Previous   Next

What is your cell phone ring tone?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 2, 2005

Browse the archives

“Right now it’s the ‘Star Wars’ theme, but I’m actually not that big of a ‘Star Wars’ fan.”

Don’t fear the Reaper,’ by Blue Oyster Cult. It’s a sweet jam. More cowbell.”

“It’s ‘Vibrate,’ by Pablo. I just liked the beat.”

“My daughter got my phone for me, so at first it was her saying ‘Mom, pick up the phone,’ but I had to change it to something more appropriate.”

Related story

Comments

neopolss 9 years, 8 months ago

I have no cell phone, and despise them. I don't always want to be reached, and it usually was when I was busy at the store or in the car. I gladly got rid of it and haven't had one since. I certainly do not need one for emergencies either. People survived hundreds of years before without them in a crisis, I'm sure I'll get creative.

jonas 9 years, 8 months ago

My favorite one built into my phone is a cat's meow. I could turn it on, set it on my floor, and my real cats would come over, wondering what the hell is going on. Then they'd start looking at each other, going "Are YOU making that noise?" It was lots of fun.

neopolss: I had the same problem, but when I actually got a cell phone and ditched my land line, I kept the mentality of "I don't actually have to answer that" pretty well, and it's been okay. We've been almost pavlovianly conditioned when it comes to phones: ring, must answer, but it's not that hard to break with a concious effort.

Surhoff 9 years, 8 months ago

I put mine on vibrate so that everyone around does not have to know that I am getting a call.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 8 months ago

How about ringing to protecting our children.

In the LJW this AM: As me, my mom and my sisters gather signatures on a petition to stop the sexual predator transitional housing in Lawrence, the most common response is, "Could I please sign it twice?" Or, "You bet I will sign and I don't usually sign petitions." A few do say, "Where are we going to put them?" but usually end up signing.

Monday this matter came up with a psychologist client as we were discussing the Salvation Army. One had been registered there supposedly only picking up his mail. The SA policy is that they are rehabilitating them which makes them safer. According to my conversation it's not quite that easy as many have been victims or taught that this practice of child molesting is OK. The psychologist stated that it is best if WE know the exact whereabouts of these individuals and let them KNOW WE KNOW in order to hold them accountable.

While wanting to be open minded I was not aware how difficult it is to bringing about change. At this point I do want to know where the individuals are and it might be best for all concerned to keep electronic monitors on the "child predators" at all times.

It is challenging to understand what drives someone to this end of molesting children. Looking for logic on this matter I was informed simply does not exist. It's a very sad state of affairs. Rapists perhaps should receive the same level of concern.

My phone sounds like a door bell...nothing special. I rarely carry it....only on the road.

jonas 9 years, 8 months ago

Calleach: In regards to yesterday's, I took Prof. Illiardi's class at KU on psych of mental illness, and he's always advocating new provocative, anti-drug plans. The one he was on a kick about then was cholestorol. His hypothesis was that cholestorol was actually responding to another molecule, injested through food, that tore up artery liners, so the cholestorol was fixing the tears. He said you could get rid of the original molecule with something like vitamin D pills mixed with something else and boom, no more problems.

My RN wife says it's BS.

lunacydetector 9 years, 8 months ago

i am very proud to say i don't own a cell phone. they'll give you a brain tumor - maybe.

a consortium of cell phone manufacturers own a company that has the patent for a casing that blocks all potentially harmful electrical emmissions from cell phones - just in case a government agency eventually says cell phones cause brain tumors.

craigers 9 years, 8 months ago

I have my cell phone programed to ring certain ways for certain people. Some of the ringtones are, A-Team theme, Austin Powers theme, Mission Impossible, 007, Usher-Confessions, Finding Nemo, and many more. Neopolss, you remind me of my dad because that is what he always says when I talk to him about getting a cell phone. I think cell phones are very handy and they let us talk to whoever we want whenever we want, they are good technology.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 8 months ago

My ringtone is set to "I'm A Jayhawk"

T-Mobile has this fun service 'CallerTones' where callers can hear music instead of the typical ringing. So, people who call me have been listening to Carly Simon's 'Nobody Does It Better' for the past four months. Ha!

lunacydetector 9 years, 8 months ago

question:
what do you call the 'high fees' they add at the end of your telephone bill? [this question applies to regular and cell phone bills]

answer: the Al Gore tax. thanks Al.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 8 months ago

Chickens crowing and clucking to a beat...it also vibrates. Very wierd but I like it!

I have to have a cell for our family business and I feel a whole lot better about being able to be reached when my children are at school and I'm away from the house.

neopolss 9 years, 8 months ago

craigers, I think that as you becomes older, you don't have quite the crowd to keep in touch with anymore. I just got tired of getting called at the store, at the bank, the movies, or anywhere else except the time when it would actually be conveinant, which surprisingly, is at home.

After awhile I just got tired of people getting ahold of me anytime, anywhere. I'd rather be "OUT" for awhile and let them leave a message at home.

It may also be that I am married now, with kids, and I don't go out as much or maintain an on-the-go pace these days. I've learned to spread things out, slow down, accomplish chores a bit at a time, and overall reduce the hectic pace that many lead.

As for the features of phones, I enjoy photography, but the camera phones are simply kitchy at best.

They're great for some, but I'll pass. Maybe I'm simply tired of seeing everyone on a phone, everywhere I go. It seems that for as much freedom as the mobile allows, people still look chained to them. Just humorous observation.

Centrist 9 years, 8 months ago

No cell phone any more ... and I couldn't be happier without it.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 8 months ago

Chewbacca. It's hilarious!

Why are some people so self-righteous? "I don't have one, blah blah blah." Don't get one then! But don't look down on us who use them. Narrow-minded perfect people. Sheesh!!!

Guess what - I even watch TV too! OMG! Society will fall!

neopolss 9 years, 8 months ago

Gootsie, I never once took an elitist attitude with it. I simply stated my reasons for not wanting to have a cell phone anymore. I'm not sure if not liking a cell phone is necessarily passing judgement on those who do. I believe you may have created the connotation yourself.

I'll say it again. I'm not a fan of cell phones. If you like them, great! I had one, and after awhile it became more annoying than helpful, and I didn't really use the features that are pushed so heavily (camera phone, internet). If you like it, great. As for me, the emphasis on cool new gadgets has cooled a bit since I've grown older.

jayhawkalum 9 years, 8 months ago

AC~DC's Back in Black for most people, I'm a Jayhawk for my students, and during the NCAA tourney, I had Dicky V' s "It's Awesome Baby!" I despise Dicky V, but I lost a bet . . .

Ceallach 9 years, 8 months ago

jonas: I am leaving a message for you at the end of yesterday's line.

Ceallach 9 years, 8 months ago

The Jayhawk Fight Song. Dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah Stand up and cheer . . . . .

About a month ago I forgot to turn it off before church service, (therefore, according to Murphy's Law) it rang out loud and clear . . . . "Stand up and cheer." So many people jumped and grabbed their phones to check (apparently it is a very popular choice) that I was able to quietly turn it off without being singled out as THE ONE who disrupted a quiet moment ;)

merrywidow033 9 years, 8 months ago

i dont mind mobile phones, i think they do come in handy, sometimes.. but honestly people, if you are standing at a checkout line, it's disgustingly rude to blab away to your caller while the cashier is ringing up your items. stop running your mouth for a moment, and acknowledge the person behind that cash register. you might just make someone's day.

my ringer is set to stun.

BunE 9 years, 8 months ago

Ring...Ring

Cell phones are the bane of my existence but they are sooooooo much better than SBC. I am not a fan of people who talk on them in public and if I am feeling jaunty I will tell them to please leave. They usually do.

I am looking forward to a time when private property owner have jamming devices installed.

The triangulation capability on the phones for compliance with the federal e-911 stuff is creepy though.

happygolucky 9 years, 8 months ago

Bill Clinton "I experimented with marijuana a time or two, But I didn't like it and I didn't inhale."

South Parks "Uncle Fuka"

William Hung "She Bangs"

Ozzy "Crazy Train"

and Super Mario Bros. theme.

Have a lot more, guess I get bored easily.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 8 months ago

Merrywidow, Not that I condone talking on cell phones in checkout lines, but....I'm just wandering, what is the difference between that and having a conversation with a "real" other person in line? Is it just out of your comfort zone or is it like whispering (meaning rude)? Really am just curious as this is something that does not bother me. (Although whispering annoys the heck out of me!)

If two people were talking in another language or in sign language would you ask them to leave as well? Strictly curious!

Anyone free to comment.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 8 months ago

Used to be Ride of the Valkyries, currently Eine Kleine Nacht Music, thinkin' 'bout Hall of the Mountain King to tell me when my hubby's calling. Yup, I just use what's already in there. . .

Fangorn 9 years, 8 months ago

For quite a while it's been "Englishman in New York" by Sting. But recently I switched it to "Basket Case" by Green Day.

We ditched our land line, too, about a year ago. We were a little nervous about it at first, but I've never missed it. Now anyone can reach me wherever I am, or I can just press a button and silence the call.

sunflower_sue: I occasionally get calls just before I get to the checkout line. I keep having my conversation, but I let the caller know I'm checking my purchases. And I always greet the checker by name (they've all got tags) and interact with them also. I don't think I'm rude for having the conversation, but I would feel rude if I ignored the clerk and didn't talk to them, whether I was on the phone or not.

Fangorn 9 years, 8 months ago

sunflower_sue: I just finished reading the rest of yesterday's discussion. I left you a note at the end.