Previous   Next

Do you think children are getting enough exercise?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on May 2, 2005

Browse the archives

“Probably not with all the electronic games out, but I guess it depends on the kid.”

“I would say no. They are watching too much TV and eating too much food. The parents need to motivate them by setting an example.”

“In general, no. I think they watch too much TV and play too many video games.”

“There are enough activities with school and so forth. I think they are getting out and away from the video games. At least I hope they are.”

Comments

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

macon_II: After your remark, I checked out my previous messages. I will have to celebrate -- I reached a total of 100 including yesterday's posts. However, 100 posts in 5 months does not make 10+ each and every day. It may seem that way to you but you have made it very obvious that you do not like my opinions. And you certainly have a right to say so. You also have a right to scroll past my posts. I had 10+ yesterday because I was unable to work. Also, you may live long enough to see your hopes fulfilled since I spent most of my yesterday having pre-cancer treatments.

I do not deliberately offend people, so I will make every effort to avoid responding to anything you post in the future, no matter how cruel or immature.

I wish you a happier life than you've had until now.

macon_II 8 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully, Ceallach will get into a serious car accident someday, suffer severe brain damage, and as a result, wind up in a permanent vegetative-state just like Teri Schaivo. Then the rest of us wouldn't have to endure the 10+ posts she makes here each and every day!!

2005 8 years, 11 months ago

Oh, c'mon now, Ceallach! How much more disingenuous can you possibly be?? You most definitely insinuated that "lonely guy" probably masturbates as a form of "excercise" in that post of yours.....and you know it! Oh, please! Basically, Larryville caught you being rude to someone else, and you decided to do a little backpedaling in your following post so as to appear "nicey-nice"! How lame of you! I see right through you...the B.S. artist that you are!

Seriously, you are soooo full of crap!

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Is everyone done arguing here now?

Next question please............

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

lonely_guy: It was a joke, and apparently a very poorly worded one at that!! Guess I need to use lots more hahas and smiley faces. I am truly surprised that so much more has been read into my remark that was ever intended. For all I know lonely_guy works out in some penitentiary yard, for all you know, I do :)

lonely_guy (and larryville) I do apologize for thinking you might be a little too fixated on the women pictured for the day. For the record, I do not think you are a friendless, homeless, mentally challenged person hanging around the library. Who ever you are, where ever you may be, I too look forward to your future posts.

jonas 8 years, 11 months ago

Goodness. Y'all were busy today.

No, kids don't excersise enough. It's not the parents fault, or societies fault, either.

. . . it's Stanley's fault.

Now, you may not know who Stanley is. Until you do, be sure the problem will continue to be unaddressed.

larryville 8 years, 11 months ago

Hey now, Ceallach! That passing/gratuitous remark you made about what Lonely Guy's excercise regimen is (or might be) was just a little bit uncalled for, I think. I don't know what his deal is, but maybe he is lonely? Maybe he's some homeless guy that checks in on this board from the library or something and he doesn't have any friends or whatever. Maybe he's got a low IQ or soemthing? Who knows? I just think that remarks like the one you made about him are not really necessary! Cut the guy some slack and maybe he'll post here more often and then maybe we can find out what his deal is.

Now I'm not trying to argue with you, okay? I've been posting here long enough that I think many people here know that I'm a normal guy, myself. I don't pick fights or start arguments. I'm just simply saying that if you don't know the guy personally and/or what he's all about, then cut him some slack. He hasn't said anything mean, nasty, or offensive to anyone here (yet), so I think we all owe it to him to let him open up a bit (if he wants to) and then we can see/read for ourselves what's what.

Thanks for listening! Good night, all!

P.S. Man, it's cold outside! It feels more like November than May!! I had some frost on my back lawn this morning when I let my dogs out at about 6 AM so that they could go to the bathroom! I was shocked!

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

sunflower_sue: Thanks for the suggestion! I signed up as soon as I read your post. Now I have to find something to give away first!

O_bob: lonely_guy's posts are all like that. There's only been a handful of them.... OK, maybe "handful" wasn't the best choice of words here.

Before my son was born, I ran 4 miles a day. I've really struggled to get back in the habit. I'm not sure I want to tell you what I had for supper. It was tasty. It just had very little nutritional value! Breakfast and lunch were healthy, though.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

Original_Bob: Don't be so hard on yourself. Should that wipe out your whole day? Nah, if you were perfect you'd have no goal! I quit smoking 4 times before I actually stopped :)

My dinner: potato soup and salad. Exercise: I took two walks, a short one for my old dog; then a longer one for my old bones.

I too hope to do better tomorrow.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Hey Original, I also picked spinach from the garden! Damn good! Wonder how many fatties had to eat pizza or wendy's.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

You know what... check that. Still smoked today. That makes it a bad day. It's funny that I generally eat great and exercise but all that is negated and then some because of the evil nicotine. Oh well, there's still tomorrow...

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Good call Ceallach...

I had salmon (good) with twice baked potato (pretty much bad) and salad that came straight from my garden (first harvest of the season!!!)(good) with feta cheese (good in small amounts). Didn't do the traditional exercise (running) but did work in the garden for a couple hours weeding and harvesting spinach, lettuce, and radishes.

Overall... should have went running but otherwise not too bad.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, that's the first real creepy posting I've seen here in a couple months.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

lonely_guy may be due an exemption -- I'm not sure I want to know about his exercise regimen.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

We have talked about exercise and good nutrition to the point of exhaustion. I think we should come back to this line tomorrow morning and add comments on what we had for dinner and recount our exercise for today. Not to debate, just to state. What do you think?

lonely_guy 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think Leslie Guffey is one terrific-looking girl! She has a really nice smile, don't you think? An Ivory girl kind of smile! I wonder if she is single? Does anyone here know Leslie personally? If so, is she Catholic? Oh, I guess that doesn't matter! If anyone here knows anything at all about Leslie, I'd appreciate the information! Thank you, and may God bless you, whoever you are!

simple_simon 8 years, 11 months ago

Welcome aboard, Mister GreenEyed Gay Man!

Many happy posting, my friend!

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

...speaking of burritos, i read a school in clovis, new mexico (that's located WITHIN the united states for the geographically challenged) was locked down and swat team brought in because some kid brought in a 30" burrito for a class project. .....those nutty school teachers, but THAT is another subject. at least the kid wasn't 5 years old and he didn't have to be handcuffed.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

P.S. I have yet to see Lunacy use either reason or accountability. I repeat: blame, flame, and complain. Thats all he's got in his arsenal.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

There's a gay man posting! I hope it sends all the uptighties fleeing for their lives. Tee hee....

Yes, I know a handful of gay men and yes, they are very body-conscious. But mostly I notice in the "hetero" wold that fat women are the butt (pun intended) of cruel jokes. How often do you hear someone say "Why is that guy with her? She is so fat!"? I hear that more often than "Why is that girl with him? He is such a porker!". If the media interprets us correctly than men want women to have giants boobs but no other extraneous fat anywahere else on their bodies. It is a lot of pressure I think. And than there are people like Lunacy who wanna take women back to the stone age. "Me Tarzan, you not work no more!"

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

oooooo the hatred.

i'm just using reason and accountability......

open your minds.

that's as far as i'll go to getting personal.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

P.S. When I said "image is everything", it should have been preceded by "In today's society".

Like many people, I think it's bad news burritos when magazines and T.V. tells us how to dress and how we should look!

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

Lunacy, are you kidding me? At this stage in the game women HAVE to be in the workforce. It's not just a healthy pasttime anymore! My lands... I didn't know people even debated women in the workforce anymore.

As for a comment I read earlier regarding men being immune to body image issues. [Carmenilla at 11.19am] "Fat men aren't as condemned as fat women?" Gimme a break. How many fags do you know? Image is everything, darlings. And superficiality knows no sexual boundaries. I'm a gay man and body type is an enormous criterion for dating. Almost every one of my friends either is or knows of at least ten "gym bunnies"... obsessed with shedding the pounds and bulking up.

Did I open the wrong can of worms all together? Perhaps I should bust out the Tupperware and save this comment for another post.

jt 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, you're right swamp rat! Guys (pigs) do need to keep their schlongs in their trousers--where it belongs--while they are at work!! ---Too bad Bill Clinton wasn't very good at doing that sort of thing!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

I totally agree with swamp rat! OINK OINK! Been happily married for 15 years and happy to let the other half bring home the bacon. He's no PIG though, and maybe that's why it's lasted 15 years. If I wanted to work, he'd say "whatever makes you happy, babe!" Maybe that's the problem...people don't care about what makes their partner happy. Now, say 200 times: "I am not a pig"

Richard Heckler 8 years, 11 months ago

Not too long ago grocercy chains decided that meals on the go would be their next target for the future...are they on target. My advice is cook from scratch often. Very few families always cook from scratch but often is good enough.

Be kind to your body and pretend that you have cancer everyday(think poor diets and no exercise). Your eating habits will change. Poor diets will not fight off cancer cells.

Little to no exercise is not good for the bones...osteoporosis.

I do agree with 5 small meals a day.

Becoming vegetarian as our family is still requires exercise to remain healthy.

You do not have to look like a model to be healthy but too much weight is hard on the heart and bones.

Watch out for that bad cholesterol.

Get the soda pop and junk food out of the public school vending machines. Go with waters and real juices. Too many granola bars have too many sweetners... I say stay with liquids. Otherwise send healthy snacks(fruit and carrots) with your children...certainly less expensive.

Moderation, plenty of water and exercise(walk,bike,swim,slow jog,dance) will keep you healthy.

Depressed? Don't eat...go swim, take a long walk, a slow jog or bike and talk to yourself or sing along the way. Sometimes this helps. Also art or wood shop projects can get you through times of depression.

Burger joints are for making money and bad cholesterol not healthy diets.

swamp_rat 8 years, 11 months ago

LooneyTunes, I think you are absolutely right! Maybe if all the women stayed home, more men would be able to keep their peckers in their pants and their women at home happy. What are you smoking?!! Can you spell PIG?

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Two things I've carefully avoided so far: spawning & getting married. Neither of which can be blamed on women in the workforce........

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

okay, because of the tremendous responses, i want to throw something else out there..... the problem of the high divorce rate.

what is the number one reason for divorce? money.

so THAT TOO comes down to the root of the problem....women in the workforce.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

So are they working to keep up with the Jones' or to get away from their children? Probably both, huh? And I think its safe to say that if the parents are jerks than the kids will often follow suit (not all). I realize how I naive I am to think that ALL people actually enjoy their children. Silly me!

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Hey Carm, yes I know a lot of women, whom are married that do not need the second income, but choose to work so that they don't have to spend the day with their bratty children. Truth be told, these kids probably only need attention from a parent.

ACG...it sounds like to me that your niece has a bigger problem than the eating. It's sad to see a young girl be so overweight. I can't imagine the teasing she gets at school.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

Fangorn: this is your opportunity to have deep philosophical conversations with your son. Within a short period of time that window will be closed. Seems we spend the first 2 years of our children's lives teaching them to walk and talk -- followed by the next 20 wishing they would sit still and be quiet. Although, with my girls, after about 21 or 22 they reached their apogees and ever so gradually we started walking and talking together again -- this time I am learning to listen :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Fanghorn, Try posting for a jogger stroller on "Freecycle". Someone gave one away last week. If you're not familiar w/ this website, they have a Lawrence chapter. Just type "freecycle" into your search engine. Great place that keeps lots of useful things out of landfills. (And out of the dusty corners of our garages)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

My understanding, is that the scholarships offered by parks-n-rec are for their programs only. When they do away with gymnastics for the older kids, I'm sure they are not going to pay for them to attend another institution. Fortunately, I can afford to send my gymnast somewhere else...not that I'm looking forward to it. The other places cost about double of what LPR charges and the quality at some (or all) places is not as high. I just really feel for the hundreds of kids who might get thier dreams squashed by politics and red tape. Sure, there are other ways to exercise, but wouldn't you rather do something that you love?

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

Right now, I'm a stay-at-home dad still looking for work. I completely understand the need for adult conversation. This forum is essentially the only adult interaction I get throughout the day, which is why I make "every third post" (as one person put it). I'd love to enroll my son in something, but I don't think the Lawrence Art Center has programs for 10-month-olds. And if I could find a used jogger stroller for sale, I'd probably have a smaller waistline. :)

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

A friend tells me there are even scholarships for most of the offerings at Sport 2 Sport.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

Geez! I take a few hours off to go to the doctor, not for my weight :) and all y'all are going wild. one_more_bob even got himself deleted!

I had periods of time when I was able to stay home with my children and times when I had to work. I always preferred the former to the latter. Being a stay at home mother is a full-time job. Most of the productive activities provided by a daycare facility can and should be part of the child/children's home care. One thing that always helped me with adult socialization was enrolling the children in occasional workshops, classes, etc. I had the opportunity to get to know other parents who had children with similar interests (although I'm not sure if they were the kids interests or ours). Either way, it was an enjoyable adult conversation time while we waited. (Scholarships are offered regularly for most classes at the Lawrence Art Center and Parks and Recreation.)

When I needed to work our activities differed, but still provided closeness. It's not rocket science, mostly just following your paternal instincts. I'm sure most parents understand what I am talking about.

I'm one woman, but I can honestly say, while I was not working I could disconnect with my professional training, but when I was working, I could never achieve that disconnection with my family and home. Some may consider me to have sold out but that all depends on the mind set you have bought into.

Not a problem for me today, my children are adults and my husband is deceased. I have to work, so I feel very lucky that I have a job I enjoy. I can get as involved as I like without feeling that I am shorting other obligations. Do not mean it to sound like a sob story at all, just a fact.

lovely1 8 years, 11 months ago

Sunflower, I read somewhere that Lawrence Parks and Rec has a scholarship program for families who cannot afford the sports fees.

yummy_for_my_tummy 8 years, 11 months ago

Yes, Carmenilla, women like the ones you've just described do exist!! (Whether some people accuse you of stereotyping or not!) --Just like Vietnamese people who eat fried cat!! :)

acg 8 years, 11 months ago

For those of you who insist that fat kids are always the fault of the parent, case in point, my niece. She's been taught healthy eating habits. She loves veggies, was fed them when she was very small. As she got older and started getting chubby her parents tried everything to instill in her the want and ability to eat right and exercise. Now this kid is 15, she's easily 100 lbs. overweight and nothing has worked. Fat camps? Nope! Shrinks? She refuses to talk to them at all. She sneaks out of her room at night and eats everything she can while her folks are asleep and hides the wrappers/containers under her bed. She sells her home packed lunches (or just plain throws them away) and buys crap at school and if she doesn't have money she'll borrow it from a friend (our kids have way more money on them than we did when we were kids). Nothing has helped. I've taken her to the hospital and had doctors talk to her about her heart and her frame, her bones and the pressure she's putting on them but she doesn't care at all! Her parents fault? I think not! Some people are just fat, dammit, and that's all there is to it. Ya'll have a nice day.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

TOB, good point about kickball, but still doesn't work for gymnastics.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

No, no....I'm trying not to laugh too hard here. I didn't even think of that correlation with my post. My bad! I was only saying that because O_Bob and Jayhawk were talking about adults having excuses for not excercising. I was giving a couple of examples besides walking....

But man, that was funny! Fat, temporarily! Ha ha!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Please don't blame Lawrence Parks and Rec and any other entity. Buy a soccer ball, call over their friends, and take them to a park and play kickball.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Carmelina, are you now urging our overwieght children to dance and have sex? I'm sure you're speaking of just the adults here, but sex has been known to make some women very fat...if only temporarily.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Carmenilla, I know for a fact that some women work to avoid their children. I'm also sure that your definition of a soccer mom is out there, too. But, I think you generalize. Let's get back to the topic. No, (and I'm generalizing) I don't think kids get enough exercise. I have two kids. One is a jumping bean and the other is a couch sloth. Genetics or child rearing obviously doesn't play a role in their behaviors. If Lawrence Parks and Rec. had a "Kickball" program, my couch sloth might get off the couch. Speaking of Parks and Rec., what will happen to the 1200 kids (I'm told) enrolled in the gymnastics program on Aug. 1st when KU kicks them out of Robinson Gymnasium? Will they become sloths also because LGA is overpriced for most families? Lawrence Parks and Rec doesn't seem to care about these kids. If they do, I'd sure like to be proven wrong! Please, anybody, prove me wrong.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

And diets don't really work either.

You can be slim and be unhealthy too! Just because you aren't overweight doesn't mean you are in perfect health.

Also, I find dancing and sex to be excellent ways to burn some calories! ;-)

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

hong kong - Right on. People have wrong perceptions about what exercise entails. People always see those idiots on tv selling expensive crap and that's what MUST be neccesary to be fit. Just throw on some comfortable shoes and explore your neighborhood and meet some of your neighbors.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

Hong-Kong is probably right...to stay healthy and/or fit, it does take a concerted effort to set aside some time. I know I'm terrible at taking care of myself physically by taking a walk...it seems so much easier to sit down in front of the TV.

Although, I am burning calories by laughing too, right?

I vow today I'm going to take a walk after dinner.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

jhwak226 - You were in perfect shape for insurance purposes. Some people can stay skinny and never work out... that's where this genetic argument comes in. Unforunately, people with bad genetics that are overweight believe they will always be fat and that just isn't true.

I'll never forget that one of them, Carmel, said to me, devoid of any awareness of the irony, "it's easy for you to stay slim, you run 10 miles a day!" i_tching.

Amazing, isn't it? People see fit people and everything is easy for them. If it's so easy, why don't they do it? Oh, I know; time, work, genetics, blah, bleh, blech, and so forth.

William_Rothgraeger 8 years, 11 months ago

What's wrong with married women choosing to work? Oh, that would make them bad mothers...

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

Man, you people are so freakin' extreme. It's either that the single parent has to work all day long in the mines, or they have to be training for a marthon. All it takes to start getting into shape is a minimum of 30 minutes, five days a week, of getting your heart rate elevated to an aerobic level and keeping it there. Nobody can honestly say that they can't find 30 friggin' minutes in a day. People who do say that are usually such poor managers of time it's astounding.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

Do you really think women choose to work to avoid their children? I think they choose to work because they have to! The only moms I know of that are shirking their duties of parenting are those "soccer moms" who don't work but send their children to daycare and preschool (and miss out on some of the best years) so that they can spend the day shopping for khaki pants and getting their helmet hair done. See now I am stereotyping. But they do exist.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Some working women have a choice, they work so that they can avoid being home with their children and so that they can keep up with the Jones'. Single parents really have no choice, unless they choose to do without a whole lot and live in poverty which is what welfare offers. Some simply don't care and will take what the system offers!

William_Rothgraeger 8 years, 11 months ago

thanx Carmenilla, :) . offtotheright, i agree, but how can we avoid "women in the workforce" unless we layoff all single mothers too? aye, doesn't make much sense.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

I am pretty sure Lunacy was talking about two parent homes and not single parent homes. What sense would it make to suggest that all single parents stop working and go on welfare?

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

Oh Lunacy just likes to blame, flame and complain. He would never support an inflated welfare system. He can't see that far ahead when he says things like: "the root of the problem is women in the workforce". Its so easy to say that when you don't think about all the deadbeat dads that have fathered babies and than walked away. Well, maybe its the women's fault because they let themselves get so fat. smirk

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

I live alone, eat ok, and never have time to workout or exercise...

...I just am lucky and have great metabolism.

I took a physical for a life insurance policy about 2 years ago and was rated in the best condition one can be in. This weekend I worked a lock-in with middle school kids and about died after playing basketball for 10 minutes. I'm skinny, but probably unconditioned.

Not sure what I'm doing for myself...but I haven't gained a pound in 4-5 years.

William_Rothgraeger 8 years, 11 months ago

I know this comment was posted a while ago, but is Lunacy willing to pay for inflated welfare for the millions of single mothers that are actually working to feed their kids? Since women are doing such a bad job keeping their kids trim, maybe the men should stay home and keep a better eye on their kids' diets.

i_tching 8 years, 11 months ago

Years ago I came upon two of my coworkers discussing their weight problems and faddish diets. At that time it was important to me to run and race regularly, up to the marathon distance.

Until school age, my child spent much time in a baby-jogger, and (s)he's quite active now. Schools do emphasize this, so I would not fault them. However, most working parents I know have little time for adequate exercise.

When the Bush regime pushes the price of gas up to about $5 per gallon, we are, as a society, likely to become generally slimmer.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

Excellent use of periods, offtotheright. I knew you had other punctuation in ya! Yes, parents are responsible for feeding their kids crap. Yes, they (we) must be good examples for eating habits. But we have moved so far away from the "sit-down dinner" its ridiculous. sarcasm Who has the time?

It is no wonder that people don't cook. Processed, packaged food is readily available so you don't have to chop or cook or spice things. Its pathetic. But our society loves convienience and the "quick fix". There will be no quick fix when this whole generation of kids becomes diabetic adults.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

I didn't attack your point. My point is that the parents are the ones taking their kids through the drive-through for 'fast-food', because they do not want to cook a meal at home. When a child is pre-driving age, the parents are responsible for what that child is eating. I guess after a kid gets his license and is able to drive to where ever they want to eat, parents really don't have a say. But if they learn 'healthy' early maybe they won't become a fat teenager!

BunE 8 years, 11 months ago

Off to the right you said: "It is a lot cheaper to plan and buy a weeks worth of groceries and cook a meal at home than it is to eat out. God forbid that the family might sit down at a table in their own dining room for a meal. They might have to have a conversation with each other.

When I grew up, we were at the table every night eating dinner, until we all became teen agers and were into sports. We always had a meal to come home to though. We didn't have cars, we walked to games and practices."

Your family did not take the easy way out. Of course people make the choice to do something, to go through a drive through or fix a meal as a family. But your family chose to slow down and enjoy life a bit. That is why you have some sense today.

I love it, you attack my point than prove it.

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Okay people............Can anyone guess who the angry ones in here are??????????

Geezzzzzzzzzzzz

jt 8 years, 11 months ago

"Confrontation"

...........Hmmmm...............

Now that's an interesting name!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

I have seen some people writing that as long as you are getting some exercise then it doesn't matter if you are heavy or not. The truth is, if you are exercising and eating properly (AND IN PROPER PROPORTIONS!) then you WILL NOT be a biggun'. Several people have mentioned that "thin people must be starving". Uh...no, they just don't cram their pie holes with as much food as their bellies can hold at one time. It's a little word I like to call "moderation". It means you only eat enough so that you are not hungry anymore. It means that you eat several small meals a day instead of three gigantic ones.

I believe that many adults do not have the foggiest clue about proper eating. For example, when I was a waiter in college, fat people used to come in and tell me that they were "on a diet". They would then proceed to order a bacon cheeseburger with extra bacon, a side of fries, oh, and a diet coke. Come on! No wonder you look like a barrel in the mirror!

Hugs_and_Kisses: I agree that seeing somebody's hairy butt is gross (whether they are fat or not). I also think that it's disgusting seeing all of these fat chicks walking around in mini-skirts and tight shirts with their fat bellies and stretch marks hanging over the skirt. Maybe the city commission can pass a ban against both!

Confrontation 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach is the only one making any sense. I think many of you are living in your own little stereotypical world. Everyone seems to think that an overweight parent is lazy, on food stamps, and doesn't want the best for his/her children. My mother, who was overweight, worked two jobs, didn't feed us McDonald's Hamburgers or candy bars (although maybe KNS's mom did), and she never called us degrading terms like "big fat toads" or "butterballs." She wanted kids without eating disorders or suicidal tendencies. The reason so many poor kids are overweight is not because they have too much fast food or soda (what really poor family can afford this?). More rich kids are the ones I see the most often being loaded out of their SUV's and into Burger King and Applebees. Poor children are often fed a high carb and high fat diet, since there is no other option. Has anyone seen the prices of fresh fruits and vegies? If a parent is making $8 per hour, try telling that parent to spend $3.50 on a pound of extra lean hamburger or the same for boneless chicken breasts. Wake up all of you spoiled people! You are only seeing through your middle-class or wealthy glasses. Can anyone explain why rich kids are overweight? All of a sudden it has to be the video games, because their parents MUST be providing healthy food.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

Man, just wait until all these fat kids get to college and pack the beer pounds on.

Woo doggie.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

OH BROTHER: 'We can blame the lack of exercise on the growth of the drive through'. Seriously? How about blaming the drive through on the parent that is driving the car through the drive through, ordering and paying for it?

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Am I being emphatic or nasty? Or does the truth hurt? Kids are not fat because of the kid. Kids are fat because of how the parent (man or woman or both) are feeding that kid or how they promote exercise. Period....

BunE 8 years, 11 months ago

We can blame the lack of exercise on the growth of the drive through. It has caused the expansion of the suburbs, the growth and domination of the car culture and created and emphasis on the ease of use. We drive to the store, to school, to the bank, sometimes just a couple of blocks.

We can blame the lack of good eating habits on the same thing. Drive things make it too easy to be unhealthy. Micky Ds gives us empty calories for prices that most of us cannot match at the grocery. The recipes of most dining establishment focus on snaring the people with easily un-natural taste that resonate with our brains to the detriment of our health. Once again, we take the easy way out.

We also must look at the agri-biz. Maximizing profits over quality, feeding cowparts to cows, using pesticides that stay in our foodchain and water sources, packaging that removes the nutrients from the food.. how can we prevail? Cheap food is sold off to the people that don't know any better. Can you afford to eat organically?

Lets look at the Woman in the work place. Anyone that wants to work should be able to, but the reason everybody that can be a wage earners is in the workplace is that the corporate control of our culture and the constant drive to maximize shareholder value rather than sustainability has crippled the United States, hi-jacked our health, environment and government and left us all at the mercy of huge multi-nationals that look at us all, man or woman, as commodities.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

There are all kinds of punctuation other than exclamation points. Or are you this emphatic and nasty in real life, offtotheright?

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

wichita_reader...have you provided your P's with grandkids yet? My mom is already talking up grandkids and I'm not even married yet.

I know she's going to spoil grandkids...but not me growing up. I guess I had my fun being spoiled by the grandparents earlier. I'm surprised I'm not overweight from all the garbage and junk food my grandparents used to sneak us.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

No..it isn't the schools fault, it's the lazy parents fault!

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

Hey LD and offtotheright, if you both weren't opposed to same-sex marriage I'd say you were a match made in heaven.

wichita_reader 8 years, 11 months ago

Many kids are lucky to eat at home, period, much less balanced meals.

Kudos to good parents, single, double, same-sex, whatever, and good schools and teachers.

My parents were both great. Mom worked part time, dad full time while we were young, and then both worked full time once we were able to cook and clean up after ourselves. I distinctly remember Mom and Dad always being ready for the school year to start, and it's no wonder after coaching baseball all summer, not to mention carting us around to camps, soccer games, swimming lessons, friends' houses, etc.

Of course, when we all moved out, Mom got the "empty nest" syndrome and started dropping the grandkid talk. Ha!

bleeding_flower 8 years, 11 months ago

So if I stay home how will we get food on our table and a roof over our head. I went the route of having a man "take care of me". Didn't work so well. Now I take care of myself and my son. I don't need the help of any one else. I wake up my son every morning and make him breakfast. We are at home together everynight to have dinner. I never work on Sunday's so we can have the whole day together. He is my whole world and why I do everything that I do.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

so now it's the schools to blame for fat kids...i can assure you most elementary students eat more balanced meals at school than they ever would at home.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

I did stay home for days on end with a three year old..it was joyous! Your kid is 3 years old...I don't think he/she is going to miss out on anything that isn't a neccesity! What he/she will miss out on is having it's mother at home!

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Kid now goes to school with a lunch box and not eating that crap they serve in the lunch room! 'pre-school' age, I stayed home and did not work. Gave up a lot of the extra's to be able to do that and must say it was well worth it!

bleeding_flower 8 years, 11 months ago

Do you stay at home all day for days on end talking care of a three year old?ok so when I had him I wasn't quite ready for a kid. I'll admit I was only 19 years old, but I wouldn't give him up for anything. Nobody else takes raises my child for me. He goes to a very good day care while I am at work and at school. I do this because I want my child to have everything I didn't have growing up. I work my ass off so he won't have to struggle thru life and school the way that I have. I hardly go out with my friends because after the week is over I don't have the energy to hang out and party like they do. So if my wanting to work is such a problem for sexiest pigs like you then go to hell

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't know which was worse... offtotheright's opinion or the fact that anyone engaged him so he had the opportunity to defend it. Good comedy, nonetheless. I'm actually cheering for offtotheright now because my coworkers and I have a bet to see how many people he drags down the hole with him. Silly co-workers aren't used to the LJW message board. I got the over 8.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Bleeding_flower....Why did you have a kid? "I couldn't stand to stay home all day and take care of him"? That is exactly what is wrong with society! Have a kid, let someone else raise it! Maybe you just weren't ready to become a parent. Staying home to raise a child doesn't mean that you have to give up having interaction with adults! Desparate Housewives is a tv show...actors, actresses...Do you really think that is what it is like to be a parent? I watch that program myself..it's entertainment....not real life!

bleeding_flower 8 years, 11 months ago

Lunacy: This is a different day and age. Now there are families with two women or two men. So does one man stay home and take care of the kids while the other man goes to work so he is the bread winner. I am sorry, as much as I love my son, I couldn't stand to stay home all day and take care of him. Going to work and to classes is my only interaction with adults. Have you seen Desperate Housewives. I would be as messed up as they are if I stayed home all day. (sorry this post is all over the place. when I get mad I can't seem to compose one complete thought

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

I agree with you lunacy! If it were possible I would be a full time parent! I would give up the new car, furniture, etc.....to be able to be a full time parent! But since I am the only one bringing home the bacon, I have to give up something more precious..time with the kid! I believe people are trying too damn hard to keep up with the Smiths and the Jones! I work because I have to!

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

ummmm.....like i said before, the root of the problem is women in the workforce. money gave women independence, but lack of more money for hubbie also excused women to get out of their marriage. hubbie would most likely be working longer hours and at greater pay if women weren't in the workforce. quota.

if women didn't have to work today to make ends meet, i think the majority of women would love to stay home with their kids. this is where i think the majority of women would agree with me.

as it stands now, women and men are not home to take care of or supervise their children. that, or there is only one parent taking care of their children. regardless of how many parents, most work then come home to their latchkey kids.

it used to be there was only one bread winner. is society, as a whole, better off now, that there are two?

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Ya...suck up those free medical cards! And on the way home from your free dental visit, stop at dillons and buy some pop and chips with your food stamps!

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

I have nothing but admiration for single parents, as I said before, male or female. I think it is great that you can and will do the extra work. My daughter does the same with her child. But have a little compassion for those caring for more than one child. Believe me, it's a whole new ballgame. I am not excusing the macdonalds or wendys meals. Fast food is more expensive than many healthy meal options.

Education will work better than condemnation. Some if not all of our local elementary schools have started banning fast food bag lunches being brought to students. Requiring the foods to be rewrapped and repackaged before they come to school. I also agree with the previous poster about the vending machines in schools. Maybe educating the educators should be our first step.

kathleen 8 years, 11 months ago

Oral Health is almost never addressed! Please take your children to the dentist. The state medicaid card pays for treatment. There are also low income clinics in the area. Just becasue you're poor doesn't mean you have to be a mess! Please, take care of your children's teeth.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

The Voluntary Human Extinction movement looks better every day.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

I am a single parent! I do the grocery shopping and I purchase what I want my kid to eat. She is there with me making decisions. It's not soda, and it isn't doritos and oreos! We don't eat at fast food joints. It isin't real food! People are lazy and don't want to spend the extra effort to cook at home! Bring the kid in the kitchen with you, have them be involved with the meal planning, shopping, and cooking instead of deciding 'mcdonalds or wendy's tonight'!

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

But its all the woman's fault, Ceallach ;-)

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

'mothers are the ones feeding their kids' -- does that mean the father is not in the home? Or is he in the home and passively eating whatever that woman of his brings home? While the first question is quite possible the second rarely, rarely, rarely occurs in the real world.

Single parent households, regardless of gender, have all the normal family challenges to meet and only half of the recommended staff. Many times the single status was not desired by the one left alone to parent, feed, stimulate and encourage the children. If you have not been in these parents' (mostly women) shoes you should back off a step or two. Chances are very few single parents have the time, money or energy to focus on their dimensions. They are trying to feed, clothe and educate their children. They do not have the luxury of trying the latest fads in diets or workout tapes.

Also, unless you have gone through it a few times yourself, don't try preaching/teaching about pregnancy.

Carmenilla 8 years, 11 months ago

Kids are not encouraged to excercise. P.E. programs across the country are being cut and we feed our children crap. Just because they are little and don't like veggies doesn't mean that McDonald's is the only way to go. I actually know parents who feed their kids fast food and make dinner for themselves, rather than fight about what their kids eat! We just have to stop being so darn lazy, folks. Our society is becoming increasingly toxic. Our country is very prosperous compared to most and we are wasteful with food and lazy when it comes to excercise. My family tries to park as far away from the store as possible when we go shopping out south. Those few extra steps can add up and it makes walking a way of life. I sort of hate our "gym mentality". What ever happened to walking for walking's sake? I mean I go to a gym but I would rather be outside walking. And I do. And I am not a small or thin woman but I take pride in the strength of my body.

Please don't blame women for any of this. This is a societal thing. Women (and many many men) have become emotional eaters and its because so many people are unhappy for other reasons. I find it depressing that being thin (over being healthy) is what people focus on. Most people will never look like the images we see in the media. Those people must be so hungry! Men have it quite a bit easier though. Society doesn't condemn fat men as it does fat women. Look at the callous remarks from some on this board. I think women look good with curves but all bodies are different. Its the cookie cutter mentality that leads a lot of women to either starve themselves or over eat.

We can only try and be good role models to our children. My kid has inherited her father's long and lean physique and super-fast metabolism, so she is lucky. She loves veggies and fruit and different ethnic foods. She was even a self-imposed vegetarian for a year. We love good food and so does she! Be daring and creative. Don't be scared to try new things.

We cook at home often and eat seasonal foods. My husband has commented that he probably never ate a truly ripe peach, pear, mango until he married me. If you never eat fruits and veggies than why would your kid want to?

We try and stay away from fast food as much as possible but I also believe the more taboo something is the more appealing it becomes. One trick I use is to make "egg McMuffins" at home. I use real cheese and real eggs. Its not the best thing in the world for you but at least I know what is going into it. You just have to find a balance, I guess.

Sorry to go on and on but this topic is close to my heart. I truly believe we are ruining our youth with poor diet and lack of excercise. Don't even get me started on TV and video games....

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

We should definitely slash PE budgets and cut PE teachers, while minimizing PE graduation requirements...

...that should definitely help this problem, right??!!??

bleeding_flower 8 years, 11 months ago

offtotheright: There are a few women like that I could give a few names. But that doesn't mean you can generalize all of us like that. Or else I would call all men fat lazy sarcastic sexist pigs. I may be over weight, but I won't let my son turn out like that. I don't keep candies, cakes, or potato chips in my house. (however I have a weakness for Mountain Dew so I hide that)

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

h_and_k, I agree...some men are hogs too! But in most cases (I said in most cases), mothers are the ones feeding their kids! Kids eat what ever is bought! Period. If a 'parent' eats healthy and is not overweight, you very rarely see an overweight kid in the family. A lot of women use being pregnant and giving birth to a child as an excuse! They have the kid and do nothing to loose the baby fat!

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

h_and_k, some of us of the male persuasion are as horrified as you at the bull chips that are getting tossed this morning.

hugs_and_kisses 8 years, 11 months ago

OMG, offtotheright! I cannot believe you just said that! "Most women are fat pigs"!!! Oh, sure! And what about the size and shape of most American males these days, huh??!! There are a lot of men that I see everyday with such big beer bellies that they look like they are about 8 and-a-half months pregnant! Sometimes when I see men that look like that, I want to walk over and ask them, "So, when is the baby due, Steve? It sure looks to me like it could be just about any day now!!" And what's more, is that speaking as a woman, there is nothing more offensive for a woman to see while standing in the checkout line at a supermarket than some guy wearing baggy jeans with a size 50 waist--and his hairy buttcheeks are poking out over the top of his jeans!! I think I can speak for every woman here on this board when I say to you, offto.........Now that's gross!!

Offtotheright, if your goal today was to say something on this board that would surely start a flame war between the sexes, well then, you have succeeded!!

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

"comrade in bobness" LOL!! That's funny!

My daughter gets a good amount of exercise, but I think she is an exception. She also eats a balanced diet and will usually choose water or milk over soda. My son is just learning to gum Cheerios to death, so his eating preferences aren't apparent yet.

I agree that parents bear primary responsibility for their children's health (diet, weight, activity habits, etc., obviously no parent can prevent all disease). Parents who never say "No" to anything their children want need to develop some backbone. Parenting isn't for wimps.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach, the "American" disease is taking hold in Europe. IIRC, there are couple of countries across the pond that have equaled our obesity rates. Certainly nothing to be proud of, but there it is.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Bart becomes addicted to junk food when a new vending machine is installed at Springfield Elementary. His steady diet of processed foods leads to a massive weight gain and health issues. When he's unable to stick to his prescribed low-fat diet, the Simpsons stage an intervention and ship Bart off to "Serenity Ranch - A Forced Starvation Facility," headed up by former food addict Tab Spangler (guest star Albert Brooks). While Spangler tries to help Bart overcome his obsession, Homer and Marge turn their home into a hostel for German travelers in order to pay for the costly Serenity Ranch.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

bleeding_flower - Bingo. As a parent you are helping your child be active. But the best part is that you've found something he likes to do. Just being active is 100x better than being a videogamepotatochipeatingcookie kid. People think exercise and that it means running 5 miles a day.

By the way, did anyone watch the Simpsons last night?

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

No, I do not think the average child or adult in our country is getting enough exercise. I add 'our country' because it certainly is not true worldwide. We gripe about gas prices then drive two blocks to the grocery store or a drive-thru for food.

The root of the problem may indeed be mothers. Each time I visit my mother, her hidden agenda seems to be making sure more of me leaves than arrived. Although I haven't seen my real mother since her grandchildren were born. The woman who had no trouble denying me sweets throughout my childhood, now seems unable to be around children without finding a way to fill them with some form of sugar. She's just like her mother!

William_Rothgraeger 8 years, 11 months ago

Oops... I guess Flower beat me to my comment by a couple mins. Well put...

William_Rothgraeger 8 years, 11 months ago

that makes sense, lunacy... then all the single-women households can just starve to death along with their psycologically-damaged little kids.

bleeding_flower 8 years, 11 months ago

Another comment: My son will choice broccoli anyday over a nice sugary cookie.

bleeding_flower 8 years, 11 months ago

lunacy: acutally I think that no women would agree with you. I can't believe that any women would agree with you. And if they do then that are just as backwards as you are. I am a single working mother struggling to go to school. I will admit that I am over weight (which I am trying to remedy also). I gained some after I left my sons father when I went thru a deep depression. However I have turned my life around and trying to make it better. My son and I go to the park every day or take a walk. I think that it is up to the parents to make sure their kids get plenty of excercise and I make sure my son does. He already has the body type to be a sturdy football player. But more than anything he loves to be outside with animals. Watching him chase birds in the park with a smile on his face is the best thing in the world.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

Take a look around! Most 'women' in society are fat pigs! Why would they care if their kid is fat also? Kids learn from their parents, 'mom is eating that bag of doritos, it must be good for me'. Don't buy the crap and your kid won't eat it. Pretty simple! I have friends that have fat kids and 'i don't understand why they lay around the house eating junk food, why don't they loose weight'? Uh...well mom, maybe because YOU too are 50 lbs overweight, and you are the one doing the grocery shopping. Kids will eat healthy if the healthy food is in the house! Give them one choice 'fruits and vegetables' for snacks, not oreos!

ksjhawk 8 years, 11 months ago

Women entered the workforce in early 1940's because of WWII. The goverment encouraged women to join the work force because most of the men were going to war. Therefore, you can blame the gov't and media for women entering the workforce and staying there. Kids aren't overweight because the mother works fulltime, kids are overweight because of lack of exercise, and to much fatty foods.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

So if we just keep 'em barefoot & pregnant everything will straighten itself out?

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

actually, i bet most women would agree with me.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

:-) "hope I didn't tick too many people off." As if the women will let that slide by.

You are BAD!

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

the root of the problem is women in the work force. if women didn't get into the workforce, the men of society would be the prime supporters of their family (just like the 1950's). to accomodate women, overall salaries had to be adjusted downward. now it takes both parents working just to pay the bills, and the children no longer have a parent to supervise.

hope i didn't tick too many people off. just a theory i came up with.........that kinda makes sense.

have a great day! let the flame wars begin.

Mister_Joe 8 years, 11 months ago

"Big fat toads".......LOL! Kind of harsh in tone, yet I have to admit, kind of funny too! (I admit it, I laughed at that one.) And with kns bringing up the subject of brown teeth, offtotheright added something to that subject that is sooo very true! Soda is awful for one's teeth. It's full of sugar, caffeine, and it does stain teeth!! I think all of them colas are the scourge of the planet, myself!! And Original Bob makes a good point too! I hate to say this folks, but very often you will find that fat parents equals fat kids. Now I'm not saying that that is the case 100% of the time, but most of the time that is true, and I think most of us here know that! Kids and parents need more excersise!

I thought I read somewhere recently that roughly 60% of Americans are considered overweight to some degree or another.--And that 60% includes children under the age of 18! So I think that there are lots and lots of people in this country that could and should put down that jumbo size bag of Doritos (which stains your teeth an unattractive shade of orange, by the way)...and they should go outside and take a nice, long walk to help burn some calories!

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

Phew, I'm so grateful I'm a slender 165-lb. 25 year-old male.

Must have been my parents being average weight, non-lazy, underworking, proper parenting parents.

Or...it could have been my genetic makeup passed down from my parents and the ability to make decisions for myself to go bike riding, have a homerun derby, shoot hoops until 10:30pm nightly, pickup games of tag football, sand volleyball matches, ghosts-in-the-graveyard and stuff like that with my good friends from the neighborhood.

acg 8 years, 11 months ago

I think it def. depends on the kid and the parents. Our kid gets a limited amount of video game/tv time per week and we never deviate from that. He has to earn that time, also, by doing his letters and numbers (he's only 5) or he gets no time at all. I will never let him sit on his butt and play video games when it's nice outside, unless he's sick. I don't understand parents at all. I especially don't understand fat parents. I went thru a phase where I battled my weight and it was awful. I hated the way I felt and looked and can't imagine not doing everything in my power to make sure my kids don't have to go thru that.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

Right on, Bob. As an aside, I'm only the original Bob because back when this site was unregistered, anyone could use your name and I always posted under "Bob". Jackholes would envariably post under my name and cause much strife. As always, registered boards are the way to go.

In Bobness We Trust.

one_more_bob 8 years, 11 months ago

What my comrade in bobness said, double.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 11 months ago

No. Don't blame the kids. Blame their overweight, lazy, overworking, underparenting, parents.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 11 months ago

GreenEyedBlues touched on this a bit. Men and women must realize that being in shape is healthy for the body and brain. It's not about being a male or female model although too often that's where the emphasis is placed. It's about eating more fruits,veggies,drinking plenty(lots) of water and getting some exercise. Exercise is cancer, heart disease and heart attack prevention.

Take the soda pop and junk food machines out of the schools. Serve more colorful food choices in the school lunches. It's the parents do to make the school board cdo this. Gym class should be mandatory until one graduates from public school.

Parents could take turns being outdoors supervising the children in the neighborhoods. Turn off the TV and cut back on video game time. Take family walks and bike rides...walk and ride to town on the city sidewalks.

Go to the merc or the juice stop for a veggie or fruit juice smoothie. If children of a very early age watch parents doing this it is more likely they will follow. Monkey see monkey do.

I believe that putting oxygen into your system through exercise is again considered cancer prevention. Let those kids ride their bikes to schools. We did frequently as well as walked. Let's cut neighborhood speeds to 25 mph to make life safer. Older kids have played in the neighborhood streets in all neighborhoods as far back as I can remember. If you want to make yards safer cut the pesticides.

offtotheright 8 years, 11 months ago

We don't eat fast food. When we do eat out its something somewhat healthy. As for the kids teeth rotting(KNS), I think it is from kids drinking cola. I don't buy it and we don't drink it. Only as a treat maybe once every couple of months. Cola ruins your teeth! I keep the video games in the basement family room, which seem to be forgotten about.

It isn't the kids' fault. Most of the parents these days are overweight themselves, which tells me the whole family is eating poorly because momma is too lazy to cook a healthy meal. And it is easier to simply get rid of a kid for a few hours on the video game then have to spend any type of time with them.

It's the parents fault that you see all of these fatties around!!!

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Some kids I would say a BIG " YES " to. My son has a friend he goes over to play with at times and he would rather sit in the house in front of the Playstation then be out in the sun running around.

Both my kids are involved in sports. My oldest plays baseball and has been playing since he was six. His team is practicing now and games begin at the end of the school year. My little one who is seven is in Tae Kwon-Do. He goes 3 nights a week to the Lawrence Tae Kwon-Do School and enjoys it. He competed on Saturday in Topeka and placed 1st in sparring and 2nd in forms. He does like his playstation, but is also limited to a 1/2 an hour per day.

I keep both of them involved in some type of sporting event so they get aren't lazy and it gives them great exercise.

Jillster 8 years, 11 months ago

When I was a kid, I didn't get as much exercise as I wanted to get. My mother was afraid to let me ride my bicycle around the block for fear someone would abduct me. She was nervous any time I went outside of the house to play...and this was in the 1970's, not now when abductions are making the headlines every day. She wouldn't let me try out for sports, either, because she was afraid I'd be hurt. PE class was a joke at school, so there wasn't enough exercise there on a daily basis to keep a kid fit...at least not until high school, when I started swimming (is that safe, or what. I'm surprised she wasn't afraid I'd drown). That was the only time in my life when I was not overweight.

While I'm sure that most kids are just glued to the TV, computer or the game console, I'm also sure there are some who aren't being let out of the house to bike, skate, run or walk, because their parents feel it's too dangerous for a kid to be outside alone or with their young friends, and they won't make the time to go outside to supervise them.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

I would definitely say that kids are not getting enough exercise. The majority of kids that I see are friggin' butterballs. I think that if kids are going to start getting back to what a normal kid should look like, then their parents have to slow down their lives and teach them about proper nutrition and make exercise a daily part of their lives. The world hasn't become that much more complex since I was a kid - we just make it that way. It's like we have to feel in a rush constantly...

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

Short answer: no. A better question would be: are ANY of us getting enough exercise? I think that the more conscientious we are, as adults, about our fitness [NOTE: NOT figure], the more apt children are to follow the lead and realize that working out, jogging, etc. isn't just for fat people and those that want to squeeze into those new jeans.

It takes a certain degree of finesse to emphasize the importance of physical fitness without giving children a complex regarding body image. It would do many girls good to know that "healthy" does not mean skipping two meals a day to skinny up for the prom.

As technology steadily strives to relieve us of our given workloads, the harder it is to get people to go back to the old method of doing things. How big do you suppose the market for dish draining racks is?

It is something of a concern that children who are born into a world of broadband, Tivo, and PCS phones are given so many conveniences that they bitch and moan when they have to get up and find the remote control.

kns 8 years, 11 months ago

No, not really! Most of the kids that I have come across in my daily travels (in both Lawrence and in northeastern Kansas) look like big fat toads!--And many of these big fat toads also have bad teeth, as well!!--And folks, hold on to your hats, because I'm talking about "Missouri Ozarks region, bad-kind-of-teeth!!!"--That's how bad these kids' teeth are! Eeeew! Now that's disgusting! There's nothing in this world quite like the look of a 10 year old kid with brown teeth and whose big belly looks like it's about to bust clean out of that way-too-tight striped t-shirt that he has on, let me tell ya!

Now, the question needs to be asked: are these kids fat and in dire need of dental care because they're poor? Oh, I'm sure! I mean, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that that is the case. Poor kids tend to eat relatively-inexpensive junk food (like candy bars and McDonald's hamburgers) and many of them have never seen the inside of a dentist's office because mom and/or dad is poor. This is both sad and unfortunate. So I would say that getting more excersise is only part of the solution for a whole lot of kids in Lawrence who are looking to become healthier. A healthier diet and a visit (or two) to the dentist would improve the overall health of many area kids as well!