Previous   Next

How much should a stay-at-home mom make if she drew a salary?

Asked at Lawrence Farmers Market, 1000 block of Vermont. on May 8, 2005

Browse the archives

“$200,000. I think it’s the hardest job.”

“It’s impossible to quantify, because there are so many intangible things that a stay-at-home mom does. It’s more than just the time they spend with the kids.”

“$800 a day, because of all the fun things she does with me.”

“I would say at least $40,000, but it depends how many kids they have.”

Comments

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

The poor stay at home moms get no respect, especially from two famous women who have something in common. THEIR POLITICAL PARTY!!!!!

"I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas. But what I decided to do was fulfill my profession, which I entered before my husband was in public life." - Hillary Rodham Clinton

"Well, you know, I don't know Laura Bush. But she seems to be calm, and she has a sparkle in her eye, which is good. But I don't know that she's ever had a REAL JOB -- I mean, since she's been grown up. So her experience and her validation comes from important things, but different things................I had forgotten that Mrs. Bush had worked as a school teacher and librarian, and there couldn't be a more important job than teaching our children. As someone who has been both a full-time mom and full time in workforce, I know we all have valuable experiences that shape who we are. I appreciate and honor Mrs. Bush's service to the country as First Lady, and am sincerely sorry I had not remembered her important work IN THE PAST." - Theresa Heinz Kerry (who only goes as Theresa Heinz now)

--lunacy detected.

kansas 9 years, 3 months ago

Joey Basset, you're a swell kid, you know that?! You're more than swell! You're a real sweetheart!

You are!

Okay, now go give your mom a great, big hug!

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Putting a "price" on something like child rearing is almost impossible. I was fortunate enough to stay home with my child and it was, by far, one of the hardest jobs of my life! In fact, running a household is still harder than most jobs I have had. I commend all women out there (at-home or in the workforce) because motherhood, no matter what the circumstance, is a tough job. The hours are long and sometimes the kids put you thru the ringer. It can be a thankless job but the rewards are immeasurable.

As for the first 2 posters of the day, offtotheright, you might get some more respect if you weren't so darn pushy and whiney. I know a handful of stay-at-home dads and they are wonderful, gentle, humble and kind. That is not how you come across. And LD, you continue to amaze me with your inability to detect your own lunacy, let alone the stink of your own feces. Let's not forget folks, lunacydetector thinks that women have no right to be in the workplace. Thats the downfall of our society according to him. Being a stay-at-home mom is the only job he thinks we are fit for. Can you believe cavemen like him exist in this day and age? Sad but true!

Fangorn 9 years, 3 months ago

I agree that it would be nearly impossible to quantify. Sure, you could add up the salaries of the various roles: cook, chauffer, nurse, teacher, director of recreation (or should that be "re-evolution" ;) ), housekeeper, counselor. But her value as a mom is far more than the sum of her roles. How much is a happier childhood worth? I'm currently a stay-at-home dad, and I can tell you it isn't easy, trying to balance study, feeding, changing diapers, searching CareerBuilder, playing, keeping the house clean. I don't know how fulltime moms do it. I know I'm not cut out for it.

Jonas: Regarding opened/closed doors vis-a-vis Janus, I've never actually read the reason for it. Now that you've piqued my curiosity, I'll have to find out. I'll let you know if/when I find out anything.

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

Fangorn: I eagerly await it.

Lunacydetector: Good lord, man, you're getting worse than Lulu! Can't you just, for one day, not take any tenuous excuse to weary our ears with your personal politics?

Question: I think it would be easier to quantify if not in dollars. My mom deserved a daily salary of 56 tacos and a gold margarita.

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Jonas, I love that idea. If I could be paid "properly" for staying at home with my child, my daily salary would be a new pair of fabulous shoes, a full-body massage from Russell Crowe (or whatever Hollywood hunk is on hand) and the banishment of any cellulite EVER! Sounds fairly simple, don't you think?

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

I am a stay at home mom, but I also work at home. I own an in home daycare and work 11 hour days most of the time.I do have a degree in ECE and could have gone on to get more, but I decided to teach here at home instead of being out in the field.

As a single parent I make more money working at home then I would outside our home. I also enjoy working at home because I'm able to be here when my own boys get out of school. I do believe if I didn't have to work or doing something productive I would get completely bored. I give praise to the stay at home moms who don't have to work, but would like to know what they do all day. I'm sure they are busy, but just curious here.

Putting a price on stay at home moms is hard. I'm home, but work and would love to make way more then I do now. I have the benefit of being here for my boys, setting my own hours, and being my own boss. I take vacation around my boys school schedule also which is great. Its great being my own boss.

Its a price to pay being a stay at home ( working ) mom, but it gives me the needed time with boys and their are the most important in my life.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone who happens to be a mom.

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Thanks IP! Happy Mother's Day to you as well. For 2 of the 4 years I stayed home with my daughter I also ran a home daycare. It was the hardest 2 years of my life. I know how exhausted you must feel sometimes. Now where's our massages?

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

You could be all of those things, but if your previous posts are any example, you probably aren't.....

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

Well, I don't know if I could put an exact dollar amount on it. My sister has several kids and I can only watch them for about 45 minutes before I feel like jumping off the top of a tall building - I can't imagine doing it pretty much 24/7. Hat's off to mom's!

Liberty 9 years, 3 months ago

After paying taxes at a job, it is hardly worth working a corporate job for a Mom because most of her pay goes to the government and paying for some sort of daycare so someone else can raise your children with their values while you are at work. The time is much better spent at home with your most precious belongings, your husband first and then your children, bringing them up in the admonition of the Lord and His Word. That is priceless.

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

carmenilla, i guess the truth hurts??????????????

time to face reality woman, because society ain't getting any better the way things stand now.

removing your blinders is in order.

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

and jonas,

i only reprinted quotes from a couple of the most respected women in the democratic party. they certainly showed their disrespect towards women who stay at home with their children.

have a great evening everyone!

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

Yes, clearly that's what you did. The question is. . . why? When you try to attack people's politics before they bring them up in the first place. . . well, I see no difference between that and Lulu bringing up fundies and neo-cons because of say, a question about the red sox winning the World Series.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

As a working father I say stay at home Moms deserve all the respect in the world and a whole bunch of hugs. Working single parent Moms are creating miracles...Dads too.

No question about it children love their Mom's which just goes to prove they know who nurtured them for their first nine months...wow what an impact. It goes on for almost two decades thereafter and that's a tough job.

Mom's love their children and husband,significant other or whatever. Women are strong. Mom's... thanks for being on the planet.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

There are good Moms, bad Moms, good Dads, bad dads. The good ones are priceless and only you and your kids know who you really are. My Mother is priceless!!!!!!! Can't say about my Dad since he died when I, the last of 4, was just 2. (I'm sure my Mom chose well, though) My Mom (at he age of 74) still rocks!!!! She is by far the strongest person I've ever known. And the softest. I still remember how she smelled of Zest soap as she rocked and "hummed" me to sleep everynight when I was very small. She is still the full time caregiver of my oldest brother who is handicapped. All 4 of her children would do anything for her. She must have earned millions over the years! Yes, I gush. But she is priceless!

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

your mom sounds like a saint, sunflower_sue.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

$ 150,000 annually plus benefits!