Previous   Next

What type of return do you think graduates will receive on their educational investment?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 22, 2005

Browse the archives

“They definitely got their money’s worth. They will get out of it everything they put into it and more.”

“I guess that depends on what they specialized in. I believe I’ve gotten an excellent return on my degree.”

“I think they will receive an excellent return, both in finance and personal experience.”

“I think they’re going to benefit tremendously from it.”

Comments

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

make that "i attended the university of kansas for four years"

it's too early.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 7 months ago

Who can answer a question like that? I got my degree and then opted to stay at home and try to raise good human beings. My return on investment...subjective! Loved school and could probably be a "Professional student" if I had all the money in the world. (I guess I've always got something to fall back on.) Would I have spent my 7 years in college knowing what I know now? You bet ya!!!!!

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

goatdog: What does that have to do with. . . nevermind.

/moving on

Depends definately on what you studied, and what you plan on doing. My degree was in English, which provides, by itself, a poor return. When I tack on my minor in Japanese and my masters in business, I think I will get my money's worth. So my BA will provide a very good stepping stone, just not a strong support on it's own.

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

it depends on their degree and how they word their resume'.

let's say a person puts on their resume' "i attended the University of Kansas for fours, from 1986 to 1990, majoring in __." But in reality they only "attended" and never graduated. it's safe to say the employer will assume the person graduated. most employers don't check to see if there is a "degree." that person got a much better return compared to a graduate.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 7 months ago

H & K: I agree that goatdog is very bitter and only goes on about the perfectly justified war in Iraq, but I think you inserted the "pigs" part. Re-read the post.

As for the actual question of the day, I agree with Jonas. I received a degree in Film Studies. I might as well have studied "underwater basketweaving" for all the good a degree like that does. I definitely should have listened to my father and studies something like Business or Pharmacy. Jonas, are you going to move to Japan and start your own English school? (there's BIG bucks in that)

Lunacy - you must have missed the article about all the employers that are conducting extensive background checks and polygraph tests. Yeah, let's take loonies advice and lie on our resume's, then get fired for lying and have to explain that at the next job you interview for. Lunacy detected...

Fangorn 9 years, 7 months ago

Define "return" on an investment. That can mean different things to different people. And the type of degree you get, may determine the types of returns that are even possible. An el ed major isn't going to amass vast wealth but will make a difference in countless lives throughout his teaching career. Jonas' masters degree is likely to yield a more tangible outcome, but how he benefits from it will depend on the value he himself places on it not the value society assigns to it.

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

I saw a neat sign in front of a church yesterday as I was returning to the city. It read, "There are two good times to keep your mouth shut, while swimming and when angry" If goatdog is a swimmer, he may very well never open his mouth, IF he were to take that advice. Or he could look into why he is so angry all the time. I have had experience with a person close to me whose anger nearly ruined his life. With God's help he finally came to grips with it and ceased to blame others in his life. He is now a much happier person. We could all learn from that phrase and keep our thoughts to ourselves at times. I am willing to admit my guilt in this.

italianprincess 9 years, 7 months ago

I recieved my Masters in ECE back in 86 and now I own my own little buisness here at home.

I have always wanted to be a teacher ( ever since elem school ) and now I am.

If you work hard and strive for what you want, anything is possible.

Have a great day everyone.

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

In my experience, the successful grads, those who feel they have received a satisfactory return on their investment (time and money), are usually those who chose to train for a career in a field they either respected or felt gratification from the work. Too many people define success in monetary terms. Those who think only of money will never be rich enough to be happy.

h & k: don't be surprised at the names our little goatdog calls others, look at the name he called himself. Judging from the first post, it is obvious that he hasn't read the end of the book. Although he is a self defined dog I do not recommend euthanasia, maybe ignoring him will work best.

ms_canada: Good advice. Thanks for sharing. Keeping quiet is still something I must work at, and often fail.