Previous   Next

What is your favorite springtime activity?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 5, 2005

Browse the archives

“The Raintree Run. It’s a half-marathon and a 5K run to raise money for the Montessori School.”

“I love all the small town festivals. They had one in Yates Center last weekend. Everyone is in such a good mood during the spring.”

“I usually attend the Art Fairs. It’s an inspiration and something I enjoy. I also like to people-watch.”

“I’m looking forward to the Wakarusa Music Festival. I didn’t get to go last year, but I’m excited about going this year.”

Comments

49cent 9 years, 9 months ago

I will stay in my airconditioned apartment, away from all the sticky heat and play video games. Maybe drink a few warm beers.

happygolucky 9 years, 9 months ago

49er-Right there with ya. Got the new Leasure Suit Larry and running with it as we speak.

merrywidow033 9 years, 9 months ago

being outside. i love to sit on the porch with a good book, or working in the garden. as long as i can get out after being cooped up in the house for the winter (so to speak).

sunflower_sue 9 years, 9 months ago

Weeding the flower beds.

Hi Ten times! Hope you are having a good day! (seriously)

I'd like to hear more from you since you obviously have some strong opinions. Do share. You'd be a nice addition to the "Regulars".

Ceallach 9 years, 9 months ago

I enjoy cleaning up the flower beds, getting the annuals planted and the mulch spread before the hot weather hits. I always go by Foley Hall for their butterfly garden plant sale. They have healthy, hardy plants, affordably priced and offer information tours regarding the Monarch watch and other butterfly and moth information. We plan butterfly gardens to both attract the adults and feel the hatchlings.

Each spring and summer my daughter, granddaughter and I collect butterfly eggs and caterpillars, bring them in to a safe environment, and release them after their metamorphosis. Observing the process and releasing them is always enjoyable, no matter how often we do it. It also helps makes the world a lovelier place.

ms_canada 9 years, 9 months ago

Favorite spring time activity? Well, like most others, it would be just getting out of the house after the long winter. Being able to go for long walks on sidewalks again free of ice and snow. Working in the garden, etc. Reading my Toronto Globe and Mail (a great paper) this pm I found an ad by the University of Calgary, requesting people to take part in a survey comparing the US health services and canadian service. They are asking for people who have had actual experiences in both systems. Thought some of you might be interested in reading about it. Here is the web site address. www.chaps.ucalgary.ca

ms_canada 9 years, 9 months ago

ceallach - the collecting of butterfly eggs sounds interesting. Can you tell us more about that? How do you find them? I have no idea what to look for.

jonas 9 years, 9 months ago

Feeding babies to. . . . . nevermind.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 9 months ago

HKP, I prefer a nice burber. Never did like to rake my carpet. : )

Ceallach 9 years, 9 months ago

I grow Rue plants among the bright, flowering butterfly attracting plants. The swallowtail butterflies are particularly fond of Rue as a food source for their caterpillars. I check the Rue, swallow tail eggs are small black dots. They quickly become little hatchlings that at first appearance are like a tiny piece of black thread. The growth rate from egg to full caterpillar is very rapid. I have better luck looking for caterpillars but my granddaughter is patient enough to search each little leaf looking for eggs. We have converted an old 3 gallon gold fish bowl into a hatchery (many things around the house can be used). Twigs where the caterpillar can attach and form its chrysalis, a wet paper towel (water supply) and the leaf food appropriate to the type of caterpillar.

We currently have a number of American Painted Lady's in the caterpillar stage, they prefer Holly Hock leaves. It is still early to find very many in the wild, we acquired these from a master gardener who raises and releases butterflies. Her indoor facility began producing eggs earlier than outdoor plants. It is a hobby that is educational, interesting and a way to help keep these lovely creatures flitting about for years to come.

Chris Bohling 9 years, 9 months ago

getting out on my bike for the first time since October!