Previous   Next

Would you like to see a plaza built to commemorate the city’s 150th anniversary?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 27, 2005

Browse the archives

“It would be a nice thing to have in Lawrence. Particularly if it included an area for performances.”

“I don’t see why not. It sounds like a good idea. It might bring in a little more tourism.”

“That sounds cool. Compared to a lot of smaller towns in this area, Lawrence has a lot more history. It’s a huge part of the city, so it would be good to celebrate it.”

“Why not? It’s just going to bring more people to Lawrence and be good for the community.”

Related story

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 11 months ago

I'm with HKP! Fix the roads! And would it kill 'em to put in a Banana Republic in Lawrence?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 11 months ago

Hell no! If they want to commemorate the city, try fixin' a road. I hit so dang many potholes on the way to work, I feel like I'm offroading. A plaza. Yeah, right. Then we'd just have another place for the friggin' homeless to lounge around like it's a waiting room for the next Woodstock/Wakarusa Festival! FIX MY ROADS!

lunacydetector 9 years, 11 months ago

i'm with hong kong phooey!

greeneyesblues, why put in a banana republic when we live in a banana republic :)

they'll end up putting this thing downtown next to the gigantic "emerging flower" in the buford m. watson memorial train park.

grilled_cheese 9 years, 11 months ago

I remember when you could buy guns, instead of fabric shards, errr, I mean skirts, at Abercrombie and Fitch.

But, ummm, yeah, back on topic, a plaza would be nice, but focusing our financial resources on things in need of attention now (i.e. the roads) would also be nice. It's a toss-up really.

lunacydetector 9 years, 11 months ago

the studies will be given to companies somehow related to the higher ups or they'll be given to politcal contributors. same old girl, different wig.

happy_me 9 years, 11 months ago

How STUPID!! If you want to commemorate Lawrence you do it downtown or old west lawrence NOT at clinton lake!! Clinton Lake wasn't even around when Lawrence was settled

Can we talk about cheese please?!?

stargazer 9 years, 11 months ago

I also agree with HKP. Fix the potholes. And why does it take so long for road repairs. Ever notice, streets are blocked off for months at a time, and seldom see anyone working on them. GET UR DONE NOW, not 3 mo. from now.

Ragingbear 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey! Check it out. Another tourist attraction. Just like the Tanger Outlet Mall.. You remember how much tourism and money that project brought into Lawrence, don't you?

happy_me 9 years, 11 months ago

what I want to know is why did they decide on a site at Clinton Lake when Lawrence has been around a heck of a longer than the lake? The money would obviously be better spent on the roads, but if they're gonna do this the location makes absolutely no sense!

happy_me 9 years, 11 months ago

Again it makes no sense why didn't they put it at the corner of 9th & Mass where once again the business on that corner has moved out and they are rebuilding. Make a monument there!

happy_me 9 years, 11 months ago

Here's a question has it already been approved by the City and Army Corp or is it gonna be another Wal-mart fiasco?

phish 9 years, 11 months ago

I think this sort of thing is basically a waste. The time capsule may be of some interest in 50 years, but the "Plaza" thing must have been thought up by people who want to see their names on something - even something stupid. I'm not against commenorations as such - Centennial Park is wonderful. And if the money were going to an actual amphiteather, that would be cool. But this is just for meaningless pieces of stone - the money (and I think it's a lot) could be used for something we all need.

Ceallach 9 years, 11 months ago

I think they should build the memorial in the downtown area since that is the area celebrating the 150 years.

I also see the possibility that a downtown plaza might help South Park return to a spot where people could once again take their children and families for outings. By closing off a section of Massachusetts -- building a plaza -- lots of memorial granite -- water fountains -- benches -- shaded areas -- the possibilities are endless. This can serve as an expansion of the city's outreach to the homeless population. Larger sleeping area, expanded lounge space, gaming areas, etc. Maybe then those currently living in South Park, laying siege to the gazebo, with battery operated televisons, radios, sleeping bags, etc., would move to the upscaled downtown site and children will be able to play in the park again.

Ceallach 9 years, 11 months ago

kline: Thanks for your late post last night. Most of us have posted in haste -- I appreciate your candor. We even discussed the topic on June the 17th board, 'emails you wish you had not sent' :)

Carmenilla 9 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach, when did South Park STOP being a place for families to gather? Kids and families are there constantly. They have the City Band play on Wed. nites and the kiddie pool always has people in it. I think you have been "convinced" that South Park is some cesspool full of druggies and bums. You couldn't be more wrong.

Delilah 9 years, 11 months ago

If we have money to spend, why not put it towards improving things. I agree the roads need repair badly, but I'd also like to see the cost of public education in this town go down!

stargazer 9 years, 11 months ago

Blue, good idea on the signals on 31st at Haskell and Louisana. East and West on Louisana need the signal lights there desperately. Would move the traffic much better.

Jeff Goodrick 9 years, 11 months ago

NO My real estate taxes have more that doubled in the last 10 years and I still drive on rough city roads and get the yard art out of the center of the street so you can see whats coming at you.

italianprincess 9 years, 11 months ago

I agree with the pot hole issue and all the terribly bad torn up streets all over. My mom lives in North Lawrence and the streets are bad. I guess running a line of tar over a crack is considered fixing them.

Who has the final word on this idea? Why build a new building/plaza and not use one thats already there.......Tanger Mall. It needs something done to it so why not use it.

Someone needs to take this person aside and reboot his/her brain. Money is spent so foolishly, but the more important things get put aside.

That statue in the old train depot parking lot is scary looking. Half man/ half eagle or something and it looks madder then you know what. I went to see it once and thats it. I would rather admire the statue at Haskell, its more appealing.

Ceallach 9 years, 11 months ago

Carmenilla: Thank you for letting me know that you have not found the conditions in South Park to be bad enough to keep families away. I have also been told by family members that Wednesday night music programs go well.

You are right, I was "convinced" by others about the current condition of the park. Working at KU I seldom have opportunity to see the park during the day and have developed my concerns based on conversations with friends who work in the court house.

The park was a place we enjoyed so much when our children were young. We would meet there, they would play and we would gab. We are all in the work force now but still meet and talk quite often. They are adament that they cannot walk through the east side of the park in the morning because people are camped there, especially in and around the gazebo. One friend told me she has been yelled at and cussed out for disturbing them because she was talking to her son on the cell phone as she walked through the park on her way to work.

I appreciate the kind tone of your comment to me. I have always found your posts to be straight forward and I do not think you would take your children there if you found it unsuitable. I will discuss this further with my friends and consider the possibility that they may have other issues with the homeless that have colored their judgment. Working in the downtown area they tend to discuss it a lot.

Ceallach 9 years, 11 months ago

On today's topic: If I read the article correctly, all this money is being invested in LEASED land. Is that right?

italianprincess 9 years, 11 months ago

I almost forgot.......

Will Fridays " Question of the Day " be.......

" What are your plans for the 4th of July? "

They seem to ask that every year and my answer has been the same since the ban on fireworks.

I won't be here, and will be taking my kids to Tongie. BBQ, games, relaxation, and the fireworks galore for all to light off in front of my friends house.

katethegreat 9 years, 11 months ago

I heard we are getting a Banana Republic downtown. How crappy.

I can't understand spending $40 on a new shirt, when you can get a perfectly great one for $5 at Wild Man Vintage.

A plaza at Clinton? How many of us actually go out there more than once or twice a year? Downtown is the way to go. Fix the sidewalks. Fix the streets.

Or...since we are such an artsy community...how about replacing some of the eyesore, cumbersome sculpture art downtown with something a little smaller at attractive? Just my opinion. I think some of the larger sculptures should be in the park. Not at 9th and Mass.

neopolss 9 years, 11 months ago

A plaza? Really? A plaza?

This is the best idea that was thought up?

It sounds like all the city commissioners were sitting at the table with a pile of money, and then realized that no one had a match.

Bring in tourism? Who would drive here to see a slab of rock? How does the Journal World find these numbskulls?

sunflower_sue 9 years, 11 months ago

NO! Build a facility for all the kids getting kicked out of the gymnastics program. DUH!!!!!!!

(OK, You ALL knew this would be my answer)

Carmenilla 9 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach, thanks for responding. I think that people talk about all the things that are wrong with something and it gets blown out of proportion. I also think that people overreact when faced with a situation that makes them uncomfortable. Obviously, your friends and co-workers have had some bad experiences in S. Park. I know that, like anywhere, its not a perfect place. But I can't help but feel that if we continue to demonize places that are "percieved" as being hangouts for the homeless or whatever gets your goat, than people will stop going to these areas and they WILL become unfriendly places. I drive downtown everyday and it seems that all of the parks in that area are bustling with people of every type. Why do folks keep talking about downtown as if its some haven for crime and drugs? My family and I walk up and down Mass. St. on the weekends and I never feel unsafe. Don't fall prey to people's distorted views of a great park and a great place. I was married in South Park nearly a decade ago and I love it still. Keep the fond memories going. Heck, make new ones!

Ceallach 9 years, 11 months ago

sunflower_sue: Can you give me some information on the gymnastics program discontinuation? You can post it at the end of yesterday's line if you don't want to take the space from today's topic. My granddaughter once took those classes and I did not know they were cut. Thanks.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 11 months ago

Would you like to see a plaza built to commemorate the city's 150th anniversary? Build it downtown. It would be good for business.

Far more recognition would be given if this honor were placed in the 1000 block of Mass downtown . Let's close off Mass from the 700 block to the 1000 block and create this new plaza in the 1000 block. Leave 7th,8th,9th 10th streets open.

I cannot see tourists or locals driving out to Clinton to rcognize this part of Lawrence History. The money would be better spent in the downtown. If the mans first Lawrence office was in the 1000 block of Mass St downtown seems more appropriate.

In the meantime let's close off the 800 block of Mass from 5AM - 11AM Saturdays and welcome the Farmers Market a new venue.

ms_canada 9 years, 11 months ago

OMB - would you care to explain to this ignoramous what pharmacokinetics and talinolol are? You got me really curious. What has it got to do with Grapefruit. Thanks.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach, Gymnastics 101 is posted at the end of yesterdays posts. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to tell a side not written about.

Carmenilla 9 years, 11 months ago

Hehe, good one OMB! That guy is incredibly eloquent.

Ceallach 9 years, 11 months ago

sunflower_sue: I sent a reply to your LJW username.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 11 months ago

I've got it. Let's build a recreational facility for the children of the community and put a BIG sign on it that says:

"This building proudly donated by the people of Lawrence on our 150th Anniversary to the children of this great community...our future."

I think that would be used far more than a plaza at Clinton Lake.

lunacydetector 9 years, 11 months ago

in 150 years from now, if civilization and the united states (including lawrence kansas) is still in existence, having a plaza out by clinton lake will be like having a park in far east lawrence today.

if you think about it, lawrence could be pushing 300,000 residents, 150 years from now. if things are run the same as they are today, lawrence will be pushing 40,000 resident multi-millionaires, because by that time, nobody will be able to afford to live here but the VERY rich and childless - all living in a gigantic commune.