Previous   Next

Why do you think Ann Coulter decided to speak in Lawrence?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on March 30, 2005

Browse the archives

“Probably because it’s a good way to reach out to the other side. I thought it was kind of silly when Howard Dean came here where he was already welcome.”

“I would say just to create a stir and get more publicity for herself. Especially with all these liberal college students around.”

“Maybe because she knew it would garner outside attention.”

“She just came to see what she could stir up. It’s a college town, and that makes it a good place to speak out.”

Comments

Scurvy 10 years ago

Mabey she came to KU to spread her beliefs about women rights:

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. In fact, in every presidential election since 1950 - except Goldwater in '64 - the Republican would have won, if only the men had voted." - [12] (http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,956452,00.html) May 17, 2003.

"I think [women] should be armed but should not [be allowed to] vote ... women have no capacity to understand how money is earned. They have a lot of ideas on how to spend it ... it's always more money on education, more money on child care, more money on day care." - Politically Incorrect, February 26, 2001.

Mabey she came to denounce terrorism:

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times building." - in a New York Observer interview (http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0ICQ/2002_August_26/94386624/p6/article.jhtml) August 26, 2002.

Mabey she came to talk about high profile issues like Social Security:

"Then there are the 22 million Americans on food stamps. And of course there are the 39 million greedy geezers collecting Social Security. The greatest generation rewarded itself with a pretty big meal." - WorldNetDaily, December 2, 2003.

Mabey she came to talk about the Bible or the Environment:

* "The ethic of conservation is the explicit abnegation of man's dominion over the Earth. The lower species are here for our use. God said so: Go forth, be fruitful, multiply, and rape the planet -- it's yours. That's our job: drilling, mining and stripping. Sweaters are the anti-Biblical view. Big gas-guzzling cars with phones and CD players and wet bars -- that's the Biblical view." - from her column "Oil Good; Democrats bad" (http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/coulter101300.asp) October 12, 2000

Mabey she came to talk about our strategy in Iraq:

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war." - National Review "We should invade their countries." (http://www.nationalreview.com/coulter/coulter091301.shtml) September 13, 2001

Scurvy 10 years ago

Oh, and all those out there who want to link liberalism with extremism by dropping the Howard Dean reference, you should check your facts. The man is a strict fiscal conservative. He believes in balancing the budget and providing health care to his constituents. He thought we should not be going to war with a country that had no WMD or WMD program (which he was 100% correct). Please tell me what about him is extreme, except for his scream.

lunacydetector 10 years ago

Actually Scurvy, I thoroughly enjoyed Howard Dean's historic "I had a scream" speech. But seriously, Howard Dean is a Marxist. Don't lump him in with us conservatives by erroneously claiming he is on our side. The Democratic Party is controlled by Marxists. Look up the Communist Manifesto some time. Your party is right there with them fulfilling their goals. It is a battle between good and evil, Howie said so himself, but I beg to differ with him on who is good. I think the Republicans are more caring for people than Democrats. Just look at the reaction from liberals regarding Terri Schiavo. most (liberals) wanted her dead. They wanted the mass murders to continue in Iraq (remember the 300,000 killed by Saddam?), then there is the abortion on demand dammit and all the way up until birth. That is skewed. Of course there is no death penalty for any murderers.

As for Ann Coulter - She is hilarious. She can slam with the best of them.

Ember 10 years ago

Who gives a rat's @ss about Ann? Honestly, who really cares and who just pays attention simply because they like seeing the muck stirred in this country?

Conservative and liberals alike are to blame for the state of this nation. They are both so wrapped up in proving that they are right and the other side is wrong that the country has been flushed and sent swirling.

Show me I'm wrong. Show me that neither side is claiming to know the right way to do things and that the other side hasn't a clue as to what needs to be done.

Until you can manage just that slight bit of proof, how about you work with your neighbor instead of vilifying him or her as be different from you, regardless as to how, and improve things, instead of sitting around and doing nothing but gripe about how the other side has made things so much worse.

We are all little sticks in the beaver dam that is obstructing the River of Progress. As my grandfather was fond of saying: One is as deep in the mire as the other is in the muck." And that is damned well the truth of the matter.

Byrne 10 years ago

Why? Because of the paycheck, obviously. Public speaking on that level is a nice gig, if you can swing it. Riling people up (and this thread'll be fun later, I'm sure) is just a bonus.

Jayhawk226 10 years ago

I think she actually gets turned on by pie-in-the-face and assumed a KU'er could definitely get the job done.

Guess she'll have to wait on that one until another speaking engagement...

lunacydetector 10 years ago

She's just one of the few token conservatives KU brought in so they don't seem insensitive to conservatives. If it was a liberal speaker with conservative hecklers, the liberals would be calling for the hecklers to be shot.

I thought liberals believed in free speech. I guess that only applies when Howeird Dean or John Edwards comes to town.

Fangorn 10 years ago

Jayhawk226- Having read Coulter's columns and books for several years, and after attending her speech last night, I must ask: what is the basis for your opinion? It simply seems irrational to me. The two clowns in Arizona last year missed with their pies, so how could Coulter know (or how could you know, for that matter) how "pie-in-the-face" would make her feel?

akuna 10 years ago

Because she got $25,000 and a chance to stir up controversy in the biggest liberel haven in Kansas. Duh.

If only I would take this chance to vent my frustrations with the conservative christian base that is ruining this country...

Jay_Z 10 years ago

Ann Coulter came to Lawrence to talk some SENSE into the wacked-out liberals in this town!!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years ago

I think she came because the tree-hugging, pot smoking, whiny, "give peace a chance" hippies need a good smacking.

The fact that she was heckled throughout goes to show that the same people mentioned above cannot stand to let someone of differing opinion express it freely.

adamwiz 10 years ago

It's unfortunate that 20% of the audience couldn't keep their mouths shut last night. I don't care if you're left-wing, right-wing, center, or apathetic, respect is respect, and there was a lack of it for the speaker last night. When Dean was in town, there were no obtrusive hecklers. When Clinton came into town, we didn't heckle him. All of us that disagree with both of these individuals did it with respect. We waited until the proper time. My thoughts after last night revolved around how embarrassed I was for the University of Kansas and the City of Lawrence because of a group of disrespectful attendees who couldn't wait for 35 minutes to get a chance to ask a question. It makes me wonder how some of these students got into KU, but then I have to look back at the history of this liberal university. At least the School of Business has the guts to bring in someone that differs from the status quo.

lunacydetector 10 years ago

Agreed Hong Kong Phooey. I saw two gay guys interviewed on Cable6 News. I don't think they were into the free speech thing. They were emotional wrecks. One looked like he would cry because Ann came to town and she called on some young Republican bucks to carry the hecklers out. He must've been disappointed because he was excluded? Who knows.

Jayhawk226 10 years ago

Easy fanghorn and Jay_Z...I had nothing to say bad about her and all I could think of were those two idiots, with poor aim, from U of A.

As far as turning her on, she probably thinks she's too smart for me anyway...I wouldn't get very far with her.

mrcairo 10 years ago

kns you've got it dude... but she's a republican, so I'm sure anything out of the ordinary or should we say anything fun, is against their Taliban like religious beliefs.

I wish she'd follow in the footsteps of Ronnie and start pooing her pants and babbling, the sooner the better.

neopolss 10 years ago

There is only one reason Ann came here - publicity. This woman is a traveling circus act and an embarassment to politics. Her speeches are nothing more than fluff and spin, joined with spite and hatred for all things liberal. Her opinions are poorly researched - her facts are often resonated with "liberals suck" as a last ditch effort.

When someone comes to town simply to whore themselves for money, and their speeches are designed with malice and hatred, why should there be any respect? Ann simply plays on your ignorance and your rivalry with the other fence in politics.

Everyone else who likes her simply thinks she's hot - and that's just sad.

People like Ann Coulter are not helping this nation.

Lunacy, you should know better than to join the liberal bashing regime. Free speech doesn't mean uninterrupted. And most importantly, should one choose to exercise their freedom of speech, they should be prepared for a rebuttal or heckle should the opinion be unfavorable.

Get me a respectable conservative speaker - this woman is a farce.

Larry 10 years ago

Is anyone actually surprised by the hecklers? Liberals cry about free speech until a conservative is on the platform - then they can't shut up long enough for one sentence.

Nice thought mrcairo! You're such a compassionate person. I'm hoping that your joking, but it is hard to tell via text. As much as I dislike President Clinton, I'm not over here hoping for his heart to give out.

akuna- you had your shot last night. Where were you? You could have ask Ann anything you wanted. Stop whining and show up to an event that gives you the opportunity to "vent your frustrations with the conservative Christian base".

Hi all - it has been awhile. I've been pretty busy. You know - working extra hours so I can pay all this darn taxes.

beethoven 10 years ago

Right on, Ember! I've hung out with a few hard-core right wingers AND extreme leftists these past several years, and have noticed many more similarities than differences. One of the first things either group does, is label ANYONE with just a few too many political differences as being "a bunch of extremists". The Irony of all this is hilarious! The funniest stuff I think I've read here, is the comment about Democrats being a bunch of Marxists. Talk about a party that has become so homogenized over the years; I've heard just about as much harsh criticism about the Demo's from leftist speakers, as I have from the right.

As well, I've seen people who otherwise care deeply about the environment, Women's rights, and the ill-side effects of Globalization ostracized by leftist groups for simply being too moderate or "not quite PC enough", or simply failing to cowtow to every minute piece of agenda necessary to belong to the "club".

As for Republicans, only a couple of folks here have pointed this out, so I'll mention it as well: There ARE members of the Republican party who DON'T LIKE people like Ann Coulter any more than they like the extreme leftists. Who are EMBARRASED that she's even associated with their party. A Republican does not necessarily a NEOCON make. A Democrat does not a LIBERAL make, at least by the one-size-fits all definition touted by some of the folks here.

As for me, I'm sure that my lack of interest in the kind of political ideals that sanction ostracization, random vilification of anyone who doesn't neatly fit in some kind of box, and outright incitement of non-deputized citizens to practice gestapo-style intimidation against others for simple VERBAL misbehavior (Whew!) etc. will make me unpopular with many of the people here.

awomack1 10 years ago

I remember when President Clinton spoke for the Dole Institute. He and Senator Dole did not simply mock the opposing political party for an extended period of time. Ann Coulter and Howard Dean do a disservice to political discourse. Moreover, from the quality of her comments about liberalism, the appropriate response from liberals in the audience would be heckiling. They were merely responding to mocking with mocking, which seems as the proper course. Just as any conservatives should feel obliged to heckle Howard Dean or Al Franken whenever they make incindiary statements that are void of meaning.

remember_username 10 years ago

I agree with many who posted regarding the speakers "honorarium". But that is the politics of the day, be it liberal or conservative. Politics is very big business. A tremendous amount of money is made and spent in this country on elections. Hecklers just encourage these "entertainers" - and that's ok, if it's part of the fun.

The problem is that rational people often take these political parasites seriously - that's very dangerious. Almost as dangerious as calling on participants to police the crowd. If I heard correctly she was really looking for trouble with that one and it could have gotten out of control fast.

indygirl 10 years ago

More power to Ann Coulter for having enough sass to speak about liberals. I wish she would make calls to department on campus and shut some of these left wing professors up! This country was founded on capitalism and why shouldn't she make money touring the country. Obviously, there are people that want to hear her and have enough respect to be quiet during her talk. Too bad a few immature brats weren't taught by their parents to let adults speak. It was an enjoyable evening even with liberals attending...maybe someone forgot to tell them that the 2004 election is over and we won!!!!!

Stephen Roberts 10 years ago

Neopolss,

remember_username 10 years ago

Howard Dean made an appearance in Lawrence and Ann Coulter made an appearance in Lawrence, thus it is fair comparing the two? Let's keep the pundits separate from the professional politicians (you can decide for yourself which is more worthless).

A more apt comparison would be Michael Moore and Ann Coulter or better yet Jon Stewart and Ann Coulter. (Now wouldn't it be something to see those latter two together?)

jonas 10 years ago

Politicians stink. Pundits stink worse. Don't listen to them.

If you want to know why she came into town, pull out your wallet and look inside. If you're fortunate, the answers sitting in there. She certainly isn't interested in helping to solve the problems that America faces right now.

What I can't understand is why someone would pay money to go listen to someone who would just enrage them, just so they could interrupt everyone else's enjoyment with asinine interjections. I'm not surprised, but I can't fathom the thought process. I have better things to buy with my money. Like beer!

By the way, when did liberalism and capitalism become mutually exclusive? Was it when we started believing pundits?

citizenx 10 years ago

Clearly there were far more conservatives than liberals attending, and the house was packed. Lawrence, while being a bastion of liberalism, really isn't. Is it just that every conservative came out last night? No!

The fact is, KU is full of conservatives and so is the rest of the country. And we all were--and are on this forum, consistently made to look really awful. Dems and Republicans alike. I think what a lot of people don't realize is that there were liberals listening to what she had to say--liberals who weren't heckling. And then making a determination about who she is and what America is quickly becoming all about, as well we should. Some conservatives were appalled at what happened last night--not at the hecklers per se, but about Ann's reaction and charge to the crowd. The thing is, most people are so myopic and stupid. The people right in front of us were the ones yelling 'POLE SMOKING FAGGOT' at liberals right behind us.

Something weird happenned there last night. To me personally. As three large, scruffy looking young men moved to physically confront the kids behind my row, I yelled to those guys--'it's not them. The people you want are up there', pointing to the balcony. I just bought into her insane ideology, hook line and sinker. What I wanted was for these scary people to get away from the people behind me. But what I ended up saying was--hey, it's ok to do violence to other people, just not these people right here. I will be feeling not-quite-right about that for awhile. The energy in that room made me panic and say that. And yeah, the hecklers should not have come and should have left. But I don't feel at all that it's ok to physically confront them. That was so weird for me. I felt totally helpless to stop what was happenning.

I think Ann was probably chuckling back in the green room with all the other millionaires about the riot she almost caused between all the plebes. She's evil! And her fans, well, the fans speak for themselves.

Carmenilla 10 years ago

I would love to see John Stewart take on Ann.

Ann Coulter is one of the least informed "pundits" out there. Her career is based on inflammatory sound bites that have no real merit. If you like someone that is into baiting "liberals" with falsehoods and sarcasm than Ann is yer she-male. Her tired rants about liberals being traitors to democracy only emphasize her inability to speak about what is really going on. If the world were as black and white as Ann Coulter says it is, we would be in the middle of a civil war. She incites people with her careless hate-filled rhetoric for the low cost of $25,000!!!! What a shame they couldn't get someone with real things to say, like, John McCain. To prove my point, go to collegehumor.com and search for Ann. She makes an ass of herself as she tries to bash Canada.

Jayhawk226 10 years ago

I was hoping to attend last night, but had class at the Edwards Campus.

I think now I'm glad I didn't go. I don't understand why she couldn't just speak and be heard.

I am a pretty strong moderate. I like to hear both sides of issues. I am so turned off by either side's fanatics.

Sounds like last night was an embarassment to the University of Kansas, Lawrence and the State of Kansas.

neopolss 10 years ago

======================================= "So I guess Howard Dean doesn't deserve respect either because he did the same thing. He came to Lawrence to "fire up" the democrats and get money for the DNC.

I just think it is a shame that it happended. I hope if some liberal person comes to town a bunch of conservative heckle that person. I guess I'm dreaming because Howeird Dean came to town but the only thing I heard was one guy with a sign across the street stating he supports President Bush. Unless I missed something."

=======================================

It's funny how the other side always assumes their behavior would be better. The masses react the same on both sides of the fence. The true sadness in it is that people would want to take Ann Coulter seriously. Don't fool yourself into believing that the Democratic or Republican platform are any different when it comes to the American people. Both parties have lost focus.

Did my post have anything to say with Howard Dean? If you are trying to affiliate me with a party by name dropping and inuendo, you need to step back. I'll have nothing to do with the current two party system, or their conquest to write their beliefs into the constitution.

And yes, Dean's a political party whore as well.

Carmenilla 10 years ago

If you read Lawrence.com's blog on Ann, you will see that the hecklers were not "liberals". The people that were disrupting her were local Anarchists. They admit to the heckling and say they were there for that purpose. So stop whining about those pesky liberals and see that Ann is a disengenuous rabble rouser with no love for anything but MONEY!!!!!

mr_daniels 10 years ago

Now for the umpteenth time...please marry me Annie, please on my knees I beg of you!

Warenence's widdle wefties tis time for your baff!

remember_username 10 years ago

Jayhawk226, I too like to hear both sides especially when debate is polite and respectful. When listening or reading Ann Coulter I have found her to be neither. I suspect she was trolling for trouble when she incited the participants to enteract with each other - an action that could only be interpreted as non-professional.

I would have much rather John McCain or Bob Dole were invited but it wasn't on my dime. I am truly worried by the urge of many Americans these days to polarize our issues and to get emotionally wrapped up in "us-and-them" behavior. Does anybody really want to go where this path will takes us?

Carmenilla 10 years ago

They are called implants. And almost all transgender people, such as Ann Coulter, get breast implants to maintain a more feminine appearance. But she hasn't had her Adam's apple removed yet.

acg 10 years ago

Wow, over 30 posts and not yet noon! JW knows what stirs up this crowd, for sure.

I personally can't stand Ann Coulter. She makes me want to puke because all she does is spout hate and tired rhetoric, but she does have the right to spout it. I don't think those that were heckling her last night should've even attended her speech if their whole purpose was to ruin it for the people who actually wanted to listen to her garbage. This is what makes America great. The fact that we all have opinions. Now if Ann would only shut up about hers, the world would be a more pleasant place.

Tolerford 10 years ago

Doesn't matter right or left. Anybody from either side who uses their energy to insult the opposition is aiming at lowest denominators and wasting that energy, whether it's Ann Colter or Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh or Ellen Goodman. The fault is with the idea you oppose, not with the person who espouses it. The only way to progress is to bring the approach back to an intelligent use of energy.

katethegreat 10 years ago

My friend went home and vomited after the speech. Seriously.

Ember 10 years ago

The truly amusing thing is that if one of the individuals attempting to silence the hecklers had actually touched anyone, Miss Ann would have been in court herself.

By inciting a riot, or verbally asking for the situation to occur, whether actually intended or not, she would have been guilty of solicitation of assault, as well as indifference to human life 3, which is very close to being a felony.

Frankly, I wish I had attended. I'd have started heckling the instant that she said a single thing about silencing anyone. The fastest way to shut anyone up is to slap them upside the head with a law or two, especially ones that are Constitutional in nature, be it state or federal.

simple_simon 10 years ago

Well, if your friend is as skinny as Ann Coulter is, then maybe your friend has an eating disorder like Ann Coulter does!

Frank_Lee_lowndes 10 years ago

Ya gotta love Ann. She makes both sides "think".. She doesn't allways stand for those in power.. She holds EVERY BODY accountable especially the idiots of this world. Now thats a FAIR woman. ( In every sense of the word!! :-)

mrcairo 10 years ago

Who Coulter Represents:

By Ron Hutcheson, Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Some of President Bush's supporters seem to be going overboard in their efforts to stifle dissent when he comes to town to talk about changing Social Security.

In Denver, three people were booted out of a presidential event last week even though they never uttered a peep, apparently because their car bore a bumper sticker denouncing the war in Iraq.

In Fargo, N.D., last month, local Republicans developed a blacklist of more than three dozen residents, including a city commissioner, who were to be banned from Bush's visit.

topflight 10 years ago

BECAUSE ONCE SHE GOT INTO TOWN. SHE WAS THE SMARTEST PERSON HERE.

DOWN WITH THE HIPPIES.

Carmenilla 10 years ago

I think Ann thinks she is the smartest person in town. She gets paid $25,000 to spout off her opinion which is not necessarily grounded in truth or logic. She incites people to be more polarized and hateful then they already are. Everyone debates about her for the next 24 hours (or more...this is Lawrence after all) and she walks away with the money and the publicity.

Carmenilla 10 years ago

Yah, Bob! I guess she's a big fan of the Grateful Dead. No, really, its documented. Maybe she was on "tour" with Dark Star Orchestra. They were in town last night, as well.

BunE 10 years ago

Ann Coulter is nasty. Very 1988.

She came to KU to get $25,000.00

Her intelligence is questionable. Her writing is very simple, set for mass consumption without to much substance. To those of you who don't like hecklers, perhaps the event should have been more like a Bush "Town Meeting" with dissent stomped out. Tickets from the GOP? I especially liked her call for College Republicans to tell the hecklers "what for" Very brownshirt Ms. Coulter.

Her beliefs and vitriol border on treason. It is clear that her time in Law School taught her nothing about the US Constitution nor the Judicial Process. I am pleased that she came to Lawrence though. Every time she speaks another person with some sort of free thought capability learns that her beliefs are built upon weakness and fear. Her inability to engage anyone who disagrees with her just reinforces her incompetance.

Her followers are small minded folk who are afraid and weak. They have to call names and use intimidation to flex their muscle...

A shame really.

tjwhatleys_stache 10 years ago

Liberal bashing day? If you think about it, the only reason Lawrence is "villified" as a liberal town is because it's surrounded by the uber-conservatives of Kansas and Muh-zer-ruh. One university does not a commune make.

As to Ann Coulter, yes, she's entitled to her opinion and to speak her mind freely. However, as someone in this forum pointed out, she is subject to ridicule for her words. Find me the world's smallest violin for the poor, defenseless millionaire pundit. I'm under the impression she believes only about half of what she says. But she's the monkey and her fans are grinding the organ.

PS. What's with her neck being about 8 feet long? The picture in the paper makes it look like she survives by eating leaves off trees. Like a scarf would have to be a twin bed sheet to cover the area.

beethoven 10 years ago

I love the comments comparing her to Clinton, Dean, and other visiting politicians. The problem is that even if I was 100% conservative, I STILL would never understand the comparison between those who actually work within the system (ie senators and current/former presidents) AND those who make their living as pundits. The Democrats did NOT come to town to spew hate. Their speeches were not filled to the brim with inflammatory comments about "the other side". Therefore, they were not heckled. Ann Coulter, a pundit, DID come to make as many vindictive goading comments as possible, and therefore she got heckled. Some of her supporters added to the fire with some of their own vitrol, including anti-gay slurs. The last time I was made aware of a phenomenon like this was when Phelps came to town with HIS supporters. It also reminded me of things I read about early Nazi rallys from 70 years ago.

jayhawktownie 10 years ago

people like ann coulter only inhibit legitimate progress in this country and in the world. she is entitled to her opinion but instead of recognizing that there may be other valid opinions, she encourages people to take sides and acts like those who disagree with her are completely irrational. For the most part, i do not agree with her ideas but that is not my main problem with her. Her idiocy exists in the way she expresses her opinions and "engages" her opponents. Neither side should listen to voices like her's because it does nothing but drive people apart.

lunacydetector 10 years ago

JOURNAL WORLD MAKES DRUDGE REPORT....AGAIN!!!!

gadflyparexcellence 10 years ago

It's a sad commnetary on America that college students should be lining up to hear the kind of nonsense that Ann Coulter has to utter. Her ideas or thoughts or whatever you call them do not stand on their merit but rests on spewing relentless extreme views and tirades(almost Talibanisque) against Democrats and liberals. It's doubly distressing and disconcerting that one can be paid $20K or more for simply mouthing garbage.

Belive me, I've many conservative friends. They find it frightening that people like Ann Coulter would like to turn America back to the stone age!

Fangorn 10 years ago

On campuses across America conservatives are mocked by their professors, graded on an ideological scale, denied permission to form student organizations, have their speakers "uninvited" by their universities when leftists whine about it, and have entire prints of their newspapers stolen by people who simply don't have the courage to engage their ideas. BunE's comment about "small minded folk who are afraid and weak...[and] have to call names and use intimidation to flex their muscle" describes much of what passes for political discourse on the Left today. Especially on our campuses, the left-wing is the current master of censorship. And if the juveniles in the balcony were there only to disrupt Coulter, why did they continue to call out and heckle when I had the microphone and was trying to ask a question? They didn't need to be in the "Sexual Reorientation" seminar, as Ann suggested. What they needed was "Open-mindedness for Beginners" or "The First Amendment: Not Just for Liberals Anymore".

I am one conservative who is quite happy to have someone like Ann Coulter on our side. The right-wing has been mocked and vilified outrageously for years by some on the left (James Carville comes to mind). It's good to have a conservative who is not afraid to hit back. It may not be "nice", but it is enjoyable to watch people who like to dish it out squirm and cry when it's thrown right back at them.

Fangorn 10 years ago

Post-script: What is it with liberals and pies? As Coulter spoke at KU last night, Bill Kristol was hit with a pie by a student as he spoke at a college in Indiana. Following up on my point above, when was the last time you heard of a liberal speaker being treated thusly by conservative students?

jonas 10 years ago

Fangorn: Doesn't it seem, though, that if neither side is willing to take the high road, then it's just going to continue to degrade? Filth is filth, despite the source, and whether the "other side" engaged in it previously as well.

Out of curiosity, do you, or does anyone, have any hard examples of the anti-conservative idea showing up at KU? As opposed to simple hearsay. I've been attending class at KU for 7 years now, and have never encountered anything close to what you described. I've had a few teachers who espoused leftist views, and I've had a few doing the same on the right side of the isle. Almost equal, which would seem interesting since I've primarily attended classes in the school of LIBERAL arts and sciences. For the vast majority, though, political indoctrination of one sort or another has simply not existed.

jonas 10 years ago

As a half-serious response to your post-script, perhaps it's because conservative ideology stresses to some extent not doing anything out of the ordinary, whereas liberalism is often about taking risks.

(Or perhaps it's because far less conservatives, for one reason or another, would even go to a speech or presentation given by someone that they disagreed with)

Curious 10 years ago

Because she is a speaker, someone asked her, and she had an open date on her calendar. Duh!

Fangorn 10 years ago

Actually, Jonas, I think your "half-serious" response may be pretty accurate. Conservatives do tend to take a more subdued approach (last night's speaker being a notable exception!).

[btw, weren't you getting married this year? Or has that already happened?]

kskris 10 years ago

I am so tired of people assuming that all Democrats are "liberals" or "extremistists", don't people realize this is part of the GOP plan? and might I add it has worked with great success. Why isn't this woman demonstrating the "Christian values" that the GOP use as their base? Nothing that woman said represented a true Christain opinion. Not one word. I feel so sorry for someone who is so full of hate and who is so close minded. Judgement is mine says the lord, and I really will be praying for this womans soul; base on her comments, she needs it.

Fangorn 10 years ago

kskris- The GOP has held a majority in the house for 10 years (and 8 of the last 10 in the Senate) and they still haven't figured out that they're in charge now. Do you really believe that the GOP is smart enough to have a "plan"? To paraphrase Will Rogers: I'm not a member of an organized political party. I'm a Republican." And although I know quite a few conservative Democrats (I grew up in Nebraska, after all) and some very thoughtful liberals, I can see why many would broad-brush Democrats as extremists: did you happen to notice the new chairman of the DNC?