Previous   Next

Should it be legal to hunt wild game over the Internet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 6, 2005

Browse the archives

“No. That’s not right. I think that would take the respect away from hunting.”

“No. I don’t think that’s quite fair. You should have to go out in the wilderness and hunt for yourself.”

“No. That should not be legal. If you’re going to hunt, you need to get out of the house and do it.”

“No, because hunting is about getting out in the woods and hunting. Not about sitting in a deer stand or at home on your computer.”

Related story

Comments

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

Reading through the rest of today's posts, I am enheartened to know that there are others who remember Bob & Doug MacKenzie and have seen Strange Brew. Yes, admitting such does tell our age. But any of you young hosers who'd make fun of us can take off to the Great White North, eh?

Geddy Lee of Rush, another Canadian, was great in that song and has such a unique voice. I miss the 80s!

"Hi, I'm Bob MacKenzie and this is my brother, Doug."

"How's it goin', eh?"

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

sunny sue - I sure hope that your in-laws plan on visiting Quebec City and especially the old city. It is marvelous. My husband and I visited Quebec 2 years ago in Oct. and were absolutely thrilled by the trees in their fall dress. Every turn in the highway brought a new intake of breath. But Q.C. is so charming and the people are lovely. And the food, yummmy. Let me know if they go there, would you, and what they thought of it.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Ms C, My in-laws are in Canada on vacation right now and say it's BEAUTIFUL! (Montreal) Maybe they will bring me a B & D McKenzie T-shirt!

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

yep - they are from Canada and we're proud of them.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

OMB, I did that with the electric fence once. Didn't feel all too good. Wouldn't recommend it.

Ms Canada, loved Bob & Doug! Were those crazy hosers really from Canada? I still can't sing the 12 days of Christmas w/ out adding "and a beer....in a tree!" No doubt, they were up in that tree hunting moose or something!

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Sunflower, I might just zap myself sometime to see what happens.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

OMB, remember when I got zapped for questioning LJW's ability to come up with better ?s ???? Welcome to the club. I'll never zap anyone...even if ya'll go "postal" on me!

? of the day: Called my very handicapped brother to ask him what he thought of this issue. He thinks this must be some kind of sick way to further torment him. He says if you want to help him hunt...hoist his buns up into a tree. If he can already sit at home for hours playing a simulated hunting game...what's the dif? This is absurd!!!!!!!! What's next?

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

& while we are talking about bias in the media, is there any doubt what side of this issue Brett Garland's photo (guy in boxer shorts, tee shirt & camo mask pointing a rifle at a computer) comes down on? Editorializing in a photo in a straight news piece? Say it ain't so!

italianprincess 8 years, 10 months ago

Green Eyes

I'm pretty sure they said the orig band would be making an appearance and singing. I hope so, it would be great to see them singing and not someone trying to remake the song.

jonas 8 years, 10 months ago

Uno Mas Bob: Somewhere, in the past few days, the comments monitoring system must have been restructured from a republic to the first galactic empire!!

Sorry, been watching Star Wars. . . .

. . . but anyway, who wants to form a rebel alliance?

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I got deleted. All I did was make a snide remark about LJW reaching the bottom of the question barrel. Some people!

sadtaco1 8 years, 10 months ago

Indeed, the best way to show respect is to point a gun at something living!

ssauble 8 years, 10 months ago

Wait, why be short-sighted? You can murder someone 5,000 miles away and be scott-free. Why not mount it near Times Square?

Just think, if only there were crosshairs: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

There's respect involved when taking an animal's life. We already buy sliced meat in cellophane while Whitney Houston wails over the intercom. Perversion. How much farther detached from life and death must we become to deserve neither?

I think any disabled person with a level-headed perception of life is thankful just for the availability for food. One hundred and fifty years ago, your physical disabilities would hinder your chance of survival.

sadtaco1 8 years, 10 months ago

Why not just buy some Omaha Steaks?

Ceallach 8 years, 10 months ago

Internet hunting, hmmm. Originated out of the tender feelings he had for disabled hunters, hmmm. I have hunters in my family (not something that appeals to me) and I cannot imagine that should my brother not be physically able to hunt, he would find it fulfilling to sit in front of his monitor, gawking at a section of woods, waiting to click the mouse and fire a remote rifle. This site has more potential for attracting the mentally ill than the physically disabled.

Although, I do not consider it a dead issue. If I read the article closely enough, Kansas does not have a law to cover this particular fetish.

I have, however, thoroughly enjoyed reading today's responses. What a great bunch of people. No, really!

ms_canada: Sorry you felt trampled earlier. One of the most dangerous places in our society is between a hunter and their gun (even if only verbally). Some of the nicest guys I know are hunters, so you just got to love em and realize you will never understand :)

Earlier discussion covered women who love to hunt (don't understand that either). Through the years I've heard women saying they "love" a lot of sport related things that once were thought of as "man's territory." I've always wondered if they really loved it, or just loved being with their guys and that was one way to accomplish it.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 10 months ago

I've heard of Strange Brew! I'll have to watch it for the sheer whimsy of seeing the models for the silly moose.

Italian Princess,

The band was Simple Minds. Are you sure it's them singing the song? I've heard it's another band called Yellowcard. But what do I know? I'm just a punk kid with a hankerin' for some online big game hunting. Via World of Warcraft, of course. ;)

italianprincess 8 years, 10 months ago

Hunting on the internet is for hunters who are are so bored with their lives that they need that hunt 24/7.

Speaking of the 80's though and not to sure how many of you in here watch any MTV at all........MTV is bringing back the cast ( all but 1 has committed= Emilio Estevez ) this Thursday night for a reunion of the Breakfast Club. The band ( can't recall their name ) will also be preforming the hit song from the movie as well.

I LOVE the 80's.

acg 8 years, 10 months ago

Yay, I don't know anyone that has seen Strange Brew. Whenever I mention it my friends look at me like I'm nuts. What an excellent flick that was. I love the MacKenzie bros. They also did commercials around that time for Pizza Hut or Dominoes. Remember "PIZZA RAID" and they'd grab the toppings off each other's pizza. Ah, the 80's. I miss em.

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

Golly, I am so glad someone got the eh? bit. Right on fangorn, Bob and Doug McKenzie. Typical canadian hosers! How clever of you to remember them. And according to my sister, I am typical. I never realized that I say eh? all the time. She points it out to me everytime I use it.

raven 8 years, 10 months ago

Fangorn: I have seen Strange Brew. It is a particularly strange movie, however one I have always liked. Most people I know have never seen it. Must be my age, eh?

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

GreenEyedBlues: Are you old enough to remember Bob and Doug MacKenzie, played by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas (no, not that Dave Thomas!)? They were beer-quaffing Canadians that entertained us back in the 1980s. The moose were based on these two. Moranis and Thomas did their voices, too. I don't know if you caught toward the end of Brother Bear as the moose amble off saying "This calls for a delicious pile of barley and amberweed on a cool bed of malted hops, eh?" If you don't know the MacKenzie brothers, check out "Strange Brew" from Blockbuster.

happy_me 8 years, 10 months ago

I can understand why men like to go hunting although I don't care for it. Venison Summer Sausage is VERY GOOD!! What really baffles me are the vegetarians in this town that wear leather shoes and or coats but won't eat meat!!! come on people use the entire animal! Eat the Meat, Enjoy warm Coats and Nice Shoes.

As for OMB he shouldn't have been 'zapped' either... perhaps LJW need to actually read the comments first. GEARHEAD NEEDS TO QUIT YELLING!!!! Now I've probably said too much and I'll get 'zapped'

chevygal 8 years, 10 months ago

why the heck would u want to hunt on the computer when u can go out and really do it??

happygolucky 8 years, 10 months ago

Happy me-Thank you.

Ms Canada, ya Hoser eh?-I still like you. I don't go out blastin' every lil' Bunny Foo Foo I come across. You're right, that's wrong. I do however enjoy freezing my butt off, in a tree, waiting for Bambi's dad so I can eat for a while and have a nice place to hang my hat. Unless it will hurt me, I don't shoot unless it'll go good with some beans and cornbread. Sorry about the kittens. I'll hug one of ours for you. And no, I don't reckon they would go with beans and cornbread even though I'd like to string some of the little vermits up from time to time.

Everyone enjoy the weather and eat what you kill.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 10 months ago

Fangorn, Works every time! I'm glad someone else out there appreciates my belief in the magic that is animated kittens fighting 80's crime thugs to a tune written and sung by Billy Joel.

To go off on a further Disney tangent, everytime MS_Canada mentions the "eh?" bit I always think of Rutt and Tuke from Brother Bear, the two goofy moose who have those heavy Fargoesque accents.

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

btw, happygolucky, why did your comment get censored? I read it before it got removed and I don't recall exactly what it said. But I don't remember anything untoward in it. Now I can understand why OMB got zapped. I mean, obviously he should have left the CAPS lock on!

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

ms_canada: What kind of a sick, sadistic piece of work was this man? Were you holding a firearm at the moment? I think mine would have "accidentally" gone off right about then. GEB is right. In The Aristocats and Oliver & Company, the cute furry critters win in the end. (And the bad guy in Oliver gets smoked!) Think of it as Disney's PTDS therapy.

Redneckgal 8 years, 10 months ago

Oh my God I think we have just hit a new low in laziness/insanity here.

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

extreme_makeover - I know what you mean about the road kill. Last month I drove to Montana and then to B. C. A great deal of those miles were through mountains and deer country. Saw 4 families of deer and two dead. Nearly hit one of them as two of them came out of the trees that were close to the hwy. There are signs on the hwy showing deer areas and I am especially diligent in watching in those areas, but ALWAYS my eyes go from one side of the verges to the other watching for deer. It is no good just watching the road, you have to spot them on the verges as they are quite fast. The silly things are wont to cross the road, I guess it looks greener on the other side, right? But not to worry about me, I have many pleasant things to occupy me this day and will forget about the kittens.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 10 months ago

MS_Canada,

Not only was your husband's friend being quite sadistic and cruel, there's also something very ungentlemanly about killing a knapsack full of kittens in front of your friend's bride -to-be. Yikes!

Watch The Aristocats and/or Oliver and Company and try not to think about it, eh? ;)

extreme_makeover 8 years, 10 months ago

ms_canada: find a pleasant distraction to think about. Yes hunting is barbaric IMHO. Especially barbaric shooting kittens. And not even for sport!! OMG!! ;)

When driving and I can tell I am approaching some type of road-kill, I avert my eyes back to traffic partly because gruesome reminders recur once your eyes lock on.

Sometimes better to look the other way.

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

Well, now, I feel thoroughly trampled this morning. Ok, OK, I guess it is true some women hunt, my own daughter is just crazy about fly fishing. Go figure! And sure, I agree, hunting for food is still in the picture, but for sport??? Why not try skeet shooting instead. Hurts no one or no thing. Not the same, you say? So it must be the killing itself that is the goal, eh? (eh? being a particular canadian saying, so my american sister is always telling me.) And yes, I see as happy_me says, there is the ritual of the early rising, the planning, etc. that is all part of hunting. But by remote control, give me a break, eh? The only leather I wear are my shoes. I tried old tires but they were not warm enough at 38 deg. below 0. My husband took me hunting once before we were married. His friend came also. Well, I nearly died when this "friend" took a gunny sack from the car trunk and threw it way out in the lake and proceeded to take pot shots at it. Horror of horrors, it contained a litter of kittens. This is the honest to God truth and sort of put me off hunting and that friend also. Boy, I wish I had not remembered that. My day is ruined, but good.

BunE 8 years, 10 months ago

Hunting via the internet defeats the whole point. Do they get the meat from the animals?

Hunting is supposed to be a way to get back to basics. Man v. beast, eat what you kill.

This e-hunt seems to be to be more like shootin' signs in the country or offing kittens with your .22.

There are many programs for the handicapped for hunters, this e-hunt is just a video game.

happy_me 8 years, 10 months ago

This is just not right. Hunting is supposed to have some challenge to it. I myself do not hunt but have been on hunting trips with my step-dad and brother. Half the fun is getting up at some ungodly hour of like 3am, bundling up so you don't freeze to death so you can maybe see a deer. There is planning about where to go and a lot more to it. You can't just sit in your desk/computer chair and hunt and have the meat mailed to you!! What about field dressing!! Most hunters I know prefer it that way!

Happygolucky: I saw nothing wrong with your post earlier!

happygolucky 8 years, 10 months ago

Staff-Thank you LJW for removing my comment. I guess it hurt your feelings. If you asked questions that were more local, like Hendricks getting kicked out of his new house. You remember, the guy we didn't want here in Lawrence. I did't swear, so what's your deal.

Ms Canada-What? We don't have to kill to eat? I still wake up hungry, sometimes get hungry during the day, and veggies don't cut it. If we weren't supposed to kill critters, then why are they made of meat? Do you wear leather? That cow didn't just hand over some hide, with a side of burger. I don't try and hit the littler buggers with the car for fun, but I still hunt, trap, and fish. Maybe I'm old school, but if I kill it, it just taste better.

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

extreme_makeover: Your idea has merit, considering so many of these questions are asked on Mass Street.

LJWorld: Excuse me, sir. What do you think of the city's proposal to change our traffic lights from the current light amber to more of a deep saffron?

Mass Street denizen: Well, I'm disturbed by the notion. We're forming a protest committee to plan...

[BLAM!]

LJWorld: Oh...never mind....

Fangorn 8 years, 10 months ago

Um, where does Sarah Saltzmann think hunters place their deer stands? Could it be. . . out in the woods?

Personally, if I were to hunt, I'd rather hunt something dangerous that could hunt me back. If you miss your shot at a deer, what's the consequence? At a mountain lion, on the other hand. . . .

I can't see where this would be challenging or even interesting to the able-bodied hunter, who would probably much rather get out in the woods. (Maybe even in his or her deer stand.) But for those whose disablility utterly prevents hunting of the more traditional sort, this could be a workable substitute, albeit a rather poor one.

I do opine that those lawmakers who scrambled to outlaw this type of hunting probably have much more pressing matters that require their attention.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 10 months ago

What if it got hooked up to the LJW Mass St. web cam by mistake?

Topside 8 years, 10 months ago

I agree this is a totally old dead issue but, what else would they make as thier question of the day? Three weeks from now they will ask people if they think its safe to travel to Aruba (Abducted girl from Alabama)? However, big ups to Ryan Johnson (above) on a swweeeet John Deere hat! He must have spent a lot of time shaping and stinking that one up, awesome!

acg 8 years, 10 months ago

That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. They're kidding, right? Wow, now I think I've definitely seen it all.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 10 months ago

"I have never really understood the need for the male of the species to kill."

Ms. Canada - Please, get over yourself this morning. Many, many women hunt and fish. Also, the need to kill is to eat. Has been for million and million of years.

As far as the question at hand... this is old news isn't it? Seems like a moot issue since it's being outlawed everywhere. I would never do it but I don't see how this morality angle makes any sense. It's legal to hunt. People have always hunted. People always will. Besides, deer are basically rodents anyway. Way overpopulated.

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

Now, I should realize that it is early (6:30MT) but I feel as if I was having a nightmare after reading the related article for this question. I don't think I have heard of many things more bizarre than this hunting by remote control. But, then, I have never really understood the need for the male of the species to kill. Oh sure, back in the cave man days it was from necessity, but now??? My husband used to hunt upland game and the occasional deer or moose. But the last time he ventured out he came home empty handed. He said he just could not pull the trigger on such a beautiful creature anymore.
I was quite relieved and besides, I really hated that moose meat and so did the children. It seems as if the posts above are by males and that gives me comfort that not all 'men' feel the same about killing these beautiful creatures. Hmmmm, I just had a thought. Do you think that the urge to hunt in the wild is related to the desire of some men to take up bullfighting in the arena? The latins call bullfighting "an art". hmmm, as the saying goes, 'a rose by any other name......'

Topside 8 years, 10 months ago

I saw this place on a news program...sometime. The guy said (believe it or not) that his origional premise was to give the handicapped a chance to hunt. If that were the origional and true porpose than I have no problem with that. I do believe that the Hunter should have to buy a hunting license in either the state the ebuisness is located or their state of residense or both states. Overall, I think this is yet again, an overblown and over hyped topic. Real hunters are not going to stop hunting out in the wild that is part of the fun. People drink beer at their own place all week the fun of hunting is drinking beer outside and away from the wife.

neopolss 8 years, 10 months ago

Wouldn't one simply be better off playing a deer hunting sumulation game on the computer? I don't really see too many hunters taking an interest in REAL internet hunting - it takes all of the glory of shooting it from the passenger window!

Richard Heckler 8 years, 10 months ago

If people need help feeding their families I'm sure a list could be created for such to be shared among sportsman's clubs etc. My grandfather shared our take with poor families in the community of Enid, Oklahoma. Not a bad idea.

Hunting game from a computer is utterly rediculous. When the first human is brought down what would be the defense? I say forget it.

one_more_bob 8 years, 10 months ago

happygolucky 8 years, 10 months ago

Jeff Goodrick 8 years, 10 months ago

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE TO GET THE CRITTER TO PASS IN FRONT OF YOU FOR A GOOD SHOT. THE GUN DOESN'T MOVE.

IT TOOK ONE HUNTER 2 DAYS TO EVEN SEE A DEER THAT HE COULDN'T EVEN SHOOT AT.

NOW FOR ME IT WOULD HAVE TO BE ON THE IRAQ BORDER WITH A CHAIN GUN.

SOUNDS LIKE A NEAT WAY OF KEEPING THE RACOONS AND RABITS OUT OF MY GARDEN, OH AND THAT DOG THAT GETS IN THE TRASH ON THURS. MORNINGS.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 10 months ago

Holy mullets! If there's one thing worse than killing animals for sport and masculine reassurance, it's killing animals online because you're too lazy to leave the house!

And if you have to hunt online because you're disabled and absolutely CANNOT go without killing anything, you've got bigger problems anyway...

Mister_Joe 8 years, 10 months ago

Ok, I read the article. And the whole idea/premise of this thing has me laughing sooo incredibly hard, I can't even think straight! I'll give my full response later!

OMG! What an utterly bizarre concept!