Previous   Next

How do you feel about Bush’s inauguration?

Asked at Around Lawrence on January 21, 2005

Browse the archives

“The celebration seems really expensive. I heard they brought in a ton of meat for the thing. I can’t imagine it all being eaten. So I’m wondering what they’re going to do with it? Are they going to wrestle in it?”

“This is not a big deal to me. Nothing is going to change except that nothing is getting cheaper. Everything is more expensive.”

“The inauguration is a celebration of democracy and it shows we as a country support democracy. I support President Bush on his second term. I think he’s done everything he could with the obstacles in his way. You can’t please everyone.”

“I’m feeling kind of indifferent toward this whole thing. I’m trying to be respectful of President Bush’s office. But I’m not especially happy about the event.”

“I think Bush is a war criminal and should be prosecuted for war crimes for what he’s done. Other countries aren’t allowed to just invade a country.”

“I feel like Bush spend too much money on the event, which is absolutely ridiculous given that it goes against his conservative values. I’m not spending any money today. I also was upset about the discrepancy of the votes in Ohio. As an American, I feel it’s important that every vote count and if we don’t fight for that it will be taken away from us.”

Comments

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 2 months ago

Tt- The reason that Homeland Security funds were used was to help pay for the security for the inauguration. Do you think that the thousand's of police and special agents just work for free? Are you so stupid as to think that Washington, D.C. was going to pick up the tab??

Yeah, you're right. The Iraqi's were oh-so-much better off when Saddam Hussein was in power. Heaven knows that HE never caused the death's of anyone...

You know what my favorite picture of the week was? The protesters getting sprayed with pepper spray at the inauguration! Hell, I'd give 'em some more money to see that again!

Mister_Joe 9 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure where I stand on this whole Inauguration bit. Presidents like to throw big bashes for themselves! What are you going to do? But I will say this much, though......

"Shalom motherf*ckers"???!!!

merrywidow033, that's just rude! I mean that's bad! You don't help your own cause with phrases such as that one! Yikes! I'm sorry, but you sound disturbed!

MapMadeMind 9 years, 2 months ago

That, Redneckgal, may be the best comment about the inauguration I've heard so far.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 2 months ago

I wore black all day and no I didn't spend not one damn penny and you know what? I loved every minute of it!!

Redneckgal 9 years, 2 months ago

Ingurations should be like weddings-its okay if the first ones big but the second one should be a whole lot smaller.

kns 9 years, 2 months ago

I gotcha, widowkins! But ya know sumthin, 'dow? Dem zamples ya gave are all worth whinin' over! Those zamples are valid whinin' points any person could make. But whinin' about somethin' that ain't valid (like the alleged hanky-panky in Ohio that Courtney was referring to) is silly, childish, and a complete waste of time! Sheeet!

Know whut I'm sayin'?

kns 9 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, Don, now tell that one to ol' Toddy Boy! And, oh! Whatever you do, don't shout! You wouldn't want him to accuse you of being a Rush O'Reilly, now would you??!!

merrywidow033 9 years, 2 months ago

kns- since you tend to pick and choose what you want to read from what people have to say, i feel a response is meaningless. however, you MISSED my point, and therefore, i feel i should at least take a small stand for myself.

i said anytime you make a complaint makes you, by your own definition, a whiner. i am sure you whine everytime you have to stand in a long line waiting to purchase groceries, then whine about the cashier later on. and i'm sure you, like many many other people whine when you are driving home from that grocery store 'cos the price of gasoline has risen another $0.03 and then when you get home i'm sure you whine 'cos the dishes aren't done, or the dog hasn't been taken out, or 'cos you got a bill in the mail.

face it. you could be just as whiney as anyone else. repulikans whine just as much as their liberal brethren. i was merely stating how i dislike being called a whiney liberal, just 'cos i have a point to make.

donsalsbury 9 years, 2 months ago

...Billion, million, what's a few zeros between friends! Sorry for the mess-up!

donsalsbury 9 years, 2 months ago

I think that no one should spend money on Super Bowl Sunday. What a waste of money! How much are companies paying for ad time?? How much are front-row tickets going for?? I think it's a travesty that my money that I pay to Pepsi and Budweiser are going to fund such decadence! You'd never see Laura Bush bare her breast on national television, intentionally or unintentionally. Although her daughters have been photographed in see-through dresses...

So that's it! I'm not spending a dime on the Super Bowl! No new plasma screen HDTV television, no soda and chips, no lil' smokies and championship t-shirts and hats. And I'm DEFINITELY not going to buy plane or game tickets to go there and spend $80 on snacks at the game. I encourage everyone to do the same!

Listen, people, not spending money makes the economy not work. If you want to put people out of a job, then don't spend your money. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't save (and a lot more than we do now!), but for pete's sake, I'd rather $40 billion is spent on the president of the United States than an equal amount paid for something like the Super Bowl (just to give an example of scale). And the Super Bowl is EVERY year, not every four years. Aside from the fact that this inauguration, with all its added security, cost LESS than Clinton's.

TruckerTodd 9 years, 2 months ago

KNS, Again well played O'reilly. Twist those words and don't address the questions.

I think my point has been made. Good luck to you,

Tt

kns 9 years, 2 months ago

NuckerNodd, when you make assinine/hyperbolic comparisons like our prisons to Nazi deathcamps and Bush to Hitler, you lose all credibility henceforth! I'll say it again......you're an idiot!

Hey widowperson......To simply point out another person's childish (and factually incorrect) whinings/crybaby-like rantings and ravings (like Courtney's comment about Ohio), that does not make me a whiner.

Nice try, though!

TruckerTodd 9 years, 2 months ago

Here are your facts. You may not know this but the internet has news sites other than FOX.

Homeland Security Money http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63896-2005Jan10.html

Carters Costs $3.5 Million Dollars (Washington Times has an article but you have to subscribe) For President Carter's 1977 inaugural parties, organizers couldn't get good food at a reasonable price from the two union caterers in Washington, D.C., said Ceri McCarron, archives technician at the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum in Atlanta. They stayed within their budget by serving pretzels, peanuts, crackers and cheese, which cost about $1 per guest. There were cash bars, too, which kept down the cost and level of alcohol consumption.

Bigot http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/02/24/elec04.prez.bush.marriage/

Liar Just Google Iraq, Enron, 9-11, etc

merrywidow033 9 years, 2 months ago

something that always troubles me is always being constantly taunted as a "whiney liberal". considering anyone making a complaint can be construed as "whiney" wouldn't that make a republikan making a complaint whiney?

furthermore, must all liberal people be lumped into one branch of a group of people? i don't lump all christians as bible thumpers, all teenagers as irresponsible, nor do i lump all republikans as bigots, with low education. not everyone fits one description you see.

so, when you make your next complaint (as im sure you do quite often; be it about poltics, or standing too long in a line at the grocery store) remember, you too are being whiney.
shalom motherf*ckers.

Liberty 9 years, 2 months ago

Why have Soviet secret service 'KGB', General Yevgeni Primakov, as well as Markus Wolfe, the ex-boss of the ''STASI'', the equally feared former East German 'State Security Police' been hired by - and for - the US Gov't.? http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/12/302870.html

There is a implantable under the skin chip (RFID) called the Verichip that can handle fanancial transactions and assigns a number to the individual; which can be seen at: http://www.4verichip.com/verichip.htm

An interesting article about President Bush supporting Global Communist Domination: http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42277

TruckerTodd 9 years, 2 months ago

KNS, Thank you for taking a page out of the O'reilly text book. Instead of hitting the issue you chose to hit directly at me. Well played! I find my analogies work quite well, possibly a bit extreme I admit, but fitting none the less.

Would you care to address supporting a bigot and a liar? Or the use of Homeland Security funds for a party?

Lots of us have grown tired of people like you shouting down others with incorrect or misleading information. You are on our radios, television, and message boards making declarations of supremacy without the truth or moral fortitude to back anything up. Why not answer some questions instead of brow beating your way through a discussion? All people like me are doing is trying to get you to take a good look at the people you align yourself with. Now I ask you again..Do you support bigots and liars?

Tt

P.S. And to pre-empt your knee jerk response. I was not a Clinton supporter either. But since you are in the game of comparing bad to worse I would take him any day over Mr. Bush.

hugs_and_kisses 9 years, 2 months ago

You know, now that you mention it, r_u, it does seem as though there's something oh-so "Freudian" about Kelley's response! I think Kelly's, what's it called?, "projecting" or something like that?? Hmmm.......Interesting.

Jay_Z 9 years, 2 months ago

TruckerTodd, wow, where did you get those "facts" from? Just more hesterical exaggerations from a leftie....kns is right, you cannot be taken seriously.

goatdog 9 years, 2 months ago

Bush and his administration are war criminals. One or another they will pay for their crimes against humanity.

remember_username 9 years, 2 months ago

By-the-by. I can't get Kelly's statement out of my head - now all I have is the image of...no, I think I'll keep that one to myself. Thank you, Kelly! And the American Beef Association thanks you too.

kns 9 years, 2 months ago

TruckerTodd, your so-called "analogies" are silly. Auschwitz??!! Gestapo??!! Huh??!! What??!! You're an idiot, Todd! Your post can not (and should not) be taken seriously by anyone reading this board!

remember_username 9 years, 2 months ago

Admittedly, (and at the risk of being called a whiner) I would have preferred a Kerry inauguration. That being said I think the whole thing (Bush or Kerry) is a waste of money. I think it is fine that people have to pay to attend, and it would be better if they had to pay enough so the government could make some money out of the deal. It already has kind of a rock concert flare.

I thought it was a little funny that the Bush's managed to make a whirlwind tour of all the inauguration balls and still get back to the residence by a little after 10PM. That may have annoyed the attendees who paid a lot of money to rub elbows with the Bush's for such a short period of time. Were they trying to set an example?, or did the secret service insist on a curfew?

TruckerTodd 9 years, 2 months ago

Firstly just because another inauguration cost more than another doesn't make it right. These arguments are always weak. It's like comparing the luxuries of one prison camp to another...Well Guantanmo isn't so bad they didn't even have hot water at Auschwitz so shut up... If you wanted to truly compare pick Carters inauguration where the total cost was less than $1 a person since the economy was in such a decline.

Secondly I don't recall any President pulling money out of the Homeland Security funds to pay for his party. Well actually we didn't have the Gestapo before a few years ago.

If you are a staunch Republican, are you ok supporting a liar and bigot? That is exactly what you are doing, it can't be argued. Quit supporting a man just because he has an (R) next to his name, defend your party. Don't sculpt your beliefs around the party, make the party form to the people.

kns 9 years, 2 months ago

Wow! Six people pictured for this question (instead of the usual four)! Larryville people take their inaugurations quite seriously, or so it would seem!!

Note to Courtney (pictured above)...... Courtney, please! Ohio '04 is not, was not, and never will be like Florida 2000! Okay?! So get over the whole "conspiracy thing"!!! Bush won Ohio fair and square! So stop it already, will ya??!! Geez!! Man! Some people are such whiners!!!

Jay_Z 9 years, 2 months ago

Oh quit your crying liberals.

Punkin~W was elected with 52% or 53% of the vote in 2004, not 49%.

Justin Smith~the President is a war criminal? For goodness sakes you liberals will never get it will you? You all are hopeless.

Yes, the inauguration was expensive, but not the most expensive. I believe that one of Teddy Roosevelt's inauguarations was more expensive and Bill Clinton's SECOND inauguartion was in the $49 million range (in today's dollars). A lot of GW's inauguration money came from private donors, so what's the big deal? Should we stop celebrating things b/c we have soldiers deployed in a war? No! They are fighting so we can live a free and normal life....

Liberals, take a deep breath, it will all be okay....get ready for Hillary in '08. HAHAHAHA

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 2 months ago

Clinton had a $43 million dollar budget for his inauguration...that was in 1993!! Inaugurations are way too costly, but I'm just glad my tax dollars aren't paying for it. Bush is a self-promoting, egomaniacal buffoon, but he shouldn't take too much heat for his inauguration. These big events are par for the course. Kerry would have done the same thing.

consumer1 9 years, 2 months ago

another forum for whiney liberals. This second term is the best thing that could have happened for the United States. I helps to ensure our future is not given away by the liberals.

DaREEKKU 9 years, 2 months ago

I feel like my tax money has been wasted. Granted most of the money was donated, but our money is paying for heightened security. I also feel like our men and women overseas could have used that money more than President Bush could have for a ridiculously large party.

Punkin 9 years, 2 months ago

I feel betrayed.

The system failed. Campaign dollars from corporate donors and an illegally engineered (read: electronic voting system designed by Dieboldt) electoral process have brought Bush to power.

The Inauguration itself was a a travesty--a huge waste of a money and a slap in the face to poor people around the country and around the world.

GW was selected by only 49% of the voting US population. He does not have a mandate.

Further, he does not have the support or trust of nearly 98% of the rest of the word.

Bush's preemptive war on Iraq has left hundreds of thousands deand and wounded, for no good reason.

For those folks who voted for Bush--enjoy your day.

And then prepare yourself for four more long years of war, deficits, dirty air and dirty water, repression of civil liberties, higher local taxes to fund all the thing the Bush administration has mandated but not provided funding for.

And know that this administration, and by association, the American People, has earned international condemnation for militarism, hatred, bigotry and greed.

Inauguration Day 2005 is a day of shame.