Previous   Next

Do you think Lawrence police officers have a dangerous job?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on May 7, 2005

Browse the archives

“I would imagine that it’s a little less dangerous than other places, but being a police officer anywhere is a dangerous job.”

“I would say it’s easier than in the big city. They have to deal with the same thing, but there is a lot less.”

“It’s pretty easy here compared to where I’m from.”

“I would say yes, because they have to respond to domestic calls, and they never know how dangerous it will be.”

Comments

Jayhawk226 9 years, 7 months ago

This country is full of idiots...

...and police officers must "serve and protect" the masses.

I'd say it's a pretty dangerous job, regardless of what city they work for.

Fangorn 9 years, 7 months ago

Ms. Brumm offers an accurate insight. Domestic dispute calls are always volitile and they happen even in quiet towns like Lawrence. Police (and firefighters) have a dangerous job by definition.

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

greeneyedblues, i think liberalism is more apt to be forgiving of people who commit crimes. just look at the ACLU. if they had their way, i don't think anyone would go to prison for committing a crime. liberals are more apt to look the other way regarding drug use and drug users. with illegal drug use/sales come hardcore criminals. some liberals want drugs legalized to prevent crimes - this will not work. this will only breed more addicts which will create more crime. i think liberals do not hold life in high regard, be it an unborn child or a lady not in a coma who has to be fed through a tube. abort the baby, abort the helpless cripple - because it is assumed both will have a bad standard of living and will be a burden on society (this is nuts). i don't think liberals care and it reflects in the senseless violence in society. it is the culture of death. it is an underhanded way the philosophies of Hitler's Third Reich have made their way into mainstream America, all under the guise of "freedom."

as for a higher crime rate in Kerry strong holds, they are also large densely populated areas as jonas said - sorry for the mispelling earlier.

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

with lawrence being a liberal town, the chances are it is indeed a dangerous place to be a police officer.

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 7 months ago

Dangerous??? Why YES! I am proud to say that I am a family member of a police officer and I am very proud of each and every officer on the Police force! They go to work everyday not knowing if they will be home. I give a thumbs up to them all. Thank you also to the men and women who serve as firefighters here and everywhere! God Bless you all!

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but not as dangerous as firefighters. At least not in lawrence.

To Goatdog and Lunacydetector:

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

janus, where there are drugs, there is danger. a family member of mine in Federal law enforcement got killed in the line of duty doing undercover work - it happened in a liberal bastion of the United States. if you check the top crime metros, the majority seem to be areas that voted for Kerry.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps it also goes to say that where there's crime, there's drugs. At any rate, equating liberalism to drugs is rediculous, and it's wholeheartedly rediculous to equate crime with liberalism. My guess is that if you took a really in-depth look at the people committing crimes, they would fit into that other 50%, the one that doesn't vote and doesn't care about political issues at all.

If you look at many of the places that, as a whole, voted for Kerry, you will find that they are large urban/metropolitian areas with high population density and very mixed populations, breeding grounds for violent crime. If you look at the opposite number, you will find mostly low density, suburban, homogenous populations, the places that, due to their makeup, have lower crime rates. Both political ideology and crime-rate are symptoms (seperate symptoms) of their population make-up and structure. Lawrence, however, is a smaller, low-density town that happens to have a college in it. It is, then, somewhat liberal (only, really, in comparison to the rest of the state) for an entirely different reason than the big cities (namely, the large intellectual, academic center).

And you're proof is having a family member killed? I would think it would be a mistake to draw conclusions based on a single case. Perhaps I should look at the Miller murder case here in town and assume church-goers and carpenters are murderers.

Were you being poetic calling me Janus, or was that just a typo?

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 7 months ago

LunacyDetector, I'm very much interested in hearing your hypotheses on why liberalism is conducive to a higher crime rate. I thought all kinds of people commit crimes, and this is the first time I've heard someone say something like that. Thanks a ton!

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Mister Joe. Anywhere our men and women try to prevent crime they are in danger. At times our officers are sometimes held to impossible standards. They must make life or death decisions, without time to ponder every possible scenario that could develop from their choice. They do this knowing their choice, right or wrong, will probably be disected and examined by lawyers and others with the sole intent of finding them at fault or at the very least negligent.

My grandfather died in uniform, preventing an escape from the Wyandotte County Jail in KCK. That was 30 years ago. Had the prisoner been injured as he tried to escape, he would still be suing and appealing, and my grandmother would still be waiting for that first pension check.

Fangorn 9 years, 7 months ago

Janus- the Roman god of gates and doors (ianua in Latin). He had two faces, one looking forward and one looking back, just as January is a time of looking forward to the new year and reflecting back on the year just ended. The door to his temple was always open while Rome was at war, and closed only when Rome was at peace. This is depicted on Roman coins, the vast majority of which, not surpriseingly, show an open door.

So, either you're two-faced or you left your door open! ;-)~ (Either that, or you're a centuries-old Roman god.)

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Fangorn: I was thinking more along the lines of being indecisive, looking forward and looking back, but that's an interesting interpretation as well. None of those seem to fit me, though, as I haven't left my door open.

I didn't know about the war/peace thing. What was the symbolism behind that?