Previous   Next

Do you think that 66 is too old to be having children?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on January 19, 2005

Browse the archives

“No, because I think everybody has different abilities and we shouldn’t judge people based on age.”

“My father was 53 when I was born. He is 79 now and he still works, so I guess it just depends on the health of the person.”

“I think that if you are healthy and don’t have any critical diseases, then it is OK. They would have to have a lot of energy, though.”

“Yes, because by the time the children are teenagers, the parents will probably be dead, and it’s gross.”

Comments

consumer05 8 years, 10 months ago

I am currently 23 and married to a 69 year old with our 4 children 5, 3, 2, and 5 months. he is all I could ever wish for in a relationship. I parents totally disapprove of our relationship, but I really don't see what this has to do with her. We're considering having number 5. So I really don't feel age as anything to do with it

Bad_Brad 9 years, 3 months ago

Some demonstrable facts:

*In general, Democrats tend to have abortions at a higher rate than Republicans

*In general, children tend to develop political beliefs that are similar to those of their parents

*Abortion became legal nationwide after Roe v Wade in 1973

*Therefore, a disproportionate number of future Democrats have been aborted since 1973 relative to the number of Republicans

*President Bush's two margins of victory (over Gore in 2000 and over Kerry in 2004) were very narrow

*Anyone aborted from 1973 through November 1982 would have been eligible to vote in the 2000 election, and anyone aborted from 1973 through November 1986 would have been eligible to vote in the 2004 election

*Therefore, abortion very likely cost the Democrats the presidency in both 2000 and 2004

consumer1 9 years, 3 months ago

You know I am smiling don't you.

hugs_and_kisses 9 years, 3 months ago

Ah-ha! I see!

Well, mister davidryan, it would seem, given the particulars of this matter, your assertion about pro-lifers being two-faced was/is just a little bit inaccurate, I would say! Take a deep breath, my friend! I know that your distaste for pro-lifers probably runs very deep, but you still need to get all of your facts straight before you go around shooting your mouth off!!!

craigers 9 years, 3 months ago

The anti-choice crowd isn't exactly as you have depicted them. They believe the choice was already made and if a life is conceived, then they should complete the pregnancy. Therefore this lady, if she could not care for it should give it up for adoption. We believe as a group that life is precious and shouldn't be ended as it is in most cases because it is inconvenient. The medical necessity cases are quite a bit more hairy to carve out, but as a general rule of thumb life should be preserved, not ended because somebody just decided, after sex, that they didn't want a baby. I believe the sex-ed classes covered what could happen when you engage in that activity.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 3 months ago

hugs_and_kisses...yes she had medical assistance to conceive the child.

consumer1 9 years, 3 months ago

Aw, c'mon, I'm not that bad. Let forgive and forget.

hugs_and_kisses 9 years, 3 months ago

Does anybody here know if this 66 year old wanted a baby or not??? Was there medical assistance of some kind involved here? I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that davidryan may be jumping the gun a little with his assertion about a double standard.

davidryan 9 years, 3 months ago

So, wait: it's possible to apply rationale thinking to reproduction?

Doesn't that contradict the have-a-baby-whatever-the-costs mentality of the anti-choice crowd?

How many people who believe the woman in the Journal-World story is too old to have children also believe that women should not by law have the ability to rationaly choose how and when they will reproduce?

What, in the minds of those who believe the woman too old to have a child, should the woman have done? Not had sex? Have an abortion? I smell the whiff of a very strong, unthoughtout double standard. And for that I'm pleased.

The anti-choice crowd isn't on as solid ground as they think.

kansas 9 years, 3 months ago

I think a man or a woman can have a kid at any age they want. But there's one thing to consider....if you are a man, and you decide to have a kid at 75, and by the time your little girl has her first recital or your little boy has his first little league game, you're not there to see it because...........well..............you're dead.............I just think that's sad! Very sad!!

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 3 months ago

I suspect maybe the lady wanted company and maybe a caregiver for her later years? It all sounds pretty unfair to me. I had a girl friend in high school who was raised by her grandparents. They were loving grandparents and they tried there best with her but it still wasn't a great situation. By the time she was 17 she was for the most part their caregiver and she did it gladly because she was a great gal but still it wasn't a normal life for her or for them for that matter.

consumer1 9 years, 3 months ago

Carmenilla, I bet in reality you are a really nice person.I think we just got off on the wrong foot, can we be friends?

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad to know I can take you outta your psychotic and depressed mental state just by tapping out a few lines, consumer1. "Most of us" were pretty worried about your continuing mental anguish and anxiety about welfare moms.

P.S. Its so nice out I don't need a coat. You must be hallucinating all those colors. Need to take your meds?

consumer1 9 years, 3 months ago

Ha ha ha ha ha carmenilla, I am having such a laugh at your expense !! I cannot believe how funny you are. Thanks, makes my day a little lighter, just knowing there are people like you out there!! Have a great day...Oh enjoy wearing your really groovy multicolored coat that only cost you $20.00

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Exactly! Kids can indeed age you. I just feel that the kid is gonna miss out on having a parent that is able to give it their all. I also imagine that her body will hava harder time bouncing back from the pregnancy.

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

Even if they are going to live another 20-25 years, you can bet that the energy needed to actually RAISE that kid, with the sleepless nights, constant care and attention, discipline etc. will be much more lacking in someone at 60-70 than someone in their 20's, 30's or 40's. A child is exhausting, and someone approaching the later years of their life is not going to be able to match the energy output enough to keep up, the kid will either escape their control or drive them into the ground. It's a bad idea, and I'm going to have to side with whoever it was that said that someone doing that is not thinking of the kid, but of themselves.

As with everything, though, it's a generalized idea. I'm sure there are people that age in good enough physical and mental condition to do it. But I would be willing to bet that the percentage is not very large.

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey consumer1....Are you typing out a huge tirade? Hope so....We all need some mindless fun right now!

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

And all the crackhead welfare moms are coming to get ya, consumer1. Look out!!!

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't have to try to make you look like ridiculous. You do such a good job yourself....And it seems I'm not the only one with an argumentative streak. Lay off the coffee, pal!

Bad_Brad 9 years, 3 months ago

pencer - ordinarily, that's true, but if someone else has a child that they cannot support and I end up paying for it via my tax dollars, then it becomes my business. In the case of the 66 year old having a baby, there is a good chance that the child may end up as part of the government welfare system, although I fully admit that I don't know the particulars of this 66-year-old's situation.

consumer1 9 years, 3 months ago

I guess "Most People" are wanting to thank you for speaking for them.

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Take a deep breath, consumer1. "Most people" might think you are a little bit ridiculous in your tone and assumptive tendencies.....

consumer1 9 years, 3 months ago

Carmenilla, you are so quick to criticize, First of all I never stated anything about women under 35 years of age so get over yourself. Secondly, my point which went RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD. Is, we seem to have unrealistic and overated concerns over simplistic half hearted issues such as today's topic. The real tragedy is the people who devalue their own lives and the children they have, while they continue squirting out babies. This is the lifestyle that breeds the ignorance from which YOU speak. However, I can tell you like to argue based on your emotions. Additionally, somethings are implied and understood (for most people). since that is not the case for you, I will state, Yes, there are inherent risk involved for a 66 year old woman to give birth. And since I have to spell it out for you, there are also great risk of birth defects for the child, such as down syndrome. Read this part very slowly and carefully,MY POINT WAS, are you ready???? Too many children are being born into hazardous life styles due to irresponsible people... This woman is low, very low on that list. Do you get it now?? Can I say this any clearer?? And, for the rest of the reader, yes, I am being harsh on carmenilla, but, before you respond to admonish me, re-read her post directed at me. Two wrongs don't make a right, but, what the heck. Sometimes you just don't feel like turning the other cheek. Oh, and when you speak in generalities, (most people) I have to believe you are quite abnormal, I don't know anyone who knows what Most people do or don't do. So, congrats on your superior ability to read minds and understand ... MOST PEOPLE !!

pencer863 9 years, 3 months ago

It's no one else's damn business when or if someone else decides to have children.

And the jerks who have a problem with older people being sexual are the ones who are "gross." Perhaps envious, too. Maybe they'll grow out of their stupidity.

You want to talk about gross? Children having sex, and women being considered obsolete after they pass age 30. Maybe these days, the age of 25 in popular culture.

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

Uh, consumer1, hate to tell you this but most people today under the age of 35 that are having children are NOT crackhead welfare types. What in the heck are you talking about? You seem to forget the considerable risk of older women having children. Also there is no guarantee that this woman has 25-30 years left in her life. You seem to want to demonize young people for having children. Your argument is quite presumptive and your delivery comes off as ignorant and RUDE!!!

Redneckgal 9 years, 3 months ago

I had my first child at 21 the second at 24 and then the last little "surprise guy" at 35. I can tell you I breezed right through the first 2 pregnancies but that last one was a lot harder because I was older. I can't even imagine at 60 or so. Not to even mention the unfairness to the kiddo.

consumer1 9 years, 3 months ago

People are living longer healthier lives. Being more mature would benefit the child being rasied...hopefully. But, why all this tripe about a 66 y.o. woman giving birth, chances are in her favor that she will live another 25-30 years. In my mind, that makes her a much better parent, than the crack heads who give birth to an unwanted child, the welfare Mom's who see another child as an increase in payments, and the mother who has multiple boyfriends sexually assaulting a child who is unloved and unwanted. At the very least, this woman appears to want her child. Yes, she may have shown poor judgement, but she is NOT a crack head dooming this child to an addiction or sentencing this child to a life of poverty. So, save the simpleminded diatribe for those woman who continue to use their uterous as a money machine and produce children as a result.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

First of all is this question about women having babies at 66 or men fathering babies at 66?

I just turned 41 this past December and don't plan on having anymore children. I had my first at 24 and my second at 34. I think its risky for women to continue having children after a certain age. I will be 52 when my youngest graduates from high school and goes off to college, so for me to want another one would be insane. I'm done and this baby producing machine has become out of order.

As far as men having fathering babies at 66 is kinda crazy. Unless they are in terrific shape and can keep up with their child as he grows older and older, I would say no. You figure a man fathering a child at 66 would be 71 when his child started kindergarten. By the time the child were to graduate from the 6th grade he would be 78. Not sure how a 78 year old man would be able to play ball or be active with his child unless he in extreme fantastic physical condition. He would be 81 when his child ended his jr high years and 84 at his high school graduation. An 84 year old man attending a graduation is more likely to be a grandfather.

This is only my opinion though, so to each is own and more power to you if you really want to start having kids so late in life.

Carmenilla 9 years, 3 months ago

I think its kinda scary that a 66 year old woman can have a baby. I mean, what is menopause for? Its your body telling you that you can no longer make babies. That woman must have gone thru menopause so basically they reversed nature with fertility drugs. Anyway, we know men are able to reproduce until they're practically dead but a woman should heed her body and call it quits when menopause sets in. Also, it seems unfair to the kid to have a mom thats old enough to be his grandmother. Weird world we live in today folks!

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 3 months ago

That child will soon realize that mommy will most likely never live to see him (or her?) gruduate from high school. At the very least chances are good that at some point before it turns 18 it will become either a caregiver or an orphan. How fair is that to saddle a child with something like that?

Mister_Joe 9 years, 3 months ago

Well, I don't know, let's ask Tony Randall that question. He impregnated his thirtysomething wife at the age of 76. They ended up having a boy. Oh, wait a minute! Tony Randall died about a year ago at the age of 84. Hmmm.....Never mind!

Poor kid was only 8 years old when his "old man" (literally, as well as figuratively speaking) died!!! Isn't that kinda sad? Tony Randall didn't even live long enough to see his kid graduate from junior high school, never mind senior high school!!!

Kinda makes you wonder what was the point, huh?

FlakeyT 9 years, 3 months ago

I wish they'd ask a question like "Is it live or is it Memorex?" Or a simple "Is it safe?"

BunE 9 years, 3 months ago

Why is Blake Grossenburg green? Also, what is a "critical disease"?

Bad_Brad 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't know if I can bring myself to categorically oppose it, after all, we are talking about the miracle of life here. However, I do think there are valid concerns about the health of the mother as the child grows up, and the welfare of the child in the event that the mother should pass away during his/her youth. As long as the mother has made contingency plans for this (i.e. life insurance plus some sort of custodial arrangement with relatives or trusted friends) then I guess I'm okay with it.

Redneckgal 9 years, 3 months ago

Anyone who does something like that is only thinking of themselves not the child. Its crazy and disgusting.

craigers 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't see the problem, except that it would be pretty hard and that the probability the parent would die while the child was young is really high. Other than that, more power to ya.

Au_contraire 9 years, 3 months ago

Chevy: Ms. Latilla, do you think 66 is too old? Emily: I don't think the temperature makes any difference whatsoever. When you are gonna have a child, you're just gonna have a child. Whether it is 90 or freezing, I don't see how any temperature can be too cold to have a child. My mother had me in the middle of August... Chevy: Emily--too OLD. OLD, not COLD. Emily: Never mind.

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 3 months ago

Who gives anyone the right to judge. GROSS??? I find nothing gross about it. If you can do it then good for you. AMEN

Jayhawk226 9 years, 3 months ago

eewwww...

...thanks alot ljworld.com

I turn 25 this year and have worked so hard to not think about my parents or grandparents ever having sex.

All the work gone to waste because of one thread!

So to quote Austin Powers, "gonna vom!"