Previous   Next

Who is your favorite Harry Potter character?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on July 16, 2005

Browse the archives

“Sirius, Harry’s godfather. I was very sad when he died. I was depressed for a week.”

“I would have to say Ron, because I like his dimwittedness. It makes him funny.”

“Dobby, the little monster, because he’s cute, and I love him.”

“Actually, I like Ron. He’s a bit more mischievous than Harry. He’s always the one getting into trouble.”

Related story

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 11 years, 5 months ago

My little sister [16] aspires to Hermione. She bought a Time Turner from noblecollection.com and everything. Lord help us.

I've never read a Harry Potter book! I guess that makes me the biggest nerd ever! =(

enochville 11 years, 5 months ago

Harry is my favorite character, although I like Hermione a lot. Professor Dumbledore is great; he is so wise.

jonas 11 years, 5 months ago

Got to go with Dumbledore, cuz he's just the best.

Redneckgal 11 years, 5 months ago

I've never read one of the books either but my son used to. I'd have to say that probably Harry himself. From the cover of the books with his little round face and little round glasses he looks like a lovable little nerd (and I mean that in a good way!) Kind of reminds me of my son when he was younger before he got contacts.

ms_canada 11 years, 5 months ago

Green eyes - not as big a nerd as me, I have never even seen any of the movies. Not my style. I am more for Lord of the Rings. My favourite in those in Samwise Gamgee. I like him for his loyalty to Frodo. Now I will just wait for someone to complain about me being off topic. Actually, from the previews that I have seen of Harry Potter, I think I would have to go with Maggie Smith as the head teacher, is she? I like her. Am I saved?

Ceallach 11 years, 5 months ago

GreenEyedBlues, I too am a member of the nerds club (if there isn't one, one should be started :) having never read Harry Potter. I am LOTR all the way. From the TV and movie preview clips I like the girl, Hermione. In Harry Potterdom, the characters I like most are the adult population so enthralled by the series that they wear costumes, quote characters, and let their inner child have a really good time with it. It would be interesting to conduct a survey to determine who in fact enjoys Harry more, adults or children.

omb: Viggo doesn't have to act, just stand there and look pretty, oh excuse me, look kingly.

?? If a poster is replying to another poster who was a little off subject, is that okay? Or, do we then have a double infraction?

Ceallach 11 years, 5 months ago

Yucks? LOTR rules -- I think your head must still be fuzzy from last night's Harry bash -- you may have been given a potion of some sort, I doubt that you can ever completely trust what you ingest at a party for a sorcerer :)

GreenEyedBlues 11 years, 4 months ago

LOTR rocks my world! I turned on the TV yesterday while cooking and caught my favorite part of the Twin Towers, when the orcs take a break near the Forest of Fangorn and bicker about being hungry. Grotesque as they are, they nonetheless had a ton of personality.

My favorite characters were Galadriel and Arwen... They had perfect skin and great hair complete with a healthy white aura. The elf scenes were like Revlon commercials! LOVE it!

As in most cases, the movies were great, but the books are better.

Celeste Plitz 11 years, 4 months ago

I absolutely adore Harry Potter, but my fave character is Tonks. I finished the book about 6 am this morning, and I must say it was awesome, but also shocking.

And who says you have to like just one or the other (HP vs LOTR)?

I love both!

Ceallach 11 years, 4 months ago

e_m, good job! er... I mean... good (Ogres) job...no, I mean... hmmm (I just can't seem to get the hang of it), guess it must be a gift!

Celeste: You are right, we should be free to love both Harry Potter and LOTR, and we are!! Unfortunately, unless you want to be trolled, you must only speak of the love you feel for the one we're asked to discuss on a particular day.

hmmmm. I wonder if Hermione would think that someone should write a song about that -- "love the one your're with" -- it just might catch on!

linux_chick 11 years, 4 months ago

omb- I just read your post from yesterday. I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was really good. Burton made the old classic new with his off-the-wall directing style.

Also, appropriate for the kiddies :)

More of what I thought of the show, here, if anyone is interested: http://cometothia.blogspot.com/2005/07/burtons-chocolate-factory-treat.html

ms_canada 11 years, 4 months ago

linux - in the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, there is an actor mentioned named David Kelly. Is this the same David Kelly from the movie, Waking Ned Divine which is one of my favourite movies and Mr. Kelly is also a favourite of mine. Also greatly admire Johnny Depp, think he is a really great actor. I have already commented about the topic of the day, so extreme makeover don't jump on my bones, please :o) Be a sweetheart, woncha? Oh and linux. Loved the blue bathroom, think I'll change mine.

linux_chick 11 years, 4 months ago

canada: Yep, it's the same guy. I haven't seen the movie, but read the cast list here:

IMDB is a good database for finding out about your favorite movies and actors, fyi. Thanks for the compliment on our bathroom, too. We like it very much.

ms_canada 11 years, 4 months ago

linux - yes I have been using the imdb site for years. It is great, everyone it you don't know the site. Thanks linux for mentioning it. Anybody else think that Waking Ned Divine is a great movie. I was given it for Christmas 2 years ago and have watched it, to my delight, 15 times now. Sounds crazy but it sure is a movie to pull one out of the doldrums. Too funny by far. One other thing that I just love about it is the music. It is an Irish movie but filmed on the Isle of Man. Just great. Please try it, you won't be disappointed.

linux_chick 11 years, 4 months ago

omb: agreed. I was wiping away tears at points. Burton is truly off his rocker.

canada: the Ned movie sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out, probably today... if I ever get this paper done.

enochville 11 years, 4 months ago

Joining in late...I love LOTR! I think Peter Jackson did such a great job that I want to watch his new King Kong, even though I have never been a fan of the Gorilla. I saw War of the Worlds last night. I liked it, but think it deserves an R rating instead of PG-13. The gore gets pretty intense, but I guess standards are slipping as people of all ages get slowly desensitized.

Thanks, Linux for being so open. You are the first poster that I have seen completely, voluntarily lose their anonymity. Nice site.

enochville 11 years, 4 months ago

Just an example of how far we have come. I've heard that the original black and white version of King Kong was so scary to the movie goers in their day that there were reports of people passing out in the theater. Now it is seen as so comical and artifical.

imagold 11 years, 4 months ago

Thanks. Sirius is still alive where I'm at in book #5.

hottruckinmama 11 years, 4 months ago

i think delivrance is the strangest movie i ever saw. not really scary just very very weird

Carmenilla 11 years, 4 months ago

Coming in late, everyone. Love the topic and the "off" topics as well.

My favorite characters in the Harry Potter series have to be Hermione (strong female role model for all those young girls out there) and Rubeus Hagrid for his sheer oafishness and his way with mythical creatures. What a softy!

Also, Ceallach I almost spat out my drink when I read your post about Viggo. He's pretty friggin' "kingly", I agree!

Lastly, linux_chick you are one lovely lady! Thanks for the link to your blogspot. It was an enjoyable read. Can I ask....What is your ethnicity? You are very unique looking. Go on with your bad self!!!

Have a good weekend everybody. My kid's outta town with the grandparents and I got a hot date with my hubby. Don't wait up for me ;)

Chris Bohling 11 years, 4 months ago

Ginny Weasley wins hands down for sheer awesomeness.