Previous   Next

Should Kansas University replace Allen Fieldhouse with a new and bigger arena?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on March 2, 2005

Browse the archives

“I think Allen Fieldhouse is just fine. It can hold plenty of people and has a lot of history behind it.”

“I’m of two minds on the issue. There is too much going for both sides. I would hate to be the one to have to make that decision.”

“No, I don’t so. It’s a tradition around here for the fan base, and I think it would be completely different if they changed it. It really is an institution.”

“Yes. I’ve heard everyone talk about how it’s too small and none of the seats are really that good. So yes, I think so.”

Comments

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 10 years, 2 months ago

Imagine a brand new sports complex in Lawrence with a catchy name like "The H&R Block Center" or "The Bank of America Arena." Frightening, isn't it?

italianprincess 10 years, 2 months ago

Maybe just a bit of a face lift is all it needs.

Jayhawk226 10 years, 2 months ago

As a lifelong Cubs fan...

...I proudly can say Allen Fieldhouse is the Wrigley Field of basketball!

It can always use adjustments and upkeep, but heaven's no....DO NOT TOUCH THAT CATHEDRAL!!!

jayhawktownie 10 years, 2 months ago

This topic should not even be talked about until the Fieldhouse pulls a Kingdome and pieces of the ceiling start falling on people. As long as it is structurally safe, it should be untouched.

Jayhawk226 10 years, 2 months ago

i've been in town about 7 years now, plenty time to realize some hicks need educating...and I hope my "big city" influence will convert some over!

as for allen fieldhouse...sacred; hands off!

Au_contraire 10 years, 2 months ago

Only if Dolph can get Gehry to wave his hands in the air.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years, 2 months ago

I tell you what, 'they' would have to be crazy to replace Allen Fieldhouse. It is by far the biggest, singular, home-court advantage in the modern age. The impressiveness of the White House pales in comparison to being in the Fieldhouse during a haunting rendition of the Rock Chalk chant! Aside from the sheer emotional impact the fieldhouse makes, let's take a look at it's statistics - rather, one statistic. Allen Fieldhouse is the largest basketball arena in the Big 12! Oklahoma State's arena is the second largest and it has about 3,000 fewer seats. Get rid of the Fieldhouse?? Heck no!! Instead, put in some air conditioning!

Huckleberry 10 years, 2 months ago

Weather or not the Fieldhouse should be replaced is not even an issue. Hopefully that will never happen in any of our lifetimes. But it can be improved. I don't think the ceiling will support a brand new video scoreboard, but I don't see why we can't install a video screen on the North and South ends. Plus, I kind of like the old, crappy, missing-lights scoreboard.

Adam 10 years, 2 months ago

A new arena will only be built OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!!!!

wichita_reader 10 years, 2 months ago

I've been to a few games at Allen, and I went to the KU/OU game at Lloyd Noble last week. Although the game was disappointing, the arena wasn't. But, like Christy K says above, Lloyd Noble doesn't hold a candle to Allen Fieldhouse. The huge concourses, and shiny, bright lights and video and scoreboards are nice, but you can't recreat the historical and traditional beauty KU has in Allen.

Like someone mentioned above, would the Rock Chalk chant be as hollowed in a new arena? Would the Phog migrate to the new arena?

For the love of God--NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

kansas 10 years, 2 months ago

Okay, I just read the article about the Allen Fieldhouse, and my impression is that multi-million dollar improvements will be made to the Fieldhouse.....but that the Fieldhouse itself isn't going anywhere any time soon.

So why is the LJ World even bothering to ask such a moot/pointless question??

Christy_K 10 years, 2 months ago

The answer is no, in my opinion, not unless the building is a safety hazard or structurally unsound. Look what happened to K-state and will happen to Mizzou. They have built new arenas and all the life from their programs has faded. New fashioned arenas take away from the atmosphere of college ball (that's why pro games never have the same energy or spirit as college ball). If you want a cushy seat, stay at home.

KU has the best arena of all the one's I've seen. Kentucky's Rupp arena is so huge that if you have high up seats you might as well stay home. I unfortunately live in OU territory now, and let me tell you Lloyd Noble Arena can't hold a candle to Allen Field house. Of course the fans who fill the arena are the most important piece but it's hard to get in the mood when the setting just isn't right. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

redbird 10 years, 2 months ago

I have to agree with not replacing a building like this.It is a great building,a little too small for most people,but one that has it's own character.I have to agree with Warren Corman,with a little and continuing maintenance,this building should last our life time and others,but it will need some improvements to keep it this way....windows would be good,those of you that have seen the windows there know this,they are in terrible condition.But after all this has been done,it is up to the maintainence staff to continue to keep it in it's renewed shape!!!

Richard Heckler 10 years, 2 months ago

Maintain the damn building. Replace it? What the hell for?

Send Lew back home...we cannot afford him.

craigers 10 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely not. Allen Fieldhouse is awesome and I hope it never goes away. However, I wouldn't mind seeing the new scoreboard and other technology enhancements.

Jayhawk226 10 years, 2 months ago

I want the new KU fieldhouse to be named after an exam-cheating heir of a millionaire...only to be exposed, then change the name again!

M I Z

Eric Beightel 10 years, 2 months ago

People are quick to jump on our AD after a hypothetical is posed to people on the street. I still don't understand all of the animosity shown towards Dr. Perkins. He is in a position to make tough decisions, decisions that benefit the Athletic Department as a whole. There is no way that he would be foolish enough to destroy Allen Fieldhouse. The fieldhouse is an icon. It's birthday was covered by the AP and picked up by CBS Sportsline, SI, ESPN.com as well as other newspapers around the country. That is free pub for our athletic department and our basketball teams specifically.

Lay off Perkins, the man is doing his job - raising funds to position KU as a competitive force in the Big XII. This is the reality of modern college athletics. Get over it.

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

Oh consumer1, that was awesome. That whole pack your carpet bag thing cracked me up! I needed a good laugh. Ahh, good times....

Eric Beightel 10 years, 2 months ago

Actually born and raised consumer. Graduate of both LHS & KU.

I don't think that Allen will be replaced nor do I want it to be. But I do applaud what AD Perkins is doing. We have too long wallowed as an underachieving Athletic Department because of Fredrick's cowtowing to Williams and therefore neglecting football - the true cash cow of all college athletics. And yes, college athletics are about the almight dollar. If you do not have revenues, you cannot build state of the art facilities (or upgrades to existing, tradition rich ones) which attract the top flight recruits which then translate into success in the classroom and the playing field. As a true fan of Kansas Athletics, I support what Perkins is doing. Raising the profile of our University and trying to bring revenue in to A. build a combination soccer/track facility to keep coach Mark Francis and support our every improving track & field team. B. Perhaps reinstate men's swimming & tennis. These were lost not to Titile IX but to the mismanagement of athletic department funds under Bob Frederick. C. Build a boathouse for the KU Women's rowing team. A continuing success story that gets no recognition. Their boats - one of which donated by the AD at Stanford whose daughter rowed here at KU - are kept in a chain link fence down by the river. D. Improve academic resources for all student athletes. Baseball & football both fell under the mark established by the NCAA for academic success. This must be remedied.

These are thigns that benefit an athletic department as a whole. These are things that all true Jayhawk fans would support.

Your kneejerk reactions to change only solidify the perception of kansans as hicks. Thanks for that.

italianprincess 10 years, 2 months ago

Good point and it sounds like there are more important things that need attention then the field house right now.

Thanks for the above info.........