjoy the 80% reduction in the amount of time it takes to get anywhere in Lawrence after the students leave for the summer!

[Off-topic comment following] GreenEyedBlues: Have you seen Disney's "SceneIt! DVD Game"? My daughter's friend brought it over this weekend and they played it. You'd be a killer at it! It's all Disney trivia "listen to this scene and name the movie" type stuff. You probably already have it, but if not, I thought you'd like to know about it.

deuce 8 years, 11 months ago

Yes, Farmers get a break from the road tax because they'll use Diesel fuel which is colored Red. I think we should have Unleaded gasoline that is exempt from taxes and perhaps color it Green or Purple. Most citizens do abide by these laws becasue if the DOT ever stopped you and checked (and they do) your tank - it is a hefty fine. I think each and every person should have a tax rebate for all the years we have been forced to pay this unfair "road" tax.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

ms_canada, I'm way down in Texas & we don't get much news from anywhere north of Oklahoma (except for the East & West Coasts). Gas has dipped below $2.00 in the last few days.

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

one more bob - I wonder what the lack of northern news in your media says. We here in Canada get a really lot of news of you folks. I wonder if that is because our own news is so cruddy boring, or what? ha ha! Of course, maybe not everyone here in Can. is as interested in world news as I am. I was quite surprised at the price of a gallon of gas in Montana. The cheapest I found was $2.24. You may know or not that our gas is sold by the liter and gas is heavily taxed. But then I do believe we pay much more taxes than you folks. We in Alberta pay a Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 7% on everything except food and children's clothing. 7% because AB. is an oil rich prov. Now, B.C. where my daughter lives has an added 8% provincial sales tax. A lot of people from BC will come to AB to buy major items such as stoves, fridges, etc. to save on the tax. But then, our government does give us more social benefits than yours, I believe. I have told this board about our social security coverage and our health care before. And I believe that the majority of the people like it that way. Coverage from the cradle to the grave, sort of thing.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach: YIKES! What IS with Florida?

I'm very anxious to see the verdict on the Michael Jackson trial... Hooray for Jay Leno! He's something of a hero to me. After all, we practically share the same physiognomy.

www.xanga.com/elspastico

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

That is, of course assuming that tax-exempt gas would be indentified like tax-exempt diesel is.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Doesn't a filling station have to have a separate set of pumps/tanks for the tax-exempt diesel because the tax-exempt fuel contains a coloring agent? If there were such a thing as tax-exempt gasoline, would a filling station have to install new pumps/tanks to keep track of the tax-exempt gas?

deuce 8 years, 11 months ago

Gasoline...why do consumers have to pay tax - (let me be specific) Road Tax on gasoline used to mow their lawns? Power their weed eaters? Snowblowers etc. etc...?

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

ms_canada, It's my observation that except for disasters, very little news from up your way gets any play down here. Had heard nothing about the monarch people being on this side of the pond. If Prince Phillip were to be savaged by a puma, that would be noticed.

ms_canada 8 years, 11 months ago

mister_joe - I am here. This not to change the subject, but, in reference to the topic of last Thur. (Batman) Topside, you mentioned the fact that Frank Gorshin died on Wed. last week. Did anyone catch the last episode, the 2 hr. long CSI, the Las Vegas one. Did you happen to see Frank Gorshin in the scene where, oh nuts, can't remember her name, the long haired red-head goes to the casino of her father to beg some ransom money for Nick Stokes. Well, did you catch the dedication of that episode to the loving memory of Frank Gorshin at the end of the show? As far as changing the subject today, how about your plans for the summer vacation or do you take one. I don't see what controversy could come of that. But then, we do love controversy on this board, don't we? I for one am not taking a vacation this summer. My recent trip to Montana was not a vacation, I worked like a dog packing my sisters "stuff". I always wonder what news about Canada you folks get down there. For instance, do you know that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are here in our provinces this week to celebrate the 100th birthdays of Saskatchewan and Alberta. She had the weekend off at our most lovely mountain resort town of Jasper but comes to Edmonton today for a gala B. party at our large stadium (155,000 tickets sold) The weekend was lovely but guess what, today is blustery and rainy and cold. Poor old queeny. This is not a covered stadium!!!

remember_username 8 years, 11 months ago

Is it just me or does it seem that the person who thinks up these "street questions" is a summer intern from KU? Consider last weeks university oriented questions and we're starting the softballs this week as well. Darn me for not reading the paper this weekend and missing the two good questions and a chance to get in a good discussion!

LJW get out there and ask some edgy questions! Like what about the judicial nominees and the "nuclear option", stem cell research, or how about what do we think the next 50 years are going to bring. You've got a chance to educate and inform - take it.

happygolucky 8 years, 11 months ago

Plans for after graduation, are long drives around our fine round a bouts, not waiting in long lines at the movies, and just enjoying students being gone.

Bob-better make that asap. I'll keep it on the DL so you don't become MIA. Your capture might land me in KP.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

I plan to find a parking space without circling the block a gazillion times, walking through relatively empty halls, and enjoying the quiet time until the first week of June. Love the students, but also love the breaks.

Does anyone have information about the petition to keep the state's #1 known pervert from moving to Lawrence? I went by Checker's yesterday but the women were not there. I may have missed the deadline but don't remember seeing the timeline for submission. Thanks.

And what is with Florida? Seems to be open season on little girls!!

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Today is the birthday of Otto Lilienthal, Carl Linnaeus, and Franz Messmer. May 23 1934, Bonnie & Clyde met a messy end over in Louisiana.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

I'll get some drumsticks for LJW at KFC, PDQ.

Mister_Joe 8 years, 11 months ago

I could be wrong, but I'd guess that most of the "regulars" here on this board didn't graduate from KU yesterday..................

So I can't imagine too many responses today to this question!

ms_canada, where are you?! I think we need someone to just go ahead and change the subject!! lol

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

Should we hold a 'post-graduation' party for the LJW? Best reporting in the "Leg" category? ;)

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, now that graduation is over I'm going to...hope like hell that the Journal-World is going to stop advertising the story about Gidden's getting his leg slashed as the top story. It happened DAYS ago!