Previous   Next

How do you barbecue?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 26, 2005

Browse the archives

“In the summertime, with Kingsford charcoal and lots of barbecue sauce.”

“With vegetables and no meat. I like to grill eggplant, sweet potatoes, zucchini and squash.”

“With the family, on a gas grill, with different marinades, beef, pork and chicken. Mostly beef, though.”

“With honey mustard and red wine marinated chicken or ribs. I dig a hole in the ground and fill it with coals. Then I wrap the meat in foil, put it on the coals and cover it with dirt. It usually takes the whole day to cook.”

Related story

Comments

redbird 9 years, 10 months ago

I cook withan assortment of Weber grills,mainly the Weber Smokey Mountain....with a mix of hardwood charcoal briquettes and lump charcoal.I have my own sauces and rubs that I make,a little bit of Texas and Jamaica and K.C. seasonings and taste to them all.The briskets go on for around 12-20 hours,depending on the size.ribs anywhere from 4-7 hours(size,St.Louis cut,baby backs),chicken I marinate overnight in a chili/garlic sauce,put on smoker for about 3 hours then finish off on the grill,most beef I like tender but still around medium,this takes a temp probe and often.Okay I cookout a lot,in fact, I eat BBQ about 5-6 nights a week year round and I'm no business,just a country boy with a taste for good BBQ!!!!!

redbird 9 years, 10 months ago

And oh yeah....I make my own beer,so there's good cold hand brewed beer and BBQ in my home every night!!!

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

it's kind of strange that he would try to run. On domestic violence charges, he would have legally gotten out of jail in a snap.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 10 months ago

Isn't this ? a little generic? Sorry, have no time to explain. Gotta go grill.

dacs23 9 years, 10 months ago

back on topic.... Gas grills are like domestic beers, if you can't do it right then don't do it at all. Nothing better in my book then a Free State micro brew and a T-bone over hot coals.

lunacydetector 9 years, 10 months ago

most saturday's you can find me in my backyard grilling or smoking something:on the barbeque that is.

ms_canada 9 years, 10 months ago

We build a big fire in the backyard pit. Sit around it for a couple of hours, listen to some fine music, keep throwing logs on the fire till we get a good bunch of glowing coals then throw some foil wrapped potatoes right in with the coals, put the grate on top and spread lots of veggies on it and a bit of chicken. We marinate the veggies first in a nice vinegrette sauce. Corn on the cob with the husks on is great on the grate. At the last minute, we take off the veg and put some really garlicky french bread on the grate to toast. We crank up the music, something by Van Morrison or Dervish and really enjoy. best to eat bbq out side.

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

Today after Church, my family had a picnic at one of Lawrence's lovely parks (away from downtown). My contribution was the BBQ beef for sandwiches. I would like to say I did all the things associated with true BBQ (the way ms_canada does - she is now my BBQ heroine :) But I cheated -- bought a large, lean beef roast, slow cooked it in the oven overnight, got up, sliced it, put it in the Crock Pot on low, smothered it with honey mesquite sauce and let the Pot do it's magic. Everyone loved it :)

Most often I use the same BBQ techniques as omb, and you are right macon47, Granddaddy's has great BBQ!

ms_canada 9 years, 10 months ago

ceallach - I think it would be worth my while to come down your way and have you show me how you do that roast. I am really lousy at doing beef, always have been so that lately I have just given up trying. But what you have described sounds to be most heavenly. Let's trade, I'll do a back yard barbie for you and you share some of that beef with me. OK? :)

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

It's a deal! I think I would get the best end of the bargain because mine is strictly no frills and little or no work :) I would be embarrassed to make such an uneven trade, but could force myself to do so for a taste of the delicious menu you shared earlier. mr_canada and the ms_canadian's-younguns are lucky ducks.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow's topic will be, we may be back on cheese or another such fun subject. The home made cheese sounded delicious! Just pelase ljw not the homeless or the smoking ban.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 10 months ago

Gymnastics:

The Lawrence parks and Rec has had a gymnastics program for 20+ years. They teamed up with Kansas School of Gymnastics and leased a space in Robinson Gymnasium on Ku's campus for a percentage of the annual intake from fees. KU gave notice a year ago that as of Aug 1, 2005, they would no longer lease the space to LPR for the program because they needed the space for offices. Now, as you know, LPR is funded by the city in addition to fees that are paid by those who use the programs. A few months ago, there were 1200 kids in the program. LPR has done VERY LITTLE to try and find a new space for this program. Kan School of Gym. was the "Booster Club" of the program and also bought equipment and helped fund meets for the kids. The equipment will be deeded over to LPR and put into storage.

I attended a city meeting on this issue. As the LPR board members ate their catered lunches, the Gymnastics program was LITERALLY laughed out of the meeting. One guy even said "I've got my money...what do I care about this" (could he be meaning the 1200 kids in the program?). His sport had funding and that's all he cared about. The city made it clear that this was a program that they didn't care too much about. Guess it doesn't fit the new "we are a soccer town" theme.

There was an article that ran in the paper that made it sound as though this would not affect many kids. LPR will still have a gymnastics program....meaning: they will have a small space in a gym with enough room for a mat and maybe a small balance beam. NOT a gymnastics program and they completely alienate every kid over the age of about 6.

There is one other gym in Lawrence that offers Gymnastics but at twice the price of LPR. That is where my kid is now enrolled. Many kids came to LPR for the coaches that were really great. MANY really good kids will be completely excluded because thier families cannot afford the other gym. Dreams shattered. I find it really sad but, of course, I have a bias. I find it hard to believe that a sport that keeps that many kids busy year round is so easily thrown away when the city talks so much of spending money on idiotic ideas. I guess I take my role as "Mom" a little too seriously sometimes but someone has to fight for these kids. I didn't set out to be the "spokeswoman for gymnastics" but I guess if you see something suffering, you can ignore it or choose to TRY to help. Even, if, you know it's in vain.

Thanks for letting me vent.

BUCK9 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm living out of state at this time and would like to find out if anyone knows when the LHS 1975 high school reunion is? It would be our thirty year reunion which I have never attended but would like to try and attend this year. Please assist with this information if possible.

Thanks