Previous   Next

What are your plans for the Fourth of July?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on July 4, 2005

Browse the archives

“I’m going to a friend’s house. They are going to have their own fireworks display.”

“We’re going out to my uncle’s house. It’s out in the country, so we can shoot off fireworks.”

“Just hanging out with family. We’ll probably barbecue and drink some beer.”

“I’m having about 55 to 65 people at my house, and we’re barbecuing.”

Comments

enochville 9 years, 5 months ago

Going to my in-laws and then to a concert and fireworks in Independence, MO.

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

Video games! I've had my celebrations for the weekend, and my wife's at work. Giant projector screen Samurai Warrior goodness!

Oh, and I-itching. .. .

happygolucky 9 years, 5 months ago

Blowing up stuff. Then onto video games.

jonas-great pic

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

Cleaning up the mess from the 30 friends we had over last night in the rain (shot off fireworks anyway and the lightening just added extra flair). Then going to a friends house tonight or maybe they'll come here 'cause we still have soooooooooooo much food left over. Have a safe one!

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Why, defy the ban of course!

Remember Noah Webster! (since the definition of "lie" still seems to be a bit fuzzy for some out there; if you have trouble finding it, start by cross-referencing "is" and "Bill Clinton" adn go from there)

beatrice 9 years, 5 months ago

I will probably spend it indoors, trying to calm my pets who get spooked this time of year because of all the noise being made by the people who are outside blowing stuff up.

Fangorn: do you really believe that a person lying about a sexual relationship with a woman outside of marriage is the same thing as a person who lies about the reasons to go to war??? And if you do think they are on the same level, why aren't you upset about both? Are you so busy banging the party drum that you have made yourself deaf?

Why say you are to "defy the ban." Why not just say, "I am going to break the law, because I only want to adhere to the laws of which I am in favor." Are you okay when others choose to practice only the laws they like or don't like? That kind of attitude is self-centered and repugnant. Or do you simply see yourself as an anarchist? Will we see you tieing up traffic along Mass. anytime soon?

Liberty 9 years, 5 months ago

Beatrice, do you think that the most important thing to do is to obey a law that nobody voted for? If the city said go jump in the lake, would you also go obey that just because it is the law? The law is not just for people to obey, it is placed there by the people to benefit everyone, like do not murder or do not steal. A law that bans a freedom is no law. It is tyranny and has no place in society. It is Independence Day. Read the Declaration of Independence and compare your thought process to see how well in line you are with that document.

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

Didn't I ask this same question a few days ago.

Plans have changed a bit for my little family. We will go to my mom's in N Lawrence for a BBQ and hang out with the neighbors. Watch the river fireworks from the neighbors house across the street ( not going mosquito river ) then off to the Tee Pee to shoot off the ones I bought for my youngest.

The Pine's should have a great show this year since it may be their last (according to the paper ) and they put on a pretty good show there too. Its hard to think after almost 58 years of being in buisness they may be heading out.

Some people just don't stay in Lawrence anymore to celebrate our Nation's Birthday anymore. They go where they can enjoy a front lawn family firework show like in the old days.

Yes, some people get crazy and dangerous but there are still people who use their brains and are not careless when it comes to fireworks.

Have a great 4th of July everyone with whatever you plan to do today.

beatrice 9 years, 5 months ago

How is blowing stuff up, and sending burning embers onto the rooftops of other people a freedom? Many people actually did want to ban the fireworks because of the health risks, and the extreme annoyance factor. I like to play my music really loud -- should I be allowed to park my car outside YOUR house and blast the tunes as loud as I want? What if it is 3a.m.? According to your "logic," I should have the freedom to do so. And last time I checked, the D. of I. states nothing about blowing stuff up to get my jollies.

One thought: Don't many of the fireworks have little American flags on the labels. By shooting it into the air, aren't you in the process burning the American flag? Traitor. We should lock you up for such anti-patriotism. Plus, they are made in Communist China. Don't you feel proud to support their economy on this day of celebrating America?

ms_canada 9 years, 5 months ago

Happy Fourth of July, all you lovely people. Have a nice time and don't eat too much and don't get into any arguements and ruin your day.

ms_canada 9 years, 5 months ago

beatrice - what on earth got your knickers in such a twist you seem to like to live dangerously. You are taking on two very worthy opponents this day. :-) :-)

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

Theres a noise ordinance of 10 pm I believe that says you can't blair any loud music in you house, car etc .

I'm sorry you are having a bad day.

I hope you day turns out better.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

beatrice has a good point. Every year there is fire damage caused by the 4th celebrations in Lawrence. I understand why homeowners especially would happy about the ban.

I'm all for people having fun and admit that I do wish I could set off in my complex... that said, its hard to get in a hissy when city limits are less than 2 mi away.

It is just entertainment.

beatrice 9 years, 5 months ago

Hello ms_canada. My knickers are just fine, thank you. I just wanted to say something against the constant ranting coming from the right, and I know that the fireworks ban just drives them crazy. (You know, like children, grown ups that aren't that bright really like to look at shiny and flashy stuff.) Actually, the fourth here is rather pleasant these days, thanks to the ban.

italianprincess. Yes, I know there is a noise ordinance -- that is my point. Freedom doesn't mean one is free to do whatever one wants to do, whenever they want to do it. Hence the fireworks and smoking bans (as well as many, many others driving on the sidewalk, for example). And actually, I'm having a wonderful day. Getting some personal work done -- with time for the occasional, editorial aside.

Hope everyone stays safe today, even those who are silly enough to be playing with matches in the pursuit of "freedom" and "patriotism."

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

OK, yard is clean. Leftovers are packed. Had a nap. Decided to go over to the neighbors to hang out and blow up some more items labeled: "WRANING- SHOOTS FLAMING BALLS!" Can't get any better than flaming balls on the 4th! We will try to be safe...neighbor is an ER nurse and I have my certification in first-aid and CPR (just in case).

ms_canada, Have my pineapple dessert ready to go! Let you know how it goes over. ;)

ms_canada 9 years, 5 months ago

OMB - good idea - why don't you start drawing and writing one. When you get it done, send one to me and I will proof read it for you. :o) PS when Diana Gabaldon wants to indicate a grin on her web site she does this (g) (s) this is a smile. Who is Diana Gabaldon? you ask. Why she is the wonderful author of the Outlander series. Look it up. One of the most interesting series of books I have ever read. Volume 6 comes out in Sept. I can hardly wait. Actually if I had to choose my most interesting books I don't think I could manage it. I have read so many that I positively love. You are all so busy today with your celebrations that there are not too many posts so I thought I would just spout off about my favourite subject. bye now. beatrice, glad you've got your knickers on straight. I have a very good friend named beatrice. My name is Lee and she always refers to us and the bea/lee twins. :o)Actually she is french and her name is pronounced bay a treece.

ms_canada 9 years, 5 months ago

OMB - I warn you, they are long books. But don't let that daunt you. Just make sure you read them in order or you will be lost. Outlander comes first. They are about a british nurse who in 1945 just after the war, steps into a cleft in one of the standing stones in a circle, (like Stonehenge) in Scotland and she is whisked back to 1743. She is captured by a band of scots marauders and taken to their castle and can't return to the stones to get back to 1945. The adventures that follow are real nail biters and loaded with history. If you like history, read on. There is some romance and some $ex too. Just a little. :o) Mostly lusty adventure. I hope you do try them.

mcontrary 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh my, I'm afraid I can see a new addiction. Thanks for mentioning the series, I think.

chevygal 9 years, 5 months ago

kns...not bad...not bad at all! ; ) i kno him actually hehe

chevygal 9 years, 5 months ago

oh and for the 4th...its late but its not over yet.....im gonna grab some smokes and some fireworks and im gonna go smoke and blow some stuff up on a roundabout somewhere! whos with me?!?!

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

So, Burcham put on a great show. Much thanx to Enprise Bank!

massst 9 years, 5 months ago

This is my first 4th of july not be able to see the fire works.Im in Kuwait and missing the whole party scene.Thanks for Ljworld's webcam at least i can see downtown lawrence.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

ms_canada is correct about Diana Galbaldon. Awesome series of books!!!

All time favorite, though, Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth"

p.s. flip flops and sparklers don't mix...but I made everyone laugh histerically with my jig.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

Thank you, massst for putting yourself on the line so that we have a reason to celebrate. Glad you got a chance to see a bit of the show.

Keep safe.