Previous   Next

Has our recent defeat changed your opinion about the basketball team?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 24, 2005

Browse the archives

“Absolutely not. I still have faith.”

“No. They just weren’t playing with focus and intensity. They have been getting by on lackadaisical performances, but this will be a good wake-up call. We are still going to win the national championship.”

“No. We only had one bad game. It’s nice to have the undefeated monkey off your back. Plus it was out of conference, so I’m not too worried about it.”

“No it doesn’t. They are still a good team. They can’t win them all. They have been playing a lot of games lately. They still deserve to be No. 1.”

Comments

Libcon 9 years, 11 months ago

What a dumb post. No one in their right mind would say yes to this.

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 11 months ago

By all means NO!! Go Jayhawks! You are still #1 to me!!! Way to Go Coach Self! You have a great team!Sometimes you need a loss to remind you what it feels like!! Rock Chalk GO KU!!!

italianprincess 9 years, 11 months ago

Go Hawks......... You still ROCK in my book.

You will bounce back and make us proud. Keep you heads up and play hard. You know you want to win and we know you do to. Stay focused and strive for the best you can be.

GO KU!!!!!!!!!!! You ROCK Hawks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayhawk226 9 years, 11 months ago

I made the trip to Philly with 12 other alumni friends....there was almost a 50-50% crowd (that showed up in their blizzard).

Very disappointing for every fan there...not often all of Philly was pointing a finger and laughing at one team...but they sure did at Kansas.

It was a nonconference loss, virtually a non-important game...except for the fact that the East Coast media will most likely slightly turn their heads to another team and begin to discount the Jayhawks for one lousy game.

Oh well...what can you do?!!? March, that's where we make a statement, that's where it counts.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 11 months ago

They have been playing a rather stressful schedule. One loss out of 13 is suppose to shake the earth? The team could probaly use a little classroom time and rest.

How about that $24,000 an acre property the school district recently bought?

Bad_Brad 9 years, 11 months ago

I'll trade a whole bunch of losses in January for a few key wins in March. In other words, to answer the question - no, this loss doesn't bother me that much. Unlike college football where one regular season loss virtually destroys your chance at a national championship, in college hoops, everybody loses at some point during the regular season. It's all about how you respond to that adversity. I think Self will have the guys ready to go Tuesday night at Baylor.

lunacydetector 9 years, 11 months ago

they should NEVER wear red. they ALWAYS lose when they wear red.

i'd like some sports nut to give me the statistics of k.u.'s winning percentage when they wear red. i guess 50%

missmagoo 9 years, 11 months ago

Give em a break already, its one game, every team has one and it just makes us better.

I agree on the red jerseys. Use them for special games, not stupid non-conference road games. They should be like wearing throwback jerseys or something!

dubbledownbku 9 years, 11 months ago

Since the red jerseys were brought back last year, KU was previously undefeated in them. The color of jerseys do not influence the game, they are merely something for superstitious people to grasp on to. KU players have showed little heart and desire to win lately, so they deserved to get waxed like that in Philly. Our Prima Donna players, especially Langford, better pull their heads out of their @sses by March, or we will be a 2nd round loser. Self is a great coach, but some of the players look pretty disinterested in even stepping onto the court. They need to remember that it is a privelage to play basketball at Kansas and if they don't see it that way, then get the hell off the court. The team has been eeking out victories since they beat Kentucky, and while i believe in the mantra that a win is a win no matter how many points you win by, we have been more lucky than good as of late. Hopefully Villanova embarrassed our players as much as it did our fans. GO HAWKS!!

Au_contraire 9 years, 11 months ago

Regarding 24k per acre. If the school board had purchased property 10 years ago, what would it have cost then? I'm sure a whole lot less.

This posting is not to comment one way or the other regarding whether the purchase price was good or not on account of I don't have all the facts. But my little strip of property in Lawrence (not even half an acre) is currently assessed at 40k and I doubt its value is going to drop anytime soon.

Is property adjacent to new acquisition still available? And are there figures on what its valuation is?

Like I said, I don't know a lot about this issue.

Regarding Jayhawks: ROCK CHALK GO KU!

craigers 9 years, 11 months ago

I would have to agree with some of dubbledown's post. The Hawks have not been looking like a championship team. They have so much talent and athletes on the team, that Saturday was just embarassing. KU got embarassed because they didn't seem to care. Maybe they will care after the schooling they got from Villanova. You know KU is good when they can beat Kentucky and Georgia Tech, but when Villanova beats up on them, it is a little embarassing. I hope they show better against the stiff competition in the Big 12 Conference games coming up.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 11 months ago

No, it hasn't changed my mind. I STILL think that they are overrated! KU is almost always overrated. It's like they get good standings because of Phog Allen and James Naismith. Every year they are supposed to be so good and then they play somebody out of conference, say Villanova, and get absolutely spanked.

lrod 9 years, 11 months ago

Roy had to win all those games in Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb. by golly! Just to lose the big ones in the NCAA's, Shucks! Who cares about loses that make you better (Roy never figured this one out)!

wichita_reader 9 years, 11 months ago

Hong_Kong_Phooey -- About KU being overrated, here's a thought. Maybe KU received the high ranking because it was entering its second year under a new head coach, returning four of its five starters, and also returning four seniors who went to the Final Four in '02 and '03, and lost in the Elite Eight to the eventual runner up in '04. And then maybe KU held the #2 spot because it knocked off two top 10 teams, one at home, one on the road. But then again, maybe you know more about college basketball than the sportswriters who are paid to write on the subject and vote in the polls.

Yes, the Jayhawk nation wasn't pleased with the teams' performance Saturday, but Villanova is a solid team who will be in a postseason tournament. They beat then #23 W. Virginia at home by 38 points, and should have beat Boston College at BC. Check some facts before you start crying overrated. I sense some jealousy in your post. Are you a bitter MU fan?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 11 months ago

Wichita...are you crazy?! You "sense some jealousy"? Are you part of the psychic connection?? :-0

State all the statistics you want. Second place just means that you were the first loser.

Let me hear it ya'll...."Overrated"!!

wichita_reader 9 years, 11 months ago

Phooey -- lame comeback. One doesn't have to be psychic to recognize or perceive after reading your post that you are jealous of the success of KU's basketball program. If you have a valid argument for your assertion that KU is overrated, I'd love to hear it. If you're just stirring the pot, you might have more luck on a discussion board at the Columbia Tribune or Manhattan Mercury's website.

Fangorn 9 years, 11 months ago

It's one game, for crying out loud! Kansas doesn't just have a good team, they have a great program. January is nothing. March is all that really matters.

Jayhawk226, I was also in the Philadelphia/central Jersey area this last week (nice storm, huh?). As a frequent traveler to the area, I can tell you that sports fans in Philly are generally not nice people. When the Patriots repeat as NFL champions, you can go back and laugh at all of them. I know I plan to.