Previous   Next

What do you think the outcome of the Michael Jackson trial will be?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 9, 2005

Browse the archives

“I think he’s going to be guilty. Most of the people who have taken the stand for him are friends of his and haven’t offered any real evidence.”

“I say guilty. If they come out with anything else, there was some jury tampering or something going on.”

“I think he will be guilty on two of the lesser counts. No jail time.”

“I think he’s going to be not guilty. The kids that testified against him didn’t seem very credible.”

Comments

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Extreme Makeover - How dare you suggest the removal of such a quality and insightful post!!! Are you afraid of what that period stood for!!!

I did that because I couldn't figure out how to check my profile in a hurry and I figured maybe logging in and posting would get me there. It did. As usual, I had nothing to say. To spare everyone else from the nonsense I usually spew, I just put a period. Somehow, the powers that be at the LJW let that post stand.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

sunflower_sue, thanks for taking the time to look that up. It truly is the little things that mean a lot. (You dun reel good girlee!) Must sleep now, batteries are low, low, low. For some crazy reason the office had work for me to do -- all day long! Sheesh.

Mister_Joe 8 years, 10 months ago

Sunflower Sue, yes that was my post!

You liked it? Awww....thanks! You're a sweetheart!

There's no doubt in my mind that if Michael Jackson goes to prison, and is put in with the general prison population, he'll be playing the "skin flute" each and every day!! And he'll have his "Neverland" explored too!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Was Mister Joe's post the one about "talking with your mouth full"? That was hysterical! Let's see if I get zapped...........

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Ceallach, Looked it up:

doozer, doozy, or doozie are all correct spellings. Use whichever you like

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Ms Canada, In-laws just went to Montreal...spent about a week there. LOOOOOVED it! Saw Cirque de Solei (sp?) there. I told them what you said about Old Quebec. Said they'd have to go there next.

Since the first part of my post is bound to upset someone, I'll for the record say something about the Jackson trial....In my opinion, the parents are MORE guilty than MJ. Did you hear about the mother that left her 8 yr old home alone w/ their 2 pit bulls? Who is more guilty? The dogs for doing what it is in their nature to do? Or the Mother who knowingly put her child in harms way?

Leaving an 8 year old home alone...insane! Leaving an 8 yr old home alone w/ pit bulls...you gotta be smokin' crack!

extreme_makeover 8 years, 10 months ago

Original_Bob: I suggested removal of your post of 2:28 pm. Let's see what happens. ;)

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

bennyoates: Michael Jackson is black?!?!?! Really? (Just kidding!)

OMB: The song you posted made my day. I'm forwarding the text to a friend of mine who believes the Illuminati are the ones calling the shots these days and all the rest (elections, wars, McDonalds protests) are all just window dressing. He'll love it!

OK, now about the question. I only know about this bloody trial because I can't fall over drunk without bumping into the wall-to-wall coverage of it. (No wait. Since I don't really drink: I can't step around all the people falling over drunk without bumping into the coverage.) Jackson's behavior is bizarre and no sane parent would let their child stay with the man. But the prosecution has to prove that specific behavior was illegal beyond a reasonable doubt. From the admittedly little I've seen, it doesn't look like they're doing that. Few of the witnesses (for both sides, actually) seem credible.

I have a question, though. If he's acquitted, will he devote his life to finding the real molestors? OJ hasn't had much luck finding the "real" killer and probably won't unless this mythical murderer works as a groundskeeper for a golf course or a bouncer at a nightclub.

ms_canada & ceallach: We've arrived safely. Lot's of cool, dry air here!

happygolucky 8 years, 10 months ago

Benny-I mean Jackson is a Rich black man who will get away with his crime due to his money. O.J. killed those two, paid out the nose, and got off. If Jackson gets out of this with out jail time, I just hope a parent blasts his ass. It's not so much he's black as it is that he is buying his freedom. Don't care what color you are, do the crime, do the time.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

kns: I will try with all my heart and soul to keep my chin held high and not give in to the slings and arrows of others no matter how extreme my pain may be . . . . . . sorry, if I use a specific word to hastily I have no problem retracting it, but I can't make any promises about the melodrama. Could we blame it on me having a rough childhood?

The only time I thought I needed to stand up for my rights was in answer to offtotheright's post to me. I posted directly back to him/her regarding my surprise that my statement caught their attention but not some others which I considered to be (you know the v word).

So now, kns, if you read a comment directly posted to a specific user, and still consider it a comment about the entire board denying rights, isn't that a little melodramatic? :) Oh, no! Seems we may have something in common.

kns 8 years, 10 months ago

Ceallach, I've been following you and offtotheright's day-long correspondence, and I have to ask you one question: Just who exactly is it that has been trying to "deny" you your opinion on this topic?? You sound melodramatic when you say that. I haven't seen/read any evidence of such.

Now, you've already detracted your "vile" remark.....do you wish/care to ease up on the melodrama too??

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright: Did we somehow get offtothewrongfoot? You seem particularly sensitive to my opinions today. Which is what we are talking about, opinions. Okay, maybe "vile" was a bit harsh, I will concede that :) But I will not concede my right to have an opinion on this topic. Just because I do not understand or agree with someone's opinion, doesn't mean I do not respect their right to express themselves.

I am still a little curious -- why does my thinking he is guilty elicit such a strong response from you, but when others hope he will spend years bedded with a brute or passed around the prison -- that goes unchallenged?

wichita_reader 8 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, unfortunately that's usually the best option for celebrities. They can either spend thousands, if not millions, in legal fees to fight the allegations in a prolonged legal battle, during which their name is dragged through the mud, I mean media, or spend thousands if not millions to settle out of court and have the public perceive them as admitting to the allegations.

happy_me 8 years, 10 months ago

and in the civil case he'll settle out of court with a large sum of money just like he did several years ago

wichita_reader 8 years, 10 months ago

Exactly, offtotheright. As queer of a person as I think Michael Jackson is, with even queerer habits of sharing his bed with children, I can't pass judgement after only seeing bits and pieces of news coverage.

Any celebrity's perceived money makes them a target for suits. I say that because you can bet if there is a conviction, there will be a civil suit to follow (especially given the accuser and his family's history), where the plaintiff's burden of proof is significantly lower than that of the prosecution in a criminal case.

happy_me 8 years, 10 months ago

hey did any one else notice that there are comment boxes on all the stories today??

Oh and the question HE'S QUILTY but he'll go free for the same reasons Ceallach said (his $$)

offtotheright 8 years, 10 months ago

I haven't read any 'vile' posts here (today anyway). I am not necessarily an MJ fan either. We aren't in the court room, and have no idea what evidence is presented.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

Sorry to disappoint you simon, wasn't me. Sounds like I missed a duzzie (how does one spell duzzie?) doozzee? doozy? Anyway, I missed it!

simple_simon 8 years, 10 months ago

Vile posts?

So was it you that had Mister Joe's post removed, Ceallach? I thought it was a riot!

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

consumer1: Chances are very good that you will be proven right, community service, no jail time. (Here's hoping he doesn't have to do his hours with Big Brothers & Big Sisters or the Boy's and Girl's Club.)

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

bennyoates: I cannot speak for other posts but my comparison of MJ to OJ was based on their celebrity status. Robert Blake has not been anywhere near a celebrity for decades. His highest accomplishment was his role in Capote's In Cold Blood, where he played (guess what?) a murderer!!! I have no expectations of celebrities receiving anything near to sentences you or I would receive as average citizens. Also Benny, you should not assume that everyone on this board is lily white, you might be surprised at the combination of people's heritages.

offtotheright: While I am curious as to why out of all the rather vile statements that have been made about MJ you took exception to my hoping he is found guilty, I will gladly answer your question. Because I think he is guilty, I also think the few boys that have come forward are the tip of the iceberg with him. The fact that he can talk in a sweet little boys voice for the camera doesn't alter the reality that the man is a gould! No one of sound mind would do the things he has done, and only one of sound pocketbook could have gone unpunished this long. Which he will probably manage to do this time as well.

I do not understand the kind of celebrity worship that causes otherwise intelligent people to rally after MJ continuously chanting, he may be innocent, he may be innocent. How many children are MJ fans willing to sacrifice to their god?

wichita_reader 8 years, 10 months ago

I think he'll be acquitted on most, if not all charges. Supposing Michael Jackson goes to prison, I suppose there are a number of his lyrics that might be appropriate, followed by the other inmates' chorus.

Michael: It doesn't matter if you're black or white. Inmates: It sure doesn't, Mikey.

Michael: I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it. Inmates: You have been a bad, bad, boy, Mikey.

Michael: Billie Jean is not my lover. Inmates: We'll find another lover for you, Mikey.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

consumer1 8 years, 10 months ago

I am telling you all right now.

Probation, and community service..
Write this down...HE WILL NOT GET JAIL TIME.

offtotheright 8 years, 10 months ago

You all should turn your radio on and listen to Sean Hannity right about now. The whole conversation is about MJ and OJ!

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Sunflower, yup, the doctors that have been involved in that train wreck should never be allowed to practice again.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

One More Bob, I actually went to that website you posted earlier. That was the scariest thing I have ever seen. And remember, I'm the one with all those yellow headed, diamondbacked, copper moccasins in my yard! oohhhh...I'm gonna have nightmares for sure!

Mister_Joe 8 years, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 10 months ago

I just noticed you can have a profile also. There are a lot of food joints in town.

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

IIRC, if he is guilty of any of the felonies, he'll get a minimum of one year's jail time. The story I was reading said that he almost certainly would not be in the general inmate population.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 10 months ago

What kind of sentence is he looking at?

And...will he honestly be mixed with the general prison population?

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

It's new to me. But then there are many days when I wake up in a brand new world.......

larryville 8 years, 10 months ago

Hey, what's up with that "you can add to your profile" thing (when you click on a person's name)?? Is that a new feature?

simple_simon 8 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright, yes he is white. (Well, for the past 15 or so years, anyway!) But I still think benny's looking at this whole thing from a "black activist" point-of-view. (And it's just wrong.)

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Odd person of indeterminate persuasion.

offtotheright 8 years, 10 months ago

oh and simple_simon, FYI MJ is white isn't he?

offtotheright 8 years, 10 months ago

Ceallach, why would you 'hope he's found guilty of the heavier charges'? What if he is innocent and found innocent by the jury? Does that matter? The prosecutor has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty! Geez people...The outcome of this has absolutely nothing to do with OJ!

simple_simon 8 years, 10 months ago

Ah, benny! This isn't about race!

Everyone, benny's trying to play the race card (Like he's probably done many, many times in his life!), and in so doing, trying (Hoping?) to shut us "whities" up! Ain't that right, benny?

Yeah, whatever, benny!

acg 8 years, 10 months ago

That's awesome! Which race riots in this case? Maybe all those with mixed parents? I may not have all the facts of the case but something in my gut tells me that man is not right in the head. I don't give a crap about his upbringing. Waaah! He had a tough father, boo-hoo. My dad beat the crap out of us every single day and that's just the way it was, so using that as an excuse to be a sicko doesn't wash with me. And so he was rich and famous. A lot of child stars didn't grow up to sleep with young boys in their beds. It's weird and wrong and that's all there is to it. And those of you who think the parents are at fault are so right. I don't give a rat's ass how famous someone is, my son wouldn't have sleepovers at an adult's house.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 10 months ago

Well....we know there won't be a race riot based upon the outcomes of the trial.

Even if we knew what "color" he was...I don't think any "side" is willing to riot on his behalf.

The day's of L.A. are no more!

Surhoff 8 years, 10 months ago

Benny, have you thought that maybe the high profile of OJ and Michael Jackson is the reason for the comparison? Before Robert Blake was on TV for the murder of his wife I had never heard of him. But I had heard of OJ Simpson before his ex-wife was murdered. And yes I had heard of Michael Jackson before he was on trial for child molestation...the first time. So the reason for the comparison is the high profile of these two individuals outside and before their court cases.

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

I tend wake up in the middle of the night & have trouble getting back to sleep. Rather than toss & turn in bed, I get up & cruise the net for a while until I feel sleepy again.

youknowmebeanz 8 years, 10 months ago

I agree, what is ole lonely bob doing checking out women on LJworld at 3:30 a.m!!!! Get some sleep man, or maybe a new hobby. Way to represent there Minder!

extreme_makeover 8 years, 10 months ago

Odd that day before yesterday it was mj. Today it is MJ.

Whaddya think about that Mister_Joe?

bennyoates 8 years, 10 months ago

The comments here about how Jackson is "guilty, just like O.J." are interesting. First, this isn't a case in which 2 people were brutally murdered. Second, there seem to be far more valid questions about the case that California's presenting against Jackson than the one they made against Simpson. But what I want to know is, why does the comparison have to be with Simpson? And why do members of the general public, whose only knowledge of this case comes through the media that they usually say they don't like or trust, think they know enough about this case to say that Jackson is guilty? Why hasn't anyone said, he's guilty, just like Robert Blake? Or Claus Von Bulow? Those are 2 rich white guys who walked because of their financial resources. Why weren't white people as upset about those outcomes?

So, when I hear folks say that Jackson is guilty just like O.J., what it really means is that he's black, famous, rich, and guilty just like O.J., which is just too much to bear for some Americans.

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

jonas: So much to learn regarding ninjas! I had no idea. I must now study to learn appropriate methods of protection and/or retaliation:)

MJ, now there is a much scarier topic. I agree that any parent who has allowed such inappropriate contact should also be jailed. The defense has placed so much emphasis on the accuser's mother. That concerns me. A parent's lifestyle and acquaintances either increases or decreases the likelihood of their child being abused. However, when the abuse charge reaches the justice system, children should have the expectation of protection under the law, even if their abuse was enabled by parental neglect.

I hope he will be found guilty on some of the heavier charges, but I think he will either be guilty of lesser charges or not guilty. Celebrity justice is either a misnomer or a myth, not sure which.

And who knows? Maybe MJ will follow OJ's example and spend the rest of his life looking for the real molester :):):)

happygolucky 8 years, 10 months ago

He's guilty, just like O.J. If he doesn't walk, he'll be put in P.C. like Charles Manson and Sirhan Sirhan. Who knows, he as the money, he might end up like Martha and go to Club Fed.

bennyoates 8 years, 10 months ago

First, there will be more inconsequential opinion polls like this one, asking people in places like Lawrence, KS about a trial that has nothing to do with them or their everyday concerns. Following up on point one, there will be even more media coverage, wasting intellectual and human resources that could be used to report on things that affect the public interest. Last, Michael Jackson and similar celebrities will continue to serve as entities onto which we, as a society, can project our insecurities about money, fame, sexuality, and a host of other issues. It says a lot about where we are as a society that we have the luxury to waste so much on so little, like this trial, and Lindsay Lohan, Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, Brad Pitt, et al. It says a lot, and none of it is good.

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Ya got yer bread, ya got yer circus. Wait a minute, why are we in this fiery handbasket?

Das_Ubermime 8 years, 10 months ago

I haven't been paying too much attention to this trial mainly because I see it as a farce and none of my business, but I haven't been convinced that he is guilty from the bits that I have picked up. Most of what is directed at him is just heresay and who can say that the people he hired aren't hungry for fame or that the children weren't pressured by their parents? I don't trust gossip mills around the work place and with a figure such as Michael Jackson for an employer... The responses of the general public (including many of those who have posted here) make all of this seem more like the Salem witch trials rather than any fascimile of justice. That's my two bits anyway...

consumer1 8 years, 10 months ago

If is he convicted. He won't be going to a prison where big bubba is going to have him as a cell mate. It doesn't matter this is a criminal issue. He won't go to prison as you or I might. He will simply be put in a special condition confinement area. sounds pretty cush to me. He won't see a day inside an actual prison like Leavenworth (federal) or Lansing (state). More like a detention center where he can be protected. Different tax bracket = different punishment.

tell_it_like_it_is 8 years, 10 months ago

Take his wierd a** and the nit wit parents lock 'em all up in the damn loney bin and throw away the key. Thats what I think oughta happen.

offtotheright 8 years, 10 months ago

Freak of nature? What else would one expect him to turn out to be as an adult? He had a brutal childhood, of course he's a freak. As for the charges against him...I don't know if he is guilty or not, but I do know that every one of the parents of the children should be on trial also.

acg 8 years, 10 months ago

Oh Mister Joe, that is my dream outcome of this particular case. I would just dance the jig if he was thrown in prison in general pop with the big scary guys that haven't seen someone as dainty as MJ since the last time they saw a woman. That guy (and I use the term loosely) creeps me out big time. What a freak of nature!

Mister_Joe 8 years, 10 months ago

Careful, one more bob! If you allow yourself to become too excited over Mindi Nichols, you'll have everyone here thinking you're "lonely guy"!!

I agree with Surhoff. MJ will walk, just like OJ did. SIGH

But a nice thought would be if MJ was found guilty and was sent to prison.....and he had to share a cell with a 300+ pound horny inmate! A 300 pound inmate who insisted that MJ sleep in his bed with him!!---Now that would be poetic justice, wouldn't it?!

extreme_makeover 8 years, 10 months ago

Four counts of child molestation. Guilty to at least one count. Four counts of administering an intoxicating agent. Same. One count of attempted child molestation. Guilty. One count of conspiracy to commit child abduction. Not guilty.

Result: probation and community service. Jackson subsequently picks up and moves to some place other than the US where he can still afford to live in relative luxury.

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Not related to anything but funny:

ILLUMINATI -- To the tune of "Eleanor Rigby" 11-07-88 Steve Jackson, Joe Vail, Creede Lambard

Illuminati... They put a thing made of tinfoil on top of my door... What is it for? Illuminati... Shooting a ray at my cornflakes to make them turn green... What does it mean? The Illuminati... They're watching me, I know. The Illuminati... They're everywhere I go.

Illuminati... Doing unspeakable things in the night to a cow... Where are they now? Illuminati... Sent an impostor in place of the Popsicle man... What is their plan? The Illuminati... They're watching me, I know. The Illuminati... They're everywhere I go.

Illuminati... They cancelled Star Trek, The Fonz, and My Mother, the Car... Are they bizarre? You can't escape them; Even if you take a plane to Nepal or Peru... They'll be there, too... The Illuminati... They're watching me, I know. The Illuminati... They're everywhere I go.

I know that they know all about me... They know that I know all about them...

Illuminati... Hide their assassins' instructions in newspaper text... Who will be next? They're all around us... Underline every third word in the Times and you'll see... How can it be? The Illuminati... They're watching me, I know. The Illuminati... They're everywhere I go.

They're in the attic and the cellar... Bigger than Hunt or Rockefeller...

Illuminati... Go through my garbage and count all the pop bottles there... Why do they care? They're out to get me... They're fluoridating my water from their UFO... What do they know? The Illuminati... They're everywhere, I see. The Illuminati... And no one knows but me.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Could care less if he's guilty or not. Hopefully, the outcome of his trial is that it will be over and news organizations will allocate resources to actual news and not celebrity nonsense.

Redneckgal 8 years, 10 months ago

Guilty as heck but he'll walk and probably do it all over again in a few years.

Surhoff 8 years, 10 months ago

Just as guilty as OJ, but will walk just the same.

consumer1 8 years, 10 months ago

Does it really matter? Guilty ? Not ? Lesser charge??? If he is convicted he is not going to jail. What would be the benefit of conviction or acquittal??? This is all just media hype. If it doesn't sell papers, or beer, we wouldn't even know it was going on. This is not the justice system, this is the circus, and BOZO is the main attraction. When it is over, Jacko will just fade away and pull out a new face from his closet.

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

Jumpin' jehosophat! offtotheright, how many of those plastic owls did you put out. I was woken at 5:30 by the darndest racket on my patio. There must be 25 little furry critters out there all clammering for sunflower seeds. I've had to wake my husband and send him out for more food. And I thought I saw a couple of ninja's urging the furries on. Thanks a lot fellow!!! Haven't had time to think about Mr. Jackson. But sure do hope that justice will be served.

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

MJ, what a guy. Check out http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Jackson.html for images of how he's changed his face. Not for the faint hearted. You've been warned.

enochville 8 years, 10 months ago

I really can't tell whether he is guilty or not. The crediability of the accusers is lacking. But, just because the kids and their mother have a history of taking advantage of situations, doesn't mean that Michael did not molest the kid. I think the interviews of some of the staff at Neverland ranch is pretty convincing that inappropriate things were happening there.

The defense has used character witnesses to say Michael is not cappable of something like that. In response I say, anyone is capable of something like that! Michael's team has also used the testimony of some young men who are now grown up, but who used to spend the night in Jackson's bed as children who said that Jackson never touched them inappropriately. Well, just because he didn't to you doesn't mean he didn't to someone else. How is it that some children know exactly what Jackson's private parts look like.

I don't know. I wasn't at the trial and only know what I know because it has been all over the news. One thing is for sure, whether they find him guilty or not, no unrelated child should ever be allowed in close proximity to Jackson again. He has lied in the past, such as claiming he has never had plastic surgury, and he behaves to oddly around other people's children to be trusted around them.

i_tching 8 years, 10 months ago

The Jackson already has produced results: it gets much, much more attention than the far more important Downing Street Memo.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I agree that perhaps some lesser charge will stick, because Jackson is too rich for the law to apply to him as it would to, say for example, you.

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and for extreme-makeover: You'll find that a ninja eats mostly the same stuff as the rest of us. The only difference is that, when a ninja eats food, you won't see or hear it doing so until it's way too late to do anything about it.

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

To explain, Mindi's photo was about 8 times larger than the other pictures early this morning.

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

calleach: In regards to yesterday, you would never, ever have to worry about ninjas sucking up unemployment benefits, due to their very many ways to provide services, such as nightime surprise yard mowings, or especially crossing guards. In fact, were we to, say, employ them at the SRS office, I think total unemployment would probably go down in the city.

Ninja: Form say, 9 months you no have jobu.

Applicant: Man, I'm disabled. My knee hurts on tuesdays and thursdays. And no one will hire me.

Ninja: YYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (cuts desk in half with katana) YOU APPLY AT MCDONALDS, WORK FAST FOOD, MAKE MONEY, OR MAKE YOU COMMIT SEPPUKU DESU NE!!!!! YOU UNDERSTAND?! WAKARIMASU?!

Applicant: AAAH! I understand, I understand! (runs out with new found sense of purpose)

Ninja: Need new desk! Atarashii tsukue onegaishimasu!

See how much better that would be?

Oh, the question: No, I don't think he's guilty. I think everyone wants him to be guilty, because we are incapable of believing that you can desire to hang around little children without having sex with them. However, would I ever leave my own children within 2 miles of him without my constant supervision? Hell no! The real criminals in this case are the parents, who should be sued for neglect, at the very least.