Previous   Next

Which street in Lawrence do you think is the most dangerous to drive on?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 3, 2005

Browse the archives

“Probably Tennessee or Kentucky, because people turn from the far lane and end up running into you.”

“Twenty-third Street, no doubt. The amount of traffic and people never obeying the lights make it the most dangerous street.”

“I think Sixth Street is the worst, because of people swerving to avoid potholes and running red lights.”

“Missouri, because college students race up and down it at terrifying speeds, threatening the lives of dogs, children and old ladies.”

Comments

Punkin 10 years, 4 months ago

My closest calls have definately come on Tennessee.

It's not intended to be a main thoroughfare; it's a residental street, at the southern end. Yet everyone drives it and most go way too fast.

The cross streets at 22nd, 21st, 19th, are the worst--i see people blow through those stop signs all the time.

I live in the neighborhood, and we have virually no sidewalks. Folks walk along Tennessee. It's risky.

I wish they'd put in some speed bumps and sidewalks on Tennessee, and make people drive through on Mass.

Huckleberry 10 years, 4 months ago

The absolute worst spot is Lawrence Avenue between 9th and Harvard. The street is way too narrow to curve the way it does with cars parked on both sides. Anybody agree?

Jayhawk226 10 years, 4 months ago

A PA system installed in cars would be a great idea...

...I would have a lot of fun with that one for sure!

Au_contraire 10 years, 4 months ago

This whole 'four-way-stop' situation has me puzzled. Perhaps the city should send out instructions on how to use these things.

Au_contraire 10 years, 4 months ago

Whenever I drive through there (usually heading south), I sit up high as I can in the driver's seat, say a little prayer, and hope for the best. It is a challenge, for sure.

Jayhawk226 10 years, 4 months ago

Oh man, for me it's the K-10 extension through the southern part of Lawrence...

...oh wait, forgive me....it's NOT THERE!

madcow 10 years, 4 months ago

right now, it is 23rd street.

there is just too much traffic there. i am stuck driving from pearson all the way over to west lawrence every day. it takes me forever to get to work.

most of the traffic could be relieved with the sw trafficway... but that will never happen.

Kyle Rohde 10 years, 4 months ago

31st Street seems to have become the unofficial SW Trafficway, head over there during rush hour and see how many cars are at the 4 way stop at Louisiana.

happycamper 10 years, 4 months ago

No street is dangerous. The lousy drivers and those people who think they should be able to drive across town in 5 minutes are dangerous. If the drivers would follow the rules of the road, there would be few problems or accidents. Lawrence is not a small rural town. 23rd, Iowa, and 6th streets are nothing compared to what you have to deal with in Kansas City, or worse New York or LA.

Jayhawk226 10 years, 4 months ago

happycamper--

The only way I can refute your argument is that in the larger metropolitan areas like NYC, LA, Chicago etc. have people that actually DO KNOW how to drive (when traffic is actually moving), in all forms of weather elements--though overly-aggressive and/or overly-defensive.

Lawrence is a small, rural town compared to those larger metropolitan areas...and my blood pressure rises more trying to get through Lawrence in a 4 x 4 mile proximity than it does travelling 45 miles one-way in Chicago.

Lawrence is a road-rager's nightmare waiting to happen. And throw the mix of drinking college residents into this mix...oh god, no wonder my insurance rates went down when I moved to Johnson County.

italianprincess 10 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence is a big as the city I came from in Cali.

I have to agree with happycamper on this one here.

People need to slow down a bit and watch what they are doing. I see to many people chatting on the phone and not watching the road which is an accident waiting to happen. I won't even go into the ones who let their dogs sit on the laps as they try to drive.

I want a PA system in my car so I can tell the crazy non-paying any attention to the road drivers off. Maybe that would wake them up some.

Linda Aikins 10 years, 4 months ago

Your rates lowered in Johnson County? I live in Lawrence and work in Kansas City. I would love it if the JoCo and Missouri drivers were one-tenth as polite as the Lawrence drivers. Did you know that if your vehicle costs more than $20,000, you actually DO own the road? That means no turn signals are required, and you can cut off anyone you want with no notice because they are lesser people and don't deserve politeness.

My drive is lengthened almost every day both ways because of accidents on 435 and K-10. I have to listen to the comedy channel to keep from exploding.

Don't be a bumper bully!!!!

Jayhawk226 10 years, 4 months ago

Posted by Gootsie on March 3 at 3:19 p.m.

And with all-due respect...JoCo and Missouri drivers are wimps compared to what I'm used to. But, that's also not a bad thing. My quality-of-life seems to have improved so much since moving here from Chicago and my commute time is down to a 1/4 of what it used to be.

P.S. Great Kansas day...from 66 degrees to stormy 40s! Ah, spring in Kansas! ; )

Richard Heckler 10 years, 4 months ago

23rd and 31st relief:

As you are returning from the KC/JOCO area watch for the 1057 interchange(1900rd/1057). Go south to 458(1000rd). Turn right/west to 59 Hwy. Turn right on 59Hwy/Iowa to the bridge to nowhere(10-12 minutes) to 31st and Iowa(12-15 minutes) at 55 mph. Far more relaxing and scenic. 1057 interchange is also bridge number 1057.

Enjoy