Previous   Next

Have you ever received an e-mail that you suspected of being a scam?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 8, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yeah. They said if I gave them my checking account number to withdraw $300, they would give me a computer, a digital camera and five magazine subscriptions for a year.”

“Oh yeah. I never opened them because I knew they were a scam. Anything involving free anything is probably a scam.”

“Yes. They are usually from a bank with an official logo asking me to contact them about a security problem with my checking account number. I’ve heard people in the banking industry say it’s a pretty common scam.”

“Yeah I have. It was about someone sharing property with me or something.”

Related story

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 5 months ago

What a coincidence that this question appears RIGHT after I visit my Yahoo Inbox and find an email from "eBay" asking for my checking and credit card numbers because my account is "suspended".

VERY fishy business. Watch out for that crazy nonsense.

Vote for Kumar... he'll make all your wildest dreams come true.

enochville 9 years, 5 months ago

I get them all the time in my hotmail account. I think hotmail is the worst for junk mail and scamming mail. Since it is so bad, I use that account anytime I need to give an email address to register on some site. That of course multiplies the spam, but it keeps the spam out of my work/school account.

Just a word to the wise, don't open suspicious email. Often the message will contain some kind of spyware or worse. At best, you've only let the sender know that your account is active, so they can send more. Don't unsubscribe to junk mail through a link in the message for the same reasons. From time to time we see stories of people who got ripped off through these scams. On the one hand I feel bad for them, but on the other I marvel and how gullible some people are. Have some healthy scepticism.

Grammaton 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey everyone, I've been using GMail for some time now and have never received junk or scam e-mail. It's hosted on a very secure server and offers over 2 GB of storage. If anyone is interested in a GMail account, I have 50 invites that I haven't used, so just speak up if you'd like one. :)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

Yep, got a VERY official looking one from ebay asking me to verify my password. Idiot that I am, I fell for it and then I had to spend 2 days changing ALL my other passwords in the computer. That was some time ago and as far as I can tell, nobody used that info to harm me (Knock, Knock).

And I swore it could never happen to me! DUMB!

neopolss 9 years, 5 months ago

Most banks will never send an email. Ebay has changed their system now to issue alerts when you login, so no more ebay emails to confuse you (now it is definately a scam).

Anyone who uses a PC needs to learn better protection. This means firewall and AV, and spyware sweeps. And for everyone's sake, no more IE!

Take back the web - download firefox today

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

My idea for question of the day for tommorrow.

Do you think that these new-born snow leapards are cute?

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't open anything that comes through email unless I recognize the person sending it to me.

Better safe then sorry. Have a wonderful day everyone........its FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!

neopolss 9 years, 5 months ago

What's their religious background? Are they conservative or liberal? Nothing short of media bias jonas, and you know it ;)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

Neopolss, I've got AV, spyware, & firewall. But you lost me on IE. What is IE?

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

IE is just internet explorer, the standard web engine. And I have to agree, firefox is much, much better. It doesn't kill all of the pop-ups, but definately most of them.

I had one email that said a priest or something in some other state, "a true benefactor" had passed away, and I was on the list to recieve some inheritence, which was odd as I had never met the man before. But it used lots of flowery, flattering terms for me, and made me feel all warm and fuzzy. . . so I read it through before deleting it. I could see some greedy schmuck getting hosed by it, and I can't say they wouldn't deserve it.

twiggle 9 years, 5 months ago

I get lots of spam. Never have any problems though, I use a Mac. (Seriously. This isn't just some crazy Mac zealot thing. Even the head of Intel says that if you want a secure computer you should use a Mac)

And you can get firefox at http://www.mozilla.org or http://www.firefox.com

You can get Spybot at http://security.kolla.de/ And Ad-aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

and free (pretty good) Anti-virus at http://www.grisoft.com, look for AVG Free Edition

Microsoft also has an antispyware app, seems ok, but they're looking to buy out the folks who run Gator, a major adware/spyware company, so they've changed the recommended action for Claria/Gator products from 'quarantine' to 'ignore.' Wonder if they're trying to get in good with them.

I'm not gonna give a direct link to it because... well... I think that sort of behavior is appalling. Just go to http://download.microsoft.com and look around for it.

christie 9 years, 5 months ago

The Nigerian Scam... here's what I do. This is loads of fun, you Email them back all interested, then you inquire about how to send them money or what part of your bank account they want. I like to get them all excited and send them tid-bits for bogus info. When they get antsy and rude then I act like I was just about to send them everything but now they made me mad.

Or, I send them a reply that I'm so sorry about what happened to their uncle it must be horrible, but I was scammed by another person already, and how I wish they had sent me an Email first, because I know they are honest.

I can't believe people actually fall for these scams.

happyone 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't receive a lot of spam mails. I have lots of goodies to keep them away : )

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

Well, guess I'm good. I don't use IE. I use SBC Yahoo and hardly ever get spam. (but it did let that @#$% ebay spoof through!)

Tasslehoff 9 years, 5 months ago

Spammers aren't even deserving to be called spam, they are the jelly that is left over in the can....I've seen every form of scam, canadian pharmacies, 200 dollar baskin-robbins gift card scams, watch out for the pay pal and e-bay look alikes, they will NEVER ask for your info again! Oh and I love the lower your house payment ones....as if I had a house...lol...I really wish we could come down hard on these guys, it's a total waste of internet traffic that could be better used for other things, but with them being offshore...we can't reach them, and the isp's that provide them the means to spam, don't really care as long as they get their money. Never complain to an isp about a spammer, more than likely (IF not a well known US provider) the spammer will find out who complained and your spam will come by the truckload. Found this out the hard way complaining about a spammer in Brazil. So take care folks, and just ignore and delete the darn things, oh yeah, after that, I got nice little packages that norton said were not nice for my computer if you know what I mean.

neopolss 9 years, 5 months ago

Avast is also a good AV. I find it a bit better than AVG as it can run before the OS is loaded and can kill any virus by that manner. The free version is at http://www.avast.com

IE has more problems than simply popups. It utilizes activeX, and while it is good in theory (and used for windows update), it is being abused by many third parties. In layman's terms, activeX allows a program to be installed on your computer without your approval, and often without your knowledge. This can be anything from adware to addons.

IE also suffers from many web invulnerabilities. Including viruses. Meaning, you can get a virus on your computer simply by visiting a site, as the virus is ran in the background. Currently firefox has only one flaw, IE has had several and continues to contain new ones.

One more word of advice - especially cable users. Make sure you have a windows login password. Without one, your computer is a porch with the front door open.

Topside 9 years, 5 months ago

I am not popular, I only get emails from my old lady. However, I get scam emails everytime she asks for money...and yet I can't say no.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

Where do YDP come up with this stuff? Horny goat weed! That is hilarious.

Yes, I have been spammed but never scammed.

neopolss 9 years, 5 months ago

How about -

Subject: I've been looking for you!

Hey, cum check out my webcam!

craigers 9 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I have received scam emails before. Oh yeah, and Italian Princess watch out because I have even received scam emails from places that obviously track who emails you and they put a friends name in the from area of the email. Very tricky.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

TomF, you can have multiple users on any good OS. Mac is good. Obviously, I'm partial to linux. But yes, if anyone is running Windows, stop using IE as soon as possible.

Switch to almost anything is a security improvement. Firefox is a great free option.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

nod. XP is more powerful than 98 (and prettier). Though, for restricting user priviledges, linux is far better. That said, XP is a nice OS... work with whichever you're comfortable with.

I still maintain that IE is total dung.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 5 months ago

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is spyware itself. It removes all of the competition's spyware, but keeps the stuff that's affiliated with Lavasoft.

Definitely use Firefox, NOT IE.

Jonas those kittens appear to be in some sad shape! Look at their expressions! Looks like they're in excruciating agony!

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

Don't most people scan with spy-bot and adaware anyway?

GEB, where did you read about this with adaware? I would be interested to know. It's part of my job (along w/ others in the office) to keep our lab machines clean and fast. The newest adaware (v. 1.06), I have been most impressed with.

Let me know.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

Also, technically, a program isn't spyware unless it installs without your consent.

Many forms of spyware are programmed to monitor a user's internet activity, usually to report back to businesses so they know which kinds of popups to blast your machine with, or keylog usernames, passwords, etc. for example.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

I hear LJW censorship sirens... better be careful ;)

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 5 months ago

Yes jt and they are gonna get the whole damn board shut down if they don't watch it.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

My yeh! was for utter depravity not censorship. Sorry to be unclear. We've fallen and we can't get it up?

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

Udder Depravity sounds like a topless revue for cows.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

i've never "suggested removal" but sometimes these threads do get nasty.

I was thrown a few low-blow character assassinations by a some individuals on a thread about JR leaving KS that eventually were removed by the LJW.

I'm a big kid and can take it, but I'm glad at least that LJW makes an effort to moderate so that people don't go crazy... because I think easily some people could.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

OMB, I say topless but you know what I mean! This is udderly ridiculous ;p

The ad hominum attacks are one thing. Good ol' fashioned potty humor and raunchy talk are another. If we can't be bawdy on the internet than what is it for?

hottruckinmama 9 years, 5 months ago

My bet is the tattle tail around here is Carmenilla.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

hottruckinmama, did you join our little lovefest just to bag on me? Both of your posts indicate that is so. Why not join in the fun? Its Friday, c'mon....

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Das, I seem to get a lot of grief on here. I must be a masochist or something ;-)

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

You guys gotta click on highlighter's name and read his/her past comments. I LOL!!!

wichita_reader 9 years, 5 months ago

Oh heavens.

BTW, I've never "suggest[ed] removal."

lovely1 9 years, 5 months ago

it's definitley FRIDAY!!!!!! I get those scam emails all the time. maybe they think one day i'll be dumb enuf to give them all my info. all you uttersuckers have fun this weekend.

simple_simon 9 years, 5 months ago

Carm, you have dreds?

Wow! Cool! You know something? Those D-cup breasts of yours were more than enough to light my fire! But learning (from D_U) that you have dreds has really made the trousers I'm wearing right now feel extra tight "in my frontal/groinal area"!

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, Mister Joe. I don't believe I've ever suggested the removal of a remark. I suppose I could if it'd make you feel better. ;) I've been a bit busy these last few days and have only perused not posted.

Does Carmenilla have a target strapped to her head or something? There's like a mandatory pot-shot-at-Carm every week, it seems. Has she ever said something that sounded like she wanted a comment removed? Maybe I overlooked it.

Oh yeah, the question. I'm pretty stingy about giving my email address out. The one "public" address I use routes most stuff to my junk box, which gets deleted without being looked at. So I may get a great many phishing emails each week. I don't really know. A few have gotten through, though. Some are really clever.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

I so do not have dreads. That was a joke, simple_simon. And I hate trustafarian white kids with dreads the most of all hippie posers!

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

I knew I should've had that bullseye tattoo lasered off of my forehead after that crazy spring break in Cancun!

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

Completely random... (seems to go well with this board) It's friday and tomorrow's my birthday!
Somebody wish me happy birthday....

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

oh, and dreads are hot, Carmenilla. What's the matter with dreads?

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

Happy Birthday, linux_chick!

I just don't like dreads on people who wouldn't have them naturally but have them anyway.

audvisartist 9 years, 5 months ago

Happy birthday linux_chick! Let's go grab a copy of Redhat circa 1996 and do an install... woohoo!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

Man, I've really missed out today! How come when I originally said "purple-headed yogurt slinger" I got zapped? But today, it's all over this @#$% board. There is no justice.

BTW, Happy Birthday L Chick!

Thanks for the love!

You guys are the best :)

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

audvidartist, i'm actually working on getting the iso for Fedora Core 4 this very minute... that's kind of funny.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

Redhat is the company that created the Fedora Core distribution of Linux. The techie talk bothers you TOB? That makes LC sad... check out this link and everything will be better...

Linux is all about inclusion.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

TOB: some of us may have already gone out drinking tonight ;)

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Mister Joe: I knew you weren't accusing. I was just trying to join the fun. It was good speculation, though: no deletions today, so maybe it's someone who hasn't posted today. Makes sense.

linux chick: Happy birthday! Many joyful returns. Are you "of legal age" now? Mister Joe got a bid concerned about that a week or so ago. (I'm still laughing about that!)

TOB: I don't think I've ever been described that way before. But I thank you for the kindness! LOL!

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

Fanghorn: don't worry. tomorrow I'm 23. Yuck that sounds old.

lunacydetector 9 years, 5 months ago

i keep getting spammed by dennis moore and i cannot block his email address or report his mailings as spam.

shouldn't this be considered a spam scam?

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

Give it a rest LD. You know that the Democratic party LOVES you!! Feel the love. Stop being such a sourpuss!