Previous   Next

What is your opinion of beauty pageants?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 28, 2005

Browse the archives

“I think they are OK if you are into them, but some of the categories are kind of trivial.”

“They are fun to watch, because there are beautiful women in them. If they want more respect, they should allow both men and women to compete and select the most talented.”

“I think they are pretty frivolous. Something from a bygone era.”

“I think they are overrated. I don’t think you can compare beauty, and besides, they always ask them really stupid questions.”

Comments

Rondanaro 5 years, 6 months ago

I have personally seen pictures of child beauty pageants on Google Images, and I have to say, the images made me physically ill.Little girls not older than ten slathered in make-up and primped up like pretty dolls for the amusement of pedophiliac judges. Little Miss Universe teens strutting around like their Christ on a cracker, already certain that their looks are all they have to count on. These pageants don't 'Glorify beauty' or 'Celebrate the people' or any of that crap. It breeds sluts.

jonas 9 years ago

Curious: That's the point of eye candy, to just see it, admire it, and not think about it anymore. For a year and a half I worked at the Total gas station just down the street from GSP/Corbin, and it was a dream come true. They came in, I watched, talked for 30 seconds, and they left.

Am I a pig, probably. But what the hell. Aren't we all, in the end.

You too, Lulu.

Not that you're real.

Curious 9 years ago

It must be true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Knowing that those "ladies" are about half original or real. Knowing that their "handlers" work for years to find and groom (it takes a lot of time to remake someone from the inside out) a winner - kind of like a race horse. Watching and realizing the judges must have a different criteria for "beauty" than I do. I am not interested any more.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years ago

First, beauty pageants. I like them for all the reasons that Lulu mentioned - a bunch of totally hot women parading across the stage in skimpy outfits. God bless the USA!

Second, a convention center in Lawrence is an absolutely HORRIBLE idea. Man, people just seem to totally overestimate the value and appeal of Lawrence (as evidenced by the cost of living). It's a college town with an old downtown. That's it. Oh, sorry, I meant "historic" downtown...

Kline 9 years ago

How about a national beauty contest at a new convention center/hotel?

Lulu, you should be all for a beauty contest. If it wasn't for beauty, there wouldn't be electrolysis, and I have a hunch you are the type who would need some electrolysis on occasion.

penguin 9 years ago

just a note to jayhawk226...you cant smoke inside the restaurants and bars of NYC or Boston, but both seem to be doing ok business.

However I do have to agree a convention center sounds like a horrible idea.

steph1 9 years ago

I will have to agree with kns. Women should not have to be judged against those standards. Beauty contests are very old fashioned and I agree they were set up by the male chauvenistic pigs of the olden days who didn't respect the woman they had in their lives. I am beautiful but I don't have to flaunt it in front of millions of men to prove it.

mr_daniels 9 years ago

Why is it that when the Liberal Left holds a beauty contest that their men win?

kns 9 years ago

Well, the people who run these pageants--and the contestants in them--can talk about "inner beauty" and "what's inside" all they want.....but in the end, it's all about looks. Who's the thinnest, who has the nicest-looking rack, and who is the most beautiful. Period. Now does that sound like a very positive thing for young/impressionable girls to aspire to? I don't think so.

Jayhawk226 9 years ago

To have a successful convention center, you must be able to sell ideas of what to do outside the actual convention...and Lawrence just doesn't have that.

Most people are not solely interested in attending the convention's meetings as they are having fun in the evening and day hours.

It would also be in awful proximity to an airport.

Most likely the convention center would not flourish and one would have to assume just use the existing facilities in/around Lawrence.

Oh, and try selling the idea of not being able to smoke inside the restaurants/bars...sounds like the cha-ching, cha-ching will continue to head to Vegas, Chicago and NYC.

acg 9 years ago

One of my best friends is an ex beauty queen. She never felt oppressed, especially when she was cashing those checks or using those scholarships to finish her degree. Lulu, stop being a moron and stop thinking you can speak for all women. And stop misspelling the word woman/women. It's way too annoying for a Monday a.m.

lunacydetector 9 years ago

The big hitters in Lawrence don't want to take any risk. A convention center will need more hotel rooms nearby. These hotels will need to be nicer and higher priced. Is Lawrence big enough for more rooms and higher prices? The hotels will need to be centered around a convention center. The way the hotels set now, they are too far apart. This also rules out the downtown as a convention center location. There wouldn't be enough driveby traffic or ground to put more hotels or convention center. Then there is KU - surely they would not want the competition against their meeting facilities. Naturally, they will want to protect their turf. They could probably find at least one rich alum to build a big hotel on their campus, to ward off any new local competition. Just like the mob protecting their turf.

Regardless, the downtown should not be the place for a convention center.

As for the beauty contest question, who cares?

drugdealer 9 years ago

The only reason why you think they scream oppression Lulu is because your ugly and you could never be in one. The women in the contest aren't forced into anything, they choose to do it. Ask them if they feel discriminated against, guarantee they would say no.

Richard Heckler 9 years ago

You go Wendy.

locations in the city to have large meeting such as the KU union,holidome,liberty hall etc. etc. Dolph also believes the taxpayers should fund the project with bonds. If Dolph Simon thinks this is a great idea my suggestion is that he build it and take the risk.

Lulu 9 years ago

Beauty contests scream opression. The way the womyn parade down like a 4-H livestock contest.

Beauty contests are degrading toward womyn. They are a contest with one winner and 49 losers. No womyn win! They are set up for the entertainment of the male chauvenist neanderthal pigs!

It is time for equality for all. Beauty contests discriminate against womyn. They are very wrong.