Previous   Next

Have you ever suffered from migraines?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 16, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes. I had them for many years. I found out that they were caused by an allergy to dairy.”

“I never have, but my mother and brother have them. My brother once had to go to the hospital because it was so bad.”

“No. I’ve never had one, but a relative of mine suffers from them.”

“Yes, but I haven’t had one for a year and a half after I had gastric bypass surgery.”

Comments

William_Rothgraeger 8 years, 11 months ago

I like what the hospital gives for migraine treatment... cough demerol cough ;)

squishypoet 8 years, 11 months ago

I was recently diagnosed (as? with? what's the proper word to use here?) having migraines. It helps if you're having one while you are sitting in the doctor's office. Good to know, and now I have medicine that I can take to relieve the migraine within 20 minutes, instead of taking 2 ibuprofen and sleeping for 3 hours.

JohnVaBeach 8 years, 11 months ago

p>www.MigrainePrevention.org is a great source for understanding and preventing migraines.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the info acg! I've been to the Niangua/Bennett Springs. We might try the Current this year, we need a change of pace.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The article is wrong - standard traffic tickets DO contain an area to mark the race of the person. I know because the ticket I just got says so...

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

Yes, I get migraines.

Did anybody else read the article about the racial profiling law? My question is...do they just keep track of who the white cops pull over, or do they also keep track of whether or not non-white cops are targeting white people?

If they did track that, it would be a first.

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

I've never had a migraine. I once had a headache so bad I thought (hoped) I would die. But that was caused by a neck injury from a car accident. One trip to the chiropractor was all it took for relief.

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

I may have a small headache by the end of the day though= they are tearing the roof off the front of my house.

Thats alot of noise up there and it would give anyone a headache.

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Migraines run in our family. They are some how hereditary.

My grandma ( God rest her soul ) had them, my aunt and her daughter get them. My mom gets and my oldest sister along with her daughter gets them to the point where they have to have complete silence, lay in a dark room and even at times get very sick. My third oldest sister also gets them, they skipped me and my brother ( younger ) gets one every now and then. My son has had a few also.

They are a drag to have and I thank God everyday I don't have to experience that type of major headache because they are not a joy.

acg 8 years, 11 months ago

I canoe every year in MO, offtotheright, and the Elk River leaves a lot to be desired. It's a decent row, and not many rapids, but the last time I was there, there was a dead, bloating cow corpse in the water and the water was nasty. Try the Current River in southeast MO. It's natural spring water, cold but awesome, very clean, great row, some decent rapids and there are caves to explore, cliff jumps everywhere, etc. The camping arrangements are better in that area, also.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Extreme, at White Stone over on Sixth Street, they used to do reiki circles once or twice a month where a person could just show up & experience receiving reiki. There may well be other circles in Lawrence. Check it out & see if it works for you.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Has anyone been to the Elk River Canoeing?

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

Carmenilla, (forgive my earlier misspelling). This Reiki business sounds like it has promise. I don't suffer from migraines (or headaches in general, for that matter--THANK GOODNESS!), but the thesis OMB put forward is intriguing.

With all which constantly 'comes down the 'pike', it sounds useful to have a positive way to calm oneself.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

I was extremely skeptical of reiki when I tried it. I like getting massages and such but was unsure how reiki might work on me. Lo and behold, I was amazed at the effect it had. I walked home from my session on a cloud of air. It was more relaxing than some hands-on body work I've had done. Like you, OMB, I don't have to buy into the dogma to have it work for me.

And as a deaf one-eyed midget I am deeply offended by your lack of tact, fellow posters...

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm nearing 50. Live concerts, Rolling Stones (twice). Led Zepplin. Huh?

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

I've a significant hearing loss on one side after being around tanks & such in the army and then working in a sawmill for a couple of years. I always used the hearing protection that was available, but once the noise reaches a high enough level, your hearing will be damaged no matter what you do. The guys driving around with 50,000 watts of bass pounding thru the trunk will be saying "huh?" a lot in a few years.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

I knew a guy once who was deaf in one ear. It blew me away that he wasn't into stereo gear.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Should one-eyed people get into the movies for half price?

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

Do you suppose midgets might get REAL migraines or just itty-bitty ones?

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Carmenilla, I do reiki on myself to turn off headaches & such stuff. I don't necessarily buy into some of the dogma thats grown up around reiki. However, that doesn't keep it from working for me.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

How were my second and third paragraphs complaints?

And yes, I am sick of the complaining! And I won't stop complaining about it until its gone! ;-)

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

Carmmenilla:

Paragraph 1. Complaint. Paragraph 2. Complaint. Paragraph 3. Complaint.

BTW: Thanks OMB. You made my day.

macon47 8 years, 11 months ago

the midget statues used to be at the police station where new hampshire dead ends but they moved them again or someone stole them

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm getting a migraine just from reading the crabby responses from today and the weekend. Hey, folks its beautiful outside, stop complaining!!! Is life less satisfying if we don't have someone/something to make fun of or complain about? I think some folks post on here just to flame and argue but they have no idea that the question of the day is related to something in the paper.

And yes, Reiki sounds like BS but it convinced a skeptic like me. I thought energy work sounds like a bunch of hooey too. Just because something isn't confirmed by Western medicine doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Heck, if monks were doing it for centuries maybe there is something to it. Oh but what do those crazy hippies and monks know anyway?

Oh, and I had a migraine once. It sucked and I wanted to pull out my hair. I really feel for anyone who suffers them regularly.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps the question might have been posed thusly, "Do you suffer from Mondays?"

Topside 8 years, 11 months ago

Thanks OMB I figured it was some sort of BS like that.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 11 months ago

Emily: Mybrains? Oh, yes. I suffer from my brains all the time. In fact it was just the other morning...

Chevy: Emily. The question is about "MIGRAINES." NOT 'my brains'.

Emily: Never mind.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Since you asked: "Reiki (pronounced "ray-kee") is a therapeutic technique in which healing energy is channeled through the practitioner and into the person receiving the treatment. The term reiki comes from the Japanese words rei (universal), and ki (energy). The use of reiki for healing is thought to have originated with Tibetan monks. The earliest known mention of this Universal Life Energy is contained in 2500-year-old Sanskrit texts. In the early 20th Century, a Japanese religious scholar named Mikao Usui rediscovered the principle of reiki. He developed a structure for performing reiki treatments and teaching others how to use reiki energy for healing. His methods became the Usui System for Natural Healing."

Let the scoffing & harping begin.....

Topside 8 years, 11 months ago

What the heck is reiki? And, yes, this is the worst question to date.

Redneckgal 8 years, 11 months ago

For some reason after my daughter was born I had them for about a year and then they went away. I was alone most of the time with a little baby because daddy was out on the rode and it was pretty misareble. I never did find out what caused them but I'm glad they went away.

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

too bad they didn't put in a question regarding that poor guy who jumped to his death because lawrence memorial cares more about counting beans, than having inpatient care for the mentally disturbed.

in a City that wastes money left and right putting in concrete street obstructions or having a totally wasteful public transport system - i think i'm having my very first migraine - but when it comes to hospital care for the mentally ill forget it - IT DOESN'T MAKE MONEY. money money money....

perhaps people should stop spending money on "appearance" items. lawrence has a fleet of gigantic buses - it "appears" they have a first rate transportation system (though nobody rides it), or, lawrence "appears" to be the Mecca of roundabouts in the midwest...let's have a traffic engineering convention. i failed to mention the artwork downtown --- lawrence "appears" to be full of art, did you see those midget statues downtown?

it's all about "appearance."

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Who thinks of these questions, and how did they come up with this one! Geez! Yes I have had a migraine before.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

Everytime I fly home to Chicago via O'Hare Airport!

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't suffer from migraines. What a lame question.