Previous   Next

Do you think it’s necessary for dispatchers to be able to trace 911 hang-up calls from cell phones?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on March 22, 2005

Browse the archives

“I don’t have a problem with it. If you haven’t done anything wrong, then there is nothing to worry about.”

“Sure. If it’s an actual emergency they can get them help, and if not, they can catch the person doing it.”

“I don’t see why that would be a bad thing in the context of 911 calls.”

“Yeah, because if it’s an emergency, they should be able to figure out where you’re calling from.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 10 months ago

You bet...what if a rapist forced the person to hang up?

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

If I ever lost my voice but am still capable of making a 911 call...I would sure hope to god the county has the technology necessary to trace/locate me to provide assistance.

I forgot if it was here in the Kansas area or Chicago metropolitan area, that the "so-called tracing technology" did not even work and was unable to initially provide assistance. I think it was for a woman who may have been carjacked or kidnapped--really can't recall.

Either way, large benefit...just hope it actually works!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 10 months ago

Extreme- what if you are not from the area and you're just in town for the weekend. You go out and while driving, you unwittingly "cut off" the wrong person(s). They begin chasing you all over town. Are you really going to risk getting out of your vehicle to find a "hard wired" phone? Are you going to be capable of telling the dispatchers where you are when you're panicking and unfamiliar with the territory?

just a thought...

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

Great point Hong Kong...

...and hits home directly!

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

The "right person" realizes it's a stupid driving mistake and can reasonably accept it as such.

The "wrong person" overreacts and tends to shoot people or attempt to run them down, as if we live in an uncivilized, backwards society.

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Yep, we need GPS locators in cell phones - ALL problems solved! It would also help parents manage their kids - that's right, manage kids. A novel concept - and long overdue!