Previous   Next

Would you sign a petition to lift the fireworks ban in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 12, 2005

Browse the archives

“Sure, I probably would. Everybody already shoots them off early.”

“I think I would. As long as they are used responsibly and respectfully, there is no reason people can’t tolerate them for three days.”

“No. I think fireworks are dangerous for kids, and parents have proven pretty irresponsible in controlling them.”

“I don’t think I would. I think the danger of fire is large and it’s just not worth it. There are plenty of rural areas to shoot fireworks off, and I love fireworks.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 10 months ago

LPD writing up 50 out of 300 sends the wrong message. Is it any wonder the ordinance was basically ignored. No doubt they were doing as they were told.

The LPD nas not been writing tickets for those violating the new no left turns on 23rd...cuz they were following orders.

The same irresponsible and inconsiderate users were out and about. Still freaking out pets and in general showing no respect for those around them. Blasting away until the wee hours and costing the city more in tax dollars keeping emergency staff on the run.

The answer is absolutely not. No to a special election.

pierced_daisy 9 years, 10 months ago

On one hand, I'd vote sure, lift it. But only to keep the burn units up and running through the summer.

On the other hand, I have been blessed with neighbors who find that M-80's, bottle rockets and those gator tails (like a huge bottle rocket that makes a ZIIIIING! noise) are fun to light off less than four feet from my gas tank in my backyard. And who doesnt love being woken up in the middle of the night to loud firecrackers? Even better, when the remmants of the firecracker hit your roof with the sound of a hail storm.

Sure.....lift the ban. Hey, maybe we can get a cop to use a radar gun to see how fast those babies can go! oh wait shoot, I forgot. They have absolutely no idea how to work those darned contraptions.

: ): ): ):)

pierced_daisy 9 years, 10 months ago

Heya average -

That story brings about a poll question to mind: should we reinstate corporal punishment? :)

neopolss 9 years, 10 months ago

Let's take away all guns, because criminals have guns. Then we'll complain because we have no guns and the criminals have still found guns. It's the same analogy. We're punishing the city for the actions of a few. The safety concerns are overblown as usual, and the whiners and negative-nancies are getting their way again. They'll never be satisfied people - not until all of hide behind the curtains at home with our doors locked.

This ban is simply a larger waste of resources. Now there's FOUR squad cars out just for fireworks? And did it stop the use of fireworks? No. I can tell you this much - it never will. Growing up in a town where fireworks were banned since I was old enough to know, every year there were plenty of people violating that law - to do less would be unamerican.

jonas 9 years, 10 months ago

I would, but I don't have any fingers left.

I just dictate, I have a special computer.

megorama 9 years, 10 months ago

neopolss: I agree, the fireworks ban is a tremendous waste of resources. Were fireworks that big of a problem pre-ban days? I didn't live here then so I wouldn't know...

hottruckinmama 9 years, 10 months ago

Ban or no ban it don't stop us. We shoot 'em off anyway.

ladysilk 9 years, 10 months ago

There is a fireworks ban in Lawrence? :)

acg 9 years, 10 months ago

Crotchfruit? LOL that was awesome! I've heard them called crumbsnatchers, curtain climbers and my personal fav, rug monkeys but never crotchfruit.

tir 9 years, 10 months ago

The ban is a joke. People in my neighborhood shoot fireworks off in the middle of the night whenever it suits them. There's no point in reporting incidents like this. The jerks do it just long enough to wake everyone up, but not long enough for the police to catch them if anyone calls in the violation. Nothing anyone can do about it but say a few choice bad words, and then try to go back to sleep.

Redneckgal 9 years, 10 months ago

Ottawa too has had a ban for as long as I can remember but it never has stopped much of anyone...you just have to be a little quicker to light and run :) either that or have a scanner close at hand.

pierced_daisy 9 years, 10 months ago

Let's make it interesting.....ban the punk sticks used to light the firecrackers.

See how many people can light them with lighters and get away quick enough.

Ive got fifty that says that wiry kid with ADHD can jump away quick enough without loosing more than two fingers.

Any takers?

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

Leave the ban alone. It doesn't really stop people from shooting them off, but gives heftier penalties to the "few" that cause property damage.

Accountability is good.

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

I think the banned should be lifted. perhaps keep some limits on what can be shot off, like no bottle rockets. The ban is useless anyway people still shot off fireworks.

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

I agree, happy, that the ban is useless in that regard. I don't think the police ever were serious about enforcing it.

rhd99 9 years, 10 months ago

I know the ban is useless, because in my neighborhood people have shot off fireworks & none of the cops have shown their faces to issue citations. City Hall does not have the will to add teeth to this RIDICULOUS ordinance. Note the word ridiculous because the ordinance is just another piece of paper that has no backbone.

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

As someone stated the other day when this was the topic, instead of banning the fireworks they need to go around on the 5th and issue litter citations so that at least the mess is cleaned up. Fireworks are going to be shot off regardless of a ban but make them clean it up when their done!

rhd99 9 years, 10 months ago

By the way, I'd be the first one to sign a petition just so I can make a note to certain politicians "unless you all start showing some backbone in ordinances (like fireworks bans)you pass, we don't have the time or the patience!" That is directed to all but two commissioners, who I might add have more guts than many I have seen over the years!

Staci Dark Simpson 9 years, 10 months ago

Lift the ban already!! Then lets place bets on what is banned next.

Liberty 9 years, 10 months ago

Yes, lift the ban. It was a bad idea from the beginning and very unpatriotic, not to mention unpopular. It will bring more business back to Lawrence as families will gather together again in Lawrence to celebrate instead of some other place. Invite freedom and business back to Lawrence.

If the people that worry about fireworks would take the time to wet their roofs with a hose in a high activity area, it is highly unlikely that anything will damage their roof. A very simple easy thing to do. I have seen many years of fireworks in Lawrence and never any damage to a house. If people use common sense, and parents use proper judgement and instruction with their children, it will be a safe and enjoyable Independence Day. I suggest that the people that were for the ban redirect their attention to parents to give proper instruction to their kids. Why not go out and show them the proper way to shoot off fireworks and be a role model and show them that you can have fun too. They might start to like you and listen.

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

Businesses like Pines are not going to continue to sell fireworks or have their display at the tee-pee if the ban is not lifted. That is sad because Pines have been selling for MANY years!! That money will be spent elsewhere why not keep it here in Douglas county.

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

The kids putting the petition together may just be the key. It was teenagers that got the skate park allowed

rhd99 9 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, but the problem here in Lawrence is that Political Correctness outweighs the timeless virtue of common sense. Common Sense never has nor will it ever prevail if people continue to push for fireworks bans such as this. Common sense, & proper supervision (parental wise) is KEY!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 10 months ago

Since I live outside the city limits, I would feel I had no right to sign a petition on the matter, so I would not sign it (although I pay taxes). If I did live in the city, I would sign it. I feel that most people want to have fireworks and are responsible.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 10 months ago

BTW, the city I grew up in just had a ban on anything with a "rapport". Bottle rockets, firecrackers, etc... We still shot them off and would occassionally see a cop drive by. We were always on the lookout because we knew who our snobby neighbors were and that they would turn us in. Kids can run and hide pretty fast and I don't see any cop chasing down a "crotchfruit" (I liked that term as well) ;0) Kids just being kids. None of us ended up in juvie hall or anything.

Tasslehoff 9 years, 10 months ago

Ahh, remembering those black cats with the fast fuses going off right near my fingers and the blisters that went with them, the bottle rocket wars we had, interesting to have a ball from an exploding roman candle go by your head and explode. These are things that teenagers do...oh yeah, and the bottlerocket into the window of your car, was that fun. I don't want to take away the use of fireworks away from kids, with proper supervision they can be a lot of fun, let kids run wild with them and the above happens. Also, what started all this was the house fire started by a rocket type firework. The complex I live in is very narrow, but people shoot the things off with all these roofs around here it does get a tad scary, these are college kids doing this, not to put a bad name on them of course, but I remember what was fun to me back then, and looking back, I was very foolish. There must be a continuing provision that those who use fireworks if the ban is lifted, are responsible for what damage they may incur, with parental liability as well so the damage doesn't get written off as "kids will be kids" I believe there would be precedence in the fact that letting their kids run wild with fireworks would be considered "negligence" on the parent's part. It sounds like I could go either way, does the fun the kids and parents have outweigh the danger of house fires and the above mentioned car fire? Or would it be just as fun to go to the park and watch the big boys do it for real at the River?

beatrice 9 years, 10 months ago

This tired story again.

The ban is about safety concerns. How can anyone say with certainty where the burning embers will fall when an explosive is sent skyward? Just because a bottle rocket didn't light something else on fire 999 times in a row, doesn't mean it won't happen on the 1000th time. I don't want to put my house at risk so someone down the block can blow stuff up all night long ... not even for three days. Thus the ban is about public safety, not political correctness. The city limits aren't that far away. Just go there to blow stuff up. People use to shoot guns in the air on the 4th. Do we want to bring that back, too? Again, public safety. Much like the smoking ban. (Okay, I must admit, as a home owner and a person who believes in employee's rights, the fireworks and smoking bans are two things that I strongly support. As if you couldn't figure that out.)

Now, for those who don't like sarcasm (ie. italianprincess), please stop reading.

In reality, I want to sign a petition that allows bars to shoot off fireworks indoors. Oh sure, a few employees and customers might come to a horrible, fiery death, but who cares! It will be real cool to watch, it will be a new tradition, and it will be great for business!

Or, why don't we just have a lottery. We can all gather around the winner's home, and torch it! No one dies, and we only do it one weekend a year. Our sacrifice will show everyone how much we really love this country. God bless America!

This political advertisement paid for by Pyros for Patriotism

neopolss 9 years, 10 months ago

Address the real issue. People have problems with litter. While I do not see a reason to force everyone to clean up the night of the fourth (who cleans up right after a party?), I could see that issuing citations for litter beginning the sixth would be adequate. That gives one full day to clean up any litter. As for fire etc., again, the issue isn't shooting fireworks, but rather illegal (bottle rockets) or improper use. Police can respond to these complaints, as the number of calls would be drastically reduced if limited to these types of incidents.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 10 months ago

There you go beatrice...send them all outside the city limits to burn down all the farmers houses instead of yours! Thats a real good plan (not).

neopolss 9 years, 10 months ago

Your curling iron could short and cause a fire perhaps 1 out of 500,000 times. Yet there is an inherent risk using it. I don't want to put my house at risk so that someone can have a nice curl.

Another negative nancy. Life has risks. Why not enjoy a few of them in life.

hottruckinmama 9 years, 10 months ago

Oh hell no! Don't send her to the country offtotheright. She sounds like a city slicker for sure. We don't need any more like her out here.

hottruckinmama 9 years, 10 months ago

Bet she'd have the law called on ya every night of the week offtotheright!

Drogo 9 years, 10 months ago

I happen to live in the rural areas, and frankly, I am tired of the banned fireworks all ending up on my neighbors' and our property. I would sign anything to keep the inconsiderate, trash dumping, tresspassing, jerks from town off of our roads.

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

The ban is truly a joke. If anything, the middle of the night fireworks in my neighborhood just seem to get bigger and louder. I swear, 1 am sounded like a battle zone this year.

I say pass the petition, get as many signatures as possible. The firework related accidents represent such a small number when compared to the overall population. I have lived in Lawrence for more years than many of you have lived :) The vast majority of parents teach their children proper usage and oversee the festivities so that everyone has a good time and the chance of injuries is minimal.

I have never been a fireworks enthusiast, but 99% of my family are -- we are a large family and have never had more than a blister or two, maybe some ringing ears, due to firecrackers. The responsible adults and children should not be banned from celebrating the holiday just because a few people either don't know or don't care about teaching the safety practices associated with fireworks.

rhd99 9 years, 10 months ago

Pyros for Patriotism?! Is that all one can think of for all of us who support fireworks uses in Lawrence?! You call that creative?! It's a crying shame that more people are considered the silent majority while the loud minority get their way all the time. Get rid of this STUPID ban NOW!!

Tony Kisner 9 years, 10 months ago

I was a parent supervisor when a rocket of some sort took off sideways and caught my neighbors bushes on fire. Before I could run 50 feet to the bush a little 6 inch flame became an inferno. I felt like Mosses and God was talking very loud.

Lesson learned if you want to write a check to your neighbor and feel about 2" inches tall becuase they are very nice people - shoot off all the fire works you want. They seem to be made with the upmost care and responsibility, I filed a law suit with a very reputable fire work manufacturer in China and am waiting currently for a check to cover the damages. Should be coming any day.

pierced_daisy 9 years, 10 months ago

For some reason, Im feeling rational.

How about instead of getting rid of the ban and have the fourth of july weekend turn into a virtual war zone with exploding tiny gun powder filled torpedoes zinging this way and that and instead offer a compromise.

Lift the ban, but only in designation city areas. Like the bigger parks. Which parks - I have no earthly idea. But alteast it'd confine the area of loud whizzbangs and zinging whatnots. And heck, just for the pure completetion of this fantasy - we could put the courts to good use and have people doing community service do the clean up.

WIN WIN oh yeah. I shoulda been a lawyer.

Duck 9 years, 10 months ago

I lived in the burned down apartment complex that sparked (no pun intended) the ban. It's all fine and good to say fireworks are safe in the hands of the right people, but who is going to enforce these sales to "the right people"? I was forced to stay in a hotel for a week and go through an insurance nightmare because some parents couldn't supervise their children whilst lighting off fireworks. How has this changed in the last 5 or so years? Have children somehow gained the ability to make smart decisions because of this ban? Is this 16 year old KID that is in charge of the petition going to stand outside my current home with a fire extinguisher? Is he going to supervise the children while they literally play with fire?

Before you peg me as a fuddy duddy, I'm a 27 year old male that enjoys a good time as much as the next dude, I just don't need to blow things up to do it. If you do, it's called pyromania, and you should seek treatment as it is a bona fide psychological disorder.

This petition is laughable at best. I hope it fails miserably.

average 9 years, 10 months ago

That's the compromise we came up with on Larryville, too. I suggested a regional year-round free fire zone out of part of the Sunflower Army Ammo plant. Sell booth space, both to fireworks vendors and beer/burger stands. Special events for Dhiwali, and Cinco de Mayo, and Guy Fawkes'....

rhd99 9 years, 10 months ago

This is good. This is a start. Consensus building is how we deal with this kind of CRAP in the political world. Just for grins: All those in favor of getting rid of the ban say "Aye". All those against getting rid of the ban, say "Nay". This is a sure way to tell who is for a TRADITIONAL (& safe, that is fireworks that are PROPERLY used) & those who just live in a politically correct fantasy world.

pierced_daisy 9 years, 10 months ago

Hot diggity damn "average" that sounds like a fantastic idea! :D :D

rhd99 9 years, 10 months ago

Duck, my deepest apologies, but for you & everyone else, I want to leave you with this final thought: Sunday I was talking with someone & she asked me about something totally unrelated to this fireworks ban issue (the K-10 traffic study). She asked me if I supported putting in Traffic signals on K-10 at that intersection about which we hear so much. I said to her, "people need to use common sense on that highway". As unrelated as that may be, two things ring loud & clear on the K-10 issue & this stupid Fireworks ban: 1. Common sense leads to better results, which leads to fun. 2. Big brother government WILL NOT help, it will hinder. Now, those of you who support this fireworks ban, I challenge you to tell me & other fireworks SUPPORTERS this: How are fireworks stands then not considered illegal, & how has the city done it's job to enforce this STUPID ordinance, which does not have any teeth?

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

That's just what this town needs... more traffic lights.

rhd99 9 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, about the traffic lights issue, but back to the subject at hand, if the City bans the use of fireworks in an ordinance that is LAUGHABLE at best, then they by default close up fireworks stands & force those vendors like the Pines out of Lawrence. That's not capitalism. It's SOCIALISM. Another thing, why were then the Pines' fireworks stand & others like theirs not considered illegal? Cough it up, ban supporters. This should be good.

neopolss 9 years, 10 months ago

Sorry to here that Duck, but that could happen even with the ban. There's some things in life that are simply unfortunate, but we move on. I've had three different vehicle accidents (two of which involved careless students in the KU lot), each resulting in fairly totaled vehicles. I'm not asking for a ban on cars, or for stricter driving laws, or even for higher age requirements for driving. These things happen, and if we can't roll through life's punches, then instead we focus our efforts on preventing the pain. You can spend your entire life being a victim, or perhaps, take some lessons from your grandparents, get right back up, and say "We cannot prevent everything."

But you are wrong. You do sound like a fuddy duddy. And blowing things up during certain times of the year in celebration does not mean one is a pyro, no more than a night of new year's drinks makes one an alcoholic.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Now that we've bought our own home I'm a bit more spooked by fireworks being set off near it :) So, no, I'd leave the ban in place. It doesn't really stop everyone from shooting them off within the city limits anyway, but it does curb the urge somewhat for others. Besides, it's much nicer to spend the day out at the lake and either shoot off your own or watch others shoot theirs off from a distance - the waters reflection enhances the effect of the works (shot off properly .. up and in to the sky) just as it does for viewing the stars on a clear night. The down side is that you have to stay alert and keep watch for the idiots who still think its neat to drink a case of beer then use their bare hands to hold and aim the fireworks parallel to the water instead of setting them up properly. And, of course, this usually all happens just before its dark enough for the kiddies to really enjoy the light show because the adult has realized that their cooler is down to holding their last 6-pack. We actually witnessed one father light a Roman candle and hand it to his 4 or 5 yr old son with instructions to aim it out flat to the water, "like you're shooting at a bad guy," he says :( Unfortunately, there's a freaky monkey in every barrel! Regardless of, we spent this 4th of July afternoon/evening at Lone Star lake fishing, picnicking and (as safely as possible) shooting off fireworks, once it became dark enough, for our kidlet to see. Having said all this, the sky show at Lone Star was far superior to what the city of Lawrence puts on down at the river! Sad, really.

neopolss 9 years, 10 months ago

rhd99, you have a point on those firework stands. But it is pretty simple. They want their cake and to eat it too. The city doesn't want fireworks, but they still want the money form the permits and sales (and camel rides).

Carmenilla 9 years, 10 months ago

Everyone keeps shouting about common sense. Does anyone see people being responsible? Does anyone see people using common sense on the road, with their children, with fireworks? I rarely do. I see people driving like idiots and maniacs. I see children unbuckled in cars and parents turning blind eyes to parental responsibility. On the 4th, I burned sparklers with my little one while teenagers threw M-80's down sewer drains and set off Saturn missle batteries next to cars nearby us. I don't see people being responsible. All those who protest so loudly about "rights" being taken away should ask themselves how much responsibility are they willing to take. If your kid sets a roof on fire are you willing to step up and take responsibilty? If so than protest away. More often though I see people with no concept of accountability. If something bad happens they are willing to walk away as long as nobody saw them do it. Face it, we live in a society that praises individual rights but makes no attempt to wield that freedom with common sense and respect for others. I wanna give people the benefit of the doubt but so often they abuse that leniency.

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

I read that, too, rdh99, about fireworks stands being closed because of the wood in the stands not adhering to new fire safety codes. That's different from those on this board in favor of the ban for concern over the safety of their homes.

As far as the sale of fireworks in town and whether you agree or not with new safety regulations, I guess it depends on how politically correct we want this town to get. What do you guys think?

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

We probably shouldn't get carried away with throwing around terms.

It isn't socialism just because we're not allowed to everything we want.

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

I like the designated park land idea and I love the thought of those forced into community service doing the cleaning up! Although the question that brings to my mind is - if people are forced into performing community service hours -- does that really serve either the community or the "server's" rehabilitation? Hmmm.

Anyway, moving sites will not stop the rocket's red glare or the bombs bursting in air. American's do not like restrictions. American's do like fireworks, especially on Independence Day and of course New Year's Eve. We have also established the fact that we are fully capable of acts of rebellion when governmental forces arbitrarily restrict just about anything we hold dear. Families sitting in their driveways and along the curb, lighting their works and watching the neighbor's displays, in my opinion -- that's about as Americana as you can get.

Apparently the city has no intention of enforcing the current ban -- so ------- Just do it! My neighbors' did and from the looks of most Lawrence streets, many people were of the same mind.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 10 months ago

Reading what the majority of you have posted just cracks me up. Yes, you may think that the ban is "stupid" or "unpatriotic" but I love the example you go on to set for your kids: "Yes Johnny, there is a ban on fireworks in Lawrence but we're going to light them off anyway. Why? I think that the ban is stupid so I'm going to ignore it." Instead of teaching your kids to follow the law and work within the confines of the law to change something they don't like, you teach them to pick and choose which things they think are appropriate. Nice parenting.

Carmenilla 9 years, 10 months ago

Wow! I actually agree with Hong _Kong_Phooey. Just not as judgmental sounding....;-p

Redneckgal 9 years, 10 months ago

Geez I never thought of it as bad parenting Hong Kong. I just kind of thought I was teaching my kids to think for themselves.

willa 9 years, 10 months ago

I find myself agreeing with HKP too. When I first moved to Lawrence (admittedly from a rural area in the East, where fireworks were set off by adults in open fields), I was appalled by the disregard shown for safety of people and buildings by all the "patriotic" college students living around me. While I think the city's knee-jerk bans are unsound, I think if Lawrence would have enforced the laws that were already on the books about responsible use of fireworks they could have prevented the whole controversy in the first place.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

rhd - The ban is no more stupid than labeling someone who wants to shoot off fireworks a pyro! I disagree with both. I love fireworks and I'm the furthest thing from a pyro .. but I see where Duck is coming from. We once lived in a second level apartment when the apartment downstairs and one over caught fire. Its scary stuff! To think that you could lose everything, if not yours or your loved ones lives, because of another's irresponsibility. So, why are you so opposed to traveling outside city limits to do fireworks? Its not like you have to travel too far in any one direction to reach the cities limits. Are you so wrapped in the idea that its okay to shoot off what amounts to more or less a bomb with pretty colours near homes and businesses that you can't see that the city has already compromised by allowing these bombs to be set off for 3 days, every July, within feet of the cities borders?? Concern for one's safety, let alone the concern for that one's loved ones or belongings, isn't a call for Socialism. Its practical realism.

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

Some of us don't have kids ;)

Anyway, if you're trying to make a moral point to your kids by showing respect for our local laws, more power to you. That's admirable.

Shoot off fireworks, don't shoot off fireworks. Just take responsibility for your actions. If you destroy it, pay for it.

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

H_K_P: I would probably soften it a little ... you know, "Why honey, I think that the ban is just intended for people who are not careful and do not supervise their children." :):)

I gotta tell ya, a couple of decades from now your children will have such an exhaustive list of your hypocrisies, that shooting off fireworks probably won't even make the cut.

Duck 9 years, 10 months ago

neopolss,

Your analogy escapes me. Automobiles are necessary for daily life. Fireworks are not.

I have had MUCH worse things happen in my life than an apartment fire, all of which I have overcome. Me opposing fireworks doesn't make me a "victim", it makes me logical.

You can disagree all you want, but please keep your assumptions about my mental fortitude to yourself.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 10 months ago

Ah, Carmenilla, that wasn't so hard to admit now was it...

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Common sense? Parenting? BLAH! Don't make me laugh ... people pop out kids, but there isn't much "Common sense" left anymore! Our entire street is a war zone every day ... and we're supposedly in a "reasonable" neighbourhood. Kids running up and down all hours of the day & night, ages 1 and up (I'm not kidding), well out of sight of their "parents". They ride bikes and walk all over everyone's yards, they damage cars and plants ... they yell and scream constantly, and they set off fireworks with NO GUIDANCE whatsoever ... you bet your arse I'm in favour of the ban. Geez ... can't we drive for a whopping FIVE MINUTES to find a spot to set 'em off???????

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Any f***ing where outside the limits!

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

There's lakes, streams and open space aplenty, people ... fer gawdsakes ...

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

Centrist, I don't believe we have free range land beyond the city limits. All of that land is someone or some group's property.

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

We've called cops believe me .... and they keep coming by and "warning" the brats. That's all the LPD ever does .. because of "freedom".

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

The go on a dirt road somewhere! That's PUBLIC property ...

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

one_more_bob: We need some comic relief -- come back soon!!

Carmenilla 9 years, 10 months ago

H_K_P, don't rub salt in the wound. It stings my pride to agree with you ;-)

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

OTTR .. thank you. We may move yet :)

Now ... what's wrong with the lakes then as a location? As "dontpanic" said ... that is a great spot, because you get everyone else's show as well as your own.

What could be better than having a barbecue, doin' some fishing and setting off the fireworks?

Ceallach 9 years, 10 months ago

o_m_b: Sorry to have summoned you from the depths of UNIX. Been there, done that -- hang on -- it is survivable!

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright - What DO you consider to be fun? You misunderstood, and you clearly can't relate. I wasn't suggesting that everyone do as we did. I was simply stating that this IS what we did. And, no, you can't ban everything, but you should be able to take a vote and ban what the MAJORITY feels is harmful to the community. Do you want that "drunken red-neck hand(ing) over the bag of fireworks to (his) 4-5 year old kid with a lit punk" aiming that child in the direction of YOU or something (someone) that you give a crap about? Its the irresponsibility of people like this that cause the city to believe that fireworks within its limits should be banned. What is so hard to understand about that?!

Those who are upset by this ban have little respect for the feelings of those who understand, if not agree, with the ban. Personally, I respect the view points of those upset by this ban, but I would better understand the gripe of these individuals if ALL choices concerning the issue lead to a dead end. This particular ban does not! WHY is it so hard for someone to say "Okay, there's a ban on fireworks in the city. No biggie! We'll just drive out of town on the night and set off our bag of goodies."?

No harm. No fuss. No worries!

Why do these people feel the need to set off bombs near homes, businesses, etc.? And, even if you're not one of these people and you're just one of those who opposes any and all bans, why on earth would you condone the irresponsible act of those who do want to do this??

A little common sense goes a heck of a looong way, people.

Carmenilla 9 years, 10 months ago

I love it when panties are in a bunch or twisted. People get ta squirmin'!!!

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Screw it ... let's not have any laws. Then see how far you "freedom fighters" get on the street ...

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

lol .... like "litter" is now the issue ... lol ... seen the HIGHWAYS and ROADS lately, that ADJOIN properties?

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

OMB: you're coding with vi on a unix box? fantastic...

what do you think so far?

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Bob ... the issue is fireworks. You should fight fire with fire, not this. Litter is bad, yes, and I am somewhat environmental too, but the issue here is public safety. Oh and by the way, there are more than "city folks" driving on those roads. Some people actually live in rural areas. Gosh, where would I find any of those in KANSAS?

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Bob - Nah :) I'm a re-born goodie-two-shoe. I pick up my litter! My grandparents owned a place in the country. Though my grandpa wouldn't allow fireworks on his property, we would go across the dirt road and walk about a mile up the road to his neighbors house. The neighbor had no horses, dogs, blah blah blah .. only a small chicken coop and some indoor cats. He would always allow us to shoot off our pre-approved fireworks in his ultra-long driveway AS LONG as we picked up the mess after :)

There's an idea!

Has anyone ever considered ASKING the farmer if you can set off your works on their property?

Along with common sense going a long way, respect for others can take you even further.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Centrist - So you were born and raised a "city boy?" >;-)

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Bob, so let me get this right. 'Rural' people are good. "Urban" people are bad. Hmm ... guess I'm gonna have to get me a rural existence, since I'm such a littering, bad, person.

Look, we are generalizing WAY too much today. People are people, and are NOT all the same within a demographic group. I have lived in both urban and rural environments my whole life and I do know this much: in every group of people, there will ALWAYS be a percentage of idiots who don't use their brains (if they have any). So why should the majority of responsible people suffer? We have a working democracy (that's arguable another time) and the law can be changed, if enough people agree. In the meantime, this sort of discourse helps a whole lot, because people talk it out and eventually the law catches up. I believe that in this case, the ban is good. But it should be enforced, or removed. Simple. I love fireworks too, but I'm not too lazy to drive for a few minutes and set 'em off in the meantime.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Oh, offtotheright, don't forget un-natural hair colours, hemp, silicone boobs, mole removal, toenail clippings, blatant expressions of public affections, ...

neopolss 9 years, 10 months ago

Posted by Hong_Kong_Phooey on July 12 at 1:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Actually, that's exactly how one would challenge the constitutionality of a law, as most issues are not heard without a pending court case. In this case when a law is beyond the approval of the common public, it ceases to be a law of the people.

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

I LIVE in East Lawrence ... maybe I should come to your house and leave my trash with you.

Consider it yanked .. LOL

But seriously, we in the East who are not Trailer Trash or Crack House people are sick of the negative attention. Bad enuff the City does it to us ... so forgive us if we are a little "touchy".

Cheers.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright - I THINK NOT!

I live in E Lawrence. I don't know what part of E Lawrence you're talking about, but it certainly isn't the area in which I live (just east of the Harper divide.) Though we have a few crappy apples in our cul-de-sac, in general, those living here do give a damn about curb appeal, etc.

You're not ignorant, but, no offence, you're statement was stupid!

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

I was driving in E. Lawrence yesterday and wondering how I would manage down the infant-infested streets.

Maybe OTTR should start his own 'no-toddler' ban in Lawrence.

I agree!

[chanting]

BAN THE TODDLERS! BAN THE TODDLERS!! BAN THE TODDLERS!!!

lol

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Bob, I got it because you insinuated that only "city folks" litter up the highways and that only "rural folks" took care of the land.

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

OTTR, you're right. There has to be a cost-benefit analysis to take into consideration.

The question is whether the annual property damage (not to mention physical injuries, but no one seems to worry much about that) is worth tradition and entertainment.

neopolss 9 years, 10 months ago

Posted by Duck on July 12 at 2:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

neopolss,

I will do no such thing with my assumptions. I must have touched on a truth there to bring about such hostility.

Can't understand the analogy? Well, the fact that you support taking away a fun holiday activity on account that some jack@$$ burnt your apartment down seems to indicate that you'll let someone else dictate your fun. I on the other hand, would be right there next year to show that despite a few bad eggs, I will not let such an incident ruin it for me. Another analogy is my earlier post on criminals with guns.

Not everything in life is logical. If so, our kids wouldn't play outside for the fear of abduction or injury (logically it would be more likely to happen outside), we wouldn't go anywhere, and most of us would crap away our existance hiding in the shadows so that nothing bad ever happens to us.

There was a time when parents and kids and neighbors would join together in the neighborhood. The dads would grill, kids would play, music, fun, and family. This ban detroyed that festive spirirt - and why? Because a few people want to ruin it for the rest of us, and we gave in. So now, none of us enjoy our festivities, and they (the bad eggs) continue to have their fun.

You're right. It's so much better now.

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

I say ban PARENTING until people take a course in it!

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

You guys see something of yours destroyed and then see how happy you are to turn the other cheek.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

(Bob)... and watch them blow off their faces and fingers from a safe distance and laugh gleefully.

Sound advice :)

Actually, for once, I agree with Hong_Kong_Phooey. Its the parents job to set an example for their kids.

Maybe we should be discussing "Parental Licensing" on this board instead of the firework ban? :) Gawd knows that I've met my share of people who should never have been allowed to breed! lol

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

Laugh it up all you want, but the next Pamela Butler will probably be from Lawrence.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright - No. Those kind of parents don't see that it's because of their actions that their child is gone. So you'll never hear them crying about how they want their child back and promising to "never to let her/him play in the street alone again." They prefer to blame someone else, take the oh, woe is me approach and sue.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Toddler army? I was thinking more along the "gangs" vein, myself :)

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

No place is perfect, but why shouldn't we at least try to clean it up? BTW, OTTR, you should start complaining about your stuffy neighbour ... find any little thing you can, and complain about THEM. Maybe they'll move .. hehe

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

But Bob ... why would you need barbed wire? It's so "safe" out there! LOL ..

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright - I'm "that" neighbor .. but not so extreme. I do bitch about cars being parked on "my" curb. I complain constantly about people pulling into my driveway to turn around. And, gawd forbid a ball the kids are playing with lands in my yard .. it ends up in my garbage can right in front of their eyes (I'm evil.)

Did I mention that I live in E Lawrence.

I guess no neighborhood is safe from the stuffies here :)

Carmenilla 9 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright, with all that complaining your neighbor does it sounds like you 2 are match made in heaven.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Centrist - Even the countryside isn't safe from the toddler gangs. The barbed wire is only a temporary fix to keep the little devils back. You need a big mean pit bull trained to kill for full protection cheezy

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

OTTR, that is evil ......... I love it!

DP, I think I know where I can get one of those dawgs ... LOL

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

Toddler Armies tied up in barbed wire.......? what is this board coming too? No matter where you go there you are! Every area has bad points and good points. My neighborhood is pretty good except the house at the end of the block where the parents lock the kids outside all day so we have to listen to them screaming they want back inside. But during Dec., Jan., and Feb. things are pretty quiet!

The ban is stupid, and I don't even like setting off fireworks! Those that are idiots and shoot off the big ones unsafely are still going to do that regardless of some UNINFORCABLE BAN. Why put the penalty on those that have common sense and are safe about it. If the concern then turns to we need it to be able to punish those that are idiots, then make laws for accountablity. But DO NOT Ban something for everyone because of the few idiots that are just that IDIOTS

linux_chick 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanx. My B-day was great.

Mark TOB down for two votes: one for Boog and one for no persons w/in city limits under 3 years.

You guys are great :)

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

All foolin' aside .. I would love to purchase a small farm out on the countryside. When I was younger (I'm only 30 something now!) I couldn't wait to leave the country. I did all my partying in the city, yet somehow a large group of us always ended back up out in the country with a bonfire and a case of beer shrugs Anywho, back to the "now that I'm older" thing, having a few acres, a horse, maybe a milk cow, goat and a few chickens would be grrreat!

And I could set off all the fireworks I want to on MY property because its outside the city limits, so .. .. ..

;p~ ~

[thththtt]

I agree!

[chanting]

BAN THE HIPPIES! BAN THE HIPPIES!! BAN THE HIPPIES!!!

lol

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

d_p did you forget all the work that goes along with those animals and acres?? I too grew up in the country and vowed I'd never go back. I still feel that way.

Carmenilla 9 years, 10 months ago

You couldn't ring my bell with a ten-foot pole, OTTR.

Really I just can't stand your constant bitchin'! I've never read a comment from you that says anything constructive or helpful. In fact, I think the only reason you post is to whine. You only talk about all the things that are wrong. You have no ideas for real change. Why are you so negative? Do you need a hug from a hippie?

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

We used to have the yipping dogs down the street too til one day they got out. One was a pitbull with a bad rap sheet. It never came back home. That day was not so fun cuz the before mention kids were out the dogs were out. You get the picture. The STUPID parents still didn't let the kids in! Animal control took the dogs, but could have been really bad!

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

happy - No, I hadn't completely forgotten about that ugh But now that you mention it, maybe just a horse .. I really really really miss having one of those. Oh! and a few less acres than originally considered :) Then again, there's nothing better than fresh milk, or the cream skimmed off the top yumyum And a goat helps keep the lawn down lol And the eggs! Fresh, organic brown eggs to eat and/or cook with ...

offtotheright - There IS nothing like it! :)

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

d_p, that sounds nice ... but you can't eat those things, coz they're all bad for you, if you believe all the shows/reports/magazinez .. LOL

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

Get arcana chickens that way they are already colored for easter.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Carmenilla - This post from OTTR is pretty "positive." --> [offtotheright] "That is where I'll end up too don't_panic. There is nothing like it!"

BAN THE HIPPIES! BAN THE HIPPIES!!

Have yooou hugged a hippie today? lol

Just joking :) My mum was a bit of a hippie herself.

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

the eggs that is. Arcana's lay yellow green blue and pink eggs

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

You have to have a license to drive. You have to be registered to vote.

Parental licensing, anyone?

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

d_p I do miss the horses nothing like the feeling of freedom when you're riding one and I guess the fresh raw cows milk WAS pretty awesome whole milk just taste so watered down. but still a lot of work

Carmenilla 9 years, 10 months ago

Well, if you weren't so self-obsessed OTTR you would see that I posted ages ago around 1:30 concerning the fireworks ban.

I have to pick on you because you are such a "Debbie Downer". Don't you have anything nice to say?

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

yes really precolored eggs not brightly colored but colored none the less

Genetically modified Chooks. Colored eggs - sounds good! LOL

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

happy - All we ever had was white and brown. COOL! :) I haaate coloring Easter eggs lol These daze we kinda half arse dip 'em in dye and slap on a sticker or two, usually on the day of. Sometimes we just slap on the stickers. I have a boy .. he's not quite as fussed just as long as he gets to do the hunting part :)

I wonder if there's a farm around that sells this sort of thing year round?

Anyone know a farmer in the area that deals in Arcana chicken eggs??

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

Carmenilla don't fret some one pi**ed in his cheerios. If everyone was HAPPY all the time life wouldn't be much fun

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

go to the county fair in August they usually have a couple being judged you can find out who has them and where to get them. They are a smaller chicken too so not as messy

happyone 9 years, 10 months ago

have a good one guys I'm done for the day. DON"T WORRY ..... BE HAPPY :)

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

happy (or OTTR) - Ever churn your own butter from fresh cow's cream? My grandma would put whatever was needed into a sterilized coffee can and tape the lid safely shut. Then she would hand the can off to the grandsons (and granddaughters, if they were interested) and we'd all pile out the door to throw it around like a football .. until the timer granny set would go off. Then we'd bring it in and she would pack the can in an ice bath (or something like that.)

Fresh, homemade, no chemicals butter to go on fresh, homemade from scratch in granny's kitchen biscuits!

Tell a kid to go outside and do something like that for fun these daze and they'd laugh at you :)

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

I really miss those daze. And it makes my heart ache when I see my own son growing up without these sort of things happening in his youth.

Oh well.

Redneckgal 9 years, 10 months ago

have a great evening everyone! I'm off to shoot off the last of the M-80's and bottle rockets now. If I don't post tomorrow..well you'll know the neighbors called the cops.

Jillster 9 years, 10 months ago

neopolss wrote:

"While I do not see a reason to force everyone to clean up the night of the fourth (who cleans up right after a party?), I could see that issuing citations for litter beginning the sixth would be adequate. That gives one full day to clean up any litter."

Okay...if the litter is in the middle of the street (where it usually is), how will cops know to whom the citation should be issued? If fireworks are set off by my neighbors across the street, will I get a ticket if the cops think the mess belongs to me?

I don't think that is an ideal solution, either...on July 5, it's impossible to tell who shot off the fireworks and left the litter, and who is going to 'fess up and say they did it if the cops come around?

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

what i dont understand is this... a few years ago there was a house fire caused by a bottle rocket, which were illegal but there wasn't a ban yet on all fireworks in Lawrence...apparently that just shows me that people that do illegal fireworks such as the bottle rockets or maybe m80's would be the ones to cause fires or blow their hand off, i think maybe if fireworks are goin to be banned, why not specific fireworks, not all but snap pops, im sorry but snap pops just dont give me the 4th of july feeling i had since i was little growin up in Lawrence... i would definitley sign that petition, last thing id like to say is.... thanx alot to those immature people out there that ruined my family's favorite get-together holiday...

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Red - Or your being fitted for a new hand, foot, arm or leg prosthesis :)

Have a good one!

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright..that is possibly the saddest thing ive ever heard

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

BTW, while you're all whining about how your holiday was ruined just because you have to drive a few miles to set fireworks off, think about this. In Australia, Britain and some other places, they used to have "Guy Fawkes Night" in November. There was no 4th of july holiday (duh). After the mid-1970's, fireworks were 100% banned ................. so cry and whinge about WHERE you can do them all you want, but at least you're still allowed to set 'em off!

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

chevy - EXACTLY! Its the immature and irresponsible that ruined it for those of us who are mature and responsible.

Although I support the ban, I also agree that if its not going to be enforced, why have it? Its all or nothing!

And, with the number of irresponsible adults out there today .. gawd help us if its "nothing."

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

Centrist...i fortunately DO have friends and family that live outside of city limits, but what about people that dont? are they supposed to just drive out n park on the side of the highway n light stuff off? ok guys! our family gathering will be on ol 59 this year! we can watch the pretty fireworks and almost get hit by a car....come on now centrist...and who cares what australia n britain do! we r in AMERICA and its OUR INDEPENDENCE we r celebrating here!!

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

chev .... why not have the "family gathering" at the lake! You can set them off there ... see dont_panic's points from earlier. Or you can have your gathering at home, then all go somewhere for the fireworks. My point is that there are still choices available to you. They haven't taken it away, they're just trying to prevent damage to property, people and animals.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

chevy - The point I think Centrist was trying to get across is that maybe we shouldn't be whining about what we don't have .. other's have less .. and we should be celebrating what we do have .. because, in general, we have far more.

As far as not "care(ing) what Australia and Britain do", I say to you .. broaden your horizons, think outside the box and stop being so selfish.

So what. You're holiday was screwed. Grow a set, move on and find something better to do with your time on the 4th of July .. like be glad that you have a family to spend it with!

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

OTTR - Its legal to set fireworks off at both Clinton and Lone Star. The city (I believe, but don't quote me on it) cleans up the mess those who aren't considerate enough to pick up after themselves leave behind.

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

They have trash cans out there. It would be no more messy than the streets of Lawrence (phew!)

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

dont_panic...ok ok ill "grow a set" ..not sure a set of what i sure wish u would fill me in on that one...but yea i got it! next year on the fourth ill sit at home n ...KNIT stuff! way funner than doin fireworks!!! THANX ALOT FOR THE ADVICE!....

n i kno im bein a smart@$$...and i am thankful i have a family to spend it with, just wish i could make better memories with them....example..on the 4th doin fireworks so the younger kids can experience what i did when i was little...

Fangorn 9 years, 10 months ago

Wow! Approaching 200 today. All I need to ask is: where do I go to sign the petition? Not that I have any intention ever of obeying this idiotic restriction. But if the ban is lifted, the police won't have to worry about keeping an eye on anyone and writing tickets.

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey! chevygal, knitting is a noble calling :)

Centrist 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm outa here .. In the famous words of John McLaughlin ... BYE BYE!

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

still don't kno what im growin a set of though...??? i have a set of..eyes n ears n arms n legs n well a set on my chest haha but not quite sure where u were goin with that one....

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

chevy - Nah, I get it. I miss the fact that some of my fave childhood pastimes will probably never be a reality for my own child. But things change and we have to change with them. Its up to us as parents to find a way to fill the gap :)

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

chevy - My bad lol Have a man-type thing in your life? Feel around below the belt and it'll eventually come to ya :)

Umm .. no pun intended ewww

SoooRYy!

galfromku 9 years, 10 months ago

I am not "unpatriotic" and DO like to spend time with family and friends celebrating the holidays. Just because I think the ban is a good thing, does not mean I am a stick in the mud or self centered. I like the person's idea that said to ASK a farmer or someone in the country if you can shoot off fireworks on their land if you leave it as clean as you found it. (Can you tell I was a scout leader?) Or perhaps you could find a football field or huge parking lot. The point is... people don't want their homes destroyed. Of all the people I have seen act stupid with fireworks; they have all been "adults". The kids could show us a lesson or two in safety. Most neighborhoods are cramped. Cars are parked everywhere. Two different years family members of mine got hurt and we had to for call ambulance assistance. Once a bottle rocket went off and went along the road instead of up in the air. My son (who was 5 yrs old at the time) got hit between the legs right between his knees. He had sweat pants on at the time and it caught them on fire and burnt his legs. Another time my husband was sitting about a half block away in a lawn chair when a Saturn Missile was lit. (Those are those awful things that have about 30 bullet type things in a little box.) The neighbor down the street lit it and it fell over. One of the "bullets" flew clear over to us and actually shot my husband in the stomach. I can't tell you how he screamed and how it hurt. Those things explode eventually. When he got hit with it, he jumped and knocked it to the ground. It then exploded right by his feet. The paramedics said he was lucky it did not shoot right into him and then explode. Still, he had a hole about an inch big that took months to heal completely. Both of these times, the person lighting them was NOT screwing around, the reality is, those things are really not regulated and have some serious potential hazards that they can cause. Just think what could happen when someone who acts stupid with them gets a hold of them. I cringe every year watching fireballs drop to the sky over my home and wish people would take them to somewhere more open, where there is a less chance of obstacles that can be dangerous. I LOVE to watch fireworks! But until you can guarantee me that YOU can control where they land... Even when the wind blows... I am all for the ban... and don't tell me I don't have the right to protect what is mine. I would rather go watch a big display and have a safe time remembering what the meaning of the holiday really is really about ... Remembering how lucky we are to have our freedom and thanking the people who gave their lives to make it so... did anyone have that discussion with their kids that holiday weekend? Or were they all too busy whining about why they can't risk setting someone's home on fire or causing injury? GOD BLESS AMERICA!

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

dont_panic, im not a parent..yet...but i kno what ur sayin, it just ticks me off that immature people that R parents let their children, n prolly even themselves, do stupid things with fireworks to make it a bad thing.... watchin the movie the sandlot during their lil 4th of july picnic/fireworks display makes me so sad n angry that my kids in the future wont get to experience that kinda thing....its just too bad other people have to ruin it for those of us that R careful n clean up after ourselves...guess im just a country girl at heart n momma taught me well that u dont act stupid n u clean up after urself...leave the place lookin better than how it was when u got there....

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

dont_ panic haha well i kno whats below that belt...blushes ...but i DONT wanna grow a set

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

gal - That was my "ask a farmer" comment :) And, thank you. You are absolutely right!

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

chevy - We're a dieing breed .. those of us willing to take responsibility for the safety and clean up of this particular holiday. And .. .. ..

WHO'VE YOU BEEN TOUCHIN'??

lol

hottruckinmama 9 years, 10 months ago

thats right chevygal. what your momma taught ya. live like that and you'll usaully be okay no matter where your at.

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

dont_panic..wouldnt U liek to kno!?!? hahaha

hottruckinmama....yup momma knows best..and lemme ask ya...truckin momma...CHEVY truckin? hehe cuz i am..drive a silverado baby!

dont_panic 9 years, 10 months ago

Okay, I need to sign off .. BUT ..

chevy - See my first post on this subject. I'm not saying that what my family did this year is for everyone, but its an alternative. We had a great time! We spent the day with family and friends. We didn't catch any fish (I don't fish anyway .. I tanned and swam a bit.) We had a bunch of good food and, once dark hit, we shot off some of our own. The display at the lake was fantastic.

I don't know about everyone else on here but, fireworks .. the good ones .. are freakin' expensive!! We personally can't afford these types of things. We spend between $30 and $50 each year and only bother to purchase one or two finale works. Everything else are sparklers, diamond satellites and fountains (mostly.)

Save a buck or $50 and watch others spend they're fortnightly earnings on the mega box of works lol

Have a safe evening wavewave

Redneckgal 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey chevygirl..silverardo's rule!! I got a 94. Its fallin' apart slowly but surely. But I'd rather push that as drive anything else.

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

yea im sure it will break everyone who is reading this' heart..but i g2g too....and for those of u that have read my posts b4 haha wonder if there will b any cute guys on the street tomorrow???

xoxo bye folks

chevygal 9 years, 10 months ago

hell yeah redneckgal...ur name and mine describe me best...redneck gal that loves to drive them chevys.... i love em LIKE A ROCK! ; )

bye every1

sunflower_sue 9 years, 10 months ago

TOB, VERY BAD ADVICE: "move to the country"

DO NOT move to the country! We have: various rodents, mountain lions, bobcats, snakes, skunks, and many ill tempered, rabid beings. We will shoot your "safety" lights and your dogs. And most importantly, we don't want you! Ya'll have a nice day in the purdy city. >:P

repeat: "I LOVE THE CITY LIFE!"

Redneckgal 9 years, 10 months ago

Sunflower Sue...AMEN! Cracks me up how these people move out in the country on a gravel road and then decide they don't like dust! Duh! So then they insist the county come and oil the road so the dust don't blow in front of their house. Meantime they ruin everyone else's vehicle. And don't even get me started on what they do when the power is out for a week because of an ice storm! It is really something to behold let me tell you! At least its not to long after that and the for sale sign goes up most of the time!

Redneckgal 9 years, 10 months ago

Oh yeah and least I forget what happens when you burn off a field in the spring or a brush pile. Oh My God!

feedupwithreadingyourcrap 9 years, 10 months ago

I was moved to finally take the time to post a comment on here. Lifting the ban simply because nobody obeys it is about the most unintelligent comment I have seen on this forum. Here's the deal...murder is "banned" right? It being illegal and all. But hey, there are thousands of murders everyday...so I guess we'll just make it legal from here on out. I mean, since no one really follows the law anyways. Right?? Thank Whoever none of you actually have the authority or position in life to do anything except post your comments here.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 10 months ago

Well hell I just wouldn't read it anymore than.

average 9 years, 10 months ago

sunflower_sue 9 years, 10 months ago

Redneckgal, Let me tell you about the time we were burning off a field, (with our required permit) we had a sitter set up for the evening and were all dressed to go out and all the friggin city folk driving by the field were in a panic and calling the fire station every other minute ("Oh, my gosh, grass is on fire!!!"). The fire dept got so disgusted with all the people with cellphones calling him that he made us go put out what was left of the fire (did I mention we had a permit???!!!). I got out of my "pretty clothes" and spent the rest of the night putting out smoldering logs in the middle of an empty pasture. What's with city folk thinking that a glowing log is more dangerous than driving along a two lane highway in a panic trying to use their cell phone to call the fire dept? I'm still miffed over that one. I looked darn good that night! (Did I mention we HAD A SITTER???!!!) Geesh!

beatrice 9 years, 10 months ago

Okay sunflower_sue, that was a pretty funny story. Since I have been outed as a city slicker here today, I must admit that I might have wanted to call a fire department if I saw a fire somewhere. It would have made sense, even if I would have been uninformed and dumb about the whole grass-burning thing. The people in the wrong weren't the mistaken do-gooders, but the fire department that refused to acknowledge your permit.

I don't own a cell phone, myself, so if your house were actually on fire I wouldn't have been able to help.

By the way, were you headed to the city for your big night out?

Fangorn 9 years, 10 months ago

fedupwithreadingyourcrap: I must admit agreeing with part of your argument. Widespread breaking of a law isn't a good reason for repealing it. However, the comparison you make is absurd. "Murder", by definition, is the deliberately caused death of one person by another. The fireworks ban is intended to prevent even the possibility of unintentional injury to others or deliberate damage to property.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 10 months ago

Beatrice, Yep! We were on our way to the big city to spend some of our hard earned cash. (Unlike some city folk who drive out here, park on our roads, and watch the deer roam free, chucking their Sonic trash out of the window for my dog to find, drag up in my yard and scatter it hither and yon for me to pick up the next morning!) Whew! I feel better, how about you? ;0)

Liberty 9 years, 10 months ago

Murder is doing damage to a person or property which is punishable under common law and has been since day one... A fireworks ban is preventive justice (Marxist in nature) and does not necessarily do harm to a person or property. It is not punishable under common law.

Liberty 9 years, 10 months ago

Do you think "they" would look at the petition if it was signed??? The ban (I won't call it a law because the people didn't make it) was created without a petition, and they want a petition to eliminate it??? Seems to me that they could simply drop the ban and return to the way people had it before it got all messed up.

jonas 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey, you can edit your profiles now

pierced_daisy 9 years, 10 months ago

Bob says, "I don't give damn about fireworks and I cheer gleefully everytime I hear some idiot blowing up his face, fingers, etc... Or for that matter, lighting someone else's house, car, etc... on fire. "

Well here is a little tidbit about me. I am a burn nurse. I take care of the aftermath of the fourth of july. I see the burned hands, the destroyed faces, the exploded hands, the demolished torsos, and I take care of the burned egos of 20 something kids. I also see the small children supposedly under parental supervision. July is our busiest month. We plan for it nearly a year in a advance. Why do you think it is so? Sure, we get people throwing gasoline on fires, sure, we get those who accidentally roll over onto a campfire while drunk and sleeping. But, we overstaff on the fourth of july and the days following because time has shown that is our busiest time. People dont use common sense. We have patients everywhere from black jacks to huge displays. Oh and hey guess what? We dont just get those people who light the fireworks. We get whole families who are homeless and burnt nearly beyond repair because their neighbor in the city limits thought it would be cool to light a few jumping jacks; it destroyed their neighbors house, their health and almost their infant son.

I am unfortunate enough that during the summer I am always extremely busy cleaning up after careless acts. People not using common sense with these explosives; aka fireworks. But hey, please do go and lift the ban against fireworks. I consider it to be job security.

Furthermore, I dont agree with "city folks" going to the country to shoot their contraband. Please, disregard the law, go to someone elses property, possibly set it on fire and bolt. Or, send endless streams of litter onto their land which they harvest for a living. Seems selfish for a few nights of fun to disregard others property and way of life. Would you allow someone to shoot off fireworks in your workplace?

pierced_daisy 9 years, 10 months ago

(post continued)

We all need to stop and think here people. Consider that this IS a college town. Not all of the residents use common judgement. This is not just a small town filled with families, with couples just starting out. This is a comglomerant filled with young college students abdicated from their youth, a community of families, a community of people trying to make their way and additionally, a wonderful outter city limits of kind and caring country folk who dont want our disregard for the law littering their land.

But then again, what do I know? People's disregard for the law puts food on my table. It pays my bills. After Im done taking care of people's extremely painful burns at work I go home on the weekend of the fourth trying to get some sleep during the day only to be awakened by a possible patient exploding a firework nearly four feet from my window.

I still firmly believe that a compromise can be made. Make them legal in certain parks. Make it a community service deal to clean up the mess. And get the community vote to decide if this is an appropriate decision. Yes, we gained independence on the fourth and that is cause to celebrate. However, it is not a cause to inflict harm upon unsuspecting homeowners, children and peoples property. We fought for our freedom on that day and that is to be celebrated. Freedom is earned, not inflicted upon the unwilling.

Liberty 9 years, 10 months ago

Pierced_Daisy, the communist system also believes that they should use big government for "preventive justice" and prevent you from hurting yourself. How about the bill in Congress to "leave no child undrugged." That way you can't tell what government is about to do to you either.

There is no replacement for responsible parents. Using government to "keep you safe" is not the answer. (Unless you want to live in a police state which is where we are rapidly heading. Direct your wrath at parents, not the public by engaging in communistic styles of government to use preventive justice (Marxist style government.

Laws are not there to worship or obey unless they are there at the pleasure of the people. Not by just a few at the top that think they know how to keep you safe from yourself, but the real aim is for more and more control.

Liberty 9 years, 10 months ago

We celebrate Independence Day because our forefathers fought to keep us free from tyranny. The least we can do is to try to follow after their example of what style of government we should support and what they died for and restrain government to the boundaries of freedom. We certainly shouldn't be trying to implement police state controls on Independence Day or give credence to Marxist style government. Better known as "preventive justice".